Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
The chests give you equip, you get mats from just doing the dungeon crawl (including the things to open the realm tears)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

xxEightxx posted:

I don’t know how to fight those big rock spirit monsters without getting hit. So I tried that first one once and never went back.

THAT’S part of the don’t get hit challenge too? Yeah I’m glad I just gave up when I did.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
He’s part of the last wave which also includes two 1x wulver and 2x dual wield draugurs.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Takes No Damage posted:

Yeah, I've tried a couple and so far they've only been 'impossible' by adding my least favorite gameplay constraints rather than actually upping the enemy challenge. I hate time limits, which is going to make fighting the Valkyrie in Nifelheim a royal pain I'm anticipating. I've really enjoyed almost all the other fights so that's a shame.

Speaking of, I'm assuming I'm meant to grind up enough mists to open the locked chests, and they'll give me the resources to access those 3 tears? Sindri's making them sound pretty drat ominous.
When you kill the Nilfheim Valkyrie the mist gauge resets so it's not so bad, you just have to run to her asap (while ignoring the other enemies). By the time you get to her you should also already have a full inventory of things that reduce the mist gauge, it's really not that hardcore unless you want to do it way underlevelled which would be dumb.

Here's a little Nilfheim guide that nobody asked for but maybe somebedy would be interested in.

When it comes to getting lost in Nilfheim I found this map really helpful:

The entrance is at the bottom. The Bases/Fields are where enemy encounters are, the empty spaces are where empty rooms (with chests) between the trap corridors are.
    1. When you start doing Nilfheim you should basically just farm the Home Base until you get enough Mist Echoes for Sindri to unlock Pitcher's Mound for you (should take like 3-4 runs).
    2. Afterwards you move on to doing Home Base + First Base OR Third Base and going back to cash in.
    3. When you save enough to buy a set of items that slow down the mist gauge (remember that there are not only armor pieces but also blade/axe pommels, a talisman and enchantments) you can move onto doing Home Base - First - Second - Third Base runs. Choose one direction you're doing that in and you won't get lost.
    4. When you feel confident with that run and you're already upgrading your Nilfheim inventory then you can start adding Right Field to your runs. There's always a champion to defeat there. This is the point when basically grinding towards those locked chests/realm tears actually begins.
    5. Doing a full run (without the Valkyrie) nets you something between 4-9k Mist Echoes depending on your luck with the ammount of spawned chests. You can do the math on how many such runs you need to clear the chests/tears + buy all the equipment you want.
    6. Remember that chests you open will gradually have more Mist Echoes in them so you absolutely need to gradually make your runs longer to speed up the Echo gathering process. The runs WILL get easier with each new Mist inventory part you get and in the end that Mist "timer" will (almost) not be a problem.
    7. You can simply run out of an enemy arena when you see that you won't make it, don't be afraid of doing that. You can also kick enemies into those corridor traps, they die instantly which owns for those more damage resistant ones.
    8. Don't get greedy. Stick to your "Base" plan even when it seems that you could still make it.
    9. No matter what you will still die a few times and lose your progress. It will suck but it's part of the process - if you stick to your planned runs then it will at least happen less often.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jul 15, 2018

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

There are few things in GoW more satisfying than using an Atreus arrow to make a Revenant solid just in time for her to get smashed by a Niflheim corridor trap.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Also remember that it's a lot faster to get into the pitcher's mound than back out to the dwarf, so use that to start/end your runs until you're ready to go buy something.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I push enemies into the corridor that closes and it cuts my time in each part down significantly. And it’s funny when I overplay it and get myself killed.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

xxEightxx posted:

I don’t know how to fight those big rock spirit monsters without getting hit. So I tried that first one once and never went back.

You can block their laser attacks with your shield.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

Paracelsus posted:

But then I get flanked, and that still doesn’t help killing them, since every time I try to attack I get hit by one of those little bomb thing it flings everywhere from his chest.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

xxEightxx posted:

But then I get flanked, and that still doesn’t help killing them, since every time I try to attack I get hit by one of those little bomb thing it flings everywhere from his chest.

Roll forever.

e: are you picking up the stuff that flies out of its chest and throwing it back at them to stun them?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Paracelsus posted:

poo poo I swear I get hit but I’ll try it again.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Dogen posted:

poo poo I swear I get hit but I’ll try it again.

I think Kratos can block one 'hit' from the big chest lazer, but gets stunned afterwards. So if it's doing a quick sweep you can shield that and never have it register as a hit, but yeah if there's another enemy standing right there you're vulnerable. If you can get the elemental by itself it should be pretty manageable.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Palpek posted:

When you kill the Nilfheim Valkyrie the mist gauge resets so it's not so bad, you just have to run to her asap (while ignoring the other enemies). By the time you get to her you should also already have a full inventory of things that reduce the mist gauge, it's really not that hardcore unless you want to do it way underlevelled which would be dumb.

Here's a little Nilfheim guide that nobody asked for but maybe somebedy would be interested in.

When it comes to getting lost in Nilfheim I found this map really helpful:

The entrance is at the bottom. The Bases/Fields are where enemy encounters are, the empty spaces are where empty rooms (with chests) between the trap corridors are.
    1. When you start doing Nilfheim you should basically just farm the Home Base until you get enough Mist Echoes for Sindri to unlock Pitcher's Mound for you (should take like 3-4 runs).
    2. Afterwards you move on to doing Home Base + First Base OR Third Base and going back to cash in.
    3. When you save enough to buy a set of items that slow down the mist gauge (remember that there are not only armor pieces but also blade/axe pommels, a talisman and enchantments) you can move onto doing Home Base - First - Second - Third Base runs. Choose one direction you're doing that in and you won't get lost.
    4. When you feel confident with that run and you're already upgrading your Nilfheim inventory then you can start adding Right Field to your runs. There's always a champion to defeat there. This is the point when basically grinding towards those locked chests/realm tears actually begins.
    5. Doing a full run (without the Valkyrie) nets you something between 4-9k Mist Echoes depending on your luck with the ammount of spawned chests. You can do the math on how many such runs you need to clear the chests/tears + buy all the equipment you want.
    6. Remember that chests you open will gradually have more Mist Echoes in them so you absolutely need to gradually make your runs longer to speed up the Echo gathering process. The runs WILL get easier with each new Mist inventory part you get and in the end that Mist "timer" will (almost) not be a problem.
    7. You can simply run out of an enemy arena when you see that you won't make it, don't be afraid of doing that. You can also kick enemies into those corridor traps, they die instantly which owns for those more damage resistant ones.
    8. Don't get greedy. Stick to your "Base" plan even when it seems that you could still make it.
    9. No matter what you will still die a few times and lose your progress. It will suck but it's part of the process - if you stick to your planned runs then it will at least happen less often.

Also, if you get turned around and both hallways look the same, look up. There's giant statues on the cliff walls - they are always on the inside wall. Use that to orient yourself.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I have no idea where the bells are for the chest in the mist

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

boop the snoot posted:

I have no idea where the bells are for the chest in the mist

There's two of these chests - one will have all its bells in the same room, the other will have its bells spread across 3 different rooms.

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug

xxEightxx posted:

Save your rage until he shows up, then rage and use the move that throws the rock. If you hit him in the center weak spot with the rock, it should be a one hit kill.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
^^^ Yeah thanks for posting that map, I thought the geography was changing a lot more each run, but it's really just the transitions from each room, the overall shape is consistent.

L-O-N posted:

Save your rage until he shows up, then rage and use the move that throws the rock. If you hit him in the center weak spot with the rock, it should be a one hit kill.

I was really struggling with this first Impossible challenge, finally cleared it by turtling up and letting BOI do most of the DPS with shock arrows. The worst enemies here are the wulvers because they're so fast and unpredictable. I would save up runic attacks and just drop 2 or 3 on them at once to remove them from the battlefield ASAP. I hosed up grabbing the video, but the best death I had was sprinting over to the final boss to finish him off with an R3 pummel, and one of his chest grenades was still on the floor and exploded as I was running by, instantly failing the challenge :smithicide:

But I kept trying, eventually got it and just cleared challenges 2 and 3 with much less hassle. Hint: for time limit trials, go all-in on Stun damage. Blue arrows, shield attacks, even go pick Stun-heavy runic attacks. Often that's the fastest way to get mid-strength enemies out of play.

edit:
Think I'm pretty much done with fire challenges, until NG+ I don't really see a point to maxing out that armor and I like the look of the Valkyrie set more anyway.

SPEAKING OF, finished off that sidequest. The Valk fights were some of my favorite encounters in the game. I wasn't looking forward to fighting the one in poison mist but that ended up being the only fight I won my first try, I think they nerfed her to account for the time limit. Was also only slightly disappointed that the Queen didn't have any new moves, just all the attacks of all the others, but she's so fast it was still pretty easily the hardest fight. Even with all that I felt like I was doing too well for what should be an end-game encounter, so I resolved to honor duel her with just my fists. That took two days, but was still pretty fun. If anyone is struggling with her and wants to see how to evade all of her attacks, this is me doing that for 20 minutes. The winning run starts about 3:00:

Sigrun: No Runes, Fists Only, Final Destination, BE READY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQ9XHz80ARs

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Jul 18, 2018

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Yo I’m about to send some angry tweets about tf new game+ is at

Not really but come onnnnn

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
https://blog.us.playstation.com/2018/08/08/god-of-war-new-game-launches-august-20/

The update will release on August 20th

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

yasss bitch, I can't wait to replay this.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Ooh, I didn't know cutscene skipping was going to be part of this. I feel like it's weird for a game in 2018 to not have that right out of the gate but the cutscenes were good, whatever

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Ainsley McTree posted:

Ooh, I didn't know cutscene skipping was going to be part of this. I feel like it's weird for a game in 2018 to not have that right out of the gate but the cutscenes were good, whatever

Yeah, they were good because they weren't immersion-breaking--no pre-rendered anything. You'd go seamlessly from gameplay to cutscene back to gameplay.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

esperterra posted:

yasss bitch, I can't wait to replay this.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

gently caress yes replies in this thread & good news!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Noice, can squeeze in NG+ just before the Sept/Oct gameocalypse.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

gently caress yes replies in this thread & good news!

This game is so loving good yo.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...
I still need to beat Sigrun. gently caress Sigrun.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

Braincloud posted:

I don’t empty quote.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

JBP posted:

This game is so loving good yo.

I've started replaying it again anyway even without NG+, it's just that good

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Hopefully the NG+ patch introduces improvements to the manual save system.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Braincloud posted:

Peep my previous post if you're having any trouble with her attack tells. That was probably my favorite fight in the entire game, the 'final boss' was a bit of a wet fart by comparison. The whole Valk sidequest was really well done and pretty much exactly what I wanted out of a GoW game: a series of difficult (mostly) 1-on-1 encounters where you had to learn a new set of tells and counters in order to not be splattered like a bug on a windshield 10 seconds in.

And the mist realm tears were not remotely worth it, I'd honestly recommend not even bothering with them. I didn't know it at the time so I ended up Platinum'ing the game, the first PS4 game I've bothered to do that with. I also started up a playthrough on GoW difficulty and clawed my way to the first Baldur fight but it just isn't fun not having any of your combat tools and moves while going up against giant walls of HP that constantly 2-shot you. Every encounter just seems to go on about twice as long as it should. If I can NG+ into GMGoW then I may try it again, otherwise I'll just do another Hard run :kratos:

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Finished God of War on normal. Would have played it way earlier but nobody told me it was a metroidvania, which kinda caught me off guard, I thought it was a Last of Us clone and was expecting stealth sections for, like, at least the first five hours.

Palpek posted:

Another hint, you can completely ignore fights without penalty and just do a full lap of the bases, scooping up the chests inbetween and not fight anything. Since each chest restores a bit of your timer you can do a full lap even without any of the upgrades to help make it longer. This is probably quicker than doing home base 3-4 times, one or two laps would get you between 2-4 thousand mist echoes just from the chests, possibly more cause chest can either be really stingy or really generous. This is also valid if you get, say, three wulvers or revenants and just don't want to bother, don't, move on and keep your echoes.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

SatansBestBuddy posted:

God of War on normal...................was expecting stealth sections

Edit: I mean really??

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Ainsley McTree posted:

I've started replaying it again anyway even without NG+, it's just that good

I finished it within a week of launch and then finished the side content a week after that. Then I played it through again in the third week. I don't think I've ever played a game with over 20 hours of content through twice on purchase.

E: I lie, I played MGS3 twice in a row and for me that's extremely high praise for gow since MGS3 is my number one game of all time.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Friendly Fire posted:

Edit: I mean really??

A stealth section in a God of War game would probably just involve ripping peoples' eyes out of their skulls.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Three days mah dudes

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

i'm cumming

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Started playing this this week, going in cold.

I just buried my axe in Magni's FACE.

Great game so far. Really loving the combat.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Crappy Jack posted:

A stealth section in a God of War game would probably just involve ripping peoples' eyes out of their skulls.
Yes, but quietly. If the eyeballs hit the ground, game over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

It’s the 20th mah dudes

See y’all later

Patch is just under a gig

From Reddit:

quote:

You can now press R3 to compare between armour sets and then simply press square on a different armour piece to transfer all the enchantments.

Also you can exchange XP for hacksilver now. Sell resources in the shop

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Aug 20, 2018