Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

One thing I’m not clear on, if I hit a side area can I always do it right then and there? Or is there a Metroid type deal where I have to come back later to complete some stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

My one complaint about this game so far is that there are all these branching paths, and I don’t know which one is the way to progression and I end up thinking I’m exploring a side path, and it’s actually the main story. Then I am locked out from the doing the optional stuff I was working on.

I’m sure the game will let me go back and do it but it’s sort of frustrating when I get blocked like that and I don’t know if I’ll be motivated to backtrack and I wanted to do it now.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

This whole area with the dragon is dark souls as gently caress haha.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

How do I release the dragon in Viethguard? I killed the boss and unlocked everything on the island?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I think I poop socked this for easily 5+ hours today. It's pretty awesome, although a little messy. It's kind of trying to do everything. It really wears it's Naughty Dog and Dark Souls influences on it's sleeve. I just ditched the main quest to go do random poo poo once it was available and it kind of felt like a weird Frankenstien of every popular game mechanic of the last 5 years. It's drat fun though. I do like it a lot, but I also find myself going "ok, this is from this game, and this is from this game..." as opposed to thinking it's doing anything noteworthy.

The axe is really cool and probably the most individualistic thing about it. Otherwise it kind of feels like a "best of" playlist of 2010's games. It's not a bad thing, but it's super blatant where they looked for inspiration. And God of War was not particularly high up on the priority list.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Apr 21, 2018

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The Witch? Yeah that was amazing looking inside and out.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is the lake the only hub area or do more open up later?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

At the risk of sounding like an edgelord, I wish this game was gorier. GOW 3 went way too far with it, but the glowing neon monster blood in this one isn't really doing it for me. Just makes me feel like I'm fighting robots or something and the rare vs human fights seem to intentionally have the violence toned way down.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Apr 21, 2018

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I guess it's not that I wish it was gorier. I just think it would be cooler if these undead dudes were spraying black tar blood all over the place instead of Splatoon ink

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Klisejo posted:

If anyone wants to cheese an infinite money loop, here's an easy spot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghN74d4nzHQ

I'd lose my mind after 5 minutes of this.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I feel like a dumbass but I can rarely find all 3 tunes for the runic magic chests. I’ve just gave up on half of them

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Over There posted:

Where is this flame troll? I can't tell if I'm at the same area as you guys or not.

He’s at the end of a side area that starts with a V but I can’t remember what it’s called. There’s a chained up dragon there

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

esperterra posted:

Combat feels great to me, but the camera movement feels pretty stiff for how much you're doing.

And I swear quick turn doesn't face me backwards half the time and instead he turns to the side.

It feels like quick turn only works for me when I'm not in combat. it's very strange

Kawabata posted:

revenants are pure loving cancer

Yeah I hate them

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Im confused on how to progress. I'm in Alfheim and every direction involves the blue gems that make bridges, but the boy just says "too bad the witches bow string doesn't work anymore"

There is some conspicuous blue brazier that looks like it might recharge it, and that's my best guess but the boy won't interact with it. No idea what to do next here.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I absolutely hate the runic chests . Haaaaaaaate

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

They’d be fine if they applied auto aim a bit. The aiming feels so clunky. Either that or don’t make the timing so drat unforgiving.

I just spent a straight 15 minutes on one in alfheim and I never want to do another one again.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

JBP posted:

Centre of screen, L2 then R1? It doesn't seem hard and there is some grace on arrows. I just centre and mash square.

You can use arrows on rune chests?

esperterra posted:

The one with the, uh, elevator layers? Yeah that one took me a hot minute b/c it was awkward. At least it wasn't a timed one.

Much later. You have to line them up. Two are outside of windows and the last is right by the chest. The timing is insanely unforgiving. If you overshoot and have to adjust you aim at all it resets. Took me like 50 tries.

Now I'm in the elf sanctuary. This game has some surprisingly hard puzzly poo poo.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

JBP posted:

No I assumed light bridges. Still I never found it hard to hit the runes and if you have to try a second throw ah well.

None of the ones I’m referring to would give you even close to enough time for a second throw.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

There's gotta be some trickery going on with these 7 realms or this game is enormous in length. I've only done Alfheim and I'm probably 10+ hours in. Although I have done pretty much all the side stuff I can find.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yes there are side quests all over before alfheim. One of them is huge and took me like 2 hours.

You'll be able to do them later though.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

precision posted:

Where the blue hell was that??? I sailed everywhere and the only thing I found was the island spirits

Beyond the big gate in the water (theres 2 statues next to it) there is a second lake and there is some pretty substantial side content there.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Noirex posted:

I admit to dismissing this at first because the previous ones gave me the impression that it's mostly a fighting game with orgies and little story,.

In all fairness that's pretty much what it was.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Story Wise this just does not feel like Kratos. I know people change and it's been a untold amount of years but he's just so mellow that it's hard for me to think he's the same dude from GoW 1-3 (for better or worse). Woman comes running out of the woods yelling about how YOU MUST SAVE MY PIG FRIEND and having Kratos go "yeah okay" no questions asked is just "???" I also find the BOY just... baffling I guess?
Like Kratos and BOY are climbing a mountain to spread his wifes ashes but we aren't told anything about him or his mom. At first I was fine with this but as the game progresses on BOY keeps mentioning "Oh yeah mom taught me this, mom brought me here, mom did x" which makes me wonder what the hell Kratos was doing during all this. Like it's implied he lived with them in the intro so him being clueless as to his wife and sons relationship just comes off as a hokey way to justify BOY getting to read runes and the like.
Kratos has spent years living here and he doesn't know ANYTHING about the world he's in? Really?

It's almost like you haven't gotten the full story after 2 hours in a 30-50 hour game and some of these questions are addressed over the course of the next 48 hours.

Combat-wise I dunno what to tell you, it's good.

Edit: although I do agree with you that some of the stuff Kratos does is so out of character that it doesn't really feel like the same guy sometimes.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Apr 22, 2018

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Game starts and asks me to care about Kratos's son, then makes no effort to explain what their relationship even was so why should I care?

It can get answered down the road but right now this doesn't even feel like his kid, it's literally just some excited child following me

It gets addressed shortly into the story that Kratos was largely absent in his sons life up until the mother died because he was always out questing around or whatever

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

TLOU is one of my top games of all time but I honestly think this game does a significantly better and more convincing job of having your kid go from wimp to badass.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Just killed the dragon. Holy gently caress this game is epic. What an awesome boss fight.

It just seems to get better and better and it started out really good.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

So does the kid lose the ability to light up blue crystals when he gets the ability to get rid of the red crap? Or am I missing something?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Mandrel posted:

Press up on the D pad to switch his arrow type

Slick. Thanks

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

After the Witch reveals who she is, she mentions something to Kratos and he gets kind of angry and says “you did not think it important to tell me” and she says something like “who are you to lecture me about that”

I missed what she said. Anyone know?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I love the world serpents voice so much.

Friendly Fire posted:

That's pretty much exactly what she says iirc.

Cool. Wasn’t sure if there was something else I missed

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I'm actually a moron, any help with this light puzzle would be appreciated. There's a couple dozen of those tendril things I need to axe throw and I'm not entirely sure what the game wants me to do. It was funny hearing Kratos go "no no I got it" but uh, past the point of being funny now. What am I missing like a idiot?

Your probably gonna need to be more specific.

The answer to all of those is pretty much to find the right angle and throw. If it seems undoable you may have to push on and see if you find an alternate path with a better angle.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Fire can suck my dick.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The dead giant is maybe the coolest set piece I've ever seen in a game. I was expecting copy/paste of that dead 15 foot tall giant on the beach near the beginning :v: Boy was I wrong.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

DLC Inc posted:

I'm curious how many people are on Normal and how many play it on Hard. I realize Hard will probably be more manageable later on but I just got to Alfheim and feel like I should take the difficulty down to Normal for the first time as a reward for grinding my blood and bones through some truly hellish scenarios where I thought "I'm never going to win this fight."

Playing on "GOW" difficulty going in blind sounds like a true mindfuck, idk how I'd be able to do it

I bumped it down way before you did. I figure there is almost a 100% chance I'll play again and I can gently caress with hard or GMGOW later. Normal seems good. It's not that hard but doesn't just give you the win either, and there is really tough side poo poo all over that would probably have me hating the game right now if I stuck with hard. Normal seems perfect for the average joe.

I do wish the harder modes didn't involve making the enemies such damage sponges.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Apr 23, 2018

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Can someone give me a clearer, spoiler free idea of the progression in this game? I think I played for easily 15+ hours this weekend and the game suggests there are seven realms, and although I did all the side stuff I could find which took up quite a bit of time, I've still only been to Alfheim and the main story keeps taking place near the main lake. Is there actually 7 realms in the game or is that a red herring? It just seems weird to me because Alfheim took a good 3 hours or something to do everything. I can't imagine I'm only 1/7th of the way through.

I'm at the dead giant fwiw

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Nail Rat posted:

Well that helps, so far me in combat has been tapping x rapidly to jump left and right until I go forward and awkwardly swing at someone, unless it's an enemy slow-moving enough I can spam axe throws.

Honestly the lock on kind of sucks anyways. it seems like clicking R3 to unlock only works sometimes. I've mostly been not even bothering despite being an avid locker on in Dark Souls.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I was wondering that too. It's a real pain in the rear end. I'm guessing the doors maybe only become 2 ways in post game so you can clean up side content easier?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

GreatGreen posted:

I love the combat system. Love it.

Yes it’s not as razor sharp as a Souls game but it is sharp enough to feel fair and brutal as all hell. The three combat modes (if you count Spartan Rage) are all fantastic and equally fun to switch between. I don’t think slinging my axe around the battlefield at orbital re-entry speeds while I kick rear end with my fists and a shield will ever get old. Every single hit feels absolutely crushing.

I can’t remember the last time a game’s combat system made me grin like an idiot so much.

Agree 100% It's the most enjoyable melee combat I've played since Souls came around.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I've never heard such a successful attempt at making something sound absolutely gigantic.

I'd listen to an audiobook read by the world serpent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

acksplode posted:

You can parry any attack except the ones with a red circle. No circle = block or parry, yellow circle = you can parry but blocking will leave you vulnerable, red circle = you better move

Am I the only one who mixes up the red circle and execution prompt sometimes? It's resulted in me getting owned a few times.