Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Jumped on this as well. Are the default controls optimal or do you want to switch to classic? Triggers for the attack seem odd to me after the PS2 games (and other brawlers), but if it's worth it I can see if I can retrain myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
I guess it lets you move the camera while attacking so maybe that's the point. I'm still smashing face buttons and getting severe finger cramping, but I see the benefit of freeing up my thumb (tho not enough to use it on other games).

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
As someone who built a new PC for cyberpunk and switched to this to test it instead (and who can't afford a PS5), please start bringing these games to PC ASAP (still waiting on persona 5).

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Can you waste limited materials on early upgrades to lock yourself out of later ones in this game, or are you pretty safe spending everything you have? I have a couple items from the realm tear fights, and can upgrade some of my rare armor with it, but I'm still pretty early in the game (just got Mimir). It looks like there may be a limited number of these realm tears so so I don't know if blowing it all now keeps me from upgrading later game armor. I also have just enough (3) leiptr alloys to upgrade one of my axe hilts, but again they seem to be in limited supply.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
It's this surtr's grip worth upgrading? The stats aren't much better(out actually worse) than the others, and the materials are such behind these trials which are super unfun. There's gotta be something in missing that makes it this hard to get?

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

That's the one I ended up using the most even though there are others which are higher level. The energy waves it shoots out seem to apply a stagger effect, so whenever the perk activates you can quickly rush down heavy enemies like the hammer draugrs with light attacks when normally they would be tanking through the hits and attacking you. The health regen is just an added bonus and can really help out in long fights. Never fully upgraded it since I didn't want to deal with the impossible trials but it's not like the extra 1 or 2 points in runic or whatever would make much of a difference, just upgrade it however much you can with the materials you have.

I can't upgrade it at all but I'm guessing you want some luck to help proc? Or does the shockwave always happen?

Also does level affect anything like damage bonus/penalties, or can I just jump into and valk fights at level 5?

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
I wonder if the levels apply to bosses, too. I managed to finish two Valkyries, but a purple level encounter is still destroying me (could also be me being garbage at handling multiple strong enemies.)

Edit: turns out they weren't even purple, just they dark elf elite fight in the fire realm challenge. The fact that there's no items to build for resistance to blindness kind of sucks and guarantees I won't be finishing that quest

Unfun enemies aside, game is so good and well built; I love just exploring and listening to the three of them talk about random things or interacting with that you're seeing; I hope you start the next game with Mimir and they don't pull a "reset all your stuff" in part 2 like they did the previous series.

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jan 27, 2022

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

haveblue posted:

If you aren't aware, you can resist blindness with the tools you have- if Kratos isn't looking at the bomb when it goes off, it has no effect on him

This would have saved me a lot of anger at this game over the past day, and Dark Elves are still the worst enemy in the game for me. Took out the Valkyrie on top to get a crest, but still doesn't drop all the ingredients I need, so now I have to unlock all these impossible challenges? PLEASE stop teasing me along and let me upgrade my cool axe!

Edit: ironically a chest at the top gives me the darkness resist enchantment.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
The game does an incredible job of making you want to fight Thor and Odin despite never seeing or meeting them.

Also, when Mimir talks about Freya being cursed, he says she was cursed to be unable to harm any living thing, so how is she fighting in the sequel trailer?

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Sigrun finally down; was actually a really exciting fight but my block finger is seriously cramped now. I'm way short of hacksilver to finish upgrading what I want so back to finish the main quest finally (Niflheim is a little too tedious for me).

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Feb 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Finally beat the game! I really like all the characters and hope Freya can be your friend again next game (despite the trailer shots...)

Does ng+ up the difficulty as well? Time to move up from standard, but I don't want to switch to challenge and then also get smacked by some ng+ shenanigans.