Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
so we're all just gonna pretend Ascension didn't exist, right

good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The slow walking is almost certainly covering up loading times because of the "whole game in one cut" thing

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Le Saboteur posted:

I thought it was cool that I'm pretty sure he was played by Jeremy Davies from Lost.

Who played Jesus on American Gods. (Well, he played one of the Jesuses. Jesi? Jesu?)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

esperterra posted:

I just bought this on a whim, usually don't grab stuff launch day but 4/20 is a day to treat myself.

Looks fun.

i just started it, about 30 minutes in and it's fuckin' great already, good game to blaze for sure

there's some bugs with the kid tho because a minute ago he was standing on a bridge waiting for my old slow rear end to finish collecting garbage so we could continue, then i turned and suddenly he was running up from behind me, totally opposite from where the bridge was, lmao

teleporting ghost lad

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
OK for real try this out because it makes the game control way better

all the available options for Quick Turn kinda sucked for me, but then i realized that since i usually swap L3 and R3 in games where you click L3 to sprint, i turned that on and then set Quick Turn to be "hold back and L3" (which, now, is "hold back and press R3")

this makes a WORLD of difference in chaotic combat situations! not only does it make sprinting easier, it makes Quick Turning incredibly easy. the default being down on the d-pad is so horrid.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Le Saboteur posted:

Can you eventually go back and finish up the artifact gathering in areas where you missed a couple?

yeah i missed one stupid toy in the first area somehow unless you're meant to have to go back because i also saw a chest i don't think i could get to

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
moree games should have puzzles you solve by throwing an axe at them

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Le Saboteur posted:

The next God of War should just be an American Gods adaptation.

I felt bad about killing Jesus.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

RatHat posted:

drat this game is tough, and I’m only on normal.

it really is

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

esperterra posted:

Also WHAT'S THAT RUNE SAY BOIIII

i fuckin' love Atreus and his journal. best kid. ellie has serious competition now.

the game eventually leaves this behind but the first 3-4 hours reminded me VERY MUCH of Hellblade, not just the setting but even the enemies, attacks, presentation, everything. I know it wasn't done on purpose just saying it really did remind me of it.

also holy poo poo this game gets brutally hard. i was not expecting it to be anywhere near this hard. i'm glad i'm playing on Normal, especially since i suspect this will be a "replay 5 or 10 times" sort of game like TLoU and the Uncharteds

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i feel really bad for anyone who doesn't have a giant rear end TV and/or doesn't sit close to it because the text in this game is hilariously tiny

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Oh check it out you can use triangle instead of right on the d pad to ready your axe. Handy

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I switched to Classic combat controls and man it is way better. Square and triangle are your light and heavy and R1 is call axe and you press R2 to Boy. I find it a lot more natural feeling.

Also holy crap I just met baba yaga???

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
"Hey look something over here!"
"SHUT UP BOY I'M COLLECTING GARBAGE"

I like that Atreus, like Ellie, lets you know which way is the Continue The Game path so you can explore side stuff at your leisure.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Over There posted:

He pointed out one of the runes for the chest I couldn't find, which was nice.

Yeah, he's cool. I hope he kills a god at some point.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Just a yes/no for those who have already beaten it:

Does the game ever actually explain the basic premise? I mean does it ever explicitly tell you who BOY's mom was, how Kratos knew her, why Kratos is in Nordicland, etc?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
yeah the puzzle design so far is really good, reminds me of Zelda in all the best ways

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
early on it definitely seems like the most useful thing to do with the axe is use it to lock an enemy down while you wail on another one and then line it up just right so when you call the axe back it cuts through like 5 dudes, killing them all

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Dr. Abysmal posted:

About an hour in I got into an anime fist fight with Conor McGregor so it's got my attention at least.

That was Jeremy Davies, aka Farrady from LOST, aka The Drunk Jesus from American Gods :)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
early in the game you have to chase BOY and if you press BOY enough times he starts sounding worried and actually says "ATREUS!!" :3:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Calaveron posted:

Also can we make DAD an official game genre now? Last of us, this game, come on

“A man breaking his journey between one place and another at a third place of no name, character, population or significance, sees a unicorn cross his path and disappear. That in itself is startling, but there are precedents for mystical encounters of various kinds, or to be less extreme, a choice of persuasions to put it down to fancy; until--"My God," says a second man, "I must be dreaming, I thought I saw a unicorn." At which point, a dimension is added that makes the experience as alarming as it will ever be. A third witness, you understand, adds no further dimension but only spreads it thinner, and a fourth thinner still, and the more witnesses there are the thinner it gets and the more reasonable it becomes until it is as thin as reality, the name we give to the common experience... "Look, look!" recites the crowd. "A horse with an arrow in its forehead! It must have been mistaken for a deer.”

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The balance feels off with the health upgrades, because each upgrade gives you a lot more health, and I feel like the first act of the game would have been a lot more fun if each apple had given me a little more health rather than waiting until #3 to get a huge increase. There were several fights where if I'd had just a sliver more health I'd have won, including the first boss, which I almost beat on the first try :mad:

edit: plus, so far, I mean the apples were spread out and were all in optional areas with puzzles so good fuckin' luck if you're not a total :sperg: like all of us and check every path before doing the sensible thing which is "follow the boy who's telling you to hurry up and follow him"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I just got a boat, and I'm doing side stuff, but I can't go back to the blacksmith

does it become blindingly obvious at which point you can do so because i have got a poo poo ton of money and materials

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The patch that just dropped makes the game properly respect your display area setting, btw

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I didn't think this game was gonna have so much humor, and it's good

Atreus giving Kratos poo poo for pushing every button and pulling every lever he sees lmao

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
My regular PS4 doesn't get loud at all

Are there any big side quests I missed before Alfheim? Or am I all basically in the prologue? How is this game so huge

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

veni veni veni posted:

Yes there are side quests all over before alfheim. One of them is huge and took me like 2 hours.

You'll be able to do them later though.

Where the blue hell was that??? I sailed everywhere and the only thing I found was the island spirits

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Is loot random now? I'm only in Alfheim and already have 7 of the 9 apples. Yet I've only found 2 of the mead horns.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Dark elves can eat a dick

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

If you're having trouble with ringinh the bells for RUNE CHESTS

THROW AXE BEHIND BELL ONE

CASUALLY LINE UP NEXT SHOT

CALL AXE BACK TO YOU TO START

I swear, this is the easiest puzzle in the history of video games and every page someone complains about it.

There are some that are a lot harder than others, and notably many where this strategy can't be used (like the one where you have to hit the second and third bell while they're in motion, and one in Alfheim where you can't really throw the axe "behind" any of the bells).

I mean, I haven't been stuck on any because the timing window seems pretty generous, but any puzzle which requires reflexes is not "the easiest puzzle in the history of video games".

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Kilometers Davis posted:

GoW is literally the game people want when they talk about wanting an open world game where there’s no fluff and everything ties into the main story. Nothing feels out of place or pointless.

I love how Kratos explains AAA game mechanics to BOY.

"But you go do stuff that isn't important all the time!"
"Everything we find improves our ability to murder. It is not pointless. Now decipher those runes so I can get on that ledge and find some literal garbage."

Also, the last few hours I God of Warred last night was entirely in Alfheim. I was stoned and getting sleep deprived and it just kept going on and on and I still don't know if I'm anywhere near the end. Holy poo poo it's a long, gorgeous area. The eerie abandoned nature of it while everything still looks pristine gives me major Dark Souls vibes.

Also thanks to the goon who speculated that Atreus is actually Loki because now I can't get that theory out of my drat brain :mad:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

esperterra posted:

Alfheim is gooooorgeous. That's the exact moment I became torn between exploration and wanting to push the story forward. I ended up going back to Midgard and doing some sidequests for the dwarves lmao.

People keep mentioning dorf quests but every time I talk to them they just shoot the poo poo and don't give me a quest

God drat it's weird having a AAA game where I feel like I'm constantly missing things and not having a map that is helpful in any way at all if you're inside somewhere.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Sekenr posted:

So far I've seen 2 types of armor, one is kinda like a 1-tit bra and the other is like a shirt.

I found a third type in a chest that's like a weird sort of spandex shoulder guard :confused:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
oh my god Atreus you are BEST BOY

"You know a lot about war, huh Father?"
"...yes."

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
huh, i just looked up Ascension because I don't remember a single thing about that game's plot, and was surprised to see it actually got very good reviews, were they all paid off or did everyone misjudge that game? I don't remember it being BAD exactly, just super mediocre?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The combat clicked for me finally last night, I've unlocked all the "first tier" moves I guess you'd say and I got in that sweet spot of "throw axe to pin down a dude, wail on dude with fists, parry into shield slam, call back axe slicing through the guy I just shield slammed, activate big Runic attack, done".

I still think the Health Upgrades are weirdly done and distributed. I got apples 4, 5 and 6 like an hour after getting number 3, then I got 7. And I'm just now still in Alfheim, which means that there are only 2 more apples in the entire, what, 75% of the game I have left? So weird.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
yeah the game doesn't really point out that you can upgrade EVERYTHING

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I can already tell finding all the Ravens is gonna be loving miserable, unless they're cumulative across all playthroughs

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
One would have to be blissfully ignorant to think that anything Kratos does would even make CPS bat an eyelash.

They're too busy taking kids away from single moms who are legitimately trying their best but forgot to throw away an empty liquor bottle and didn't lock their bathroom medicine cabinet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Araganzar posted:

I would rather say if you can't get behind the relationship at all either you're not a especially empathetic person or you haven't been paying attention. Kratos was raised in Sparta. He would have been taken from his family at age 7 for essentially boarding school where he would be encouraged forget his family and give his loyalty to his new leaders and comrades. At age 12 would have moved into barracks and started full time training as a warrior. He would have been under an older warrior who likely took the job to support pederasty. He would have been starved to encourage him to steal food and then beaten horribly for doing so. At 12 he would be basically on his own and considered to be an adult. If Kratos's relationship with his parents had not been severed by age 7, it would have been by age 12. Atreus is maybe 10 or 11.

Kratos does not abuse his son. He is rough on him but fair. He spends most of his time teaching him. He's trying to make up for being absent and trying to connect. At the same time doesn't want him to know anything about his former life because of the road he feels that will put him on. Kratos wants to love his son, but he is afraid because anything he allows himself to feel strongly about is either taken from him or destroyed, sometimes (often) by himself. Even if he could connect with his son in a way we would consider loving, he's not sure he knows how and he fears finding that out. Remember him telling the story of the frog and the scorpion. Kratos believes he is the Scorpion. He pulls his hand back not because he does not want to love his son but because he does not want to doom him.

Also, the story is not bad. So far it's following two journeys of the hero. One of the important things about storytelling is the ultimate goal is not important and that in fact is just a signpost. On top of that carrying their mother's ashes is in an excellent narrative choice. It heightens their connection as father and son at every turn, it turns the conversation and the story naturally to the mother again and again, it gives every character they meet a reason to engage them and have an emotional reaction. It reminds you that Kratos, who finds spirits annoying, who claims to never help anybody, is doing this for his departed wife and only friend, not to help her soul rest, not to accomplish anything at all, but only because she asked. Everything Kratos tells his son during this quest is given the lie by the quest itself, and his son knows it. Atreus sees what his father is going through and what he's willing to do for a bag of bones and ash, and this is how he learns that his father loves, and loves with fierceness and loyalty. This is what guides his growth, and the conversations are him trying to get Kratos to admit it while being amazed that his dad doesn't know how transparent he really is.

a good post