Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I'm still amazed that they renamed Kratos to Chest Beardman, but I guess that's the sort of license you have to take when you're rebooting a classic series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acksplode
May 17, 2004

That world serpent scene was spectacular, even having already seen it in a trailer. The single tracking shot really pays off with the set pieces. Seamlessly transitioning from gameplay to stuff of that scale while keeping Kratos' perspective helps make it feel so much larger and more fantastic than it did in past games.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Republicans posted:

You can adjust the difficulty mid-game for all modes but "Give me God of War" right?

Yup. I started with Challenge but then died 4 times in a row at the very first encounter and changed that right back down to Balanced, which has been true to its name.

Over There posted:

Are you guys prioritizing resolution or performance?

Resolution, since performance doesn't have a stable framerate.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

It's a big pretty AAA release so I assumed the default difficulty would be tuned a little too easy.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

DLC Inc posted:

how's the framerate performance, is it a mainly stable and smooth 30fps?

Digital Foundry says resolution mode is 30fps with a few dips, and that performance mode is all over the place.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

The environment design is also out of this world. Anybody who only thought the new God of War was just gonna be snowy woods forever, you're in for a treat.

That part where you have to carry the boar was just gorgeous. I'm seriously dumbfounded at how they get this much closeup detail and then also have huge stuff like a lake-size serpent. I'm gonna read all the development postmortems.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

The first time I groaned and the second time I almost laughed. Looking forward to #3. The writing has generally been good but they're kinda overdoing it here.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Lid posted:

I think its a twisted take on him

he says he cant feel ANYTHING which includes pain but isnt limited to it, i think the point is hes demented by a complete inability to feel anything so ratger than kind hes overwhelmed by being unable to feel at all

He's basically Gray Fox from MGS1

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Whichever way your kid is trying to lead you is the story path. Failson dipshit doesn't know about upgrades

acksplode
May 17, 2004

That's a tough sidequest, I had to cheese my way through the room that's mostly poison area by keeping my distance and chucking my axe at enemies. The dwarf warns you ahead of time that it's a challenging quest, so don't feel bad about coming back later with better stuff. I think that's what purple lifebars generally mean.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Yeah the combat is amazing, it's like it was created for me. I hope it gets mercilessly ripped off and the next wave of character action games have the same tight camera

acksplode
May 17, 2004

GreatGreen posted:

I can’t figure out the world serpent’s voice.

Like what the hell did the sound people do, from start to finish, to make that noise come out of my speakers. It is easily the most insane voice I’ve ever heard in any medium ever. Goddamn.

I have a pretty decent 5.1 setup with large speakers and subwoofer and the world serpent was inside my apartment. When I play through again on hard I'm gonna get a save right before scene that just to show it to people.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Rad Valtar posted:

So I was wondering if there was a way to tell what attack’s you can parry? Does it have to do with the color of the ring when an attack is coming at you because I noticed a yellowish one and a red one.

You can parry any attack except the ones with a red circle. No circle = block or parry, yellow circle = you can parry but blocking will leave you vulnerable, red circle = you better move

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Kawabata posted:

I finished the game on Give Me God of War and playing it at sub 30 would've literally been an artificially higher difficulty level on top of that. I don't care about the "gamer" bullshit and different people will have different tastes but if this game is ever challenging to anyone do yourself a favor and play it the way it was meant to be played: Performance Mode.

Otherwise enjoy this generation's best graphics, it's cool too.

Performance mode's varying framerate that doesn't match up evenly with my display's refresh rate produces an inconsistent period between frames that gets worse the more stuff there is to react to onscreen. This throws off my highly developed gamer reflexes, which are apparently more refined than yours. A true gamer values a stable framerate, just as a true warrior values a stable battleground beneath his feet. The game is meant by its Creators to be played in resolution mode, which is why it's the first option on the menu, but I'm glad that performance mode is there to make you feel capable :)

acksplode
May 17, 2004

precision posted:

I guess what I'm saying is that people who claim 30fps is actually harder to play are missing the data which is that if you're used to 30fps your brain has already figured that poo poo out for you
It's true that a higher framerate game means lower input latency, since the game is more frequently updating the image in response to your actions, and that takes place entirely outside your head. But lol God of War is not that kind of game, and it never runs at 60fps. The parry window on blocks and iframe window on dodges are both hilariously long, this ain't Street Fighter.

Kawabata posted:

yes every "gamer" plays at sub 30 fps to test his reflexes
I envy your coarse insensitivity to an unstable framerate.....ignorance truly is bliss....

acksplode
May 17, 2004

esperterra posted:

The witch time talisman is a blaaast with this system.

I went :aaa: when I found that, it's so good and such a nice reference

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

I understand the difference you’re referring to, I just don’t think this game plays appreciably different from DMC/Bayonetta because those are melee combat games that focus on using ranged attacks to extend or chain combines together.

Disagree, the camera changes everything, even if the actions you can perform are similar. Like, technically RE4 has the same exact tank controls as its predecessors, but hooking the camera to the protag's shoulder made them so much more intuitive. GoW's camera at the very least makes where you're looking a factor in combat, which totally changes how it feels.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

GreatGreen posted:

This is something I don't get either. A lot of times the game will slow down right after I parry or block, but nothing seems to happen when I press buttons, even though immediately after I usually get hit hard. What am I not doing. I very much doubt the game is taking the time to slow down just to tell me it's about to hit me and there's nothing I can do about it.

You might be seeing the animation for "you blocked a yellow-circle attack and now you're stunned" and mistaking it for a parry. Parrying should also slow down time to emphasize how cool you're being, but then stun whoever attacked you and leave you free to wail on em.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Heres my thread title idea "Press my boy button daddy" sorry that its kind of gross.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

It’s honestly not very cool. It barely slows time down and only works when your aiming the axe which doesn’t matter because aim assist is so generous.

If there’s some sort of dodge related time slow effect I’d be all over it but I haven’t found anything like that.

The rune I have slows time after perfect dodges, it works exactly like witch time and has nothing to do with aiming. It even adds a purplish hue to the screen, all that's missing is a superimposed ticking clock. I think I got it somewhere in Alfheim.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I had to take a couple minutes to gawk at the shimmery effect on the mountaintop at its peak. GoW is such a visual feast it's obscene, it never stops

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Finished the main story last night, GoW deserved every bit of hype it got. I'm gonna put it down and play other stuff until I have an appetite for valkyries and mist dungeons and hopefully NG+ gets patched in, but I'm definitely coming back to it at some point. The combat is so good

acksplode
May 17, 2004

shut up blegum posted:

Oh by the way, is anyone else having some issues with rest mode and GoW? It's the only game that kinda freezes and starts to shudder if I turn it back on from rest mode. I'm on a non pro.

Yeah, when I wake the game up from rest, or sometimes when I just bring up the dashboard and then come back, it gets stuttery for a few seconds.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

The blades are cool and I'm glad they were included, but they don't feel as fully developed as the axe. They aren't as satisfying, don't have the axe's finely tuned sense of weight and impact. I mostly ignore em if I'm not getting mobbed by ice guys.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Niflheim, Muspelheim, Alfheim....folks, is this a mythology or a head cold. Cmon

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Looked like Kratos getting killed by someone

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I had no idea that a dodge maintains your combo string.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

The combat designer guy even calls it "dodge offset" in that writeup. I love that they're students of Platinum.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Default controls probably make it easier to keep arrows flying during combat since your thumb won't be occupied with attacking.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

The Horizon and GoW sequels are also releasing on PS4 fyi. It might be rough going to that from a PC but it's an option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acksplode
May 17, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

Early on especially I used the axe more for crowd control and fists + shield for DPS, since you can very quickly build up stun meter that way. The axe gets better later on when you can cycle through runic attacks.

Yeah in my current replay I have a lot more appreciation for stunning enemies with fists + arrows vs whittling health down with the axe.