Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

96 spacejam posted:

I was waiting and waiting for the "Cuz I'm the Juggernaut bitch!" line.

Overall I really enjoyed it. If you liked DP1 you'll no doubt have a good time during DP2.

I was very surprised they restrained themselves and didn't even joke about that line. I was waiting for it haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caros
May 14, 2008

Alan_Shore posted:

I was very surprised they restrained themselves and didn't even joke about that line. I was waiting for it haha

Honestly, if they'd done it I think they would have only done so in order to take the piss out of it. Glad they didn't either way.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Saw this as a double feature and had a great time. The deaths of all those lame superheroes five minutes after they were introduced was just lovely.

As was baby legs Deadpool, though he was also simultaneously very disturbing.

e: I will add that his gf dying immediately after watching the first movie was a little stunning but I gueeeesss it doesn't even matter.

e2: Cable is a racist tell your friends.

turtlecrunch fucked around with this message at 05:02 on May 18, 2018

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

turtlecrunch posted:

He killed black Tom!!!

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
This movie is so good. Such an unbelievable tribute to and parody of the Liefeld era. They even had a skydiving sequence (that's how all all 90s superheroes got into enemy bases)

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

poptart_fairy posted:

Using the exact concept you're trying to make a statement about is pretty backwards, though. Being meta about something doesn't mean it isn't any less silly.

Yea! Like what even is satire, anyways?

Caros
May 14, 2008

turtlecrunch posted:

Saw this as a double feature and had a great time. The deaths of all those lame superheroes five minutes after they were introduced was just lovely.

As was baby legs Deadpool, though he was also simultaneously very disturbing.

e: I will add that his gf dying immediately after watching the first movie was a little stunning but I gueeeesss it doesn't even matter.

The double feature really was a nice touch, wasn't it? First time my city has ever done something like that for a film, and it really made the whole narrative stick so much better. The Vanessa stuff sticks so much harder on an emotional level when you see the first film directly before hand.

Also the x-force weren't the only casualties from that scene. I straight up died from laughing and am now alive only due to time travel shenanigans.

Caros fucked around with this message at 06:31 on May 18, 2018

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I went to see this movie and it was sold out at 10:30 on a Thursday night, in my overgrown cowtown no less. :saddowns: I have a feeling the movie's gonna do gangbusters.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I really adored this movie. Its the first movie but with more and better in some ways.

Anytime Cable is standing in a mirror with the purple comic book city behind him just owns.

I went to the double showing thing and that was worth it to be honest. Good character stuff carries through.

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

Really enjoyed it.

The scene where Russel is talking to Juggernaught in the prison and decides they need a signal like "ca-caw" killed me. It was a direct callback to Hunt for the Wilderpeople and I think my gf and I were the only people to start laughing hysterically.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

LanceHunter posted:

Yea! Like what even is satire, anyways?

It was played completely straight.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Jeb! Repetition posted:

This movie is so good. Such an unbelievable tribute to and parody of the Liefeld era.

”…somebody who can’t draw feet!”

Got to assume giving Cable an actual fanny pack is a Liefeld jab too.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

poptart_fairy posted:

It was played completely straight.

Good satire is played super straight

*coughackstarshiptroopers*

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Zazie Beetz continues to be an adorable delight in everything

Lifepuzzler
Nov 5, 2009
I couldn't keep it together during the absolutely perfect James Bond-esque introduction sequence with Celine Dion blaring

I knew about her involvement prior to the film thanks to YouTube, but in the context of the film it was just perfect.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Frustrated posted:

Really enjoyed it.

The scene where Russel is talking to Juggernaught in the prison and decides they need a signal like "ca-caw" killed me. It was a direct callback to Hunt for the Wilderpeople and I think my gf and I were the only people to start laughing hysterically.

I still find it hilarious that Juggernaut goes along with it and actually stays with the kid after the escape from the prison convoy. You think there's mean to be something deeper to that?

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

That guy has a real knack for reading poo poo totally wrong.

Anyway good film, didn't feel like all the jokes landed but the ones that did were great. Baby legs Deadpool was insanely drat funny. I mean drat.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
If you liked Deadpool then you should like DP2 even more. It's very dense with jokes amd not all land, but the ones that do are really funny.

X-Force mass death and baby legs just dick-shirtin' it for instance.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Moment I keep remembering and chuckling at:

"Hey Cable, can I borrow one of those guns?"
"No"
"Fair enough, I'll just use this brick."

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I still find it hilarious that Juggernaut goes along with it and actually stays with the kid after the escape from the prison convoy. You think there's mean to be something deeper to that?

In the comics, Juggernaut had a big brother relationship with a bullied mutant kid for a while, partially built from his own history with abuse from when he was a child. This was during the period where Juggernaut was a member of the X-Men and taught gym at the school.

It was the lone bright spot in what's considered maybe the worst X-Men run of all time.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Comrade Fakename posted:

”…somebody who can’t draw feet!”

I'm the only one who laughed at that in my theater, but goddamnit, that's a funny loving joke.

Movie had a slightly better plot than the first film, Cable and Domino were excellent additions, and Ryan Reynolds continues to be the perfect choice for the character. I also loved all the jabs at the MCU, which there were a lot more than I expected.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
They replaced almost all trailer jokes with different ones, except the "DCEU" one. I wish they didn't mention DC anything until the after credit burn.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

So in the first movie Deadpool & pals fight the military industrial complex and blow up an aircraft carrier. In Deadpool 2 they fight the school-to-prison pipeline,blow up a prison and carjack a prisoner transport.

:ussr:

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
The DC burns were real good.

Also Deadpool constantly trying to make out Cable as a huge racist. RIP Black Tom, your powers of cultural appropriation couldn't stop a bullet sadly

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

CelticPredator posted:

How was it satired in this film?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

poptart_fairy posted:

How was it satired in this film?

I mean... the opening credits made fun of it right after it happened?

Then they reversed it in the most wacky comic book way possible via time travel?

It's not some :decorum: critique but they clearly didn't take the idea of whacking a major character for cheap shock value seriously.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 17:13 on May 18, 2018

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Yo, sean, maybe inch those spoiler tags back a bit so that people don't know the thing that's made fun of in the opening credits gets reversed mid-ending-credits.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Vanessa should have stayed dead.

Their relationship is too sweet for the Deadpool character.

During the 3rd act, I really thought Cable was going to use his one shot of time travel going back to beginning of the film to save Vanessa, to repay Deadpool saving his family. Unlimited time travel change things too much.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 17:12 on May 18, 2018

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
They also apparently cut out a post-credits scene where Deadpool kills baby Hitler.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I disagree that playing the death comepletely straight, using it to kick start the entire plot and then reversing it in a quick joke post credits is satire. Winking at the camera and saying "this lazy writing" doesn't make it any less so, but at this point :shrug:

Caros
May 14, 2008

Megazver posted:

They also apparently cut out a post-credits scene where Deadpool kills baby Hitler.

Yeah, apparently the scene was a bit too much. Supposedly he arrives in a german nursery, looks at baby hitler in a crib but can't do it. Walks off screen, comes back with a marker and draws a mustache on hitler before muttering 'maximum effort' and proceeding to throttle him.

I definitely hope it makes the deleted scenes.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

whatever7 posted:

I don't know, they did good work giving him a daughter in the comics, and it's not like that took the edge off him. Deadpool as a character always works best with a bit of heart, the wacky bullshit and killing folks bits get old after a bit.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

whatever7 posted:

Vanessa should have stayed dead.

Their relationship is the thing that makes Deadpool a character.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

poptart_fairy posted:

I disagree that playing the death comepletely straight, using it to kick start the entire plot and then reversing it in a quick joke post credits is satire. Winking at the camera and saying "this lazy writing" doesn't make it any less so, but at this point :shrug:

But it's not really about her dying. It's about Deadpool growing as a person. He was already doing that before she died. Her death actually put him back 10 steps.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Something that could be done without going that dull and pretty wasteful route. The writing is very sharp otherwise, so to hinge on such an event strikes me as kinda lazy.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It's not about that character though. It's about Deadpool. (I'm talking the point of the movie)

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Almost as if wasting the character to motivate deadpool is my issue...

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Does "Peter" from the trailers do anything important? Because one of the trailers with him had this really dramatic skydiving moment and I'm curious whether that ends in a gag or if he actually helps.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

poptart_fairy posted:

Almost as if wasting the character to motivate deadpool is my issue...

It didn't motivate Deadpool though!!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Does "Peter" from the trailers do anything important? Because one of the trailers with him had this really dramatic skydiving moment and I'm curious whether that ends in a gag or if he actually helps.

He saves the world

• Locked thread