Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I don't think anyone kept a straight face after hearing that hyperbole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I think it would be really cool if we got a SotC style remaster of the original GoW and especially GoW II.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I'm playing on the balanced difficulty and I died twice to the first boss so I can only imagine what the game is like on the highest difficulty. Probably has similar vibes to the Titan difficulty in GoW II.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The animation in this game is really good. Everything moves so goddamn well. In particular, (spoilers for the first boss) when Kratos puts The Stranger into a submission hold is the most brutal thing I've seen in a while.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

C-Euro posted:

Can you do the thing from the 2016 trailer and throw the axe at a guy to pin him against an object while you punch out a different enemy?

Yes.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Sneeing Emu posted:

Did I miss something in GoW 3 about how Kratos lost the Chaos Blades or is that just another mystery I'm sure we'll find out n this one?

The Blades of Exile though were thrown away in favor of beating the poo poo out of Zeus hand to hand. He didn't really have time to grab them after the ending, nor do I think that Athena would let him keep them after what happened.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

precision posted:

Oh check it out you can use triangle instead of right on the d pad to ready your axe. Handy

Pressing triangle summons the axe to your hand wherever it is. Including off your back. I love this game.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

precision posted:

huh, i just looked up Ascension because I don't remember a single thing about that game's plot, and was surprised to see it actually got very good reviews, were they all paid off or did everyone misjudge that game? I don't remember it being BAD exactly, just super mediocre?

Ascension was pretty good as a game but it didn't really add anything to the series and was definitely a step down from GoW III.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

lmao one of the treasure maps is to recover the captain's boat key from the original GoW.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The dialogue in this game is stellar. My favorite so far:

When Kratos finally tells Atreus that he is a god, and instead of the boy lashing out at him like he fears, Atreus excitedly wonders what his powers are, as if he found out he was a super hero.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I like that Atreus and Kratos have a dialogue justifying exploring around after every major story event that allows you to.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I strongly appreciate a studio that creates a game that can reasonably be called "a complete package" and not a game with a vague promise of support and a nagging wonder of what was stripped from the main game to make into DLC.

I'll of course have to take that back if there is any significant DLC.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Man I haven't found any Valkyries yet. Maybe I should explore more.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I must have missed it then since I'm WAY passed that, or I don't know what a Valkyrie is.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Nail Rat posted:

Spoilers about digging up the past....

Holy gently caress. You guys weren't kidding, the part where you get the blades back is very well done and the blades aren't a tack-on at all. It felt so good to have those moves back. Having Kratos fight those ice dudes from Helheim right before getting them back set the stage pretty well too.

Also when Kratos reached into that spot for the bundle, I remembered Atreus saying at the beginning "but you said never to go down there!" when Kratos had him hide from Baldur - really nice attention to detail by the writers.

It gets better: play the replay the game and and during that beginning scene you can see the Blades wrapped up under there when Kratos opens the trap door.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I didn't catch that particular error so I was still surprised by the reveal. The subtitles themselves are funny though, with liberal use of ALL CAPS and when certain characters talk to the World Serpent.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Chances of those two locked realms ever becoming unlocked in game?

0%. Fodder for the sequels.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

While looking at the spinning thing, bust up some wood to your left to reveal a climbable wall.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Monolith. posted:

When do my fast travel doors start becoming traversable?

I'd say about halfway into the game or so? It's part of the story.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

precision posted:

if there's one odd thing that's a bit of a let down, it's that i haven't really needed to Parry since like, hour 6. Everything i've been fighting since Alfheim has been either "beat down with the wrath of the TITANS BOY" or a Valkyrie.

I've been the opposite, where I parry all the time. I cannot claim to be good at the game though and I like its flashiness.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I think any response that begins with "I'm playing on GMGOW..." requires special consideration.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Bust Rodd posted:

I’m about to conclude my “Give Me A Challenge” run (Mimsy just told me to get all my gear ready) and I’m curious, am I expected to take out the Valkyrie now or do I wait until post-game to fight them?

There is a robust post game so you can wait, if you want.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I know a lot of people don't like Niflheim but I'm really digging it. I like what they did making Muspelheim a combat arena and Niflheim a randomized dungeon.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Palpek posted:

I thought the highest possible difficulty is supposed to be unfairly hard or people would actually be disappointed?

The old God of War games were notoriously unfair on their highest difficulties. Titan mode in GoW II was an unfun nightmare from the second the game started. I never thought people would play GMGOW for anything but the satisfaction of saying you did it. It doesn't sound fun or interesting to do that to yourself.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Flytrap posted:

Seventh, actually. A lot of people forget the PSP games, but they DID happen. The first one, Chains of Olympus, gets referenced several times in 3.

So does the second, when Poseidon declares vengeance for what Kratos did to Atlantis.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

geez, you really have to avoid taking any damage at all in the fifth muspelheim arena? the rest have been pretty easy (tho the 100 enemy gauntlet took a while) but I might have to redo that a few times

I thought this was going to be tough but you just have to play safe. Let the boy do most of the work and focus on ranged attacks. I did this after Niflheim though so I was level 8 while these baddies were level 5.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

From what I can tell enemies are level synced to a point, and I never felt like I needed to grind my level up any, even in the post game.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

They already pulled several princess//castle moments during the quest proper, so I kind of expect them to not pull that poo poo at the end during an emotional scene.

This game rules but there we one glaring moment that I almost literally facepalmed: Boy: "Finally, we made it to the highest mountain in all the realms!" Mimir: "Actually, the highest mountain is in Jotunheim." :smug:

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Bust Rodd posted:

I'll say this... For a God of War game, this game has a truly pathetic amount of boss fights

I bet they're trying to evoke the smaller scale of the original God of War which had just 3 boss fights: the Hydra in the tutorial, the Minotaur in the mid game, then Ares.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Wow, these tips show that even before you get any upgrades there's a lot more to the combat than the game really tells you about. I found the dodge offset by accident and I've used it a ton ever since.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I wonder just how long that spoiler would last. When the sequel starts to roll around there's no way it doesn't factor into the marketing heavily.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

MechaSeinfeld posted:

Woah gently caress that boss after all the arena challenges. Probably the hardest thing I've done in a game. I was only level 5 though so thats probably my fault.

lol at getting an upgrade for the blades of chaos I didn't know it was in the game yet.

I'm pretty sure the description for the Raging Inferno doesn't betray its purpose and you don't even get the option to turn it in until the post game.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I didn't finish that quest until post game myself so I guess my info is flawed. I'm replaying the game so this warrants some testing.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

GMGOW isn't fun and I don't think it will ever be no matter how good the combat system is. It just continues a very long tradition of unfairly tough difficulty levels. I still think about GoW II's Titan difficulty get upset.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

So I started playing this, and I was wondering if the game ever explains exactly what transpires between the end of the original God of War series and the beginning of this game? I watched some youtube video summarizing the plot of the original games, and it doesn't seem to give any info explained how Kratos ended up with this kid up in (presumably) Scandinavia. I'm guessing it gradually reveals this stuff in flashbacks or dialogue?

Everything you learn about the interim between III and this one is told second hand by Kratos in real time, and it isn't that much. There isn't really that much tell regardless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

glad she is dead posted:

As I'd only ever played Chains of Olympus on PSP I'm currently working my way through the series before playing the new one. Finished the first game, am about to start GOW2 and have GOW3 remaster queued up on my PS4.

Want to know if it's worth picking up Ascension or not? It's got its defenders but the critical reaction seems pretty muted.

Ascension is a solid title. It looks good (for the time) and I think it plays pretty good. The thing is it wasn't a game that really needed to exist. No one was clamoring for yet another prequel and it didn't really add anything to the series. It also had multiplayer that no one played. Entirely forgettable, but if you get it for like 10 bucks you could do worse.