Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So how many more times will Kratos be about to pat his failure son's back only to stop and stare meaningfully at his hand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I thought the Stranger's weird way of walking and carrying himself gave his identity away

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Soul eaters aren’t fun to fight, at least the one you fight in that mine as a favor to Brok. Small window to slightly hurt him while he can two shot you with his fast ranged aoe attacks

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Nightmares are the wooooorst

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
So the compass is worse than worthless, huh
I'm in I assume the first hub area, after meeting the world serpent, on an island where I have to destroy three shrines to release a dragon and the compass completely freaks the gently caress out and will point me in the direction of the last shrine supposedly but apparently I'm getting away from it then it will freak out and move the marker all over the compass wheel.
Also I don't appreciate how a bunch of puzzles are just pixel hunts

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Fighting a troll that has homing splash damage aoe attacks with little windup that knock off two thirds of my health

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
SHUT THE gently caress UP ATREUS

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Acelerion posted:

I feel like I'm defaulting to fighting most things with ranged combat and when I get up in the poo poo I get worked pretty good.

I just axe threw fire troll to death

Yes but it's so tedious and at any time the troll can decide to launch his teleguided volcano sole in the general vicinity of your existence and kill you instantly

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I wish you could hit a toggle so Atreus will shut the gently caress up when you die because shut the gently caress up Atreus I know I’m dead

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Sony did hit the nail on the head with this game’s release timing. People who grew up playing the original series most likely are dads who disappoint their sons intensely by this point

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Seriously when in combat just keep slamming square and enemies will be flying all over the place in purple hazes of WEAK

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

Im confused on how to progress. I'm in Alfheim and every direction involves the blue gems that make bridges, but the boy just says "too bad the witches bow string doesn't work anymore"

There is some conspicuous blue brazier that looks like it might recharge it, and that's my best guess but the boy won't interact with it. No idea what to do next here.

Follow Atreus around, your bow will gain the ability to shoot light arrows after a cool setpiece you can’t miss

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Kinda disappointed that as far as I understand the gow series is about using a million different weapons and tools while this gow has the axe, your fists, the boy and that's it as far as I know (past Alfheim)
Also can we make DAD an official game genre now? Last of us, this game, come on

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
People with Pros need to take some compressed air to the vents because my pro is quiet as a whisper

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Media Bloodbath posted:

I'm pretty sure quite a few of them have botched thermal paste jobs.
Just out of interest, is yours in a vertical or horizontal position?

Horizontal

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Kinda wish I knew ancient Nordic runelanguage so I understood what the hell the enemies are barking at me

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Man the game’s really telegraphing what I assume will be a boss fight climax’s with Bowki’s quiver and the mistletoe

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
There was a crab. His mom wanted him to stop walking sideways and walk forward instead.

The End.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I just got a new chisel, how far away am I from a scene where Kratos accidentally and meaningfully calls the boy SON

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
This game is so odd. The story is middling and obviously trying to chase that Last of Us Dad Theme, the combat is mediocre and takes too long to open up, or relies too much on the boy, and the characters are cliche and kinda obnoxious
But somehow it all comes together to form an actually pretty great game. Not a goty for me, but it’s pretty good.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Something something more than the sum of its parts

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I like when I hit the guys enough I can then tear the guys apart

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Republicans posted:

I always took Kratos' sternness with the BOY as him trying to raise him to not be a pussy that gets murdered by the numerous things in the world that want to kill him.

I dunno man I’ve never considered myself a pussy but I’ve never killed scores of flying hell elves with a magical bow and a bottomless quiver of magical arrows plus my mom’s hunting knife

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Alright cool, thank you!

The longer you take the more Atreus complains and Kratos is all like SHUT UP I GOT THIS GIVE ME A SECOND until Atreus just stands in front of a set of three and is like TRY THIS WAY FIRST GOSH

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
It cannot be stressed enough, your best most useful tool is the boy, always be smashing square

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Kawabata posted:

I don't know if you're playing at the hardest difficulty level but they were not.

Their difficulty however didn't come from trial and error stuff but from the small gow combat flaws that are really aggravating when fights are challenging. Like Kratos' massive body obstructing part of your vision when you need to throw quickly, and the loving minuscule white reticle (really) that is almost always lost in the snows of midgard making me miss every time Magni threw Modi. Their moves were fine, the aoe stuff was pretty cheap from time to time but heh.

It was unironically satisfying to bury the axe in that dude's face.

I like the other dude's reaction basically being wtf how the gently caress did that happen we're gods this isn't supposed to happen

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I like how you can almost hear Kratos grinding his teeth when that guy starts going on and on about Ty

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

SettingSun posted:

Man I haven't found any Valkyries yet. Maybe I should explore more.

You're sorta shepherded into one after you find the chisel

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Kratos desperately trying to hide that amphora like a father trying to hide a picture of his goth phase from high school

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
So I never played any of the previous games and only knew some superficial stuff before playing this game. What’s the deal with Kratos

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
So like why come Tyr doesn’t get more rep in pop culture

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Literally every time I start the game I get the prompt to update it, get it together game

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Man just beat it and I want a sequel already because I wanna see where they're going with this

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
gently caress you neighbors enjoy Jormungard's window shaking gurgling and the loud as gently caress Sparta theme

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Phobophilia posted:

You can tell that it was done by a pro because of the composition.

Also you can tell they had some downtime to get someone to whip something up in 10min.

Intentional goofy art takes longer than that though

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Fuzz posted:

I get the feeling the final game we might actually be playing AS Boy, because Kratos is already dead or something.

I still maintain that in gow 2 Kratos will need to get to Valhalla and will have to die in combat to get there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Fuzz posted:

I mean, that's kinda the point. They want you to internalize Kratos' frustration, and they did it amazingly.

Welcome to being the parent of a teenager. This is the poo poo your parents had to put up with, but they did it for YEARS.

Also the boy is likeable while chances are you're not