Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

isk posted:

God of War and Ghost of Tsushima are the main reasons why I'm annoyed about PS5 shortages. They look great on PS4 but they're fully gorgeous at 60 fps

Yeah I just played Tshushima for the first time after buying it for PS4 and then not playing it because I knew I'd pick up a 5 soonish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
I'm resurrecting this thread in the hopes that people start posting now that you can play this game on PC

I really loving like it. A lot.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Play posted:

I'm resurrecting this thread in the hopes that people start posting now that you can play this game on PC

I really loving like it. A lot.

Takes a lot of adjusting after the old games but I'm liking the new format. Doing my first run on Give Me God Of War and it's absolutely kicking my rear end but after leaving the light elf place I'm finally getting a hang of it enough to feel sort of competent in combat. Understanding that I can have Atreus lock something down with arrows while I run in for a charge heavy is a lot better than keeping distance and throwing my axe 50 times to kill the weakest enemies.

Performance has been mostly good so far, it's as solid a port as everyone says. Had a few moments of major slowdown during cinematic moments but I think that's a just a case of my GTX 1070 showing its age at this point (and my TR1950x not being a gaming CPU to begin with). Would love to turn everything to ultra since the game looks amazing, maybe I'll get lucky enough to buy a 3070 if I enter the Newegg Shuffle another hundred times.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Jumped on this as well. Are the default controls optimal or do you want to switch to classic? Triggers for the attack seem odd to me after the PS2 games (and other brawlers), but if it's worth it I can see if I can retrain myself.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Default controls probably make it easier to keep arrows flying during combat since your thumb won't be occupied with attacking.

nominal
Oct 13, 2007

I've never tried dried apples.
What are they?
Pork Pro

PageMaster posted:

Jumped on this as well. Are the default controls optimal or do you want to switch to classic? Triggers for the attack seem odd to me after the PS2 games (and other brawlers), but if it's worth it I can see if I can retrain myself.

I'm using the default and it was smooth enough that I totally forgot that the previous games even used the buttons for attack.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
I guess it lets you move the camera while attacking so maybe that's the point. I'm still smashing face buttons and getting severe finger cramping, but I see the benefit of freeing up my thumb (tho not enough to use it on other games).

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Just finished it. It's one of the best games I've ever played, definitely top 20 at least. Great story, gameplay, progression, all great.

The Loki thing is a bit weird but we'll see what happens. If Mimir isn't in the sequels I will RIOT.

Kaddish fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jan 20, 2022

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Credit to Sony, if the sequel is PS exclusive for ~3 years, which I assume it will be, I might have to buy a PS5.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Kaddish posted:

Credit to Sony, if the sequel is PS exclusive for ~3 years, which I assume it will be, I might have to buy a PS5.

Sony Emperor voice: "Everything is proceeding as I have foreseen it."

Schnitzler
Jul 28, 2006
Toilet Rascal

Kaddish posted:

I am right there with you. The Horizon: Zero Dawn PC version already got me thinking about buying one, but this game pretty much sealed the deal. Easily one of my all time favorites at this point. Of course, this also made me realize that buying a PS5 (or PS4 for that matter) is a godly feat itself these days. Who knew?

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
As someone who built a new PC for cyberpunk and switched to this to test it instead (and who can't afford a PS5), please start bringing these games to PC ASAP (still waiting on persona 5).

acksplode
May 17, 2004

The Horizon and GoW sequels are also releasing on PS4 fyi. It might be rough going to that from a PC but it's an option.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

PageMaster posted:

As someone who built a new PC for cyberpunk and switched to this to test it instead (and who can't afford a PS5), please start bringing these games to PC ASAP (still waiting on persona 5).

they released p4 golden and p5 strikers...seems like almost a prank that 5 isn't on PC at this point

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Turns out that if you use the fully upgraded Murder of Crows summon under the right circumstances you can crash your game so hard that you'll need to force restart your PC.

Finished the game on Give Me God Of War and Niflheim still seems close to impossible. Level 8 enemies everywhere that take forever to kill and one-shot me with any attack but I still have to be aggressive because of the timer, maybe if I clear out the Trials of Musphelheim first I'll get something that will help. The final axe upgrade is in Niflheim somewhere but it seems like by the time I get it there won't be much left besides the final valkyrie.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Prepare to die a whole lot lmao.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The only thing to help with niflheim would be grinding niflheim to get the niflheim armor to make niflheim less not good. It stinks

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I did everything on GMGOW. Niflheim is miserable. Muscleheim is epic.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Yeah those two challenge planets come off as half-baked ideas the devs came up when they ran out of dev time. Luckily in the sequel they have all the base game's assets and mechanics that no longer need re-iteration and can instead focus their attention on expanding the scope.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I think I Platinum'd GoW, if not came drat close, and looking back it really wasn't worth it. Some of the last things I unlocked like those chests in Niflheim were just more combat encounters, and the resulting loot wasn't that impressive as endgame stuff. For poisonland just grind up enough stuff to knock out the Valk then GTFO. Because the final Valk fight is one of my favorite things in the game. I liked it so much I even handicapped myself by going fists only (and arrows) to make it last longer. She's basically a Dark Souls boss, way better final fight than the standard 3-part button prompt fest that is the actual end of the game...

I dug up the video of me punching out Sigrun so spoilers obviously, but yeah it's a good time and worth tracking them all down if you enjoy the combat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQ9XHz80ARs&t=190s

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Takes No Damage posted:

Yeah I think I Platinum'd GoW, if not came drat close, and looking back it really wasn't worth it. Some of the last things I unlocked like those chests in Niflheim were just more combat encounters, and the resulting loot wasn't that impressive as endgame stuff. For poisonland just grind up enough stuff to knock out the Valk then GTFO. Because the final Valk fight is one of my favorite things in the game. I liked it so much I even handicapped myself by going fists only (and arrows) to make it last longer. She's basically a Dark Souls boss, way better final fight than the standard 3-part button prompt fest that is the actual end of the game...

I dug up the video of me punching out Sigrun so spoilers obviously, but yeah it's a good time and worth tracking them all down if you enjoy the combat:

I got all the trophies except the birds and gently caress traipsing around looking for them lol

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Khanstant posted:

The only thing to help with niflheim would be grinding niflheim to get the niflheim armor to make niflheim less not good. It stinks

This, plus obviously learning the maze (the baseball diamond analogy worked for me) make it pretty doable on GMGOW. Assuming nothing changed since the last time I did GMGOW on NG+ a couple years back.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Takes No Damage posted:

I'll watch the video after I beat it, but the Valkyries have been my favorite thing about the game. It could be argued that they're kind of samey, but they're all different enough to feel distinct and the basic formula makes for much more interesting fights than going against the same reskinned troll boss 20 times. Haven't looked up anything about Sigrun but I'm hoping she's some combination of all the other Valkyries at once. Glad I went for GMGOW for my first playthrough after wavering on it for a bit, there are a lot of frustrating parts in the main storyline but I don't think the Valkyries would have been as impactful if it was on a lower difficulty. You get your rear end kicked over and over and then it all clicks and you execute everything perfectly to win the fight without taking a single hit.

Don't think I'll be going for platinum on this, killing all the Valkyries seems like a good place to end things instead of dragging out the experience trying to track down everything else for the sake of Steam achievements. If I actually tried to finish all the impossible level Trials of Musphelheim or engaged with Niflheim more than the Valkyrie it would probably just leave a bad taste in my mouth after an otherwise amazing game.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
^^^ You've got the right idea, really the only things I remember about the optional areas after the Valk fights are just frustratingly difficult arena battles for, at best, sidegrade gear.

JBP posted:

I got all the trophies except the birds and gently caress traipsing around looking for them lol

Ah poo poo I forgot about the loving ravens :argh: I resorted to traipsing back through the entire game following a Youtube guide to get them all. The last one was in some cave standing in an opening with the light shining in. I don't know if it was my video settings or what but it was literally invisible to me. I just blindly threw my axe at the hole a couple of times and finally got it. I don't usually trophy hunt like that, I think I only did it there because it was probably the last one I needed for Plat, making like the 2nd PS game I've done that for.

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jan 25, 2022

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
The only games I've bothered to get Platinum for were exceptional in their own way - this one, Bloodborne and 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim.

God, now I want to go back and play those games again.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

I can only remember two games I've platinumed - Horizon Zero Dawn and Rise of the Tomb Raider.

The first one because it's my favorite game ever, and the second one because I finished the game and was somehow close so it only took like an hour or two to finish it off. It was a great game though.

I beat NG+ on GMGOW and did I think almost all the muspelheim and niflheim trials and overall enjoyed it, but I know I didn't platinum it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I think I stopped short of hitting all the ravens because there's like 40 of them and the world is a pain to traverse with PS4 load times. Maybe it will go much faster on PS5.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I am habitually compelled to get Platinum trophies because there's something wrong with my brain.

Dad of Boy was I think the game that cemented in my mind a long-standing pet theory: that Sony first-party devs have a recurring problem with the Optional Stuff To Do in their games being poorly matched to the capabilities given to the player character. The combat in Dad of Boy is basically fine even if it's often more impactful than it is interesting and more or less everyone agrees that the extremely prominent and integrated Valkyrie fights rule incredibly, but IMO all the bolted on stuff, like Muspelheim and Niflheim and beyond that the raven hunting and stuff like that are super weak precisely because of how mechanical and arbitrary they are. Similar things keep happening in other games, like how many of the challenges in Spider-Man call for incredibly precise control in a system explicitly designed for broad-strokes navigation, or how some of the arena challenges in Rift Apart (but especially the shotgun one) require you to do these random things that there's just no reason for anyone to want to do (like chasing flying sniping enemies around an open arena with deadly floor using a shotgun).

On the other hand, Sony first parties are often considerate enough to include the Optional Extremely Hard Difficulty and its associated trophies in a DLC pack, preventing that stuff from getting in the way of the Platinum.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Platinum trophies do seem easier to get over the past couple years, where collectibles only need a certain percent instead of 100% everything, and difficulty is less and less of a factor

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

I think I stopped short of hitting all the ravens because there's like 40 of them and the world is a pain to traverse with PS4 load times. Maybe it will go much faster on PS5.

On PC wasn't much loading but just getting from one end of a level to the other looking for random little things just takes ages even if you don't walk past it five times as the levels become a little weirder to navigate when you're aimlessly wandering, half-remembering how the level originally went.

Main reason I killed so many leaving only 10 left is the noise they made drove me nuts. It's not that bad of a sound, maybe like a high pitch jinglebell kind of sound, but everytime I heard that noise I'd stop what I was doing to kill this drat bird. What even happens if you get em all?

I figure they hadn't even decided on how they're going to make Odin look speak sound or act yet, same for Thor, and didn't want to hamstring themselves too early if they're not even going to bust out Odin for another game or two. Would still hope for a little lightning bolt or something of pissfit thrown by Odin once you peg that last bird.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Khanstant posted:

Main reason I killed so many leaving only 10 left is the noise they made drove me nuts. It's not that bad of a sound, maybe like a high pitch jinglebell kind of sound, but everytime I heard that noise I'd stop what I was doing to kill this drat bird. What even happens if you get em all?

nothing but the trophy

Play
Apr 25, 2006

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Takes a lot of adjusting after the old games but I'm liking the new format. Doing my first run on Give Me God Of War and it's absolutely kicking my rear end but after leaving the light elf place I'm finally getting a hang of it enough to feel sort of competent in combat. Understanding that I can have Atreus lock something down with arrows while I run in for a charge heavy is a lot better than keeping distance and throwing my axe 50 times to kill the weakest enemies.

Performance has been mostly good so far, it's as solid a port as everyone says. Had a few moments of major slowdown during cinematic moments but I think that's a just a case of my GTX 1070 showing its age at this point (and my TR1950x not being a gaming CPU to begin with). Would love to turn everything to ultra since the game looks amazing, maybe I'll get lucky enough to buy a 3070 if I enter the Newegg Shuffle another hundred times.

Yeah I throwing the axe should mostly be limited to ranged enemies you can't reach and little floaty bastards. It takes up too much time and locks you down too much.

Using Atreus to distract then pop runic attacks really works, and I'm also a big big fan of the sprint RT attack. I favor runic attacks that do big damage and frost mostly. Enemies can get a little annoying because they are spongey af on higher diffs especially. But just play balanced, know when to attack, when to defend and when to dodge is basically all you need.

The ancients and evil ancients are pretty funny because they're so drat easy to cheese.

exquisite tea posted:

I've never seen or at least never noticed a Raven lol. Maybe once near the start, I can't remember. But I'm not gonna worry about it I don't think, I can't stand pixel hunting in any game much less 3D ones

PageMaster posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1382330/Persona_5_Strikers/

???

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Barehanded was my favourite fighting style and really wish they'd give him some godgloves to just up the damage so it's not just a transitory mode or gimmick to defeat certain enemies.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

different game, that's a spinoff

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Play posted:

Yeah I throwing the axe should mostly be limited to ranged enemies you can't reach and little floaty bastards. It takes up too much time and locks you down too much.

Alternatively, start the fight by throwing the axe at something and then just leave it there and go hand to hand or the other thing and recall it and repeat during brief gaps in the fight. The hand/shield combat is actually incredibly powerful and shouldn't be overlooked or skipped.

I'm not saying the axe is bad, but it's hardly the Obvious Best Choice even in the early-game. Use it when you can, but don't feel like you need to immediately recall it after throwing it.

Also I have vague recollections that at least some of the runics will automatically recall the axe so you don't even really lose anything from throwing it. Especially because it freezes things if you headshot them, it can work great for crowd control.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Only thing I have left to do is fight Sigrun and it's everything I hoped it would be. Perfect opening to the fight and accurately conveyed what was about to happen to me on the next dozen attempts. Going to have to really get all the patterns locked in since she seems to have about twice as much health as any of the others. Best possible culmination of all the other Valkyrie fights, hoping the portal stays there once I finally win to allow for repeat fights but I doubt it.

Watched a bit of the making-of documentary after beating the main story. It's weird seeing Christopher Judge as the voice of Kratos, then the kid playing Atreus is exactly the same as his game representation. Not sure what I was expecting.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

shortspecialbus posted:

Alternatively, start the fight by throwing the axe at something and then just leave it there and go hand to hand or the other thing and recall it and repeat during brief gaps in the fight. The hand/shield combat is actually incredibly powerful and shouldn't be overlooked or skipped.

I'm not saying the axe is bad, but it's hardly the Obvious Best Choice even in the early-game. Use it when you can, but don't feel like you need to immediately recall it after throwing it.

Also I have vague recollections that at least some of the runics will automatically recall the axe so you don't even really lose anything from throwing it. Especially because it freezes things if you headshot them, it can work great for crowd control.

Agreed I often split between the two because they are both powerful. I like the special attacks with the axe more but for flurry combos the fists are better. I wish putting away/taking out the axe didn't take so long so you didn't have to throw it and leave it to easily switch between the two

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
That's probably why it takes so long, to encourage you to use both at once

Also to remind you that recalling the axe can be used offensively since it does damage if it hits an enemy

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
There's also a recall that you can aim that will do a big hit and freeze someone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Early on especially I used the axe more for crowd control and fists + shield for DPS, since you can very quickly build up stun meter that way. The axe gets better later on when you can cycle through runic attacks.