Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

I've thought he was a piece of poo poo since he referred to the fans who critiqued the S6 cliffhanger as "spoiled children who don't want to wait until Christmas to open their presents."

It was more like being handed a present on Christmas and being told you have to wait until June to open it, you loving tool.

Anyway, I read the full article and I'm so happy for her that she got out of that mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Will Gimple be the next..?

I hope not, because I don't want there to exist anymore victims, but if the world turns out to be the horrible place I suspect it to be based on what I've seen so far, and Gimple is a part of that, watching him go down will give me some amount of satisfaction.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
One wonders if Frank Darabont is somewhere laughing as this whole thing burns to the ground and all of AMC's lovely karma comes due at once.

As far as Hadwick, "And nothing of value was lost."

Cactus posted:

Will Gimple be the next..?

The only thing I think Gimple's abused is intelligent thought and people's careers

I could see him furiously jacking off to the idea of randomly writing someone out though

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Blazing Ownager posted:

One wonders if Frank Darabont is somewhere laughing as this whole thing burns to the ground and all of AMC's lovely karma comes due at once.

As far as Hadwick, "And nothing of value was lost."

The only thing I think Gimple's abused is intelligent thought and people's careers

I could see him furiously jacking off to the idea of randomly writing someone out though

e: Jesus christ there's so many of these that are meta lmao. I'll stop with this one.

Barreft fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jun 16, 2018

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Barreft posted:

e: Jesus christ there's so many of these that are meta lmao. I'll stop with this one.

I do appreciate them since I am absolutely going to need to do a Gimpletastic OP edit when this off the rails on fire train comes crashing to the ground in a few months..

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
When the Vultures decided to go Hawks and used a ton of zombies to attack the stadium, it occurred to me that they could have done an incredibly cool way to redeem their cast instead of just rebooting their personalities into whatever they wanted for their "grand story" which fell super flat.

I would have had the season start with the crew being a bunch of assholes, but then visit upon them all the bad things they'd done to other people. Each episode essentially being rehashes of the first 3 seasons but being on the other side. And having the characters really realize and understand just what their actions were. They weren't the actions of desperate people, half the stuff they did they absolutely did not need to, they were the actions of immoral monsters, and through this they decide that they need to be better, that if the world is to continue it can't just be the monsters who survive. You could have slowly pulled the cast back from the brink, while also making an interesting set of commentary and callback to the previous seasons that you want to distance yourself from.

I think maybe I just would have liked if the Vulture Brother walked up to the gates, had Madison tell him to stop or I'll shoot, then get told "I'd save your bullets" as the horde comes into view.

Or you could just give everyone a totally unearned shift in personality. I guess that counts as writing too.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Acacia REI posted:

I've thought he was a piece of poo poo since he referred to the fans who critiqued the S6 cliffhanger as "spoiled children who don't want to wait until Christmas to open their presents."

It was more like being handed a present on Christmas and being told you have to wait until June to open it, you loving tool.

Anyway, I read the full article and I'm so happy for her that she got out of that mess.

They kept citing the Star Trek two-parter where Picard gets turned into a Borg as a precedent, but that two-parter didn't have 15 minutes of story dragged out into 60 minutes combined with pulling a "someone dies, but you don't know who because the camera switches to first-person POV for the first time in the series" stunt. Moreover, the fifth season ended with the cliffhanger of them being trapped in a railroad boxcar and most of the same people thought that was great

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

galenanorth posted:

They kept citing the Star Trek two-parter where Picard gets turned into a Borg as a precedent, but that two-parter didn't have 15 minutes of story dragged out into 60 minutes combined with pulling a "someone dies, but you don't know who because the camera switches to first-person POV for the first time in the series" stunt. Moreover, the fifth season ended with the cliffhanger of them being trapped in a railroad boxcar and most of the same people thought that was great

That's such a bad comparison for several reasons. Not only was that effective as a cliffhanger, Patrick Stewart was legitimately considering leaving the show at that point. It was written like that in case Frakes needed to take the show over in the following episode; he ultimately liked that season and decided to stay and thus he survived. Not a lot of people realize that wasn't for cheap drama and there was an extremely real chance he'd been written out there, at the actor's request.

The Cliffhanger "who died" aspect isn't what murdered the infamous bat scene. It was the fact it ruined the emotional punch. If it had ended on a broken corpse and rage in everyone's eyes it'd been a million times more effective than trying to drag it out. The way they didn't wasn't for suspense, it was the TV version of watering something down.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Acacia REI posted:

Not really. It was more like being handed the Present in Christmas, being told "It's a pair of socks," and then having to wait to Christmas to open it anyway.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Alright so since there's really nothing to talk about and Blazing's OPs own and he's asking for Gimple, he's a few more good ones. What the gently caress he does the eyebrow thing all the time.

And what appears to be a mugshot:

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Jesus, he looks like he’s trying to pull that ‘DreamWorks smug face’ in all those pics.

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jun 17, 2018

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Y'all just jealous because he gets to hang out with these cute girls.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Okay looking for Gimples for Blazing has broken my mind, why does he do this in every picture

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
His facial expressions are Trump-like. That explains a lot.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Gimple buys an X-Wing tie instead of a Tie Fighter tie. What an idiot

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Now we need the ultimate: Gimple and Hardwick

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Astroman posted:

Now we need the ultimate: Gimple and Hardwick

As you command:

Barreft fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jun 17, 2018

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

It saddens me. I've listened to his podcast for years and years and years. Went to see him live in May for my birthday.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Still loving amazed that last Sunday was the half season finale

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
What's so annoying is that this season was formatted completely backwards. If the showrunners wanted to play with time and narrative, it should've happened in 4B. It should've been earned, deserved. I wish 4A was a more traditional story. I can't comprehend that they reviewed their far-and-away best season and delivered the poo poo-plopping-noise-made-visual that was 4A. Look at TWD as a whole, and think how a FTWD Season 3 Part C would've been a saving grace. The fans would've had something instead of a perpetual bad taste in their mouths.

I'm sad Madison and Nick are gone. The characters and actors deserved better. Same goes for Troy.... but Troy was different, I was also sad to see him go, but it was actually Dramatic, and changed the friendly son and vicious mother we knew. That was a maneuver that was deserved.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I think they're gonna do timeline fuckery again

https://www.amc.com/shows/fear-the-walking-dead/video-extras/fear-the-walking-dead-season-4-comic-con-trailer

Thank gently caress Dorie is still alive

And I'm legitimately excited about wheelchair man

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

Looks like it's been renewed for season 5

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/better-call-saul-fear-walking-dead-mcmafia-renewed-at-amc-1130552

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

The Fear preview actually looked good.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
Losing Madison & Nick has killed most of my interest in the show. Season 3 was fantastic and it feels the last 1/2 season undid all of that.

Still, a natural disaster and zombies? Eh, ok.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
At least we still have Strand. I'm going to watch this season but s3 was by far the best and it was clear they were forced to walk it waaaaaaaaay back. Killing Madison and resetting her back to nice person after all the work Kim Dickens put into making that character work in s3 was a friggen crime.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

JossiRossi posted:

At least we still have Strand. I'm going to watch this season but s3 was by far the best and it was clear they were forced to walk it waaaaaaaaay back. Killing Madison and resetting her back to nice person after all the work Kim Dickens put into making that character work in s3 was a friggen crime.

Where the gently caress is El Salvidad? I don't remember any mention of him at all. Did I miss a one off sentence where they said he died at the dam, or a scene I missed? I fully admit to not keeping my full attention while watching Walking Dead franchises.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

Barreft posted:

Where the gently caress is El Salvidad? I don't remember any mention of him at all. Did I miss a one off sentence where they said he died at the dam, or a scene I missed? I fully admit to not keeping my full attention while watching Walking Dead franchises.

No mention in the show at all so far. Showrunners have mentioned him being alive though.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Andrew_1985 posted:

Losing Madison & Nick has killed most of my interest in the show. Season 3 was fantastic and it feels the last 1/2 season undid all of that.

Still, a natural disaster and zombies? Eh, ok.

"IT'S A Z-NADO ON THE NEXT FEAR THE WALKING DEAD!!"

Strand: "Forget the scotch, pass the z-weed"

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

JossiRossi posted:

No mention in the show at all so far. Showrunners have mentioned him being alive though.
Continuing the franchise tradition of having all intrigue and character growth take place off-camera.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I didn’t realize that this thread exists so I’ve been posting in the other thread. But I finally sat down and started watching FtWD. Currently somewhere in S2, just finished the episode where they rescued the husband and Alicia from Conner’s crew.

I heard lots of things about how bad S1 (and S2?) was but I didn’t think it was awful. I was surprised it was that short though, made me do a double take when Amazon said the next season was starting. Was it like this because they ordered a trial run of the show?

Nick apparently just discovered zombie gut armor, something Rick’s crew keeps forgetting about. I hope they actually make use of it and that it’s not a one off thing.

Right now the crew is trying to sale to Mexico but Luis said to Strand that they didn’t have the money to pay for everybody to cross the border. Why can’t they just sail around the blockade? The oceans pretty big.

Do we learn more about the zombie virus in this show? There was that one season in TWD with the CDC but the only thing we learned from it was that everybody was already infected, which everybody in FtWD already knows. It’s not a big deal but if we learned why patient zero turned into a zombie that would be neat.

e: Almost forgot to ask, at the episode I’m at does Strand not know Daniel speaks Spanish? Luis switched to Spanish to yell at him about how they can’t pay for everyone to cross the border and they continued the conversation in Spanish for a little bit, and then the camera lingered non Daniel’s face. So it seems like that’s a conversation they thought was private, but Daniel the guy from El Salvador was standing right there.

e2: Speaking of Spanish I’m watching this show on amazon prime and basically all of S1 had no subtitles during the Spanish parts. My Spanish is ok so I followed it mostly but was it not subtitled on purpose or was something wrong with my stream?

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Aug 10, 2018

Satchel and Trunk
Nov 4, 2008
Nah, seasons 1 and 2 are still pretty bad and I hatewatched most of them...although they become unintentionally hilarious when you realize the showrunners are making the group into total villains but you're still supposed to root for them as being the good guys. Madison is straight up Shiva the Destroyer all the way up until the end of S3.

And no, you never learn anything else about the virus. I think the showrunners have gone on record to say "that's not what the series is about" so don't get your hopes up for it...ever. They also generally regard the CDC subplot at the end of TWD S1 as a huge mistake and wish they never went with it at all...

:shepicide:

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

Satchel and Trunk posted:

although they become unintentionally hilarious when you realize the showrunners are making the group into total villains but you're still supposed to root for them as being the good guys.
It was clear to me since halfway through season 2 that the showrunner was going for the villains-in-the-making approach and I don't know how so many people missed it, honestly.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Alright it’s starting to fall apart now.

“Lets get drunk and make lots of noise in a zombie infested hotel.”

The Chris kid (is he universally hated because he’s kinda bad).

Lotta death cults in Mexico apparently.

“We need people dad. Which is why we shouldn’t go back to your girlfriend and the guy who owns a boat and the guy who knows how to be practical and handle things. No instead let’s go with this group of 20 year olds who definitely has their poo poo together.”

E: holy poo poo Chris killed that man/farmer in cold blood

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Aug 11, 2018

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

It looks like everybody in this show knows about zombie armor.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Boris Galerkin posted:

E: holy poo poo Chris killed that man/farmer in cold blood

This is about the time when I found the show started to get really good. Like most zombie thrillers, it will still fall for some less-believable scenarios even in its famed 3rd season, but it also does a lot of cool interesting things as well, and the cinematography is nice

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Spellman posted:

This is about the time when I found the show started to get really good. Like most zombie thrillers, it will still fall for some less-believable scenarios even in its famed 3rd season, but it also does a lot of cool interesting things as well, and the cinematography is nice

I just got to the part where they got their generator working. One of the dudes said they had limited fuel and Madison’s response was they’ll use it to make ice cubes.

Sometimes they do things like show this runaway family being smart enough to rub blood all over each other and to not blab about even the names of people who live in the colony… other times they waste limited fuel to make ice cubes.

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

Boris Galerkin posted:

other times they waste limited fuel to make ice cubes.

This ends up serving a good purpose; unfortunately the last like 20 or so minutes of the episode suck because Madison bum-rushing cartel dudes because she overhears a description of someone who vaguely sounds like her son (it is, but still), and then she gets back to the hotel and uses the generator to LIGHT UP THE HOTEL LOGO SO PEOPLE CAN SEE IT FOR MILES AROUND in hopes it will get Nick's attention, with no regard to the consequences of it getting everyone else in the vicinity's attention as well.

I actually liked most of season 2, despite its shortcomings, but that was a real low-point for me.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

That's always a big part of Madison's character though: she will sacrifice anyone, everyone, or every thing to protect her family.

And now she and her family are dead.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Man I shouldn’t have hovered over that last spoiler. Oh well.

Done with season 2 now. :lol: at Chris essentially getting killed off screen like he was an extra or something. I hope nick doesn’t get killed though, his character kinda grew on me. Pitty that Strand is gone too but it makes sense that he’d want to stay. gently caress Travis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Well I'll say this: some people you might think are gone will come back, some people you'll think will live will die.

• Locked thread