Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
ONCE YOU POP THE FUN DONT STOP
How much money do you realistically have to pay for this game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

You don't. There are very few blocks to progress until you want to upgrade your enchantments past rank 8, and by that point you will have had so much playtime you really should think about paying the developers for the time you've enjoyed.

There are a few things that'll make life easier, like a month of VIP; even if you don't use the items you get from the lockboxes, you can sell them on the auction house. There's the dragonborn pack that gives a free artefact and huge bag to every character you create. Epic mounts also account for a huge quality-of-life upgrade.

You can easily get to 70 and endgame readiness without spending a penny though.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I went whale mode on this game and don't regret it. Bought over a year worth of VIP, the expensive inventory expansion space, and boon unlocks like a stupid fool. Don't regret it even though i'm pretty much taking a long break from the game right now.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
ONCE YOU POP THE FUN DONT STOP
That's cool, then.

All the campaigns are timegated behind an endless daily grind, right? I've only experienced the first one, tyranny of dragons so far.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Edit: Nevermind, cryptic fixed it, I'm dumb.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

PriNGLeS posted:

All the campaigns are timegated behind an endless daily grind, right? I've only experienced the first one, tyranny of dragons so far.
Sort of. Most of the campaigns are connected to particular zones where's there's a limited number of daily missions that give you the campaign currencies, so there is sort of a limit on how many you can earn.

Once one character has gotten through a campaign, they can spend 50k ad to send a patronage token to an alt that will let them get through the campaign twice as fast.

Tyranny of Dragons takes a lot longer than the other campaigns - essentially it comprises two parts: an introduction to the concept of campaigns that you can start from level 25. The second part starts once you hit 70 and can get to the well of dragons to get your hands on the currencies you need to complete the upper tier of tasks.

Most campaigns progress at a fairly decent speed. The dailies rotate, so if you can't play every day you can stack them and do two or three days worth at once.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Huge changes coming in the next mod to dungeon chests / keys / salvage / AD:

https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter/#/discussion/1242710/salvage-and-dungeon-chests

I was wondering when they'd fix keys. I'm on console, we just got Ravenloft, and I think less than half of the dungeons in rotation use the epic keys, but I get 3 of them a day from the VIP that was free with PS+.

The economy is also completely out of whack right now. Nobody knows how to price anything on the AH, i'm sitting on over a million AD and nobody (literally nobody at all on PS4) is selling Zen.

It really feels like at the moment it's at a bizarre midpoint, and even if the new system sucks it will at least be a complete system.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
Also doesn't help a huge portion of the player base got perma-banned, temp banned or all AD/Rough AD deleted.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I feel like that's the wrong way to approach things, banning everyone for 'abusing' the glitch and deleting any discussion of it from the forums and subreddit.

Clearly the reason people went crazy over it was because it reflected a balance issue. Kind of like how in the early days of GTA Online, the only way to make any money was to wait until a new car dupe glitch was published, abuse the gently caress out of it, and then hope that the money was untraceable afterwards.

On the other hand you have games like Warframe, where movement glitches end up becoming features, and they have a far healthier attitude of 'ok you got us, have fun with it but we will be patching this as soon as we're able.'

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

What happened?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

rodbeard posted:

What happened?
There was a glitch with the Barovia hunts that people were abusing.

https://blog.nwo-uncensored.com/heres-what-that-hunt-exploit-in-module-14-was-all-about/

Probably fine to share it now it's been patched, but a lot of people seem to have either been banned or had their AD reset over it.

A number of them are claiming they joined in with hunts (open world events) only to later get punished for being involved with the glitch.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012
Its almost like exploiting a known bug isn't always a very smart thing to do.
Anyone temp banned (fairly sure no one was actually perma banned, people just love to overreact) for a weekend over this knew what they where doing, seeing as bravoria hunts are instanced content that you have to manually group for but the overreaction from people over this sure is hilarious.

Cryptic and the game has many issues, but slapping people using cheats/exploits on the writs with temp bans isn't one of em.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Choyi posted:

seeing as bravoria hunts are instanced content that you have to manually group for
I thought they were like heroics where you could just wander into one in progress? I haven't done much Barovia except claiming the free gear.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I thought they were like heroics where you could just wander into one in progress? I haven't done much Barovia except claiming the free gear.

Nah, the barovia hunts are completely instanced, and party leader also needs an item to start any hunt, so anyone saying they got banned cause they did it accidently is just full of poo poo.

Behotti
Apr 30, 2008
Fun Shoe
I'm just diving into this game with 2 of my friends. I'm contemplating starting a guild once I get my friends to level 15(yep just starting), I have no idea what I'm doing but if there is interest here I'll try and make it happen.

Edit: Should probably specify we're playing on PC...

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

I just started as well. Post your ingame name and I'll hit you up.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Behotti posted:

I'm just diving into this game with 2 of my friends. I'm contemplating starting a guild once I get my friends to level 15(yep just starting), I have no idea what I'm doing but if there is interest here I'll try and make it happen.

Edit: Should probably specify we're playing on PC...

If a guild starts up, I'm happy to join and contribute as I can.

Behotti
Apr 30, 2008
Fun Shoe
Im in as behotti@behotti#7158

Chapenbuffet
Feb 21, 2009
I'm in as elderyarn@slothparty#6817. New player bumbling around, hit me up.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
Just noticed I can nab a free month of Vip with my PSN+. How well does this handle with a PS4 controller? Taking a small break from FFXIV, and that felt like second nature on a pad.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Playing it is very easy, and feels pretty natural. Certain aspects of the UI are a little fiddly because of the compensating for the lack of mouse, but usually it tells you what to press to get where you need to go.

Rojo_Sombrero
May 8, 2006
I ebayed my EQ account and all I got was an SA account

M_Sinistrari posted:

If a guild starts up, I'm happy to join and contribute as I can.

I thought I had invite powers for the old goon guild Something Lawful but apparently I don't

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
This voice acting is dreadful, aaaaaah

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011
Did the guild coalesce?

Pyrocat
Oct 31, 2006
not a furry
This game is pretty fun up to level 70.

I'm still having some fun post-70 but holy poo poo the amount of grind to do any of the campaigns is absolutely gross. I mean, like, dedicated second job, re-running content for weeks on end, hundreds of different currencies, gross. It feels disrespectful to the player.

I think I will try and enjoy as much of the endgame as I can without endlessly re-running repeatable quests. I see that drying up pretty quick with many things being locked behind item level requirements (and thus requiring the boons you get from finishing campaigns). You know there's a problem when you start to seriously consider paying $20 (each!) for the privilege of skipping their campaigns just to get the boons.

...the Halloween broom mount looks pretty cool though.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

As soon as you get to 70, do the intro quest to the Ravenloft campaign. You get a full set of 460 IL gear which trivialises the other campaigns, and a free set of artefact weapons.

It gives you enough power to do the intermediate queues, then you can spend the seals from that on the 500 IL gear from the seal vendor, which opens up the advanced queue and get strong enough to start doing barovia hunts and get the 540 IL gear.

As for the amount of work required for the campaigns, stack your quests. In most campaigns there are different quests available on different days, so log in, go pick up the daily quests, but don't do them. Do the queues for AD, use it to buy upgrades off the AH or Zen store, and then if you have time, do whichever module you have 3 days worth of quests built up on.

Don't try to do multiple campaigns every day, you'll drive yourself insane and burn out fast. Do the daily queues, salvage your loot, go to one campaign, do three days worth of dailies. If you still have time after that, take an alt through the levelling queue.

Try not to look at campaign progress, it'll always seem a frustratingly long way off. Just do your dailies, hand in any currencies you get and concentrate on AD.

E: get a mount with Wanderers Fortune as soon as you can convert enough AD to Zen. It gives you free refining gems just for playing normally and is a huge help for levelling up your artefact weapons. If you buy it from the Zen store your alts can also use it, along with the much faster saddle.

https://two30.github.io/neverwinter-insignia/?17

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Oct 22, 2018

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Haerc posted:

Did the guild coalesce?

If it ever does, I'm Luci Archangelo@Amedea and Django Riix@Amedea

Behotti
Apr 30, 2008
Fun Shoe

Haerc posted:

Did the guild coalesce?

I still want to make it, just haven't had 5 people on at the same time to do it.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Behotti posted:

I still want to make it, just haven't had 5 people on at the same time to do it.

Since I've been on more in Champions Online lately because of Bloodmoon, either shoot me a tell and I'll switch over or just let me know a day and time range to be over on Neverwinter.

Pyrocat
Oct 31, 2006
not a furry
Wow.

This game finally disrespected me enough for me to uninstall it.

The halloween mount is pretty cool and I went into the event knowing I would have to grind for it. I figured I could semi afk and grind while watching something, or if all else failed pay :10bux: for it. I wasn't prepared for just how colossally stupidly it was designed.

The most optimal path to get the broom mount is to run around Protector's Enclave with your mount, interacting with glowing pumpkins to get a token. You can carry a max of 5 tokens at a time. Why 5? No reason. To turn them in you have to go around to a mix of wandering and static npcs in the zone to turn them in, one at a time. This rewards you with bags that contain random amounts of the currency you need. I did this for three hours. I was bored out of my mind. Why? Why can't you just go to one npc to do turn ins? Why do the npcs randomly go on cooldown periods where you cannot turn anything in? The only reason I could possibly fathom is they want to draw out the length of this "quest", and by forcing you to run around, perhaps the stupidest of their playerbase might confuse that with "fun".

It gets worse. Other players interacting with the pumpkins before you get to them will "steal" them, making the pumpkin disappear for a certain amount of time. So you're constantly encouraged to avoid other players and go to the instances with the least amount of people. Exactly what I want from an MMO. Players can ALSO steal the loot from your pinatas. What are pinatas? Oh, I'm so glad you asked. Pinatas are what took the event from "stupid and painful chore" to "gently caress this whole entire game forever".

Pinatas are a rare drop from the bags you're getting as a reward for this stupid quest. I got around 1 pinata ever 10 bags. Other people said they got them 1 "every few", or "1 in 40". Pinatas drop random food junk that fills up your inventory, and very, very, very rarely the ONE ITEM YOU NEED TO BUY THE MOUNT THAT YOU CANNOT PURCHASE OR GRIND FOR. How rare? People in chat were saying "I have been doing this for 7 hours straight and have not gotten one" and "it took me over 100 pinatas to get one". I played for 3 hours and got 11 pinatas.

This entire quest is bottlenecked by an extremely rare RNG, locked behind yet another layer of rare RNG. Oh, and there's also a 2 minute cooldown timer on opening the loving pinata. You can buy the normal halloween currency, which, by the time you get the bottleneck, you are basically guaranteed to be rich with. Why not allow people to buy the bottleneck? Why not just provide a progress bar? You can keep the RNG bags but just have them reward random amounts of currency so you can at least say "well I'm making progress". I am not going to keep grinding this mind-numbing "activity" for a 3% chance every hour.

I cannot stress this enough, in a free to play MMO, they bottlenecked the most desirable item behind something you cannot pay money for.

edit: I'm not exaggerating, another quote (from reddit)

quote:

300 pinatas and no sash. I'm not even kidding, I did almost 200 of my own and then friends did theirs too. I tried in groups/out of groups and still nothing. Ten hours just wasted, I really wanted to give the event a fair chance but they really screwed the players on this one. I can't wait to see what ends up happening to the winter festival, I already know the fishing rod is snapped and maybe that's enough. For once I'm seriously considering moving onto another game, bad RNG is one thing but almost everyone was excited about that event for that broom and now very few will get it. It won't be for lack of trying either because getting the other pieces to restore it will take hours of effort, running around PE in circles with no pay off isn't fun. At this point they should have just made it a Zen mount and saved everyone the trouble and frustration.

Pyrocat fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Oct 24, 2018

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012
Game has some good and fun parts, but its mostly trash, especially for anyone playing from EU since there is only a NA server available, not only is ping real bad but the frequent maintenances always happen during EU prime times.

Biggest issue you run into at level cap is an insurmountable grind to get caught up to end game, where the rich players only get richer and a new players just can't progress at a decent rate without spending tons of $$$ or having decked out friends who can carry them.
As mentioned in a post above the grind for campaign boons is also very bad and repetitive with no shortcuts available besides spending $20 for a token to skip them, and thats per campaign, and you can't skip out on the boons, you will need them to be end game ready.

Also the community in random instance groups is among the most toxic I've encountered since WoW, and the new player experience running and dungeon with randoms is terrible due to how the level sync does nothing and high level people just rush the dungeon without newbies having a chance to catch up or participate in any of the fights.

Yet I keep playing this garbage, send help!

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Choyi posted:

Biggest issue you run into at level cap is an insurmountable grind to get caught up to end game,
All you have to do is kill about 10 werewolves (or run away while the NPCs kill them), talk to some gypsies, and boom; full set of 460 gear which will let you curbstomp most of the other modules. Granted this is not advertised and is mostly a tip passed round by the community, but I can tell you as someone who got a CW to 70 this month, you can absolutely walk into the Barovia intro quest in Sharandar greens & blues and survive long enough to get the free gear.

It actually surprised me that they'd do this, because it completely destroys the grind you were talking about. The idea was supposed to be that you hit 70, you do the levelling queue until your gear score is high enough to do the intermediate queue, then the advanced. Slowly getting more powerful at the end of each day was kind of fun.

Now, you do one quest and you can scrape your way into the intermediate queue, and none of the stuff you get from the queues is better than what you already have, or what you can get from the seal vendor. It then becomes more about saving up your astral diamonds and either converting them to Zen or buying stuff off the auction house, and getting the extra iLevel from campaign and guild boons.

The thing to bear is mind though is that this is F2P. With any F2P game you have to think of it as a huge demo, and if you want to keep playing and get the full experience, at some point you're going to have to pay the devs. They're not running Neverwinter as a charity. The grind, and the pinch driving players toward paying is nowhere near as bad as it used to be.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012
You can do the Barovia quest as a naked level 70 without any fighting, I know that, I've done it on alts myself that way, its a decent set to get started at early 70 stuff but doesn't get you too far.

The issue starts after getting 11k item level(after grinding primal gear and hunts) you are at a brick wall, sure you can que for advanced at that ilvl but people will either drop cause they see low ilvl person in the group or you get stuck with 4 more people with same ilvl in a dungeon balanced for people around 13k ilvl and you will have no chance to complete it in a reasonable time, or even at all.

And just because they campaigns are easy to complete quests in doesn't mean it isn't super tedious and extremely repetitive, you'd figure they'd at least have one easy to access dungeon per campaign to let offer alternative to grind campaign currency rather then only daily quests but nope(chult being the only real exception I think?), like if i have to chase that stupid Yeti down in Stormkings campaign for the 50th time with no variations I'd rather just play another game instead.

Getting just the 100k ad cap each day with only leveling and intermediate roulettes available requires far too much grind, and you do need the AD to invest in companions, enchants, runestones as well as artifact upgrade materials to raise ilvl beyond primal/hunt gear (at full hunt gear you will be just about 11k with a couple boons), its the only way to keep advancing the ilvl to be strong enough to do the content where such items drops and to be able to do the higher ilvl roulettes for more easy daily AD.

I'm fully aware that f2p games needs to make money, but there are far better ways to keep players around, just as an example two of the friends I went in with already gave up once they experienced how terrible the grind was at level 70, and i know those two both would gladly have spent $$$ on cosmetics, bags, mounts etc if they stuck around since they've done the same in other games we played before, hell they even spent rl moneys while we where leveling up in NW but decided the end game just wasn't worth half a year of grinding to get too.

Personally I'm just braindamaged enough to keep grinding, but its very frustrating when you get almost no progress for countless of hours spent trying to improve your character just to get a chance to see the actual end game.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012
And while I'm on a ranting spree, one of my biggest issues with the game(and especially daily quests)is how so many quests items and mobs aren't personal, so you compete with everyone else for them INCLUDING fellow party members as very few quests share progress with the rest of the party even if you have the same quests.

Like I could understand if it was like that as a enticement for people to team up, but since so many quests doesn't share properly or at all in a party it doesn't make any sense, and its not even consistent either, randomly one odd quest out of like twenty can be share progress in a party, it just drives me up the wall.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I guess the thing with the free Barovia gear is that it highlights how little organisation there is around the endgame climb.

You would think that you'd get to 70, then you're at tier 1 - so the dungeons give you tier 1 armour and then when you have enough, you move up to tier 2, then 3 and so on. But instead, all of the tiers give you the same seal, which you use to buy the second highest tier of gear. And you get a free set of gear which trivialises four or five of the modules anyway.

Syrophenikan
Aug 17, 2010
Fun Shoe
Is there a goon guild for this game? I'm enjoying the heck out of it.

Behotti
Apr 30, 2008
Fun Shoe

Syrophenikan posted:

Is there a goon guild for this game? I'm enjoying the heck out of it.

I tried to get one going but I wasn't able to get it off the ground. :saddowns:

Now my attentions have shifted to a more :clint: game.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Sadly not. Attempts were made but there just isn't the interest in this game on SA. I've mode onto other games myself. :/ The end game grind got to be too much for me after 6 months.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

I know it didn't help with me on at odd hours to be able to form a guild when everyone else was on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tinydryad
Aug 13, 2004

This newb claimed by ChlamydiaJones; remember, bad things happen in theaters sometimes.

Hey, thanks for the tips about getting gear from the Ravenloft intro. Very helpful. My friends and I are playing some again after walking away in 2015. It's sad that all my tier 2 gear from 4 years ago is garbage now, but so it goes.

The guild stronghold seems kinda cool, but we have like 3 people active in the guild so we're pretty much hosed, right? We built a lumberyard, so now we have a crapload of lumber, and just about nothing else. Haha.