Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah I mean society kind of only exists because by and large most women are natural caregivers. Like their brain bombs itself with chemicals to make sure they love the baby and take care of it and not leave it by the road when it cries.

I’m sure we’re barely 2 years away from an indie walking sim where you discover a bombed out train station but it’s actually a metaphor for post partem depression.

If you actually want to experience a perfect gender-swap of the Ellie/Joel, watch the movie “Ultraviolet” to see how those kind of stories would turn out.

Hey bud....get some therapy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I can sell basically every old yellow and purple armor I'm not using and just wait for the red versions?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
My dick is constantly bombing itself with chemicals.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I can sell basically every old yellow and purple armor I'm not using and just wait for the red versions?

Yeah although hanging onto the Nippleheim set can help you get started on NG+.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Do you keep your nipple/muscleheim ciphers in a new game plus or do you have to find them all again?

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Yeah although hanging onto the Nippleheim set can help you get started on NG+.

What's the best NG+ armor set? Cod? I blasted an Ogre with just Ratutaskr using it last night

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

The Cod set is really good with well-balanced stats, although if you already have the endgame valkyrie gear from the normal game that can take you very far into NG+ as well.

You gotta find all the Nipple and Muscle ciphers again to travel back to those realms, probably for sequence breaking reasons.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Certain abilities are locked like the ability to throw the green light around, but some stuff you wouldn't expect to work like using chaos blades for helweed or whatever it's called you can do almost everywhere including chests which is helpful. Sometimes there will be an arbitrary lock icon on a climbing location even if you do clear the helbramble that was blocking it, like the final-final climb up the last of the mountain for example.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah I mean society kind of only exists because by and large most women are natural caregivers. Like their brain bombs itself with chemicals to make sure they love the baby and take care of it and not leave it by the road when it cries.

I’m sure we’re barely 2 years away from an indie walking sim where you discover a bombed out train station but it’s actually a metaphor for post partem depression.

If you actually want to experience a perfect gender-swap of the Ellie/Joel, watch the movie “Ultraviolet” to see how those kind of stories would turn out.

Please explain to me what the birth orgasm is, oh great wise one.

:yikes:

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
No let’s instead discuss this cool game!!!!!

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Freya's kind of a bad mom

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Ainsley McTree posted:

Freya's kind of a bad mom

But she doesn't really redeem herself. I am eagerly looking forward to her coming back as a Valkyrie in the next or third game and Kratos ripping her wings off with his bare hands.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Hey talk about what matters like what blade pommel is the best.

Also FYI Surtr's grip of Flame+ absolutely wrecks with Cod of War armor. The R1 hold axe spin shoots a wave of fire for every hit it would normally do so it keeps enemies in the air indefinitely or stunlocked on the ground.

I don't think it does it for the delayed R1 and R2 axe spins, however.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

shortspecialbus posted:

Oh right, I forgot that Niflheim gives hacksilver too. I beat the game back in April and haven't thought about it since then.

This has been fascinating to me, I'm used to games I like as much as this one being part of the conversation for much longer, like the souls games for example. This one was just a huge flash and then nothing.

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

With new game plus its a lot more interesting, but the main issues (if you even want to call it that, it's a great game) are that gow is more story driven than souls games and does not have the option of replaying with different specs that make a big difference in playstyle.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
also souls has a huge and complex multiplayer mechanic that incentives creative builds

God of War is a pretty good play it once and done experience, and most of those experiences are gonna be very similar cause it takes a good long while to really crack open the high level play, which you never particularly need to do at any point, like, you can play the whole game and never touch runics and never play with equipment loadouts beyond "this one has bigger numbers"

there's a good layer of depth to the combat mechanics, but most people I've seen play this game either don't engage with it or dismiss it when it's not to their tastes

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You can never touch runics if you don't want to have fun, sure.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I think a big part of it is also that the narrative in this game isn't questionable or vague, or up to interpretation, for the most part. There is some discussion to be had about where they will go next, but there's no real discussion on whether the choices the characters make (as you have no choices yourself) were justified. As a counterpoint you could look at The Last of Us, which people discussed or months afterward and wrote multiple articles about the philosophy and justification of the ending, despite the player having no real agency in choosing how the game ended. GoW, on the other hand, is pretty cut and dry in its presentation, and while that doesn't mean it has any less depth than a more nuanced narrative, there's also a lot less to discuss, particularly when you know there's more to come from the story.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
how much progress should i be making in muspellheim upon unlocking it

i've gotten to sword 3 (i think) and this rematch against the dark elf king is proving a bit of a bother

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Oxxidation posted:

i've gotten to sword 3 (i think) and this rematch against the dark elf king is proving a bit of a bother

Muspelheim and Niflheim are optional challenge areas, so however much you feel like putting up with.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Oxxidation posted:

Go back later, you'll likely find the last tier impossible right now and that's where you get paid.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I found it way easier to complete all or most of teh Midgard stuff to max out most of the axe and blade abilities (those that you can) before tackling both of them. Honestly, Nif was a little easier, I did that a bit first to stock up and beef up my gear and whatnot, then used that to do Musp.

The key thing is to do the Dwarves' quest, as Sindri's chestpiece is literally the best torso piece in the game, even though its stats end up slightly lower than the Valkyrie armor when maxed out... the special ability on it is stupidly good and handy, especially when you end up with 100+ Cooldown and are dropping Runics constantly, which is basically how you farm Nif easily. I used that armor all the way to the end, with the Valk gloves and belt filling out the rest.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Came back to playing this. Sigrun is still kicking my rear end and I want to kill her before I finish the main story *sigh*.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Palpek posted:

Came back to playing this. Sigrun is still kicking my rear end and I want to kill her before I finish the main story *sigh*.

Doing all side content before the main story is just a good way to burn out and completely destroy the pacing of the story. My recommendation is to finish the story now. Defeating Sigrun was the last thing I did for the Platinum which felt pretty appropriate. The game smoothly transitions from ending into post game.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Renoistic posted:

Doing all side content before the main story is just a good way to burn out and completely destroy the pacing of the story. My recommendation is to finish the story now. Defeating Sigrun was the last thing I did for the Platinum which felt pretty appropriate. The game smoothly transitions from ending into post game.

Yeah I'll co-sign that. Some of the side stuff is meant to be post-game content you're meant to bang your head against, don't burn out before you finish this very good game. And the post-game open world makes sense from a story perspective so don't worry about anything feeling thematically jarring.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
I am a few hours in to my first playthrough. I started the game on "Give me a Challenge," but got destroyed by trash mobs early on. But now that I have a good amount of skills and upgrades, I'm breezing through most combat encounters. I'm going to bump the difficult back up and see how it goes.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the difficulty curve in this game feels weird. It tutorializes by slowly giving you more and more moveset to worry about, but it doesn't really nerf any of the opponents as you're learning.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
That is the consensus in this thread. The beginning parts are rough on the highest difficulty. Hell I bumped down when I couldn’t finish off those huge guys quick in time because they kept attacking BOI and I got combo’d to death by their non blockables.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah the 2 higher difficulties are definitely tuned around you having some tools and moves at your disposal. Basically the whole New Game up until Brok is built around Normal difficulty, Hard and GoW both feel really bad and grind-y until then. Conversely, even GoW+ barely feels like a step up in challenge because you've got all your gear and runes. It can help feel like you're really getting stronger/better to tough it out through that first part of the game, but if you're having a Bad Time then you should absolutely drop down to Normal at least until the first blacksmith.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Early on in hard mode you must use environmental kills and damage to win as well as rely on punches. The axe is essentially there to control individual enemies while you take a second one out.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Axe will not save you.

Only trust your fists.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Ok I finished the game and immediately went home to see the final final ending. The sequel will be cool as hell. Also I don't really have the motivation to go back to getting owned by Sigrun so I guess this is it lol.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Palpek posted:

Ok I finished the game and immediately went home to see the final final ending. The sequel will be cool as hell. Also I don't really have the motivation to go back to getting owned by Sigrun so I guess this is it lol.

I never beat Sigrun in my first playthrough even post-story. However NG+ I seem to be doing a lot better against the Valkyries than I did the first go, significantly so, and I think I'll give it another shot. It probably helps that I am level 10 now rather than 5-7 which is what I did most of them at.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Palpek posted:

I don’t blame you I still haven’t tried again. I’m not good at endurance fights because I tend to make mistakes a lot and boy does Sigrun punishes you like hell if you slip up

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Sigrun is a real challenge because she can give you a lot of different looks and it's hard to read what she's thinking unless you're already very familiar with all her tactics. Just like women in real life, am I right fellas?!

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

For Sigrun I found the best combo was Hel's Flash or whatever it's called and Frost Giant's Frenzy (I think? the one where you keep slamming the ground with R2), along with the Wolves for BOY and the blue stun arrows, not the lightning ones. Never use the Blades.

The reasoning behind this is that the flash move is just the best Light Runic by far... it recharges the fastest, is stupidly fast to trigger, and it can knock Sigrun out of most of her attacks, at least on NG playing on Hard. The Giant slam I went with over the Frost damage buff thing because it recharges faster, ends up actually doing more damage if you catch her in the maxed out one, and at least while I was using my Sindri chest + 2 Valk combo I was basically invincible while doing it, although every hit would make her flinch and the last two you can actually move forward to catch her as she retreats.

The Wolves are handier than the Crows for her because the Crows do basically nothing to her... she won't flinch and they do lovely damage, so they're a waste. The Wolves pretty consistently flinch her and can actually knock her out of the air or various attacks, like when she does the unblockable stab into the ground with the AoE light flash... sometimes you're too close to level geometry to be able to get away fast enough, that's what Hel's or the wolves are for. The stun arrows you use because they do more flinch damage and knock her out of the air faster when she does that chain of flying up and throwing a mess of poo poo at you, or flies up and does the fast blinding shockwave. You could throw the axe at her, of course, but it's easier to have BOY shoot her down because you can keep blocking the 4 golden discs or dodge the unblockable one that will gently caress you up. This doesn't work on NG+, though, so... haha get hosed? Some people use Ratatoskr instead for the free items, but eh, I found the wolves to be more useful to give you some breathing room since they slap her around for a few seconds. The wolves were also great to trigger when you hit Spartan Rage because they lock her down so she can't really dash around and waste your bar, plus she's not attacking you and also wasting your bar so you can regenerate the maximum possible health.

The reason you don't use the Blades is that they just don't hit hard enough and if you're using the same gear sets that most are at that point, you've got more of the special unlocks going on the Axe, plus the blades have longer attack animations and just don't do as much damage, and you can't throw them at her in a pinch to get her out of the air. The axe can also trigger the frost debuff if you get a good run, and that actually does slow her down slightly which can help with dodge timing.

For the Enchantment it was all about Kvasir's for me, the bullet time dodge is super handy, particularly with her double-chained attacks since you could dodge the first strike and then knock her out of the attack with Hel's while in bullet time, or just charge up a heavy strike to smash her if you were fast enough.

All that poo poo plus a Berserker Resurrection stone and you should be able to pull it off. Trigger your Spartan Rage early on when you've taken like 40% of your bar in damage rather than waiting until you're down in the red, as well... if you get lucky like I did, you'll end up recharging it enough to trigger the shorter one and never even need to use the Resurrection Stone.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Sep 3, 2018

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
It took me around two hours of retries to beat the final Valkyrie. Felt worth it in the end though!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
when am i able to increase atreus' arrow count to 4? i just got back from Helheim and the quiver upgrade still isn't available

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I think those are story upgrades unfornately. Err wait you are at Heilheim? Uh.. shouldn't be too far off then.

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Sep 3, 2018

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

The best light axe Runic is Leviathan's wake because it slows time and interrupts everything you could think of and has infinite reach, and the best heavy blades runic is Hyperion Slam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

I finally got back to this game and finished it after burning out midway and pausing for a while. Great game, with a surprisingly sweet ending. I'm impressed how different the tone of this game is from the previous ones in the series while still using them as a foundation, and building on the Kratos of those games instead of just throwing everything out and/or rebooting. I'm looking forward to seeing where the story goes (which I did not expect to say about a God of War game), especially with the hints and teasers in the ending. I'm really looking forward in particular to seeing what they do with the other realms; I don't see the art design talked about a lot, but it was fantastic throughout.

gently caress Sigrun, though.

Lord Hydronium fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Sep 3, 2018