Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Props for using the Slayer tag, un-props for no dad joke subtitle.

I wasn't that interested in this until it started getting stellar reviews from literally everyone. And yeah, Norse mythology is cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Amazon briefly ran out of physical copies a few days ago. The demand is there.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The only recent Viking games I can think of are Hellblade and the latest wave of Skyrim overhauls.

e: Aw man, now I'm thinking about Too Human for the first time in years

haveblue fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Apr 19, 2018

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Muspelheim trial 3 part 1 is some bullshit huh

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Rad Valtar posted:

Someone posted about locking down enemies with the axe, does that come later because when I throw it at enemies it just goes through them.

You have to hit them in the head with a heavy throw.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
All of the valkyries are "tough but fair" except Sigrun, that fight is terrible.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

TopHatGenius posted:

so how often is boy said?

Just once, but in a really funny way

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Boars seem to stun her reliably if you can get boy to cast it in a place where she doesn't stagger out of it after you hit her a few times. It would also interrupt attacks that don't seem to be interruptible by anything else, like the aerial charge.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
War Boys

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, the game takes a bit too long to fully unpack all your combat options. At the beginning all you can do is swing or throw your axe, block, and evade, but before too long you'll have a couple more combos and moves unlocked, 2 or 3 magical attacks, and supporting fire from boy and then encounters start to play out very differently. You're also not far from the point where the world opens up and you have a choice of optional areas to explore.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Paul Zuvella posted:

Loving this game so far, was wondering if someone can give me a rough estimate to how far I am through the game.

Just reanimated Mimir's head and talked to the world serpant.

trying to plan out when I go on my big exciting side quest adventures.

You have a long, long way to go.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Be warned that platting it will tarnish your memories a bit because that involves chasing down a ton of hidden collectibles

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I was disappointed that it was not true that the axe is useless in Helheim and only the blades would work, which was the whole reason Kratos forced himself to dig them out in the first place.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah that fight is an awful marathon. Learn the counters to each of her individual moves and hope she doesn't use them in a combination that makes a hit unavoidable. Equip some way to recover health in the middle of the fight- boy's squirrel power or free health armor or the health burst on parry talisman (she has a move or two that are very, very easy to parry). After that, just don't screw up for an unbelievably long time.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Ice Fist posted:

I know that Sigrun is called bullshit a lot by this thread, but I actually really enjoyed her as a challenge. She's the perfect storm of a boss. She has all of the moves of all the Valkyries before her (except for the ability to summon adds I think [THANK gently caress]) and can use them basically in any combination, plus significantly more health.

It's a good idea for a final boss but she has 2-3x as much health as she should. It's fun to be able to counter every move but not to have to do it 200 times in a row.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Go back home when you’re done with all that and ready to put down the game.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Manatee Cannon posted:

ever been so upset with someone that you turned them into the sun?

Turning someone into a constellation was one of Zeus's standard moves.

Most of my initial exposure to Viking mythology as a child came from the D'aulaire book. We had their Greek mythology volume too.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

SubponticatePoster posted:

When he's on the ground and you get the chance to pummel him, I purposely didn't because Kratos is trying not to be an rear end in a top hat. You don't get anything special for it, it just cuts to the next part after a while :(

Yeah, in the final fight I spent a while just dodging around looking for any possible action other than fighting him, but then he threw a punch at boy which was not acceptable.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

shut up blegum posted:

OK cool. I guess you can't miss stuff if you drop it? From the looks of it, there are enough lifts etc on all the islands.

Yeah, there is nothing missable in the game. All the areas from the first drop remain accessible one way or another.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Osmosisch posted:

It also bugs me to be honest that he doesn't allow Freya the agency to choose her own way to deal with her own son. Probably ideal solution would have been to ask her 'now what' as he's restraining Baldur.

It's pretty clear from the rest of their story that she would say "release him" and he'd go right back to strangling her.

I mean, yeah, on a forum with all the time and lack of passion in the world we can come up with some kind of solution where no one dies but that's still like asking why the eagles didn't fly the ring to Mount Doom.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
If you get hit and it gets eaten by a passive ability for zero damage, that fails the challenge. If you get hit in an iframe that does not fail the challenge.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
There is nothing missable which is quite an accomplishment considering the transformations the map goes through.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
There are hints about that early on, when they mention that the only reason Baldur showed up to start poo poo was that Kratos unwittingly broke the magic circle of protection around his house while cutting down trees for the pyre, and he did that because his wife told him exactly which trees to cut down as part of her last request.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Ice Fist posted:

This wasn't Ivaldi. This was Thamur the big dead giant that is apart of the story where you find the chisel. Thamur was a giant, Ivaldi was a drawf. Both Thamur and his son, Hrimthur, were both masons and were both killed by Thor. Mimir has a bit about Hrimthur where Hrimthur told Odin he could build a huge wall for the Aesir and if he completed it in time there would be no cost except for a meeting with Freya. He got to meet with Freya and whispered something in her ear. Then when he went home he got ambushed by Thor because Odin didn't like that he lost a bet to a giant.

This is slightly modified for the game's mythology. In the original Norse story he doesn't finish the wall or get a meeting with Freya because Loki seduces his horse. Thor still kills him, though.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Really, that should be a rule for all of Games if not all the media consumption forums sitewide.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Is Jotunheim endgame? It gave me an endgamey style warning

Yes, but after you complete the finale sequence you can continue exploring.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Game is a 11 out of 10 in all categories.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLg9a08b3WU

I love just how much sheer effort Youtube has been putting into spoiling this game since even before it launched

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Steve2911 posted:

Jesus, this is an option?!

Yeah, the second tier of challenges only requires you to do 3 out of the 6 to unlock the final fight.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

shut up blegum posted:

This game is so great. I want to play it all the time, and when I'm not playing it, I want to read or watch stuff about it. But there are so many spoilers out there...
I'm getting pretty close to the end I guess, I just flipped the temple . Luckily I found some new side quests to keep me busy for now.
Also, I haven't really explored that light world and Hellheim. Is there lots of stuff there? Or only the things you have to do to progress the story?

You are quite close to the end. Mimir will make it clear when you're about to get temporarily railroaded for the endgame sequence.

Those two worlds just have a few collectibles outside of their storyline elements; Muspelheim and Niflheim are the optional challenges.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I just hate getting offscreened, and it took much longer than I'd like to get used to avoiding it based only on the threat circle and WATCH OUT FATHER

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

shut up blegum posted:

Mimir just told me to check my gear, that means I'm about to enter the final mission right? :smith:

Yes, if you do that objective you won't be able to return to exploring/sidequests until you finish the campaign. After that you can return to doing whatever.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

esperterra posted:

Actually you can continue your journey after the checking gear thing, it just leads into a boss fight. After that you can dick around if you want but the next objective will be the end of the game so you may as well just finish it and do the rest of your side stuff in the post game.

When do you get to do that? If you call Jormugandr at that point, you have to enter his mouth. And then you're locked into the final Baldur fight, and then you're forced to return to the Temple of Tyr, and then you're forced to go to Jotunheim. Which of that am I wrong about?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

esperterra posted:

I seem to recall being able to do w/e I want between killing Baldur and going to Jotunheim but I could be misremembering how open that segment is since I just went to the end of the game right away, myself. But it didn't seem like it was forcing you to go anywhere?

idk I haven't played it since I beat it launch week lmao

I thought I remembered something about the fast travel network being rigged so that going back to the hub was the only possible choice but I could be wrong about that. Maybe someone who loves the game so much that they're on 1.95 playthroughs right now can try this and report back.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Morand posted:

God this is so true but killing her is just SO GODDAMN SATISFYING. I was so hyped afterwards.

The only thing I was thinking was "thank god I never have to do that again".

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

BlackFrost posted:

This hosed me up a whole bunch too until I accidentally discovered you can have Atreus shoot her down while she's winding up.

Yeah, I think that's the official/only counter to that move (the axe probably has too much travel time, especially if you're far away). Sigrun has a different move where she smacks her wings together in midair and blinds you, I never found the counter for that.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
You technically don't need to do either of those things, the blinding bombs have a limited range.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Steve2911 posted:

They never explained why Kratos had to relearn all his blades of chaos moves. 0/10

He refused to use them for hundreds of years, he's a bit rusty.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Steve2911 posted:

Again though, the game goes out of its way to differentiate between locked realms and realms that won't be featured. The solution would either to have the towers not appear in the temple at all (which would make no sense), or for them to be arbitrarily unselectable.

I seriously don't understand why this is a problem. Or why people expected them to cram in all nine realms (including loving Asgard) in the first game.

It's mostly the weird wording on the message you get, it implies the condition is temporary but also not something you can affect from within the game. We've been conditioned to associate that sort of thing with DLC hooks.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The exact text on the realm picker is:

quote:

REALM UNAVAILABLE

Odin has prevented access to this realm. The travel rune will never work.

Which to me and apparently many others screams "this is only unavailable until you install more content".

Harrow posted:

I mean, it has to set the stage for the whole mythology, doesn't it? Several events related to Ragnarok do take place in the game. Kratos and Atreus kill two people who were supposed to survive Ragnarok, for example, and the death of Baldur is, in the mythology, one of the first signs that Ragnarok is coming (as is Jormungandr awakening). Plus, all of the gods in Norse myth are aware of the coming of Ragnarok and the signs of it approaching--for it not to be mentioned would be extremely strange.

I think you're just so used to DLC culture that some fairly standard "first chapter in a multi-part story" stuff is reading as inevitable DLC teases to you rather than setting the stage for a larger-scope story.

This is also why it begins snowing and never stops once you enter postgame

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Harrow posted:

I didn't really want to play Mankind Divided but I still sorta wish we could find out where they were going with this. Also I had no idea that Jensen was missing the whole bottom half of his biological body, including his pelvis.

In the first reboot game it’s explained that Adam’s augmentations went far beyond what was medically necessary after his accident. Sarif overrode the doctors and turned him into a head-to-toe testbed.