Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Action Serious
Feb 2, 2009
Is there anyway to not have Niflheim be so awful? I feel like I run around killing enemies and opening chests and still only leave with 300-400 echoes or whatever each time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
It took me a few short runs to get the aforementioned mist reducer and "get" how Niflheim works, but I was getting between 6k-10k per clear. The escalating rewards help, as do the two rune chests.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Action Serious posted:

Is there anyway to not have Niflheim be so awful? I feel like I run around killing enemies and opening chests and still only leave with 300-400 echoes or whatever each time.

You should be getting at least like 7-8k per run.

Do what I did and shamelessly set the difficulty down to easy. It makes the dozens of times you’ll grind that zone a bit less tedious and even more fun. Combat where enemies have a lot of health can be fun on its own, but combine that with a timer and all the fun gets sucked out real quick. Setting the game to easy really helps alleviate the timer pressure.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

For actual tips:

-Efficiency! As little wasted movement as possible.
-Use the mist reducer on cooldown. The heal is just lagniappe
-Always use the best weapon for the enemy in question. Learn to identify and switch immediately
-Play aggressively but not carelessly. Parry when the opportunities come up, but don't turtle and wait for them. Move from arena to arena quickly, but don't take dumb risks with the smashing wall traps
-Quickly check walls and tunnels for crannies with chests. Not always there but worth a fast look

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I'm replaying the game now that I have my PS4 Pro and holy poo poo look at this foreshadowing right after the first major boss (no spoilers)

The camera only pans down to it for a split second but Kratos looks directly at it. This is amazing. The developers cared so much.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Action Serious posted:

Each chest opened increases how much you get from future chests. Open the smaller and grey ones before the legendary ones for better results. Also the smaller and grey chests will extend your time a bit.
Use the mist armor and get your gear level as high as you can to make combat go faster.
Always Be runiCing.

Action Serious
Feb 2, 2009
thanks for the tips, I dropped it down to easy and cleared the realm in about an hour. I tried the other tips but I’d rather get moving on than be frustrated.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

When they go in the air, have Atreu shoot them with arrows. I saw someone do that, I always thought I needed the axe to break up this attack.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

I can't be the only one that hears that all the time? :)

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

glad she is dead posted:

As I'd only ever played Chains of Olympus on PSP I'm currently working my way through the series before playing the new one. Finished the first game, am about to start GOW2 and have GOW3 remaster queued up on my PS4.

Want to know if it's worth picking up Ascension or not? It's got its defenders but the critical reaction seems pretty muted.

Ascension is a very solid game (It'd probably have gotten a much better overall reception had it come out as a PS4 launch title.) but it came out at a time when everyone was sick and tired of how identical the combat was between all 6 games - and that's ignoring the clones that had come out by that point. They did some slight changes but for the most part its more of the same and proved the series needed to be reinvented unless it wanted to suffer Gears of War's fate of increasing irrelevance despite acceptable sales and reviews.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Is it worth playing ascension? I tapped out after 3 because it was fun, but kind of gruelling.

Ferrous
Feb 28, 2010
Everyone knows Marlow Briggs is the true successor to God of War.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
I don't 'get' Nilfheim. Ran in a couple of times and got enough materials to make the chest armor. But then I have to run again and start over? Making like 700 Echoes? I feel like I'm missing something.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

shut up blegum posted:

I don't 'get' Nilfheim. Ran in a couple of times and got enough materials to make the chest armor. But then I have to run again and start over? Making like 700 Echoes? I feel like I'm missing something.

Sounds like you're done with the game.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

JBP posted:

Is it worth playing ascension? I tapped out after 3 because it was fun, but kind of gruelling.
It has the most epic sex scene in the series.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Palpek posted:

It has the most epic sex scene in the series.

:yooge:

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

shut up blegum posted:

Make the armor that ups your runic to loving crazy levels, use the talisman that recharges all your runic attacks, roll through most of the Valkyries by using 8 runics in a row.

Sigrun will still be a nightmare

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

1: Start New Game
2: Start New Game
3: Start New Game

:aaa:

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Make the armor that ups your runic to loving crazy levels, use the talisman that recharges all your runic attacks, roll through most of the Valkyries by using 8 runics in a row.

Sigrun will still be a nightmare

God this is so true but killing her is just SO GODDAMN SATISFYING. I was so hyped afterwards.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Morand posted:

God this is so true but killing her is just SO GODDAMN SATISFYING. I was so hyped afterwards.

The only thing I was thinking was "thank god I never have to do that again".

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

She's NG+ Bloodborne hard

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
I played the game on hard for about 90% of the story mode I guess, but I switched it to normal, some things are just not fun when everything is a slog.

The game is a bit too easy now. :( At least I am completing challenges now instead of just getting pissed. :)

Mr Shiny Pants fucked around with this message at 16:43 on May 25, 2018

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Finished the game. All I can say is: wow.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Hey I just got to the bridgekeeper in Helheim. Is there a reason my blades vanished? I'm pretty much just pounding him with my fists, which is fine, if time consuming, but then he starts summoning minions and wow, I really wish I had some powerful swinging whippy things to take care of that!

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Soonmot posted:

Hey I just got to the bridgekeeper in Helheim. Is there a reason my blades vanished? I'm pretty much just pounding him with my fists, which is fine, if time consuming, but then he starts summoning minions and wow, I really wish I had some powerful swinging whippy things to take care of that!

Did you press left on the dpad

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Did you press left on the dpad

Or right

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Action Serious posted:

The best advice I can offer is that while Niflheim is random every time it’s also very formulaic. Sort of like learning all the enemy patterns and the best methods to deal with each type - learn where the chest crannies can be.

And if you have to, just unlock the workshop and run in and out of the first room a few times. Enhancements with blight resistance randomly drop, too. Use those to give yourself more time.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Yup, it's blank and still shows my axe runes, I've switched between before, used the axe to kill a Raven earlier and switched back to blades for a different fight with no problem.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

She's NG+ Bloodborne hard

I don’t think I’ve ever fought something before and just immediately said “nope” and meant it.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Yep! I've beaten Bloodborne, all the Dark Souls, Jinpachi in Tekken 5, etc. Not like a ridiculous skill player but usually I can figure things out. I've booted up GoW a few times to reattempt Sigrun, thinking that I was just too tense previously. Figured I could come back, nice and relaxed, and everything would click after a warm-up or two.

Nope. Any time I feel like I'm making progress, I lose what seem to be coin tosses on blocks and dodges. Beating the game while having a viable and arguably superior alternative in Niflheim armor doesn't help with motivation, but even so, it's a singularly frustrating encounter in an otherwise brilliant game.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

The wolf summon + blessing of the frost staggers sigrun for a long time.

Its a dope fight, if too tanky. I was too stubborn to wait til post game though and my axe wasn't fully upgraded. I liked how when I lit all the braziers the kid said "gee that would've been helpful when we fought the queen".

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
I thought Sigrun was hard but fair. Like, every time I got owned my first response would be 'gently caress you' and the second response 'I see what I did wrong there'. The biggest problem is how bloody long you need to not mess up.

I've definitely had more trouble with some soulsborne bosses, though it's close. Kalameet for example.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

If the camera/lock-on was more reliable I'd say the fight would be improved a great deal. As is, I didn't find myself trusting it, which is a problem.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Have you messed with the camera and lock-on settings at all to see if you can find a sweet spot for yourself?

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
I’m about half way through I think and my only complaints are: why did they give a brawler a terrible third person shooter camera, and why did they make the sidekick character with you the whole time sooooo loving annoying without a chatter option I could turn off

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Osmosisch posted:

I thought Sigrun was hard but fair. Like, every time I got owned my first response would be 'gently caress you' and the second response 'I see what I did wrong there'. The biggest problem is how bloody long you need to not mess up.

I've definitely had more trouble with some soulsborne bosses, though it's close. Kalameet for example.

When she immediately used the two most obnoxious move sets (VALHALLA VALHALLA VALHALLA VALHALLA VALHALLA VALHALLA VALHALLA FIRE EVERYWHERE*) and I died and saw her health bar was at about 96% my brain just checked out. Not worth the frustration. The camera being lodged up Kratos’ butt certainly doesn’t help things either.

* - I think I’d try it some more if she also didn’t have the unavoidable ground smash that seemingly has infinite range. The Valkyrie moves away, hovers and flips around with her mace for a second then slams the ground. I’ve tried out-distancing it, rolling and even parrying to at least soak some of the damage.

Honestly I have the same mental block with Muspelheim. I went up against the impossible challenges - no hits is incredibly annoying. So I just said I was going to skip it and move on. Completed another then went into “kill enemies in the white circle” where enemies want to be anywhere but the white circle. Actually if I could just turn off The Boy for that fight it would probably be a hell of a lot easier. He was holding off like 4 or 5 of them at a time.

Ugato fucked around with this message at 14:39 on May 27, 2018

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

MUSCULAR BEAVER posted:

I’m about half way through I think and my only complaints are: why did they give a brawler a terrible third person shooter camera, and why did they make the sidekick character with you the whole time sooooo loving annoying without a chatter option I could turn off

I don't have any complaints about the camera, but I can tell you that your second complaint is :wrong: Atreus is cool and good.

Anyway, got the blades to level 5 and the axe to level 6. Only things left in the game are the impossible Mispelheim trials and some Nilfheim farming. And killing 2-3 valkuries. And picking up some collectibles and kill all the ravens. Not looking forward to completing those last two things, but this could be the first game I ever platinum :banjo:

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?

Ugato posted:

* - I think I’d try it some more if she also didn’t have the unavoidable ground smash that seemingly has infinite range. The Valkyrie moves away, hovers and flips around with her mace for a second then slams the ground. I’ve tried out-distancing it, rolling and even parrying to at least soak some of the damage.

This hosed me up a whole bunch too until I accidentally discovered you can have Atreus shoot her down while she's winding up.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

BlackFrost posted:

This hosed me up a whole bunch too until I accidentally discovered you can have Atreus shoot her down while she's winding up.

Yeah, I think that's the official/only counter to that move (the axe probably has too much travel time, especially if you're far away). Sigrun has a different move where she smacks her wings together in midair and blinds you, I never found the counter for that.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

haveblue posted:

Yeah, I think that's the official/only counter to that move (the axe probably has too much travel time, especially if you're far away). Sigrun has a different move where she smacks her wings together in midair and blinds you, I never found the counter for that.

The crazy guy who defeated Siggie on GMGOW using all level 1 gear with no runics or spartan rage used axe throws to knock her down. Godly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Her blind move can be countered by looking away