Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

That is okay, wait until you are able to queue them up as random, the rewards are better but that will still be a long ways away. To be honest anyways, the epic dungeons do not really drop that good of gear. Unless I am missing something obvious, i've yet to ever get an upgrade from one. Everyone seems to run normal dungeons as that gives you the most AD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

There's an anniversary event starting today: https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/neverwinter/news/detail/10922193-protector%27s-jubilee-2018%21

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

There's a huge sale going on right now on the cash shop. I spent $40 to finish off the boons I needed which was just two campaigns left. Worth it. Spend what zen I had remaining for refinement points to refine gear and got my item level over 11,000. Plus I got some sort of armored chicken mount for free that is pretty badass looking. There's a bunch of free stuff being given away right now too.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I came back for the protector's jubilee and am thinking of staying a while, because it's either that or wait for the sacrifice to make it to PS4 Warframe.

Here are some thoughts, because it's nearly half 2 in the morning here and apparently screaming into the void is what I do now.

Things I Like:

loving love the simplified refining system. I used to hate the bullshit of all the different types of stones, now you just shove gems into whatever's not orange yet. Plus i have feytouched & dragons hoard enchants with wanderers fortune. I eat daily random dungeons and poo poo RP now

Free alt loadout, so you get to try out both subclasses and make one build for dungeon healin' and one for solo dpsin' (i main cleric because in my heart i want to be loved, but not too much)

It still has a very vanilla-wow feel to the art style and I have enjoyed wasting my AD and time during events on playing princess dress up (the real endgame).

There is a ton of content, always something to do. I even occasionally go back to clear low level campaign missions I missed, just for shits and giggles.

I also am kind of impressed with the AD / dungeon reward changes. It was stupid that every player was running cloak tower and eTOS twice for AD and logging out. Now at least there is variety.

Things I do not like:

I have no idea what i'm doing gear wise. I got the chest and hands off the tradebar merchant, and bought the relic hat and boots off the seals guy, then found out it's that bullshit stuff that has a limited time at higher tiers and you need to keep refuelling it. Is all armour like that now or do i need to head somewhere particular to get the good stuff? I still have the elemental fire set, and lathanders cloak / belt / artifact set and have been refining those.

I got a month of vip while I was logging in over xmas, and used the keys opening a bunch of glorious retard boxes yesterday, only to find out they added in a completely useless insult of a pack with an insanely high drop rate, so most of my goddamn keys were wasted. Still have about 500k AD anyway.

Since i've been away my PS4 guild died (never that active anyway) so I don't have any of those boons or armour.

Still no foundry on PS4?

I hate that I have 5 alts, but only really give a poo poo about playing 2 of them, the DC and the GWF. My warlock feels pointless since they nerfed lifesteal and fixed the prophecy on DO so now clerics can DPS? And why rogue or paladin when I can play as the aforementioned GWF who now has a defense and an assault build?

The only reason I don't delete them is because I bought things and bound them and am a sucker for a good sunk-cost fallacy. They exist mostly as dress up characters rather than as things I play, especially the drow rogue.

I have a DC main, previously AC/DC but specced for DPS, now with one loadout for each. My secondary is a halfling GWF in courtesan gear with a big hammer called Tiberius Cohen. He's probably my favourite character wise, because almost everything from his companion (his dad) to his mount (blue ribbon pig) is designed to make other players giggle.

There's also a tiefling CW called Scamp who is bad at everything, a drow rogue called 24601 and a dragonborn warlock because I honestly thought it was a good idea to spend £30 real money making sure all of my characters had plenty of bag space.

E: Just to clarify this is all meant in the spirit of gentle ribbing. I played this game for well over two years and loved it, still love coming back for events once the muscle memory kicks in.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jun 24, 2018

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I have no idea how to use load outs.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Don't buy the Voninblod gear, next week it's changing over to Chult gear which is way more powerful and doesn't require upkeep.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

That sounds good. Is that PC only or is that PS4 as well?

rodbeard posted:

I have no idea how to use load outs.
Each loadout has different equipped gear, powers, feats, boons, active companions, mount bonuses and quickslots. You can switch between them at the click of a button.

So the way I used mine on my DC for example is to have one loadout for group heal-over-time/buffs as AC, and one for DPS soloing as Oracle. That way I can wander round epic dungeons spam healing my team and making sure they absolutely do not die ever.

But soloing (which is how I play 90% of the content), most of those skills and feats are useless, so I switch to Oracle so I can DPS enemies down quickly.

I haven't done this for my GWF yet, but I imagine i'll probably end up with one loadout for balls-out DPS fun and a more cautious defensive build for higher level stuff.

PsychoLordling
May 13, 2008

If you can read this Sarah Palin's dick must have fallen out of my mouth. Please return it to it's proper position.

I said come in! posted:

This is all really good advice too. I actually need to still get bonding runestones.... :P But for what it's worth my item level is 10,200 now and I have 20,000 power.

bondigns are great for stacking crit/recovery as well as the bonus the stones in grant.

PsychoLordling
May 13, 2008

If you can read this Sarah Palin's dick must have fallen out of my mouth. Please return it to it's proper position.
any active Neverwinter guild on PC?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Bobby Deluxe posted:

That sounds good. Is that PC only or is that PS4 as well?

It's part of the huge Module 13 content update, it launches for all platforms on Tuesday.

PsychoLordling posted:

No active goon guilds. I joined a random guild/alliance myself and that is how i've been learning a lot about the game. I'm up to item level 11,500 now but still have a long ways to go. So much gear to upgrade. :P

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

I started playing this over the anniversary as well, enjoying it more than I expected. Started a Paladin that is 60 and a Hunter Ranger at 26. Had a Trickster Rogue from when it launched but for some reason bounced off the game back then.

PsychoLordling posted:

Not sure enough still play but I noticed that I am in a chat channel called dndgoons that was created back at launch, if I recall it was because there were too many goons playing to fit into one guild, ahh goon mmo launches, the best.

Those that still play could use that chat channel to shoot the poo poo in game at least, doubt there are enough playing to bother with a guild.

Siddhartha Glutamate
Oct 3, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I started playing this over the event as well, and find it to be pretty fun. Playing a Dwarven GWF, which at first proved to be unstoppable, but now is having a hard time taking on things 5 or so levels lower than he is. I think this is because I haven't slotted any gems into any gear let alone upgraded any of them. I'm afraid I will make a mistake and spend a bunch of RP or AD on an item that will be useless, then have to waste a ton of time grinding more RP and AD.

Are there any suggestions for a newb level 56 GWF?

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
Slot your best Azures into utility slots for the exp bonus, and don't worry about any of the rest until you reach level 70. Find a guild, even a bad one, since guild dailies really help leveling.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ravenloft is live now, but I am having trouble logging in. Not unexpected though, large patch days for MMOs is always a mess.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I keep checking in to see if they reveal what that "Coming soon!" class that's been on the character creation screen forever is going to be. Maybe next expansion

I tooled around with this game a bit and liked it, but not quite enough to want to sink MMO-levels of time into it when there are other games to play (and things to do in life outside of video games sometimes). I'm glad there's a thread again for it at least though. The profession system seemed neat. Too many currencies though (and I never even got near endgame).

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I've tried and bounced off this game a dozen times but I just got an email about Ravenloft and

man

Ravenloft

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Since I'm a lifer with Champs Online and STO, I figured to give this a try despite not really clicking with DDO. I've been playing on and off for a bit, have a level 60 something Tiefling Warlock and a level 13 Drow Paladin. I've been enjoying it so far as a casual futz around game. I do like it better than DDO. Going from the last Neverwinter thread, I figured there was no goon presence anymore so I've just been bsing with the goons in STO since the chat's shared between the Cryptic games.

I have looked at what builds are out there just to make sure I'm at least not making questing harder than it should be, but it's like trying to find recent build info for Champs Online with how much info out there's outdated.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

There have been a lot of changes, yeah. Adding 2018 to the end of your search generally helps find recent posts from reddit rather than arguments on gamefaqs from three years ago.

Also I agree - Ravenloft tho. Gonna get my goth on when it hits consoles.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I only started playing because of ravenloft. Is there a time frame for the PS4 version?

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

https://nw.mmominds.com/ seems to have relatively up to date build guides.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Fried Sushi posted:

https://nw.mmominds.com/ seems to have relatively up to date build guides.

That's the one I've been mostly following. If a proper goon guild ends up happening, I'd be up to join. My best luck with guilds tend to be either goons or people I actually know and hang with.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

rodbeard posted:

I only started playing because of ravenloft. Is there a time frame for the PS4 version?
1-2 months usually. You might be able to get a character to 70 by then, so you can enjoy it as soon as it comes out.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

You can honestly get to 70 in a weekend, like 5 days of casual playing even. It's super easy. The real grind comes after that. You absolutely won't get to do Ravenloft anytime soon though, it requires an item level of 13,000 which is going to take a few months. But if this is anything like Chult then 13,000 isn't going to cut it either.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I said come in! posted:

It's part of the huge Module 13 content update, it launches for all platforms on Tuesday.
Just to update you, nothing seems to have changed seals-wise on PS4. We're still getting defender/adventurer, so we're still stuck with the Ostorian bullshit.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jun 28, 2018

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

My apologies, Ravenloft has not launched yet for consoles, only PC.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Well I just hit 9000 so I need another 4000 item level to be able to do the ravenloft stuff.

PsychoLordling
May 13, 2008

rodbeard posted:

Well I just hit 9000 so I need another 4000 item level to be able to do the ravenloft stuff.

you get a full set of ‘stuff’ once you visit the ravenloft area.
with that equipment the grind for boons are easy, but time consuming none the less.

depeneing on class, IL 9000 should be able to stay alive in a party in both chult and ravenloft..., but with IL that low, focusing on boons for earlier mods should be priority, and easy solo with ravenloft free stuff.

a mount with wanderers fortune is very nice for leveling up your equipment.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

So I just bought the Chult weapons from the auction house, and it very briefly flashed something up on screen (amid the collections garbage) about being able to carry over progress from old artefact equipment. The problem is that it wasn't on screen long enough for me to read it, so O don't know how.

How do?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
This is the only of the cryptic trio of STO/CO/this I don't have a lifetime sub to because by the time I heard about it was not gonna get hosed again, but now I hear these motherfuckers have Drow and Ravenloft and poo poo and now I think I've slept on the actual good game, haven't I? How big a pain am I looking at if I hop in with no knowledge/characters/whatever.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I don't think Neverwinter launched with a monthly subscription, it was free to play right out of the gate. Their previous MMORPGs had a monthly sub though.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Why is everyone in the random dungeons queue always so much faster than me? I thought after hitting 70 I'd be able to keep up with them but every day it's a slow stroll through a dungeon someone's already completed.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
Darks in utility slots. Some of the people I've done endgame stuff with can book around dungeons at insane speeds, and for melee types or tanks that may be good for more than just kill-stealing.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

rodbeard posted:

Why is everyone in the random dungeons queue always so much faster than me? I thought after hitting 70 I'd be able to keep up with them but every day it's a slow stroll through a dungeon someone's already completed.

They are all whales that spent hundreds of dollars on their characters. I have an item level of 11,800 and I still can't keep up.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

sexpig by night posted:

This is the only of the cryptic trio of STO/CO/this I don't have a lifetime sub to because by the time I heard about it was not gonna get hosed again, but now I hear these motherfuckers have Drow and Ravenloft and poo poo and now I think I've slept on the actual good game, haven't I?
I was a big fan of forgotten realms all the way back to the Baldur's Gate / Icewind Dale games, so I was stoked to accidentally come across this when I got a PS4. It's good, and kind of reminds me of vanilla WoW a bit, but it does have that annoying f2p broken stair aspect where the tutorial and random npcs refer to systems that were cut or changed several patches ago, or there are things that the community knows are broken but the game never tells players, like the year or so where one of the DC's best skills didn't work at all.

Be patient with it, remember it's free, google anything you don't understand and you'll probably have fun.

sexpig by night posted:

How big a pain am I looking at if I hop in with no knowledge/characters/whatever.
Not too much. At first the bag space seems horrible and nothing makes sense, but you get free bags from the first few zones and eventually combat for your chosen class will start to click. Get one class to 70 before making alts or you'll get content burnout - I can't even look at neverdeath graveyard any more.

If you do start to get into it you can buy VIP which gives you some mildly useful stuff, but the big thing is the free lockbox keys you get. Buy a few Runic lockboxes off the tradehouse (most of the others have something called the adventurers pack which drops too often and is frankly insulting) and by the end if the month, selling the contents on the tradehouse should get you enough astral diamonds to convert to zen and buy another month of VIP.

Thranguy posted:

Darks in utility slots. Some of the people I've done endgame stuff with can book around dungeons at insane speeds, and for melee types or tanks that may be good for more than just kill-stealing.
Brutals are also good since they split movement / XP, and overlevelling past 70 often gives you Opals you can sell on the auction house and extra power points.

Also Warlocks and GWFs can run instead of dashing, so if you have a paladin it can be a real pig to keep up.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Jul 5, 2018

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

I said come in! posted:

I don't think Neverwinter launched with a monthly subscription, it was free to play right out of the gate. Their previous MMORPGs had a monthly sub though.

Closest thing is that VIP system they've got and to my knowledge, they've never had lifetime subs as an option. Considering I went lifer on STO and Champs years back when they were on sale, they've pretty much paid for themselves at this point.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Never played Champions, but I still log back into STO when there's free ships to be had, and to try and catch up on converting my dilithuim ore backlog into Zen so I can stockpile T6 ships. Just bought the Temporal Raider for my Klingon, so next up is the Romulan, then my TOS.

Kind of like how every winter I end up getting dragged back into Neverwinter for the winterfest, and then selling the loot on the auction house in about February when the prices settle back down. Thanks to last year I have about 650k AD and rising, mostly from my stockpiles of unbound preservation wards & scrolls of mass life.

Between waiting for Warframe's new update and the Ravenloft stuff, I don't think I've actually bought any AAA titles in the last year apart from Destiny 2.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Never played Champions, but I still log back into STO when there's free ships to be had, and to try and catch up on converting my dilithuim ore backlog into Zen so I can stockpile T6 ships. Just bought the Temporal Raider for my Klingon, so next up is the Romulan, then my TOS.

Kind of like how every winter I end up getting dragged back into Neverwinter for the winterfest, and then selling the loot on the auction house in about February when the prices settle back down. Thanks to last year I have about 650k AD and rising, mostly from my stockpiles of unbound preservation wards & scrolls of mass life.

Between waiting for Warframe's new update and the Ravenloft stuff, I don't think I've actually bought any AAA titles in the last year apart from Destiny 2.

So what you are saying is you haven't bought any AAA titles (at least until it launches in September)?

Switched from Paladin to Hunter Ranger last week for my first character to focus on and finally got through Elemental Evil yesterday. Started up Maze Engine and Sharandar last night, so far liking the vibe of those better than the Elemental Evil stuff. Looking forward to some of the more current Modules once I get there.

I am kinda surprised by the scope of this game, has way more content and ideas than I expected, when I played back at launch it was just the relatively generic campaigns and the big thing was people making Foundry stuff. I do wish they still had the gateway app so I could level crafting while away from the game cause that seems like its going to take a long as time.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Foundry is #1 on my wishlist for console. I would probably never stop playing if they brought it out, but they seem to have given up somewhere along the line.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Fried Sushi posted:

Started up Maze Engine and Sharandar last night, so far liking the vibe of those better than the Elemental Evil stuff. Looking forward to some of the more current Modules once I get there.

I pretty much ignored campaigns other than the one that gives the bag space until recently. I half started the Maze Engine but am way too low geared so I've been doing the Dragon Cult one. Yeah, it's a bit grindy but I'll see what I can get out of it and move onto the next one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

M_Sinistrari posted:

I pretty much ignored campaigns other than the one that gives the bag space until recently. I half started the Maze Engine but am way too low geared so I've been doing the Dragon Cult one. Yeah, it's a bit grindy but I'll see what I can get out of it and move onto the next one.

If you do the intro Ravenloft quests you get a set of 460 gear that can get you through at least the earlier modules. Takes about 10 minutes and you can totally avoid any combat so a fresh 70 can do it no problem.