Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

PSA: Do not start on God of War difficulty as a beginner. This game is hard enough on Challenging and you won’t be able to change it back later! :siren:

E3 2016 Reveal Trailer
Complete Story Recap, including the mobile games
Tech Showcase with PS4 Pro enhancements
Game Informer God of War cover story - lots of cool videos!

God of War is the new fourth mainline title from Santa Monica Studio's popular hack & slash series for the Sony Playstation. Players again take control of Kratos, the epically angry Spartan demigod who ended his last outing with Mount Olympus destroyed and the world flooded. Some unforetold period of time has passed since those events, and we now find Kratos living in seclusion in the realm of Norse mythology with his pre-teen son, Atreus. The story begins with the death of Atreus' mother and her dying wish: To have her ashes scattered from the highest point in Midgard. Some god trickery presumably goes down soon after, and the story carries on from there. Although a direct sequel, God of War makes many notable departures from the series in both presentation and gameplay. Gone are the flashy combos and dynamic camera in favor of more grounded, crunchy combat and an intimate third-person view. The iconic Blades of Chaos have been traded in for the thoroughly metal Leviathan Axe, which can be thrown and called back at will. You can even augment weapons and armor with crafting materials because that's in every game now! Kratos himself is no longer just a searing ball of vengeance and rage, but is tempered by the presence of his son, who grows with him and can assist with puzzles and disabling enemies. This unusually narrative-focused entry is being led by Cory Barlog, the Creative Director for God of War 2, and has gotten almost as much attention for its story and characters as its gameplay.

God of War has been getting an insane amount of 10/10 reviews and we are all mega-hype in here. It officially releases 12am EST on April 20th, 2018.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mi7uHVbOnjI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNU8n-9QopI

exquisite tea fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Apr 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Im gonna buy this once i save haruko and haruto from the triad

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Not even the second best dad of this month. But I will play it I guess :geno:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I have gone from disinterested to loving hyped re this game.

ghouldaddy07
Jun 23, 2008
I can't afford this, and yet I am purchasing it.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

i can't afford this, and yet i am renting from redbox

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I want to stay up and play this god drat game at midnight but I have a 6:45am meeting. gently caress this stupid adult life what's even the point.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

TFW you gotta work the Saturday after this game comes out.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
It comes out on my birthday so hopefully my wife will let me play all weekend(she won't)

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

We're all so loving old drat you ZEEEUUUUUUSSSSSSSS

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
I have the whole weekend off and my copy just shipped, so far I’m having a 10/10 experience.

Ferrous
Feb 28, 2010
My friend is saying he hasn't seen me for a while and wants me to visit on Saturday.

Hope he enjoys watching me play God of War.

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax
Has anyone explained why exactly this game is supposed to be so good? I watched the Easy Allies video review, and it went like:

[describes completely typical 3rd person action-adventure] ...and in conclusion, every single person in the entire world should play this.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I don't think anyone kept a straight face after hearing that hyperbole.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Aardark posted:

Has anyone explained why exactly this game is supposed to be so good? I watched the Easy Allies video review, and it went like:

[describes completely typical 3rd person action-adventure] ...and in conclusion, every single person in the entire world should play this.

All the videos I've seen that have shown early gameplay left me saying "sure... cool, looks ok I guess". Then I started to read people talking about the plot and it sounds pretty good, people like it. Gameplay has been given very high praise all along and the axe does look like fun to use.

Then I stopped for a moment and thought to myself "all I've seen of this game is the very early enemies and environments" before my imagination went hog loving wild. I then read articles that confirmed that this poo poo is going to get violent as hell and go to weird as gently caress places. I want to be on this train. WITH MY SON.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I really wanna know how much they're going to address the fact that kratos caused the loving apocalypse in greece since he was such an angry rear end in a top hat.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
This is the game that finally broke me and got me to buy a PS4. In the mean time, let's talk about Norse mythology and how loving rad it is! Any stories I tell in this thread will be based on Neil Gaiman's recent compendium Norse Mythology, with the Internet filling in the gaps and an occasional dash of my own pizazz.

IN THE BEGINNING the earth was formless and void, and darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spiritwait gently caress hang on

IN THE BEGINNING, there were two Worlds: the World of Niflheim to the north and the World of Muspel to the south. Between them was the the great yawning chasm of Ginnungagap. Niflheim was a cold, dark land covered in a thick mist. In the heart of the World was the well of Hvergelmir from which flowed eleven frozen rivers with poisonous waters. Muspel was the opposite: a land of intense, fiery heat where the rocks and soil were molten and the air itself was aflame. Fire spirits cavorted throughout Muspel and were ruled over the great demon Surtur. Know that even though the world is not yet formed and the gods not named, it has already been told that Surtur will be the end of both.

The rivers of Niflheim flowed through that icy land and cascaded down in the vastness of Ginnungagap. As they gathered at the bottom of the chasm, they froze and over the eons towering glaciers rose out of the gap. But they rose to meet the flickering sparks of Muspel and the ice began to melt, even as the waters still poured down and froze. From the melting ice and the creating steam arose the the first giant, Ymir. Ymir was the largest giant that was and ever will be and was the ancestor of all the jötnar. He was sustained in the grassless expanses of Ginnungagap by suckling the teats of the cow Auðumbla who was also melted from the ice and steam. As he slept, Ymir sweated and from his arms came a man and woman, and from his legs together a son. These were the first jötnar, the ancestors of all those evil peoples.

As Ymir was sustained by the rivers of milk flowing from Auðumbla, the cow was sustained by licking the salt from the rime of the glaciers. The first day she licked, she revealed the hair of a man. The second day, his torso and the third he was freed from the ice. This was Buri, the first god. From Buri would come Borr, who would marry the giantess Bestla and from their union would come three sons: Vili, Vé, and Odin. The brothers roamed the glaciers, exploring the great ice fields but they tired of the endless white expanse. Neither Muspel nor Niflheim welcomed them and so Odin led them in a scheme. They would shape their own world from the body of the great Ymir. Working together, the brothers slew the giant and set to their great task.

First, they took Ymir's eyebrows and used them to build a wall to form the bounds of their new world and protect it from the giants. Within this wall, they took the skin of Ymir and used it to form the land and soil. The gray, salty blood of Ymir became the oceans, his teeth and fingernails became the rocks, his hair was planted as trees, and his bones were broken to form mountains. Ymir's skull was cut in half and they placed it above the new world to form the bowl of the sky. As you look above you, know that the clouds are the remnants of Ymir's brains which even now think what thoughts they may. The brothers named their new world Midgard and hung it from the middle branches of Yggdrasil, the World Tree, so that it might be heated by Muspel and cooled by Niflheim below it.

The brothers wandered their new-made world, exploring its lands and contours until they came across a slate beach on gray waters. There, two pieces of driftwood, ash and elm, had washed upon the shore. Odin stopped their journey and spoke of a new creation. Vé stood the two pieces upright in the beach and began to carve them, shaping the ash into the shape of a man and the elm into the shape of a woman. He carved them a face, ears and eyes, and a mouth and so gave them senses. Now Vili stepped forward, carving fingers while he spoke to them of all the stories and jokes and poetry that he knew, and so gave them touch and intelligence. Last, Odin stepped forward and he breathed his soul into the two trees and so gave life to the first man and woman. Odin gave the new people clothes and tools and a home with Midgard and then named them: Ask and Embla. It is for these gifts, and the gift of life and of Midgard that we name Odin Allfather.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Looking forward to wasting the entire weekend playing dad simulators. I'm OK with this new late week release date thing. Tuesdays were a gently caress.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Props for using the Slayer tag, un-props for no dad joke subtitle.

I wasn't that interested in this until it started getting stellar reviews from literally everyone. And yeah, Norse mythology is cool.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Aardark posted:

I don’t know why either but Im still hyped and getting this poo poo day one and hope it sells 10 billion copies so devs stop making battle royale poo poo

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

My hype is 666% powerful. Honestly haven’t been this excited about a game in years. It’s a nice feeling. I bought this from Target yesterday because I physically couldn’t not grab it:

Raddest figure I own.

1stGear posted:

This is the game that finally broke me and got me to buy a PS4. In the mean time, let's talk about Norse mythology and how loving rad it is! Any stories I tell in this thread will be based on Neil Gaiman's recent compendium Norse Mythology, with the Internet filling in the gaps and an occasional dash of my own pizazz.

AWESOME MYTHOLOGY GOODIES

How is that book? I’m a lifelong huge Norse mythology nerd (my first and only tattoo was a valknut, gently caress off nazis I love it) but haven’t read that one.

e: just smashed that motherfuckin digital deluxe preorder button. Preload time!

I couldn’t pass up the physical pin and extra stuff :3: capitalism owns

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Apr 19, 2018

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
This is as close as I've gotten to buying a console to play one game in a long long time. I've been hype as hell for this ever since that 2016 E3 trailer.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

C-Euro posted:

This is as close as I've gotten to buying a console to play one game in a long long time. I've been hype as hell for this ever since that 2016 E3 trailer.

PS4 has a ton of amazing exclusives. Do it!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Kilometers Davis posted:

PS4 has a ton of amazing exclusives. Do it!

I know, but it's less an interest in the games and more of the zero gaming time that I've had in the last...year? It sucks :(

E: Also A+ on the new Kratos voice. Isn't this the same dude who does Mr. Crabs, Clarence something or other?Whoops wrong dude.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Apr 19, 2018

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

C-Euro posted:

I know, but it's less an interest in the games and more of the zero gaming time that I've had in the last...year? It sucks :(

E: Also A+ on the new Kratos voice. Isn't this the same dude who does Mr. Crabs, Clarence something or other?

Teal’c from Stargate. Christopher Judge is his name.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Just as a heads up try not to visit YouTube before tonight as some pretty spoilery stuff is being uploaded!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

GameFly just shipped my copy of this game. Maybe demand for it isn't that high

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I'm still amazed that they renamed Kratos to Chest Beardman, but I guess that's the sort of license you have to take when you're rebooting a classic series.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

GameFly just shipped my copy of this game. Maybe demand for it isn't that high

Pre-ordered on Amazon months ago and they won't even confirm it shipped yet.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Amazon briefly ran out of physical copies a few days ago. The demand is there.

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

This could get emotional...

It's been sold out on amazon UK all week. I prefer to get physical copies because we get shafted with digital pricing over here, and also because I'm old and like discs, but I think I'm just gonna suck it up and go digital this time.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

haveblue posted:

Amazon briefly ran out of physical copies a few days ago. The demand is there.

Didn't they run out of PSN $$ codes or something, too?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

i kinda think norse mythology is overdone in games, moreso than nearly any other mythology unless you count elves and dwarves

gimme kratos journeying through hindu mythology and getting owned by kali please

preloading it anyways

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
Looking forward to spoilers, after playing the last God of Wars this combat does not look anywhere near as fun to me. I do hope everyone else enjoys the game though. Here's hoping we finally get the original God of War treatment of Kratos being Old Testament God.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

nopantsjack posted:

i kinda think norse mythology is overdone in games, moreso than nearly any other mythology unless you count elves and dwarves

gimme kratos journeying through hindu mythology and getting owned by kali please

preloading it anyways

The original idea for the series was to treat it as an anthology and highlight a new god of war from different pantheons for each new entry.

safe harbor
Jul 18, 2004
EMO AS FUCK
This game looks too serious and story driven for my God of War tastes. Let me slash at stuff non-stop!

jeffLebowski
Mar 6, 2006

Obviously, you're not a golfer.
if only there were a few, lets say... 4, other games with previous god of war gameplay available. but alas.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I think it would be really cool if we got a SotC style remaster of the original GoW and especially GoW II.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Kilometers Davis posted:

How is that book? I’m a lifelong huge Norse mythology nerd (my first and only tattoo was a valknut, gently caress off nazis I love it) but haven’t read that one.

Its pretty good! I'm speaking as someone who didn't know much about Norse myth beyond the absolute basics before I got the audiobook for a long drive so if you're really super into the stories, it probably won't have much new to offer you. A lot of the appeal is that Gaiman read the stories directly from translations of the prose and poetic Eddas and wrote them to be a clearer narrative while hewing as close to the source material as possible. Then you have Gaiman's own distinct style buoying the writing and its a pretty good starting point or just a solid version of most of the high points of the myths.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

nopantsjack posted:

This is what I wanted Asura's Wrath to be and we kind of got there thematically but not in terms of gameplay.