Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

man it's crazy this is sold out in both my gamestops plus amazon. hope to play this soon lol.

how's the framerate performance, is it a mainly stable and smooth 30fps?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

It's the best performing game I've seen on the PS4 since Horizon Zero Dawn, near-perfect 30fps at all times favoring resolution on the Pro.

The environment design is also out of this world. Anybody who only thought the new God of War was just gonna be snowy woods forever, you're in for a treat.

whoa high praise considering I thought Horizon was and still is the high mark for what a PS4 can do, sounds sick

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

man Hard mode is kicking my rear end. I've just got done meeting Brok and the journey thus far was full of "how am I gonna do this" moments lol. The Draug pit coming to life was tough but I never thought I'd get past that fight with the spearwielder guys and then 4 more dudes come out. Any suggestions for must-have skills at the start? I upgraded the bow once for Atreus and have 2 of his stun assist skils.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Kawabata posted:

why is the combat stiff as gently caress

you can cancel into a parry at almost any point in your movement, that's like the opposite of stiff

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

a lot of battles even before I got to the With of the Wood had me thinking "how the gently caress am I gonna do this" on Hard but now thank gently caress I've got equipment and my first health boost. I feel like the more along I get in the game the more options you get which is good, but man 2 of those early fights---the 10-draug pit and the "2 spearguys followed by another spearman and co" in particular--were really tough at a point where you don't have all that much in terms of stuff you can use.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I feel like I'm gonna eventually need to drop to Normal difficulty because the enemies have SO MUCH HEALTH. It sucks when you're wailing on something but the stun takes so long to kick in plus some enemies are just so loving spongy. I can deal with a difficulty adding more enemies or attack patterns but just having dudes soak up so much poo poo is bonkers

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

veni veni veni posted:

There's gotta be some trickery going on with these 7 realms or this game is enormous in length. I've only done Alfheim and I'm probably 10+ hours in. Although I have done pretty much all the side stuff I can find.

I think the "30 hours" sentiment from reviewers is probably more like 50+ with sidequests and if you play on a difficulty that isn't Easy. But yeah I'm at the realms selection place and I still haven't even unlocked the Magic tier of the Skills selection so I was wondering "holy hell how far am I even? 30 percent or 10 percent into this?"

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I'm curious how many people are on Normal and how many play it on Hard. I realize Hard will probably be more manageable later on but I just got to Alfheim and feel like I should take the difficulty down to Normal for the first time as a reward for grinding my blood and bones through some truly hellish scenarios where I thought "I'm never going to win this fight."

Playing on "GOW" difficulty going in blind sounds like a true mindfuck, idk how I'd be able to do it

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

Atreus has massively improved just in the time it took me to do the first realm and come back to Midgard. He was just plinking guys with arrows to distract them but now he's got upgraded arrows, a grapple movie, and he can summon a spectral wolf if I hold the button instead of tap it. He's extremely useful and it actually feels like we're teaming up on these guys.

yeah as soon as I was done with Alfheim I had enough experience to really transform my moveset and combat vocabulary into sick boomerang throws and sweeps, plus upgraded as much as I could for arrow damage and cooldown so Atreus is actually doing a lot of damage. The start of the game especially on Hard is really grueling when you have so little to utilize but now I feel the tables are evened out.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

for anyone who has beaten the main story, can you tell me in the most nonspoiler way possible how much percent of the way through I am in the core journey? I'm at the point where I just blew the horn and had Mimir speak to the Serpent..

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Over There posted:

You've got a good way to go friend.

Nice, was worried I was approaching a halfway point and I don't want this ride to end anytime soon. Just did an optional Ancient boss which had the ability to kill me in a single hit and won! His health bar was purple so I think I was punching up in that battle, feels good to win in Hard mode so far.

hahaha holy poo poo this game really is huge.

DLC Inc fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Apr 26, 2018

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I cannot imagine going through this game without knowing how to parry. You'd get hosed up so badly. Maybe on Normal difficulty you could possibly do ok but you'd look ridiculous with how often you'd have to flail and roll from everything. On Hard mode you definitely need at least the Parry followup attacks to engage with the enemies they throw at you. Luckily the parry is so goddamn smooth it seems like it can cancel Kratos' attack animations even in the middle, so it's very fluid.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

shortspecialbus posted:

The ancients in general were a challenge for me, they had that one laser beam attack that as far as I can tell was undodgeable and unblockable unless you could find something to hide behind, and there wasn't always a good place to do that.

I blocked the laserbeam just fine though, and when I fought an ancient on one of the islands it just gets blocked from the shield. It's those pesky energy balls that need to be dodged.

So far the only gripe I have with the game is "too many troll bosses" who amount to really bad Dark Souls bosses because all you do is circlestrafe around their asses, with occasional distraction Draugrs who pop up.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Kilometers Davis posted:

The game respects the player a lot. I like that and picked up on it early. The challenging stuff is challenging for sure but the game never goes for that cheap HAHA GOTCHA approach in a way that wastes your time and makes you have to walk away unhappy.

I was so loving thankful that the tag team boss battle had checkpoints in it.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

"Hello Old Friend"

I admit even though I suspected this would happen it was still loving awesome. It's crazy how I probably am only halfway through the game and now there's even more poo poo to master.

It's been jarring to hear all these horrific Thor stories in the wake of a new Avengers movie lol. I forget just how brutal the Aesir stories are in classical interpretation.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Serf posted:

any game with a good combat system should copy the challenge rooms from the Arkham games imo. especially the infinite mode from City

much like how I felt things like Witcher 3 or Breath of the Wild set new benchmarks for what open world stuff could be, I feel like God of War sets a new one for its incredible combat system. It takes so much from stuff like the Arkham and Souls series and transforms it into such a crazy good time.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I'm glad that God of War capitalized on the "dad game" genre but unlike Last of Us, your partner is actually insanely capable

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Bust Rodd posted:

*Kratos looks at hands*

RAPTUROUS APPLAUSE

*Kratos slowly looks from hands to BOY*

UPROARIOUS HYSTERICS, PEOPLE OPENLY WEEPING IN THE STREETS

*Kratos looks at BOY*

“Boy...”

A CACOPHONOUS SYMPHONY OF THUNDEROUS APPLAUSE, GENRE-DEFINING FOR DECADES TO COME

you joke but it is indicative of how truly low the bar is for competent storytelling in terms of expressions, body language, and inflections in games. that being said all of that stuff is genuinely very good in Dad Of War

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I've been playing on Give Me A Challenge the whole way through and it feels perfect as an "experienced" setting, except for the first few hours and battles of the game which are actually very difficult due to lack of skill vocabulary and options. No joke, the first pit of like a dozen Draugr followed by the first appearance of the sword and spear Draugmens was probably the toughest battle in the game for me wherein I felt like there was no way I could persist. Once you get to upgrade your poo poo and have all your runic attacks/talisman available, the game became totally fair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I'd really like a New Game+ just so I can have all my skills unlocked instantly. Or at the very least, if that doesn't work, just refund all the exp from the first run and then I have it all to immediately use and become jacked to poo poo when possible. I just really want even more from the game because the combat and fights are so loving great.