Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Aside from the hundreds of chests?

I think ostensibly the open-world design is excellent, but the traversal of said is tedious even after 10 hours because the platforming/climbing is so incredibly clunky. Kratos ends up engaging certain enemies in during cutscenes in such dynamic ways that when he is unable to jump down a small cliff due to limitations in the platforming/camera design patience just gets fried. The cinematic single take camera ends up trivializing most boss fights as well, a former strongpoint of the series.

The different design strategies feel at odds with each other, and are covered up by this incredible technical achievement of Single Take. Despite the seemless cinematic presentation there are a number of blatant reminders that you are playing a videogame at any given moment, from countless overt tutorials, item collectathons, and the need for camera to be positioned just so in order to climb up a wall so that assets can load in the background, in addition to a very blatant hub room and clunky fast travel.

Some of these things are done fairly well, others not. In any case they don't cohere all that well on the whole, but the camera trickery is very good at making the player look past that.

With the camera approach, and the other design elements, I feel the game's purpose is to convey its narrative. In that regard it either succeeds in having a good story that is well presented through the gameplay or it doesn't. With the gold paint markers and the chests, etc, I can't think of a great example off the top of my head, but skeuomorphic design is called to mind here. Down to the menus and the way things are arranged it's designed to have a "video game" aesthetic.

Bright markers are often used in games to signal where to go next (Fable series played with that even as a literal gold threadline), and here the markers are presented as expected in a video game, and rather than being overlaid, they are instead worked into the aesthetic of the game's world. The predestination of their route up the mountain, that they are depicted as free agents but follow an essentially fixed path dictated by the video game's design that the player can't veer from, was even neatly explained as them being led subconsciously by Faye, following signs and signal in the woods.

The meanings of which to a player are much clearer, since the player knows the symbols of video games and what they can mean. We can read the "runes" and interpret them by experience with the "culture" of terms and images that surround video games as an industry. Kratos not being able to read the runes reminded me of when you have someone without a lot of experience playing games ( a stranger in a strange land to be sure!), and the symbol usage of games is clear to the familiar user, but not to them. You might say "okay so go over there and loot that chest" "loot it?" "go over to it and click the 'X' button".

Chests contain loot because that's what chests contain in myths and fables, fairytales, adventure serials and most video games for a long time. The first depiction of a creature called a Mimic, in Dungeons and Dragons, appears disguised as a treasure chest for its example.

This game was so steeped in video game symbols. I also felt that with this and some of their other games, Sony has found their sweet spot in that cinematic presentation that they are put together over many years now. We don't want video games that are really just movies that we press buttons to move to the next action (maybe sometimes, but not as a standard), movies are movies and they have their own qualities and strengths. I thought that the use of what have become almost standard symbols like treasure chests and marked paths, etc, was akin to seeing a seltzer bottle on a table in an old Hollywood party scene.

My memory is that you didn't like the story, so maybe that's when the point came to have just picked up another game. I get that there's discussion to be had and criticism to give, but when your argument is that the game shouldn't exist in anything like its current form, that they should have made a different game altogether--well, the ship sailed on that discussion and it was many many months ago when a team went with a direction. When said game is getting lots of good reviews and lots of people seem to like it, I don't get what the goal is.

Peacoffee fucked around with this message at 02:36 on May 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Friendly Fire posted:

There is a tutorial for the hard lock on right at the start, I think it's the first fight against Draugr where there are more than one at a time. That said, I found it super frustrating and much easier to ignore lock on all together which made the game a lot easier in my opinion. Even the guide for GMGOW says to not use the lock on because learning the weapon distances properly, as well as aiming between enemies to hit more than one at a time are key skills needed to get better at the game. Lock on removes your ability to fine tune where your attacks land.

this...has made an immediate effect on my GMGOW file's progress this evening. I don't know why I didn't turn it off sooner once I got a handle on the controls. I feel stupid for the amount of time I spent dying in that elevator portion while ascending the mountain playing on my original playthrough

Peacoffee fucked around with this message at 03:14 on May 24, 2018