Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

PSA: Do not start on God of War difficulty as a beginner. This game is hard enough on Challenging and you won’t be able to change it back later! :siren:

E3 2016 Reveal Trailer
Complete Story Recap, including the mobile games
Tech Showcase with PS4 Pro enhancements
Game Informer God of War cover story - lots of cool videos!

God of War is the new fourth mainline title from Santa Monica Studio's popular hack & slash series for the Sony Playstation. Players again take control of Kratos, the epically angry Spartan demigod who ended his last outing with Mount Olympus destroyed and the world flooded. Some unforetold period of time has passed since those events, and we now find Kratos living in seclusion in the realm of Norse mythology with his pre-teen son, Atreus. The story begins with the death of Atreus' mother and her dying wish: To have her ashes scattered from the highest point in Midgard. Some god trickery presumably goes down soon after, and the story carries on from there. Although a direct sequel, God of War makes many notable departures from the series in both presentation and gameplay. Gone are the flashy combos and dynamic camera in favor of more grounded, crunchy combat and an intimate third-person view. The iconic Blades of Chaos have been traded in for the thoroughly metal Leviathan Axe, which can be thrown and called back at will. You can even augment weapons and armor with crafting materials because that's in every game now! Kratos himself is no longer just a searing ball of vengeance and rage, but is tempered by the presence of his son, who grows with him and can assist with puzzles and disabling enemies. This unusually narrative-focused entry is being led by Cory Barlog, the Creative Director for God of War 2, and has gotten almost as much attention for its story and characters as its gameplay.

God of War has been getting an insane amount of 10/10 reviews and we are all mega-hype in here. It officially releases 12am EST on April 20th, 2018.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mi7uHVbOnjI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNU8n-9QopI

exquisite tea fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Apr 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

TFW you gotta work the Saturday after this game comes out.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Just as a heads up try not to visit YouTube before tonight as some pretty spoilery stuff is being uploaded!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Hellblade is one good-rear end viking themed game, although completely different from God of War.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Here's a good thematically appropriate browser game to play while you wait for God of War to release:

http://www.pippinbarr.com/games/letsplayancientgreekpunishment/LetsPlayAncientGreekPunishment.html

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I am fully alert and prepared to bring down the Norse pantheon in t-minus 20 minutes.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I started on Give Me a Challenge and it is definitely A Challenge so far, but I'm getting the hang of it. The difficulty levels actually mean what they say in this game.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Well I've played just about 5 1/2 hours now, took my time clearing out the little side areas in the Lake of Nine (except the rift bosses gently caress those guys). I'm on the second hardest difficulty and I've graduated from dying almost every encounter to only nearly dying, and I took out the Soul Eater boss without too much trouble. So far I'd say this is just about everything you'd want from a single-player AAA experience. Superb visuals, interesting combat, just enough mystery in the main story to keep you going. Can't wait to go back!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

the_american_dream posted:

God of War is one of the games I immediately go to the hardest settings on so the difficulty talk is intriguing me. Those of you who tried the God of War setting is it more difficult or about the same as this series typically is on Crushing

You gonna die.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I don’t see any so-called clunkiness to the combat really, I just see myself sucking and the many opportunities to play better by incorporating more of my toolset.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Harrow posted:

How's do the normal and second-highest difficulties compare? Is it one of those situations where "Give Me a Balanced Experience" is too easy and "Give Me a Challenge" is too big of a leap above that, or is one of those a decent sweet spot?

I'm playing on Challenge difficulty and it's pretty hard to my average gamer sensibilities. Definitely not like a Horizon or Uncharted situation where the Normal is a bit too easy. Kratos dies real fast and there is a learning curve as you come to blend more of your abilities together.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

DLC Inc posted:

man it's crazy this is sold out in both my gamestops plus amazon. hope to play this soon lol.

how's the framerate performance, is it a mainly stable and smooth 30fps?

It's the best performing game I've seen on the PS4 since Horizon Zero Dawn, near-perfect 30fps at all times favoring resolution on the Pro.

The environment design is also out of this world. Anybody who only thought the new God of War was just gonna be snowy woods forever, you're in for a treat.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

These side areas are amazing. You think you're just doing cleanup detail for some dead guy next thing you know you're ascending a mountain while a dragon breathes fire at you to epic choir music.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

JBP posted:

Also the combat gets very spicy once you are powered up. It's a good dynamic as you progress. Suddenly you are in full blown battles throwing an axe, using your skills (you are frosty Thor and Atreus is Rocket Raccoon) and are acting like a god of war.

Once you start incorporating everything in your moveset you really start to feel like a boss. When I first started out I favored the axe, but now I've maxed out my shield talents because Kratos' fists are just as good and shield parries are awesome. Setting up those R3 grabs with Atreus, knockin' dudes off cliffs and into walls, get rekt (when I'm not dying 8 times in a row to wolves).

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

LoS him behind a pillar and toss your axe into his chest, then go punch him until he fall down go night night.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

L2 has long been the standard aim button for all the fine chick with bow games and is the most natural thing in the world to me. Circle is the one true roll button tho fukkk X.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I must say I'm consistently impressed by the environment design of this game. Every zone is just insanely detailed, visually distinct and well-composed.

I'm also glad I stuck with the growing pains of Challenging because now I'm really wreckin' stuff.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The combat really started coming together for me once I realized Kratos' fists + shield are way better than the axe, which is better used as a ranged attack + crowd control device while you slam dudes halfway across the map. When Atreus gets Light arrows you can really fill up the stun meter into R3 sync kills in a hurry on the regular mooks going bare-handed. Once you start using all your moves in conjunction with one another it's freakin awesome and you look like a boss.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Kilometers Davis posted:

I just went through the light beam area and beat the boss and yeahhhhh this is just as good as the 10/10 reviews said. So dang happy about this game existing. If it’s not my GOTY then good lord 2018 is going to be insane. The combat is the most fun I’ve had fighting in any game ever. I’m desperate for a horde mode down the line. Also come on patch that photo mode in ASAP! I haven’t seen an eta on it but it’s surely coming soon.

What runic attacks are you guys enjoying? I haven’t totally settled on an R1 but I like the wide horizontal slash I got somewhere recently. R2 has been the leap smash aoe freeze since I first got it. Absolutely wrecks clusters of enemies.

The shield charge light runic is really good because it not only makes Kratos immune to all damage during the run, but cancels all stun and poison/burn effects while it's active.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

DLC Inc posted:

I feel like I'm gonna eventually need to drop to Normal difficulty because the enemies have SO MUCH HEALTH. It sucks when you're wailing on something but the stun takes so long to kick in plus some enemies are just so loving spongy. I can deal with a difficulty adding more enemies or attack patterns but just having dudes soak up so much poo poo is bonkers

I stuck it out on Challenging and it became much more manageable once I fully maxed out my shield skills and Atreus got Light Arrows. You can build up the stun meter so fast with fists + arrows + shield that it doesn't even matter how much HP the bad guys have because Kratos is ripping them in half with R3 every couple seconds.

Atreus upgrades are really important, especially his rate of fire and stun/expose passives.

gently caress I'm off to play more God of War!!! :black101:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I can't wait until someone puts out a GoW highlight reel because as cool as Kratos looks in combat to me, I believe a more skilled gamer than I could make it all flow masterfully.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Just unlocked the gates to Muspelheim, holy crap this game is gigantic and the world design is consistenly impressive. I don't know if you could describe a game as "expensive looking" but GoW is definitely it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

One of the unlockable realms is basically a glorified monster arena so you'll get your wish.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Also mods I've made up my mind for the subtitle itt and it should be God of War: About a BOY please rename.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Just fought my first Valkyrie in extremely epic fashion. Got her down on my first try, a sliver of my own health landing perfect shield parries to seal the deal. Really glad I stuck with Challenging because now my combination of skills + gear is owning.

I am consistently amazed by the quality of level design. Even what you think are going to be little side areas have tons of secret rooms and treasures, or lead into some meaningful character development between Kratos and BOY. When they said GoW was going to be a 30-35 hour game I think they were being a bit too conservative, I can easily see it taking 50+ to clear out everything.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Also to any newcomers despite being a mass market AAA gigundo seller this game does not gently caress around with difficulty, hard is hard.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

esperterra posted:

Wolves are assholes.

I must have died at least ten times in a row to that loving wolf cave in Fafnir's treasure room, especially since I went there super early in the story.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Sekenr posted:

So far I've seen 2 types of armor, one is kinda like a 1-tit bra and the other is like a shirt.

I'm wearing the Traveler set right now and I look like some rando clown who's about to get his rear end kicked in Dark Souls.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Having lots of sockets and good jewelry to stick in there helps out a ton, especially with all the stacking passive effects like cooldown reset and defense boost.

I've stuck with the shield charge and ice slam as my light and heavy runic attacks for almost the entire game up to this point, they feel so nice to use in conjunction. The kid just got Boars.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

jizzy sillage posted:

I've been using the frost giant frenzy heavy runic, max upgraded that thing does ridiculous damage and interrupts even heavy enemies.

Yeah that's the one I use, Kratos wailing away 30 times a second never gets old.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Is there an easy way to track those hidden doorways that you can unlock once you find the chisel?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Kratos may be a deadbeat dad but he did well surrounding himself with the Norse pantheon, who sure ain't winning any parenting awards by comparison.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I don't think we're ever supposed to interpret Kratos as #1 Dad, like the guy is clearly a jerk who didn't want the responsibility of actual parenthood thrust upon him, and now he's doing the best he can to keep it all together and only maybe kinda softly rip an ogre's face off instead of full-on decapitatiooooooooooooon.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

This is easily the kind of game I could see myself playing multiple times. When I get through some epic story encounter I already wish I could hit rewind and dispatch the bad guys in more cinematic fashion, for a discerning audience of no one but myself.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I'm still trying to perfect the "Kratos kills the last dude with a blind axe recall while slowly walking away."

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I keep dying to this dumb Valkyrie boss that I could have easily beaten by now if I just went back to buy a resurrection stone but I am too freaking proud so I have wasted an hour of my life.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

nachos posted:

Played a couple hours so far and the presentation is just off the charts. Combat is really confusing at first though, especially the quick turn mechanic. I don’t remember half the moveset and am just awkwardly flailing around spamming attacks

There's definitely a learning curve at the start. Early on I forgot to use half my abilities and struggled. Once you're settled in and can more comfortably use your axe, shield, skills, fists and BOY things really start to flow together well.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Kawabata posted:

magni and modi are the worst boss design ive ever seen in a videogame in recent memory

Are you kidding? They were a joke, probably the single easiest boss fight I’ve had in this game so far.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Kawabata posted:

I don't know if you're playing at the hardest difficulty level but they were not.

Their difficulty however didn't come from trial and error stuff but from the small gow combat flaws that are really aggravating when fights are challenging. Like Kratos' massive body obstructing part of your vision when you need to throw quickly, and the loving minuscule white reticle (really) that is almost always lost in the snows of midgard making me miss every time Magni threw Modi. Their moves were fine, the aoe stuff was pretty cheap from time to time but heh.

It was unironically satisfying to bury the axe in that dude's face.

I am playing on Challenging and got them down on my first attempt, surprising as it usually takes me a couple tries on any boss. Magni was easy as hell to parry and I shield charged right through all their AOE.

For any difficult encounter in this game, I find it always helps to think "what can I parry here" and just concentrate on doing that reliably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Is there a way to dodge that Valkyrie swan dive in the secret Alfheim area where she keeps wailing on your rear end?