Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

They both are developing 1000-yard stares. They must be exhausted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Deteriorata posted:

They both are developing 1000-yard stares. They must be exhausted.

Yeah, they've been playing against themselves instead of each other since 14-13. Williams seems to have slightly more left in him, although that red Hawkins just took shows it's not foregone.

Also congrats on making page 2, I don't think we did last year.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
You spoke too soon there. Higgins is going to clean up in the final against either of these if they play like this

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

i wonder if higgins is watching this or if he's already tucked up in bed. at this rate they might still be playing at tomoorow breakfast.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Williams leads for the first time in the match, Hawkins has run out of steam

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

hawkins in first, and its a good chance

e - nope he underhit that last shot and doesn't look comfortable with the rest

HappyCamperGL fucked around with this message at 23:14 on May 5, 2018

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
He's completely lost it

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Neither of these guys is worth a drat anymore.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I dread to think what the quality of a 33rd frame would be, they're both knackered

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

williams does it! amazing match.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
gently caress me. It's 2018 and the Crucible final is Higgins vs Williams. Combined age of 85

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Tsaedje posted:

gently caress me. It's 2018 and the Crucible final is Higgins vs Williams. Combined age of 85

You can't argue that they're both still top players, though. Williams was thinking of retiring, apparently, but this season has put the kibosh on that regardless I suspect.

Quote from John Higgins:

"[Williams] is bald, I am grey, so it will be a mental final."

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
Hell of a final few frames last night, thought Hawkins would have enough as he had the more recent/relevant experience, but in the end he lost that as much as Williams won it. Always liked Mark so glad he's made the final, but at the time I thought the winner of Higgins-Trump would lift the title, and it'd take a monumental effort to change that.

Also, spare a thought for poor old Barry Hearn, who's trying his hardest to bring the game into the 21st century, and promote it around the world (read: China), but he's ended up with an old man final straight out of the 70s.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

https://twitter.com/markwil147/status/992935720577847296

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

HJB posted:

Hell of a final few frames last night, thought Hawkins would have enough as he had the more recent/relevant experience, but in the end he lost that as much as Williams won it. Always liked Mark so glad he's made the final, but at the time I thought the winner of Higgins-Trump would lift the title, and it'd take a monumental effort to change that.

Is this monumental enough for you?

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Is it the kebab or the Galaxy Minstrels do you reckon? I mean, if he can keep it up for another 14 frames then fair enough.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

over night lead of 10-7 for williams.

should be a good one tomorrow, and my boss just texted to say i can work from home... :rms:

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

This is turning into a bizarre anti-climax.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

HJB posted:

This is turning into a bizarre anti-climax.

I know, seven in a row and Higgins just hasn't been there today. Honestly I'm starting to believe Williams will win with a session to spare. That hasn't happened since 1993.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Higgins wins one, so we are guaranteed something tonight at least.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

And now he's on a maximum....

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

John Higgins has apparently run out of fucks to give.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Time to bring out a classic meme for this nostalgia-fest: Higgins gonna Higg.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Killer and Born Slippy, I'm raving, snooker style. Here we go.

That'll be Terminator mode active, then.

HJB fucked around with this message at 20:18 on May 7, 2018

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Deffo game on now

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
This is just nuts, it could easily go the full distance now

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

"Two guys in their 40s, this will be a final from the 1970s, so boring, Barry Hearn must be in tears". loving hell.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

TBF I've not actually seen that argument outside of a satirical post on a comedy forum.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.
I'm watching this and still completely incredulous that the match is still, somehow, going.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Pvt. Public posted:

I'm watching this and still completely incredulous that the match is still, somehow, going.

Most people watching this are incredulous that Mark Williams' career is still somehow going.

Fun fact: whoever wins tonight will set a new record for longest span of world titles in the modern game, which is currently 13 years held by Higgins. If Higgins wins, he will set the all time record, beating Joe Davis's span of 1927-46 by a single year.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
What a loving clearance

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Was about to mention the final they just referenced where Williams was past the winning post, and still lost.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Tsaedje posted:

What a loving clearance

Under pressure, that was amazing. I don't know anyone else who could have done it.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I'm at work (US) and sitting here glued to my monitors mumbling "Go on, John" when someone walks by my office and asks what's going on and I attempt to explain snooker to him while never looking away from the screen.

Mark is looking good here, again, though. Solid start and so many open reds. Surely he won't bottle it again?

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
He's missed the brown!

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

gently caress's sake, Mark!

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Cor blimey, what a story.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

What a match that was.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Welsh potting machine!