Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016

:colbert:
Can't really blame you for thinking she's a guy at first glance though, what with this being a JRPG and her actually wearing a respectable outfit with pants and everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016
So I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but in the main game series most of these characters can transform, because they're goddesses. For most of them it's just a power-up that comes with different hair, a skimpier skin-tight outfit and a slight change in personality(Blanc gets angrier, Noire gets more cocksure). Neptune is something of an exception because her transformation turns her into an adult with what seems to be a significantly different personality(it's just her being serious though).

Anyway, I only mentioned this because Plutia and Peashy are also somewhat anomalous. They can both transform, but their transformations are also dramatic like Neptune's. Plutia turns into a whip-wielding sadist(she's also a sadist in her normal form, but also perennially stoned so you rarely notice it), while Peashy turns turns into someone who outstrips even Vert in certain regions. She still has the mind of a five year old though, and wouldn't you know it, some people think that's a turn-on :cripes:

Why did I tell you this? Because if I have to live with knowing this, you can suffer together with me!

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016
How about a literal non-literal ship?

The Neps had a crossover with one of those games featuring anthropomorphized warships. So you could have Neptune hanging out with Enterprise, Warspite, Bismarck and Akagi.

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016

Leal posted:

If the cover art for the second game that steam keeps shoving in my face is true, Rom and Ram have the hair color of those 2 other girls when they transform. They knew what they were doing

Re:Zero is from 2012, the game Rom and Ram first appeared in came out in 2011, though the game on Steam you're talking about is actually a remake of that game.
:goonsay:

I'm not so far gone that I actually knew that stuff off the top of my head, I looked it up on Wikipedia.

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016
Yeah, Azur Lane had a collaboration with Neptunia, featuring the four main characters and their transformed selves as girls-who-are-ships. I actually play on the JP server and went through that event. The base forms have skills based on their personalities - Neptune(light cruiser) gets a buff for every other nep character in the fleet and buffs them as well, Noire(heavy cruiser) is a loner so she gets a damage bonus when she gets hit, Blanc(destroyer) takes less damage but also does less damage unless she's in a fleet with Vert, which makes her do and take more damage instead, and Vert(aircraft carrier)... Vert gets a buff for every destroyer in the fleet. And destroyers in Azur Lane range from "busty anime high school girl" to "freaking elementary schoolkid".

Oh, and don't forget that it has a marriage system(or 'oath' in the EN version) so you can marry your nep-waifu in-game! Or you can shell out real-life money and marry all of them!

It's still a fun game tho, and the real-life moneygrubbing is actually quite fair, mostly limited to skins and wedding rings(you get one of those for free but have to pay for polygamy). The gameplay is decent enough and the gacha is very lenient so there's no real need to whale for specific characters.

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016

Leal posted:

Is it between sisters like in this game with Noire and Uni?

Thankfully not.

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016
Do you have any cat ear accessories? I only just realized you should put them on Vert because she's a purr-Vert.

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016

Ozdhaka posted:

Congrats on getting through this, at least, and also condolences on making this your first (and currently only) platinum. If you're seriously going to play through another round of Neps, maybe pick one of the mainline/remake games before delving into another one of the spinoffs.

Definitely space out Nep LPs with some good stuff in-between, though. Especially so before AND after playing Noire's game.

As much as I enjoy Leal's suffering, I don't want to inflict Noire's game on him. Not because of the story, which is bad but tolerably so, but because the gameplay is awful and unfun. It basically boils down to navigating around traps that the enemy ignores completely, then playing a minigame of Lesbian Orgy Logistics Simulator to kill the enemy in one turn because the combat gets seriously rocket-tag-y later in the game, kind of like Disgaea but worse in every way.

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016

Leal posted:

Well sign me (and Ibblebibble) the gently caress up!

Ibblebibble posted:

Look I said I was getting into yuri series lately but this is not what I meant.

That name makes it sound more exciting than it actually is, it's just making sure you're adjacent to as many characters as possible when you use your skills because that makes them better(I forgot how exactly) and lets you use your super skills more often. There's a little cut-in that activates each time, but mercifully also a button to disable it once you get tired of seeing it EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. There's also some yuri stuff in cutscenes, but remember that this is the game with the self-insert character.

And since I'm on a yuri tangent, I'm pretty sure Black Cat Princess was using the pronoun "onee-sama" when calling Vert "older sister". That said, I got the feeling she was too young and naive to know that word has more connotations, especially in anime, than just as a formal way to refer to an older sister.

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016
Well, the Nep games are currently all on sale, so just pick one! The Rebirths are all remakes of the first three games - the second one introduces the sisters and the third one has Plutia. U and Blanc vs Zombies are both 3d beat-em-ups, not really great, the Noire game is just bad, Sega Hard Girls has IF as the protagonist and is the only game to feature a nep saying 'gently caress', albeit with a bleep, VII is probably the best nep game gameplay-wise, and VIIR is VII with VR stuff and revamped gameplay, but takes out the alternate endings I believe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016

Ibblebibble posted:

Guess I know what we're doing next.

The story is somewhat cringeworthy, but tolerably so. The gameplay is where the real awfulness lies, and in fact you can read my thoughts on it just a page back.