Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«8 »
  • Post
  • Reply
JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015


B

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars




A

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

A roc and a hard place


B, exploration

What-s the total population of the tribe?

Have we ever been attacked by other tribes?

What size are the tribes we trade with?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?







D

This is Paleolithic Moana, El-damnit, we're gonna learn how to sail

PoultryGeist
Feb 26, 2013

Crystals?

D

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface


Mr. Nemo posted:

B, exploration

What-s the total population of the tribe?

Have we ever been attacked by other tribes?

What size are the tribes we trade with?


Including you, your tribe consists of 28 people split up among the various house holds. The exact breakdown (not counting you as we have not decided yet) is 10 members of the Yak'ab Tun family, 14 members of of the Aj-Ahin family, 2 members of the Muwan family, and the Wayfarer.

Luckily, given your isolated location your tribe has not been attacked in recent memory. Some standoffs and disputes have happened when your traders have fished along the coast of trading partners but those have mostly been defused peacefully.

The Far-Hunters found several days journey by boat to the west, are about half your size, running about 10-14 people.
To the northwest of you are the Fast-Climbers, who are slightly smaller then you, running about 18-23 people.

I will throw a rough map up once we are good and started in the game.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at Apr 22, 2018 around 21:28

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface


Voting ends in two hours

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013


I'll throw in a vote for C, though D is fine as well.

NinjaPete
Nov 14, 2004

Hail to the speaker,
Hail to the knower,
Joy to him who has understood,
Delight to those who have listened.

- Hávamál


DC

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface


Voting Closed!

Choice D wins! Update in a few hours.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at Apr 23, 2018 around 19:46

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface


Sorry about the delay, everyone.




You were found deep in the Great Bay, several winters ago after a particularly severe storm season. Your discoverers, the Muwan family out on a deep bay fishing expedition, were shocked at both your survival and discovery, as the chance of being found lost in the Great Bay is nearly non-existent. After a moment of disbelief and hushed murmuring you were dragged onto the already full boat, where you stayed for the duration of the fishing expedition, heaped onto a pile of fish. Their boat now full with the harvest of the sea, both fish and child, the Muwan family returned to the tribe, mumbling about lost time and fish.



Your arrival created a bit of an uproar, with the families first arguing about what to do with you, and then when that matter was settled, with who would take in. While an additional child would be an extra mouth to feed it also provided an additional pair of hands to help around the tribe and an additional person that could gather influence and favors for the family. The argument, as they tend to do in the village, got quite heated, with families calling in past debts in, only to be countered with other families calling in their favors. This continued on for time, all the while you remained heaped on the sand in the center of the village.



The arguments ceased when Jub stepped forward and stated that he would be claiming you. "Enough, the child will be mine, I will teach it the ways of finding, so that the child may contribute to the tribe in the manner it has shown itself most capable." With a laugh Muwan stated that it was the her that found you, not the other way around to which Jub responded only with quirked eyebrow. After a few chuckles the family's began to argue their claims in turn.


Bubul Che' began to raise his voice in protest, only to be shushed by his partner, Chak Chel', who began to haggle with Jub. Smiling with satisfaction, Chak Chel' agreed to give up the claim on you in exchange for Jub's assistance in finding more knapping material in the near future. A few chuckles went around the tribe at Bubul's expense and the matter was settled.



Bah Te' and Bato Tox simply looked at Jub, your unconscious and barely breathing form, and back at Jub before stating that they wanted several days hunting advice in return for the child. With a snort, Jub agreed and their claim was settled.



Lastly, there was Chak Chuy'muwan, who, to the surprise of everyone, gave her claim up without a fuss. Questioning looks were answered with a laugh and her stating that it would be nice to have the future Wayfarer owe her. After all, the people's memory is long and debts only grow with time. Her partner, Nah Op, never spoke a word, only watching the preceding with the bemused smile he always seems to wear.
The matter settled, you were handed over to Jub, still wet and reeking of fish.

You of course, know nothing of the arguments and deals that occurred because of your arrival. Being a perfect combination of feverish,dehydrated, and unconscious your memories of these events, if any, are hazy and jumbled. You only awakened later inside Jub's dilapidated hut. Confused, frightened, afraid, and frankly disgusted by your surroundings, you were only able to moan and mumble, your throat too parched and worn from saltwater for speaking. "Hush child, and listen." said Jub, tipping a leaf of water into your mouth, "You are part of the Swift-Reeds tribe now, by right of finding, and in time you will learn all that the means and requires. For tonight, you will rest and heal, for your lessons begin tomorrow." Your mumbled queries about who the Swift-Reeds were and what exactly you were to learn were quickly hushed and interrupted as more water was given to you. Exhausted, you passed out soon after.

You awake with a start late in the morning , after what seem like mere moments of sleep, to the sound of one object striking another a mere arms length from your face. "You are awake, good." Jub states, and goes back to his task. In one hand he holds a hammer made from a large shell lashed to a stick, in his lap he places a scallop shell half, still wet from the sea. The sound that woke you was the him striking the shell with the shell-hammer, afterwards he pauses and examines the shell closely, tracing the ridges and cracks with his fingers, before either tossing it outside the hut or placing it one of two bags. "Your lessons begin now, foundling, you are to watch, learn, and question. I have several favors that I need to repay and I do not plan on letting them grow with time, so you will learn by seeing while I work. We catch two fish with one cast in that way." The hammering and sorting begins again, rhythmic in its actions.

What do you do?

A: You cry, you are tired, thirsty, sore, sunburnt and a strange man in a disgusting hut is hammering shells an arms length away from your face. Of course you cry.

B: Lash out, you are tired, sore, and thirsty and there is a strange man making loud noises in front of you while you rest. So you try to make him stop.

C: Ask for water, drink and watch as you were told to do. Might as well try to figure out what he is doing.

D: Ask where you are, who he is, and what is happening.

E: Write in

Edit: To clarify, Option E should be used for action write ins. You can freely ask Jub questions until the vote ends Wednesday night and I will respond to them as they are posted.


What do you ask, if anything?

I am going to be experimenting a bit with the question mechanic to figure out what I (and you) feel works the best. For now feel free to ask anything and as much as you would like (within character of course!), though you are not guaranteed an answer you like.

Voting Ends Wednesday Night

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at Apr 25, 2018 around 18:25

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn


C

Aabcehmu
Apr 27, 2013

Confusion As a Natural State of Being


How do we understand what they're saying? Are we from a near enough tribe that our languages are mutually intelligible?

Also, I'm split. We are a child, but we're also blessed by the waters. I'm not sure whether we should be as emotional as feels natural, or more collected?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

No need to sign, we'll take care of that.


Lipstick Apathy

C

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface


Aabcehmu posted:

How do we understand what they're saying? Are we from a near enough tribe that our languages are mutually intelligible?

Also, I'm split. We are a child, but we're also blessed by the waters. I'm not sure whether we should be as emotional as feels natural, or more collected?

As far as you know (which is admittedly not a whole lot), all tribes speak the same language. You do not think it is odd you can understand him.

Aabcehmu
Apr 27, 2013

Confusion As a Natural State of Being


Telsa Cola posted:

As far as you know (which is admittedly not a whole lot), all tribes speak the same language. You do not think it is odd you can understand him.
The same language. Interesting...

Anyway, I'll vote C

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015


C

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012


C

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013


gonna throw in a doomed vote for A

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016



Seems like C is in the lead.
This CYOA is giving me a real King of Dragon Pass vibe.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars




CD

Telsa Cola posted:

As far as you know (which is admittedly not a whole lot), all tribes speak the same language. You do not think it is odd you can understand him.

Should we take this to mean that we're from a people that consider themselves a tribe, rather than some other manner of settlement and society?

If we still have memories of a place and people before here.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface


Grevling posted:

This CYOA is giving me a real King of Dragon Pass vibe.

King of Dragon Pass is fairly well built from an anthropology standpoint, which is why it holds up really well in my opinion. That lore book that came out several years ago was quite amazing.

dont be mean to me posted:


Should we take this to mean that we're from a people that consider themselves a tribe, rather than some other manner of settlement and society?

If we still have memories of a place and people before here.

While you do have memories of a place and people from before now, they are generally hazy and unclear enough that getting exact details about your origin is currently unlikely , likely a result of your young age and traumatic circumstances around your arrival.

You do know that your people considered themselves a tribe, both as way of identifying themselves and as a way of social organization, though you are unaware of the specifics. You have not really been awake enough around the Swift-Reeds to get a second point of comparison.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at Apr 24, 2018 around 15:24

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018


C

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!


D
E "Where's my mother? Where's my father? Where's my uncle?"

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?







C

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface


In hindsight, I realize that the options I wrote were a bit unclear, confusing, and redundant. I apologize for that, as I am still trying to get the hang of this. If in the future anything seems unclear just post or message me on discord and I will gladly clarify.

To clarify, Option E should be used for action write ins. You can freely ask Jub questions until the vote ends Wednesday night and I will respond to them as they are posted.

John_A_Tallon posted:

E "Where's my mother? Where's my father? Where's my uncle?"

Jub does not look up from his work as he responds, hammering a shell and placing it into one of the bags after a moment of examination. "Somewhere far away I imagine, perhaps from beyond the Bay, perhaps not. One is never sure what forest the driftwood springs from." Another blow, another shell added to a bag. "...It is also possible that they might have died in the storm." Another shell, another bag.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

I sort of wish that we hadn't picked a character.

I would have liked to play this out from the perspective of the village as a whole, debating the merits of poo poo and picking out a course of action through barter.

Oh well.

C. This is my elder, regardless of the tribe and I will do as he says. I do not know if he's hostile and would rather not piss off an armed stranger.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!


Cannon_Fodder posted:

I sort of wish that we hadn't picked a character.

I would have liked to play this out from the perspective of the village as a whole, debating the merits of poo poo and picking out a course of action through barter.

Pretty sure we'll have chances to wheel and deal once the character is an adult. It seems like everyone trades favors to get anything significant done.

AbysmalPeptoBismol
Feb 4, 2016

Nausea, heartburn, indigestion, upset stomach, diarrhea!


C + E: "Who are you? What do you do for the tribe?"

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface


Voting ends in two hours.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface


Voting Closed

Vote count and update tomorrow.

Choice C Won

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at Apr 26, 2018 around 20:50

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface


AbysmalPeptoBismol posted:

"Who are you? What do you do for the tribe?"

Still working he simply replies "I am Jub, I find things for the tribe."


Painfully sitting up, you ask Jub for a cup of water. He offers a brief glance at a wooden bowl placed along the nearby wall and goes back to his task. Finding the bowl full of warmish water you quench your thirst and sit back down on the bed, feeling the palm fronds crunch beneath you and chafing your sunburnt skin. You take this brief moment to look around his hut more.



You are surprised at how large the hut is, seemingly able to house three to four people comfortably, yet Jub seems to be the only resident. Your bed, and what appears to be Jub's workstation are placed on the far wall away from the entrance. An active hearth is located in the middle of the hut, with several logs and stones placed as benches. Several bundles of smoked fish are hung up among the rafters, filling the room with an oddly pleasant smell of smoke and fish. At least it seems you wont be going hungry.
That is where the pleasant surprises end, however. You are no master at hut construction and repair but you are fairly certain that the walls and roof shouldn't be the color of rotting wood. Even more distressing, several portions of the thatch wall seem to be slowly caving inward, bulging ominously. The entire hut appears like it could fall down at any moment, which would be more concerning if the roof wasn't sporting so many holes that you are fairly sure you would be unhurt if it all collapsed on you. Various tools and pieces of leather are strewn across the floor.
Then you notice the shells.



Lots and lots of shells.



An entire portion of Jub's hut by the entrance appears dedicated to storing shells. The shells are heaped on the floor, the only ordered thing about them is that they seem somewhat contained in that portion of the house. Your sharp eyes are drawn to subtle movement as you spot small crabs picking their way through the mess. You are fairly certain one turned to look at you before crawling along. You shudder.



Another clash of shell against shell occurs and you tear you eyes away from your surroundings to focus on Jub. He has just finished smashing a clam shell with the shell-hammer, and is running his hands along it. Peering closer, you realize his fingers are tracing the cracks and groves that were left from the impact. Jub appears to take a moment to ponder before placing the cracked shell into one of the bags by his side, immediately reaching for another shell. This time you are able to watch the entire process closely. Jub peers at the shell for a moment before placing it on small section of leather hide located on his lap. He raises the hammer up high before bringing it down sharply, striking the shell right right above the hinge. Tiny pieces of shell break off, and Jub sets the hammer down and beings to trace the freshly-made cracks. He looks over the shell for a few breaths before placing it into the other bag. The process repeats for sometime, the small pile of shells by his side getting ever smaller.

You think you have worked out most of the system by the time the small pile by his side is depleted, though you don't understand many of the fundamental reasons. Shells are chosen from the pile at his side at random and any already cracked ones are discarded immediately. The shell is placed on his lap and struck with the shell-hammer, which is always raised up high before swiftly coming down. As far as you can tell the second examination takes place to make sure the shell has not been too damaged. Any shell with large pieces broken off was discarded, though Jub also discarded some shells you were sure were intact. The last step,the sorting of the shells by bag, was relatively easy to discern. Shells were sorted into bag by shade, with darker colors into one and lighter colors into another. When he is done and the bags are sorted Jub stands, paying no mind to the small rain of shell fragments that fall to the floor.

Setting his tools aside he looks at you and asks "And what did you learn?"

How do you respond?

1: You tell him you learned nothing.

2: You tell him what you have worked out through observation.

3: You tell him that you learned his hut is filthy.

4: You tell him you would like to go home.

5: Write in

Voting ends in 48 hours

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at Apr 27, 2018 around 03:47

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn


2,3

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015


2,3

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

No need to sign, we'll take care of that.


Lipstick Apathy

2,3

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018


2,3

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007



Yam Slacker

2.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com


5: Jub, I think you're loving with me. What's going on?

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!


2
5
Ask what the shells are good for now that he's done all that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars




John_A_Tallon posted:

2
5
Ask what the shells are good for now that he's done all that.

This and 5: Ask as to how huts work here in general, without pointing out that Jub's is approaching 'it doesn't'.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • Post
  • Reply
«8 »