Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Horace posted:

Oh, look, they reacted. https://www.reddit.com/r/announcements/comments/mcisdf/an_update_on_the_recent_issues_surrounding_a/

tl;dr: Challenor out, 'wasn't vetted adequately'. Also tacitly admits that they found out a couple of weeks ago and they tried to cover it up by implementing automated "anti-doxxing" tools.

Admins knew

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Oooh I'm so mad at Reddit I'm gonna give them a bunch of money so I can buy gold awards for all the people talking poo poo about them

Fuckin got em

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

What do you want to do? Who do you want to be?

quote:

Additional info I've been tipped off to that may not be included in any of the linked threads: before becoming an admin, the person in question moderated subreddits specifically for teenaged audiences. I cannot link to proof of this because it uses their full name which reddit won't allow me to say, but it's from a well-known and reliable online newspaper.

Yet more info that I've been shown screenshots proving (out of respect for the person who showed me I cannot share them, unfortunately): as part of their duties as a reddit employee, the admin in question has been in charge of reviewing content for potential minor sexualization, and has explicitly refused to take down content containing sexualization of children. She then threatened to ban the user submitting the reports for "report abuse." Why does reddit allow this to happen? Is there literally zero oversight here?
:chloe:

gbs but from 2004
Oct 24, 2004

wow u rude pig

"i STarTed this TOIlEt Of A tHreaD aNd HAve sOmEHOW aVoidEd A red teXt"
oh nothin just Reddit

https://reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/mcj46r/peach_with_a_pearl_earring_andrea_tamme_digital/

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Peach was the first and so far one of the few women characters in video games that is not edgy or spoiled.
https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/com...web2x&context=3

regular mike
Mar 29, 2010
Reddit hosts the biggest and most powerful brains on the internet

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I love how the mods of r/AirForce added the POSITIVITY! flair to the question about stealing pantyhose from air force members

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Peak comedy. Over 40,000 Redditors agree.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

Jesustheastronaut! posted:

Peak comedy. Over 40,000 Redditors agree.

This isn't all that different from a standard rage comic from way back when, Redditors never really moved beyond that.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Willatron posted:

This isn't all that different from a standard rage comic from way back when, Redditors never really moved beyond that.

Despite having millions and millions of users and visitors their frontpage keeps repeating the same three stories and memes. I wouldn't be surprised if this was literally reposted repeatedly since rage comic times.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

nihil novum sub sole

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

The reddit comics are so bad, there's never anything resembling a setup or payoff. Sometimes you'll get one and not the other but mostly it's neither.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
One positive change they have made is that if you browse ‘all’, no NSFW subs are displayed. Which means I don’t have to see that perv Grafo’s crappy cartoons any more.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

HGB edit -edited out extremely hosed up video

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Mar 31, 2021

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Man it's too early to start drinking why you gotta do me like this

Punkinhead fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Mar 31, 2021

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!
Jesus gently caress

von Vicious
Apr 2, 2015

I'M A GINGER BABY WwwWWaaAaAhhH!!!
what the gently caress are those people

gbs but from 2004
Oct 24, 2004

wow u rude pig

[quote="AnimeIsTrash" post="513614250"]
Video

I don’t get it. Some cartoon character???

Somebody fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Mar 31, 2021

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!
Click through to the gif

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
"hi! as a member of and regular visitor to *checks notes* /r/ BrutalBeatdowns, let me tell you why this is cool and good content"

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Can someone spoil it I'm not watching any loving thing on there

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Amphigory posted:

Can someone spoil it I'm not watching any loving thing on there

a small child gets brutally beaten down, but its funny because a cartoon character for a frame?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I think it's mostly "funny" because the sociopaths cheering for it on reddit confirm the main "reddit has a lot of bad people and is thus itself bad" point of this thread.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Computer viking posted:

I think it's mostly "funny" because the sociopaths cheering for it on reddit confirm the main "reddit has a lot of bad people and is thus itself bad" point of this thread.

I wasn't trying to trash on it for being posted here, but rather the guy who posted it on reddit who seems to think its loving hilarious

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
That was obviously self-defense. That kid was coming right at him with those high-powered kicks.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
dear god why

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

RFC2324 posted:

I wasn't trying to trash on it for being posted here, but rather the guy who posted it on reddit who seems to think its loving hilarious

Right, I think I was getting my here/there context wrong.
Over on the reddit side, I have no idea what the cartoon frame is about, but it seems to just be "haha someone finally gave a proper smackdown murder attempt to an annoying child".

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
That was not an acceptable thing to post ever, even to mock reddit, I need a loving drink after that poo poo. The punishment on that one will be severe.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

very 2005 era internet forum vibes

Afro
May 29, 2007

Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit

Caesar Saladin posted:

very 2005 era internet forum vibes

just missing a comment calling the kid "crotch spawn"

Yellow Yoshi
Apr 29, 2020

Figure 1: Mario's weird dog
god drat what the gently caress
genuinely disturbing, my day is now ruined

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

loving scum of the earth

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Computer viking posted:

Right, I think I was getting my here/there context wrong.
Over on the reddit side, I have no idea what the cartoon frame is about, but it seems to just be "haha someone finally gave a proper smackdown murder attempt to an annoying child".

I think I finally figured out why Skyrim by default won’t let you kill the kid-NPCs during the game. Even when they happen to be paying for bandits to attack you.

Edit: just making sure that folks don’t think I’m in favor of “child murder” as a concept; very interested in simply just “punching NPCs of all kinds,” though 😝

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
child npcs should just (e: NOT) exist in the game at all, or in any game about murdering strangers

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Mar 31, 2021

gbs but from 2004
Oct 24, 2004

wow u rude pig

welp glad I missed that one

Thanks Reddit!!!

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

child npcs should just exist in the game at all, or in any game about murdering strangers

I think (hope?) you meant “just NOT exist in the game at all.” If this is the case I agree, as well as admit my son would play play Jedi Knight for hours on his days with me and his favorite activities included cheat-code spawning Stormtroopers and Lando off of cliffs into acid 500 ft down. He did spawn like 30 light-side AND dark-side Jedi in big spaces and then enable AI. The sound of thirty lightsabers igniting and then a murderball that sometimes took five minutes to watch the AI work it out was pretty darn fun, too!

He used to abuse the Annoying Fan in ES: Oblivion, too. And he was about the same age as AF at the time.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Feel good reddit?

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/ml0wrx/teachers_of_reddit_what_are_the_new_student/

"Emo kids are still there but they are very political now. It was annoying when I was a teen, and they all tried to out- anarchist each other, but now it's like, 'Bobby is such a poser. He doesn't even read theory' (said by a kid who also does not read theory)."

"Most groups are football players, gamers, and horse girls."

"I would say the two groups that stand out to me are the new weebs and the ESL kids. New weebs are cool and dorky. The cool ones actually do other stuff, like sports or something but also love anime. Dorky ones only weeb all the time. The ESL kids have their own dorky and cool weeb groups that are essentially the same as above, but happen in Portuguese or Spanish. The ESL population is growing exponentially every year."

"Honestly, I just notice that there aren't as many of those types of groups compared to when I was in school during the '90s. The students seem more accepting and the barriers to entry into groups don't seem as fixed or harsh. The basketball star is into anime. The emo kids now listen to hip-hop. Country club kids are organizing social justice protests. It's just all over the place now."

"In my observation, the groups have just dissolved. It seems like people sort of just mingle with everyone. There are still the nerds, but they seem to be popular?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Zero One posted:

Feel good reddit?

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/ml0wrx/teachers_of_reddit_what_are_the_new_student/

"Emo kids are still there but they are very political now. It was annoying when I was a teen, and they all tried to out- anarchist each other, but now it's like, 'Bobby is such a poser. He doesn't even read theory' (said by a kid who also does not read theory)."

"Most groups are football players, gamers, and horse girls."

"I would say the two groups that stand out to me are the new weebs and the ESL kids. New weebs are cool and dorky. The cool ones actually do other stuff, like sports or something but also love anime. Dorky ones only weeb all the time. The ESL kids have their own dorky and cool weeb groups that are essentially the same as above, but happen in Portuguese or Spanish. The ESL population is growing exponentially every year."

"Honestly, I just notice that there aren't as many of those types of groups compared to when I was in school during the '90s. The students seem more accepting and the barriers to entry into groups don't seem as fixed or harsh. The basketball star is into anime. The emo kids now listen to hip-hop. Country club kids are organizing social justice protests. It's just all over the place now."

"In my observation, the groups have just dissolved. It seems like people sort of just mingle with everyone. There are still the nerds, but they seem to be popular?"

this gave me the tiniest bit of hope for the future and is therefore a mistake