Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Does the game have hanzo steel or other melee weapons besides a puny woodcutters axe.

Also I watched a video of what seemed like the first boss and got Metal Gear Rising feels.

Might have to buy this drat game

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Apr 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

tote up a bags posted:

scores are now in and everyone seems to love the game, more or less perfect scores across the boa-

edit: mods rename me (hopefully biological) son

I can see this being true as the hype wears off and people start analyzing the gameplay for what it is.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I just got this game and tried playing on give me challenge. I cannot.

Seriously my hands started cramping after few hours because the fights are so chaotic. Plus enemies feel like dmg sponges. I just beat the stranger but after the game started throwing poison spitting ghosts and armored axe monsters at the same time my hands couldnt keep up anymore.

I think ill restart just to give me a fresh start.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Theres something about the axe throwing that makes my left wrist and fingers hurt. Or Im developing a carpal tunnel syndrome.

Gonna try playing on normal later

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

*In 100 different tones*

Boi

Serious edit: gonna play some GoW soon. My current save is just before the infamous collapsing bridge (also known as the "Booyy...").

I cleared this part before on Challenging but realized I wasnt having fun so I reverted to an earlier save to see if this part is better on Normal.

I understand this is a pretty long RPG length game so I realized Im not going to have fun if I have to restart every fight 3-5 times.

Im trying to approach it like regular action RPG.

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Nov 18, 2018

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Some thoughts while playing the game as god (of war) intended on Balanced. Just beat a Soul Eater miniboss in caves.

The lock on is really rear end or at least hard to use. Unlike in Souls (or Nioh), lock on doesnt switch targets after defeating an enemy which is annoying me a lot.

I keep forgetting Kratos has Runic attacks.

The levels are pretty, if a bit too formulaic. Chains above ledges are super common Midgard.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Just finished Alfheim section and I'm warming up to the game. Switching the difficulty to Balanced definitely helped so every new encounter doesnt end in death.

The camera and lockon are still imo really bad compared to beat em ups like DMC, Bayo or even Rising.

Still the responsive controls and the sheer amount of different options you have in combat makes it really fun to play.

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Nov 24, 2018

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Ill try disabling lock-on. Thanks for the tip.

Just got back from the summit. Freed another dragon which was a huge difficulty spike. I was probably underleveled but managed to beat them using my bare fists.

Something Ive noticed that fighting with the axe usually gets you killed against tough guys. Its a bit weird balance issue but unarmed combat is pretty fun so its not a big deal.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Had to turn lock on back on because I couldnt hit things especially when fighting flying stuff like those elves.

I beat my first Valkyrie, it was tense and had way too much health.

Got my 2nd weapon for Kratos its laughably weak compared to everything else without upgrades. Sorta ruined the dramatic moment when I had more success with my fists.

As cool as the combat is so far, the game really doesnt want to give you boss battles like the Stranger huh?

Also climbing sucks and in general everything that doesnt involve fighting on a flat arena is kind of a chore. Assassins Creed this is not.

So far the game is pretty good. Its really cool to play a proper action RPG that isnt Bloodborne for once.

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Nov 29, 2018

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

GoW has some real issues with these loving trolls.

I thought fighting "Bridge Keeper" was going to be a literal grim reaper.

Nope. Its a reskinned troll.

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Nov 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

At least I got a laugh from some of the promotional material

"Every troll is unique"

They are even using the same pillar as a weapon which makes no sense.

GoW is a good game buuttt I think the early reviews have way inflated scores.