Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Kibayasu posted:

I loved that part. It didn't last long enough to get actually annoying but by the time it stopped I was definitely ready to feed BOY to the World Serpent.

I liked the characterization but it got annoying for me game-play wise pretty soon after he killed Modi. I could swear Boy would actually disobey my in-game commands and did whatever he wanted during fights. There were moments when he would flat out refuse to fire his bow at things I told him too and would just shout "NO!" at me.

I know there were scripted events like him going ape poo poo on a Soul Eater before I even decide to engage it but this was like Boy didn't want to play Dad of War with me anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

AndyElusive posted:

I liked the characterization but it got annoying for me game-play wise pretty soon after he killed Modi. I could swear Boy would actually disobey my in-game commands and did whatever he wanted during fights. There were moments when he would flat out refuse to fire his bow at things I told him too and would just shout "NO!" at me.

I know there were scripted events like him going ape poo poo on a Soul Eater before I even decide to engage it but this was like Boy didn't want to play Dad of War with me anymore.

That definitely happens, it's right at his peak "I'm a god now so I can be as big an rear end in a top hat as I want!" phase. He'll ignore the arrow button and cast spells without being told to.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

AndyElusive posted:

Yeah... That was intentional. Were you paying attention to the story?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Fuzz posted:

Yeah... That was intentional. Were you paying attention to the story?

Totally, but it still didn't stop it from being annoying or wanting to fling Boy into the stratosphere with my Chains of Chaos. Know what I'm saying, brother?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

AndyElusive posted:

Totally, but it still didn't stop it from being annoying or wanting to fling Boy into the stratosphere with my Chains of Chaos. Know what I'm saying, brother?

I mean, that's kinda the point. They want you to internalize Kratos' frustration, and they did it amazingly.

Welcome to being the parent of a teenager. This is the poo poo your parents had to put up with, but they did it for YEARS.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Fuzz posted:

I mean, that's kinda the point. They want you to internalize Kratos' frustration, and they did it amazingly.

Welcome to being the parent of a teenager. This is the poo poo your parents had to put up with, but they did it for YEARS.

I get it and the fact that Angst Boy annoyed me so much should really tip you off about how much I got it.

haveblue posted:

That definitely happens, it's right at his peak "I'm a god now so I can be as big an rear end in a top hat as I want!" phase. He'll ignore the arrow button and cast spells without being told to.

In that case, pretty God damned immersive.

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jan 17, 2019

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

That may have been my favorite part of the game. It was such a holy poo poo moment when I realized what was happening.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Kilometers Davis posted:

That’s may have been my favorite part of the game. It was such a holy poo poo moment when I realized what was happening.

:agreed:

But apparently that pissed off and annoyed people. :confused:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Well I'm playing on the hardest difficulty and I kind of depend on Boy doing what I tell him. :colbert:

Sorry that THAT annoys YOU.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The entire “Atreyu disobeys you” episode can be done in like 10-15 minutes, and I recommend rushing through it.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

AndyElusive posted:

Well I'm playing on the hardest difficulty and I kind of depend on Boy doing what I tell him. :colbert:

Sorry that THAT annoys YOU.

You’ve complained about the difficult and frustrating bits a few times. Why are you playing on the hardest difficult? Knock it down to normal and you’ll have a way better time!

Not trying to be a jerk btw I just want you to enjoy the game. Normal is still quite challenging.

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jan 17, 2019

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Don't worry guys I made it past all the Angry Atreyu parts already several hours ago.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The Noclip documentary guys did an interview with Cory Barlog, mega pro-click.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQQh8L1Rf7g

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Hi I just bought this game and it is Good.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

:hai:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Good of War.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Back to finish new game plus after taking a red dead redemption release break. Game still good. Thanks for reading

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Cory Barlog breaking down what went into the game's most iconic scene. Mega spoilers obviously but very cool to watch. I can't believe The Blades of Chaos almost got cut!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4XRmMkQcuQ

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Cory Barlog breaking down what went into the game's most iconic scene. Mega spoilers obviously but very cool to watch. I can't believe The Blades of Chaos almost got cut!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4XRmMkQcuQ

It’s so weird to think of a version of the game without that. Not just from the story but how the game would have played without.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
I really hate that that blades of chaos moment did nothing for me. And im a big GOW fan even enjoying the previous prequel installment no one liked. Just felt like oh ok the weapon he has in every game he’ll have again.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I thought the moment was cool, but I didn't actually like using the blades at all. I guess they were fine, but the axe was so goddamned fun to use, I don't know why you'd ever stop unless you had to.

Ainsley McTree fucked around with this message at 02:34 on May 5, 2019

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Yea same. I only think about them when I need to use the moves or story progression. The axe feels amazing

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Fuzz posted:

Also the boy is likeable while chances are you're not

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I used the blades all the time. They were great for getting/keeping space.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I like both

Don’t @ me

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I like both

Don’t @ me

i'm gna @ you to agree w/ you

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Isn’t this the non spoiler thread? Might want to fix the posts above so people don’t get spoiled.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
It’s been over a year hasn’t it? Eh.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

the_american_dream posted:

It’s been over a year hasn’t it? Eh.

I mean....it's fuzzy, whatever, I'll put mine in tags but I feel like the cat's out of the barn on this one. If you haven't played this game yet but you're reading posts on the internet about it, you're taking your own chances imo

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Been thinking about giving this a shot again, I never did check out NG+ or GMGOW.

I'm guessing GMGOW is designed for NG+ based on some videos I've seen (by which I mean I'm absolutely not going to start a fresh file on it), so what's some things I need to make sure I have before I start doing it? I'll start a new game from the beginning anyway since it's been like two years and I desperately need a refresher.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

It does help if you already have some of the gear you can get from the valkyries in a normal game since most of it remains good well into NG+. So if you haven't killed all of them already you might want to give it another shot before you make an NG+ save file.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I didn’t play any of the prior games, but watched a few YouTube videos about who Kratos was and everything that had happened in the prior games. I still felt like when he pulled out the blades it was a very impactful, “oh shiiit” moment. The moves you can unlock were insane. One of them was a heavy slam that basically popped off a small nuclear explosion, which I used all the time. They also complimented the axe perfectly. I’d let off all my special attacks with the blades, switch to the axe, and do the same.

That director is cool and geez it seems like there’s so much thought and passion, and time and money put into these games. Sometimes I feel filming a movie like interstellar is still chump change compared to everything that goes into making God of War or TLOU2 or something. Games are a real and powerful medium for emotion and story telling.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Blind Rasputin posted:

I didn’t play any of the prior games, but watched a few YouTube videos about who Kratos was and everything that had happened in the prior games. I still felt like when he pulled out the blades it was a very impactful, “oh shiiit” moment. The moves you can unlock were insane. One of them was a heavy slam that basically popped off a small nuclear explosion, which I used all the time. They also complimented the axe perfectly. I’d let off all my special attacks with the blades, switch to the axe, and do the same.

That director is cool and geez it seems like there’s so much thought and passion, and time and money put into these games. Sometimes I feel filming a movie like interstellar is still chump change compared to everything that goes into making God of War or TLOU2 or something. Games are a real and powerful medium for emotion and story telling.

:hmmyes:

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I liked the reveal of the blades, thematically, but I didn't really like using them. Mostly because the axe was so fun and cool that I never wanted to stop using it, but also because after all of the physics-defying nonsense you could get up to with them in the old games, being grounded and limited to an over-the shoulder view with relatively short range just didn't feel right.

BigHandsVince
Mar 30, 2007
Mamma Mia, my hands are huge!

I haven't read the thread as I'm trying to avoid spoilers.

I had been avoiding the hype but eventually picked this up.

Can't believe how awesome and polished this is, great game, most fun I've had on ps4.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Didn’t wanna ship it, but no bites locally

Slide into my DMs if you wanna sort a deal

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
I don’t think anyone keeps up here anymore but maybe complaining online will help.

Restarted a Give me God of War run through recently and I just can not loving get past the part where you initially get the chaos blades . From everything I’ve seen this is just a glorified tutorial to be completed easy peasy but I swear either I’m extremely all of a sudden real bad at the game or it’s glitched and these ice fucks just endlessly spawn

They tank right through my hits, no health every generates after killing them and even with a Spartan rage prompt they just eventually overwhelm me. It’s really frustrating

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
And I didn’t bother creating a save before that particular point of no return to do side missions to maybe level a bit so I’m just in hell

Edit. Yep just needed to complain

the_american_dream fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Apr 30, 2021

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I think the fight before it is like “ugh look how annoying these guys are” and the fight after is “see how easy it is with the right tools?!”

So if you were having trouble with the latter fight it was just a case of the yips prob

I just replayed this on PS5 and it was a much different experience, I’d only played it on standard PS4 previously. Very smooth, less loading time, looked spectacular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Dogen posted:

I just replayed this on PS5 and it was a much different experience, I’d only played it on standard PS4 previously. Very smooth, less loading time, looked spectacular.

God of War and Ghost of Tsushima are the main reasons why I'm annoyed about PS5 shortages. They look great on PS4 but they're fully gorgeous at 60 fps