Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Over There posted:

Are you guys prioritizing resolution or performance?

I have a console for 'graphics', always makes this an easy choice as it pops up more in games.

I just hit the lake and started exploring. Am i right in thinking that you basically have to come back a lot as you unlock new moves?

If anyone's got far enough, can you say if you get a teleport ability? Backtracking to some of these areas for collectibles is gonna be a ballache.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

That happens on the easiest setting too. I don't think you're supposed to do that bit yet.

edit: Is hacksilver infinite? I wanna buy all the armour pieces but they're quite pricey.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Jiro posted:

Does hacksilver replace the red orb currency?

More or less. It's basically money.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Over There posted:

Oh my god this every god drat time

Yeah, it's just not intuitive. What i'm wondering is are we in the minority (are our brains hosed) or is it just something that isn't considered during testing.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

First criticism: I miss the orbs system.

I hate crafting systems. It drove me nuts in Prey. Not everything has to be Skyrim.

Give me the shotgun then maybe give me a booster for it. Otherwise give me the shotgun, then the machine gun, then the BFG.

I'm spending way too much time in a menu screen for a hack and slash game.

I pretty much agree.

While i've cranked the difficulty down to easy because the combat was getting a bit too frustrating for it to be fun, i'm not really finding any value in the multitude of tweakable setups for marginal gain.

It all really just makes the collecting poo poo a chore because of how much trash you can end up finding despite there being a limited number of things to collect.

I'm hoping there's some kind of payoff but at the minute i find myself just hoarding all of my money because i've no idea if there's a better item round the corner or if i should just waste it on upgrading a piece of poo poo.

edit: I'd rather i just came across plot gear that made me stronger to be honest or one set of armor i just keep upgrading for me and the boy based on the enemies i'm killing.

Kin fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Apr 21, 2018

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

JBP posted:

It says "crafting" but it's literally a purchasing system with a bottleneck component (like svartelheim steel) to make sure you're solving chest riddles to earn stuff. It's not like your farming mats. Solve the chest puzzles because they're fun and then buy everything in the shop because a new tier of steel is probably around the corner. Your xp and hacksilver income skyrockets as you go, so just spend it. Also sell the poo poo you find that's marked useless.

I guess it's more that all of those items i'm unlocking feel like they're marginally different which makes it over complicated on what to equip.

At present i've just gone with everything that raises strength because i can't be hosed doing any kind of min/maxing and i've barely touched the runes or enchantments or whatever because i've got loving loads of them and i really can't be arsed swapping things in and out all the time.

For example, i just found out that when you fill a slot on a piece of gear then swap out the piece of gear the thing you put in the slot isn't auto transferred over. So you've gotta manually swap that poo poo about. It's tedious.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

precision posted:

Is loot random now? I'm only in Alfheim and already have 7 of the 9 apples. Yet I've only found 2 of the mead horns.

There's a finite amount of 'loot' as in specific items like the ones you mentioned, but things like exp and money are (from what i can tell) a bit random.

I think there's a finite number of enemies in the game too because nothing respawns unless it's scripted to. In theory this means there isn't going to be a place to farm exp/money but also that there shouldn't need to be and you can upgrade/buy everything.

It's pretty unclear to be honest and makes it hard to tell whether i should sink money/exp into one thing or another.

I've only just blown the horn and it feels like i've been playing for ages but that there's still multiple worlds to explore so maybe by the end of the game you're swimming in so much money/exp that it really doesn't matter.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

If you're having trouble with ringinh the bells for RUNE CHESTS

THROW AXE BEHIND BELL ONE

CASUALLY LINE UP NEXT SHOT

CALL AXE BACK TO YOU TO START

I swear, this is the easiest puzzle in the history of video games and every page someone complains about it.

Except for the multitude of these where you can't do that.

edit: has anyone actually finished the game yet? If so, how long did it take you?

After i blew the horn i kinda went on a scavanging tour which has taken ages.

Though i think i'm gonna just hold off on any more adhoc exploration now until i unlock all of the abilities. Coming back to some of these places for the third time is gonna get grating.

Kin fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Apr 22, 2018

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Hmm, so am I right in thinking that the different runes you can get are randomised? Or is there a finite number of them as I've not had any duplicates yet.

On to of that, I'm guessing the area battles are supposed to be the means to grind the cash/exp/battle challenges you need to upgrade everything?

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Anyone got tips for the mist armour? Or a way to cheese it?

I want to get it but it's bordering on chore level vs fun.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Any tips for what runes/attacks to equip while fighting the final, valkerie boss?

Even with upgraded mist armour I can only get her to about half health before she punks me with her relentless unblockable attacks.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Nifft posted:

How much harder is give me a challenge? Normal seems a bit too easy or does it ramp up? I just finished Alfheim.

I'd be impressed to see the gameplay of the person beating the final valkerie boss on anything above normal.

Even on easy, with the best gear upgraded to max, it was a brutally close and difficult fight.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

So after doing the mist rewards I think I might actually go ahead and platinum this.

The ravens might not even feel as tedious after the mist stuff.

The loot stuff is still the weakest part of the game though. So much needles grinding for items that aren't even that good.

I know I'm playing on easy, but at the end of the game I don't think there's any real variety in combat gameplay achieved by having different stats.

Like I spam the boy to inflict stun, but I still use the summons, throw the axe and switch from weapon to weapon. I also use the runic powers too and I'm tailoring my approach based on enemy rather than my stats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah the loot just pretty much feels like an attempt to make collectibles feel less vapid. I find getting to the loot enjoyable more often than not which is what is actually important though. I'd rather have fun getting to a loot chest that is full of trash, than be bored getting to some great item.

I dunno, i've just tried going back for the ravens and gave up after the first 1 because it felt so pointless. Then looking at my list of things, it's littered with treasure chest gaps that serve no enjoyable gameplay altering benefit to hunt out other than OCD.

It makes me think that the game is always going to be a one and done for me because the effort of starting from scratch for all of this just seems so dauntingly tedious.