Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
On my way through my second playthrough and the hints at Kratos’s role in things to come is extremely exciting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Fuzz posted:

... you're not very familiar with Norse Mythology, huh?

Baldur's death is foretold as the start of Ragnarok, that's specifically why he's made to be nigh invulnerable.

I probably shouldn’t have to be.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Kibayasu posted:

I probably shouldn’t have to be.

I mean, okay? The original games didn't actually explain much about Greek mythology at all, it was just assumed you knew what was up in a lot of cases.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Also my main complaint is that he did very little besides show up and get punched. He wasn’t some kind of relentless pursuer or overwhelming force they had to run away from. For being invincible he was easily beaten (from the players perspective).

Also also I think Kratos should probably explain that some of those “undeserving” people he killed were killed in a pretty hilariously brutal fashion, not just stabbing them of whatever. “There was this one time I used an innocent concubine to jam up a gear to hold a door open until the gear crushed her to death.”

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Fuzz posted:

... you're not very familiar with Norse Mythology, huh?

Baldur's death is foretold as the start of Ragnarok, that's specifically why he's made to be nigh invulnerable.

Which is why it starts snowing right after you kill him and doesn't stop - its Fimbulwinter, the start of a 3-year countdown to the final battle.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s really weird to think of God of War as having boring samey bossfights but the GoW’18 fights are definitely the worst boss fights in the series. The dragon fight was pretty good and I like Sigrun, everything else was a repetitive snore fest.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
You don't need to know Norse mythology. If you do you can pick up on extraneous references here and there and even anticipate some plot and character beats but the game will tell you directly anything that's important to understand.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Kibayasu posted:

Also my main complaint is that he did very little besides show up and get punched. He wasn’t some kind of relentless pursuer or overwhelming force they had to run away from. For being invincible he was easily beaten (from the players perspective).

Also also I think Kratos should probably explain that some of those “undeserving” people he killed were killed in a pretty hilariously brutal fashion, not just stabbing them of whatever. “There was this one time I used an innocent concubine to jam up a gear to hold a door open until the gear crushed her to death.”

I replayed gow 3 recently and managed to forget about that part. What an unpleasant surprise! I’m glad they rebooted kratos

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

haveblue posted:

You don't need to know Norse mythology. If you do you can pick up on extraneous references here and there and even anticipate some plot and character beats but the game will tell you directly anything that's important to understand.

Same as the original games, really.

The whole Ragnarok explanation will undoubtedly show up in the next game.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Nov 18, 2018

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Some thoughts while playing the game as god (of war) intended on Balanced. Just beat a Soul Eater miniboss in caves.

The lock on is really rear end or at least hard to use. Unlike in Souls (or Nioh), lock on doesnt switch targets after defeating an enemy which is annoying me a lot.

I keep forgetting Kratos has Runic attacks.

The levels are pretty, if a bit too formulaic. Chains above ledges are super common Midgard.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I'd love to check out NG+, but I remember during my NG run that the save system is less than stellar. Did they patch in campaign slots or other ways to know what save file is what?

Exquisite Tea how did you manage your save files? I know you do multiple runs of Sony first party games that don't have campaign slots, e.g. Horizon Zero Dawn.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

You can manually save multiple slots now, so no need to manage them.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

You can manually save multiple slots now, so no need to manage them.

Does the save let you know if it's NG+ or not?

Now I remember the issue I had with the save system - 10 slots that you cannot delete individually. The save itself is a single profile that can be moved from different storage mediums, but there is no way to delete the individual slots. Has that changed? I'd love to delete all my old progress saves and preserve a single slot for my NG 100% and roll in to NG+.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

As far as I can remember when you select NG+ it asks what save you'd like to build a loadout from, and it can be a quicksave, manual save, or even another NG+ run that's currently in progress. I never ran up against the max number of slots because I manually saved maybe twice in my entire first run of the game.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

WaltherFeng posted:

Some thoughts while playing the game as god (of war) intended on Balanced. Just beat a Soul Eater miniboss in caves.

The lock on is really rear end or at least hard to use. Unlike in Souls (or Nioh), lock on doesnt switch targets after defeating an enemy which is annoying me a lot.

I keep forgetting Kratos has Runic attacks.

The levels are pretty, if a bit too formulaic. Chains above ledges are super common Midgard.

You should definitely remember Runic attacks more because a few of the ones you can pick up later are really really good.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Bust Rodd posted:

It’s really weird to think of God of War as having boring samey bossfights but the GoW’18 fights are definitely the worst boss fights in the series. The dragon fight was pretty good and I like Sigrun, everything else was a repetitive snore fest.
That's because with the more mature Kratos, the true boss battles take place within.

Joking aside, I'm with you. I was hoping for some more Aesir-stomping action.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

iirc the first God of War had very few big, bombastic boss fights, not unlike this one only having a small handful. I'm hopeful with Fimbulwinter underway and more insane poo poo and gods surely on the horizon, the next installment will give us more of the crazy setpiece battles we crave.

e: I take more issue with how samey a lot of the enemy types and midboss encounters were tbh

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Fuzz posted:

Same as the original games, really.

The whole Ragnarok explanation will undoubtedly show up in the next game.

I thought the game explicitly told you that Baldur would kick of Ragnarok via the dwarfs or Mimir???

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

My only concern about big bosses in new god of war is that the camera angle may make it hard to present the sense of scale while still being a fun fight. In the OG trilogy the fixed camera could zoom around and poo poo to do cool cinematic stuff with these titanic bosses but if you’re stuck looking over kratos shoulder the whole time, I worry you’re gonna be staring at a lot of knees and toenails.

On the other hand they obviously have a great creative team and the dragon fight kicked rear end so I’m sure they’ll figure it out

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Ainsley McTree posted:

My only concern about big bosses in new god of war is that the camera angle may make it hard to present the sense of scale while still being a fun fight. In the OG trilogy the fixed camera could zoom around and poo poo to do cool cinematic stuff with these titanic bosses but if you’re stuck looking over kratos shoulder the whole time, I worry you’re gonna be staring at a lot of knees and toenails.

On the other hand they obviously have a great creative team and the dragon fight kicked rear end so I’m sure they’ll figure it out

Yeah I liked the dragon fight a lot even though it had a kind of dull gimmick. The fight with the brothers loving owned as did Baldur even though it was heavy on scripting.

I'm so pumped for fimbulwinter, poo poo is going to get wild. The entire first game was the most chill quest in the most chill version of the world, can't wait for the real crazy.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Ainsley McTree posted:

idk, I think the game did well enough using the uninterrupted camera gimmick to not be stuck behind Kratos the whole time. I definitely got a great sense of scale with some of the sparing panning shots they did. If anything having the camera up close behind Kratos almost makes the scale seem bigger to me, just fighting some huge loving beast that towers over you to such an extent.

At any rate I think they can def work those swopping shots in and poo poo if need be.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

esperterra posted:

idk, I think the game did well enough using the uninterrupted camera gimmick to not be stuck behind Kratos the whole time. I definitely got a great sense of scale with some of the sparing panning shots they did. If anything having the camera up close behind Kratos almost makes the scale seem bigger to me, just fighting some huge loving beast that towers over you to such an extent.

At any rate I think they can def work those swopping shots in and poo poo if need be.

I’m just thinking of your fights with the larger enemies like trolls; you just kind of get in there and whack em in the leg and you can’t even see their face really until you roll to dodge something. I’m trying to think of how they’d handle something like a fight with a giant or a bigger dragon that doesn’t rely on “thou must attack at range” gimmicks

I guess they could just zoom out the camera a little. I dunno I trust em.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

esperterra posted:

Yeah I don't need the camera to zoom out for me to go "holy gently caress that thing is big" and I think being Kratos view for some stuff really hammered home the scale. I hope they perfect the camera and keep it. It's great in this first iteration and I reckon now that the team have all their nuts and bolts for part 2 that it will be spectacular.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Ainsley McTree posted:

I’m just thinking of your fights with the larger enemies like trolls; you just kind of get in there and whack em in the leg and you can’t even see their face really until you roll to dodge something. I’m trying to think of how they’d handle something like a fight with a giant or a bigger dragon that doesn’t rely on “thou must attack at range” gimmicks

I guess they could just zoom out the camera a little. I dunno I trust em.

Fair w/r/t the trolls and stuff. Granted the trolls got loving boring real quick for me in general, and the golems as well. Just some visual changes would have really helped that for me, even if they invariably all played the same when you fought them.

With the dragon fight, or the setpiece at the end with Baldur and Freya controlling the giant, I think they did really well with the fixed camera by not having it stuck to Kratos' shoulder the whole time. I definitely got the sense of scale in those battles and I think they could do even more crazy poo poo in future games if needed.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The next God of War won't be out for at least another 3 years and on a new console, so I don't think SMS is necessarily married forever to the idea of the close camera if it doesn't suit the action of whatever the next game is going to be like.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Who knew that in tyool 2018 I would be preparing my body and soul to probably buy a console almost entirely to be able to play a God of War game at launch.

Usually only Resident Evil or Bayonetta gives me such an urge...

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I won't. :smug:

(because Horizon 2 will probably come out first)

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

exquisite tea posted:

I won't. :smug:

(because Horizon 2 will probably come out first)

hmmm fair and also true for me as well now that you mention it

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

exquisite tea posted:

The next God of War won't be out for at least another 3 years and on a new console, so I don't think SMS is necessarily married forever to the idea of the close camera if it doesn't suit the action of whatever the next game is going to be like.

I think they can use it better. It dynamically pulls out for big showstopper moves. It's also kind of necessary for throwing the axe since it's a pretty aim heavy thing.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

God I love Hyperion Slam

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Objectively speaking the idea of a game being exclusive to one console should enrage me about how monopolistic it is, but I’m not sure I will be able to help myself with the prospect of Horizon 2 and BoI 2.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Phobophilia posted:

Objectively speaking the idea of a game being exclusive to one console should enrage me about how monopolistic it is, but I’m not sure I will be able to help myself with the prospect of Horizon 2 and BoI 2.

Objectively speaking if the company that makes the console also paid for all of the development of the game, it makes zero sense for them to put it out on any sort of competition's device.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Console exclusives are pretty much the only way we get single-player action-adventures with AAA production values and no lootboxy monetization schemes now, so if buying a Playstation 5 is what it takes then so be it.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I will always buy PlayStation thanks to Mr House. I'm a House man for life

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I will always buy a PlayStation 'cause I've always liked them more than Nintendo or xBawx.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s not a monopoly because making a game doesn’t stop anyone else from making it. Nintendo could have just made “Speedy the Frog” exactly the same as Sonic, Microsoft could release “Deity of Combat” about dude throwing an axe Hell it could even be GOOD!

A monopoly would be if Disney bought Sony & Nintendo and then only kept producing X-Boxes.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Just finished Alfheim section and I'm warming up to the game. Switching the difficulty to Balanced definitely helped so every new encounter doesnt end in death.

The camera and lockon are still imo really bad compared to beat em ups like DMC, Bayo or even Rising.

Still the responsive controls and the sheer amount of different options you have in combat makes it really fun to play.

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Nov 24, 2018

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

WaltherFeng posted:

Once I stopped using lock on the game got way easier. It's probably the only real issue I had with the game.

You really don't need it as all it does is pull your attacks, and and therefore Kratos unto places you don't want them/him. Because the camera is so close, Kratos turning left to swing at a locked on target can get you killed if you also have a target to the right, and you can still easily hit the target on the left without turning at all if you don't lock on.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Ill try disabling lock-on. Thanks for the tip.

Just got back from the summit. Freed another dragon which was a huge difficulty spike. I was probably underleveled but managed to beat them using my bare fists.

Something Ive noticed that fighting with the axe usually gets you killed against tough guys. Its a bit weird balance issue but unarmed combat is pretty fun so its not a big deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
ok i'm at the Dark Elf on GMGoW and its the first time in the game i'm feeling like maybe something is imbalanced.

First of all the save system is ridiculous. I tried using one of my talismans to refill my rage meter before the boss fight, so I waited , used the cooldown like 2-3 times and saved manually after my meter was full. Now even if I load that exact save, it just loads me as i was at the checkpoint closest to that save, with no rage. I honestly can't even tell what the point of making a manual save is if it just defaults your manual save to "closest checkpoint".

But this dark elf boss man. His little light bombs take 1/3 of your health and his "Instant death from anywhere" dive attack are really trying my patience, and nowhere else in the game have I felt like my lock-on was behaving so erratically. I understand the darkness affects the lock-on, but the number of times the boss flies into the air and kills me a split second later from off screen is totally absurd. For reference i killed Sigrun on give me a challenge in about 45 minutes of attempts, Im cresting hour 3 on this loving elf loser.

EDIT: HA HA I posted this and now when i load it instead of full health i mysteriously only have 2/3 of my health what the gently caress game

EDIT 2: Got it jesus gently caress elves

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Nov 28, 2018