Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

JossiRossi posted:

But she had a zombie on a stick. Why don't people understand Gimple's vision?

The problem is this show is now like the parent show--it's doubling down on the "WE'RE IN A COMIC BOOK" poo poo and following comic book style stories and set pieces, and this one doesn't even have a comic to follow.

Consider the dead realism of the first few seasons--life in the burbs of LA as the world ended, the hotel in Mexico, the drug dealers, the ranch, the stadium bazaar. It was all rooted in a realism. The only thing that kinda was OTT was the Abigail Mansion Death Cult.

Meanwhile in TWD you have baseball bat twirling sadists who inspire love and loyalty while choreographing group whistles, CGI tigers, etc. And S4 of Fear, especially post Madison, is all about that. I love Dorie, but his two fisted gunshooting screams "comic book pose", the KEWL TRUCK GUNS are silly as hell, we have Aaron Stanford wasted as BEER GUY, and they are even ripping off Z Nation with a Z-NADO.

This is basically a different show from seasons 1-3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
The best thing about this show was the extended cast and open locations.

It's just a loving poo poo show now, in both senses of the phrase.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
How many times did Morgan walk back and forth across the entire state of Louisiana in the few hours this episode took to play out?

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Oh yeah uh, I wasn't clear on the ending because my eyes were rolling too hard: are they all really okay not going to Virginia but instead okay with going on wild goose chases to find and help people now?

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

moist turtleneck posted:

Oh yeah uh, I wasn't clear on the ending because my eyes were rolling too hard: are they all really okay not going to Virginia but instead okay with going on wild goose chases to find and help people now?

Morgan's charisma and leadership skills are so high, that everyone will do what he says. Apparently.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I liked when Morgan did a falcon punch with his stick

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
After ripping something out of his leg and not bleeding to death

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Morgan: "I used to be just like Dirt Woman. Remember all those episodes where I psychotically murdered innocent people?"

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

precision posted:

Morgan: "I used to be just like Dirt Woman. Remember all those episodes where I psychotically murdered innocent people?"

Turns out Rick and Coral never saw the MASS GRAVE out back in Cleartown. :staredog:

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

I kinda stopped watching this show near the end of S3 - worth getting back into?

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Shooting Blanks posted:

I kinda stopped watching this show near the end of S3 - worth getting back into?
Nope.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
It depends, this show is brilliant to hate-watch. Remember when June had a great scene describing her backstory to John in the most elegant and concise way and then three episodes later the show revisited it and messed up all logic around her story?
In classic Walking Dead fashion, this season features two different people managing to impale someone while driving on an empty road!
If you're bored of teleporting zombies, this season proves that almost everyone is able to teleport, across bat distances. Car batteries (in Texas, no less) are immortal, and every car has one of those old fashioned sound alarms.
If you're ever annoyed that the people in the main show don't just shoot the villain when they are in their cross hairs, then I cannot wait until you watch the finale episode.
Seriously, this show is one of the funniest on TV and I can't stop laughing imagining the faces on the writers every time they hear what is supposed to happen in the episode.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

After watching the final episode last night my partner and I made the unilateral decision to stop watching this poo poo and to not bother with the main show either.
This series of Fear turned into a series of The Walking Dead and it was poo poo.

No more, we're done.

TV RIP indeed.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

Horrible season, even worse finale. And I have a really low bar and usually like everything.

I’m just baffled with the dirty woman villain. They live in a world where there are people like the Governor and Negan and these people spend an entire season being terrorized by a middle aged fat woman with a zombie on a stick.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Hey now

She also had a magic marker :v:

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

ditty bout my clitty posted:

Caught one of these episodes at random, and holy poo poo is this show bad. Why are people defending this?

Literally no one is defending this. The title of the thread is based on the quality of last season, before AMC handed the keys to the show to the guy who ruined the main TWD series.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

FTWD seems like it's giving off an air of comedy now, between acts of horror

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Acacia REI posted:

Literally no one is defending this. The title of the thread is based on the quality of last season, before AMC handed the keys to the show to the guy who ruined the main TWD series.

I have really been tempted to go back and just change the entire OP to a 180 point "IT'S poo poo" in bright red.

Heroes didn't break me. American Horror Story season 3 didn't break me. Fear the Walking Dead broke me. I tuned out the episode after the midseason premiere and haven't been back since... even TWD proper didn't break me so that's saying something.

KilGrey posted:

Horrible season, even worse finale. And I have a really low bar and usually like everything.

I’m just baffled with the dirty woman villain. They live in a world where there are people like the Governor and Negan and these people spend an entire season being terrorized by a middle aged fat woman with a zombie on a stick.

I do not regret my decision to bail.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
the best part is that morgan and crew arent coming back to virginia, they're just gonna drive around and hang out at a denim factory lmao

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

brocked posted:

It depends, this show is brilliant to hate-watch. Remember when June had a great scene describing her backstory to John in the most elegant and concise way and then three episodes later the show revisited it and messed up all logic around her story?
In classic Walking Dead fashion, this season features two different people managing to impale someone while driving on an empty road!
If you're bored of teleporting zombies, this season proves that almost everyone is able to teleport, across bat distances. Car batteries (in Texas, no less) are immortal, and every car has one of those old fashioned sound alarms.
If you're ever annoyed that the people in the main show don't just shoot the villain when they are in their cross hairs, then I cannot wait until you watch the finale episode.
Seriously, this show is one of the funniest on TV and I can't stop laughing imagining the faces on the writers every time they hear what is supposed to happen in the episode.

I love a good hate watch. I think because the quality was so good in 3 and knowing it was pissed all away makes me extra bitter about Fear.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Astroman posted:

The problem is this show is now like the parent show--it's doubling down on the "WE'RE IN A COMIC BOOK" poo poo and following comic book style stories and set pieces, and this one doesn't even have a comic to follow.

What makes me double sad about that really is the fact while I've not read the full comics, every single time I've compared a line of dialogue or scene from the comics between the show and comics (the main show), I notice that the TV version is missing ALL the key details that make it work. Like Carl facing off against Negan; on the show he comes off like an idiot that can't shoot because of plot armor, in the comic he comes off like a badass who can't shoot because he got overwhelmed by numbers. The same BASIC beat but the show version is immensely, immensely dumber.

The other one that jumps out at me is Negan's "I hope you have your making GBS threads pants on" line AMC ran in all the trailers and tried to make big and scary in the comic was an 'Oh, gently caress me!' style rant to Dwight when he realized he was about to get screwed. I mean it's still not poetry, but I think we can all agree that is much less obnoxiously poo poo in that context.

ED: Another great example is the montage of them shooting windows that's never explained. In the show they had Daryl leading the Walkers there so there was literally no reason to shoot the windows but they did it anyway because it was in there. It's like a 2nd grader and having them try to repaint a picture. They're going to get the broad details right but everything else is going to be wrong.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Oct 3, 2018

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

Blazing Ownager posted:

I have really been tempted to go back and just change the entire OP to a 180 point "IT'S poo poo" in bright red.

Heroes didn't break me. American Horror Story season 3 didn't break me. Fear the Walking Dead broke me. I tuned out the episode after the midseason premiere and haven't been back since... even TWD proper didn't break me so that's saying something.

I quit after the midseason finale. This was the first time I ever got to the end of an episode and decided to just quit. There are plenty of series' I haven't finished, but this was the first time I purposely quit a show. I loved season 3 and honestly liked the show even before then (c'mon it was dumb but fun) and wanted to bail while I still had positive feelings toward it. At this point I just resent almost everything about the main series because I watched it for so long after its decline hoping it would get better, and it just never did.

Blazing Ownager posted:

I think because the quality was so good in 3 and knowing it was pissed all away makes me extra bitter about Fear.

This also. We had a showrunner and writing staff who actually seemed like they listened to fans and took criticism well, and now we're stuck with Scott Gimple & friendos. It was pretty disheartening to watch the show ascend to what it was, only to get completely gutted and lobotomized.

I kind of knew FTWD was dead when Gimple started talking about Charazards n poo poo in that "Letter to the Fans" after the S3 finale. I still managed to be disappointed.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

That was a baaaddd episode.

what did they do this show

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Paperback Writer posted:

That was a baaaddd episode.

what did they do this show

They let Gimple drive

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

precision posted:

They let Gimple drive

We need that Chris driving the truck gif but with Gimple's face superimposed over Chris's

Tortuga
Aug 27, 2011

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

JossiRossi posted:

OH NO! THE ETHANOL IS LEAKING OUT OF THE TRUCK IT IS LOST. EVEN THOUGH WE HAVE CONTAINERS WE COULD PLACE UNDER THE HOLES TO CAPTURE IT.

I AM GIMPLE MASTER STORY CRAFTER.

It feels like there was meant to be an explosion here that destroyed the ethanol truck. I'm guessing they ran out of budget and instead of rewriting it they just thought "gently caress IT, WHO'S GONNA CARE?!"

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I'm the small brewery with full sized trucks hauling only my beer and also it's still stocked and was nearby in Mississippi

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Acacia REI posted:

I quit after the midseason finale. This was the first time I ever got to the end of an episode and decided to just quit.
I was pretty disgusted with the season at that point, so when it came back with an episode that was equal parts stupid, boring and pointless I called it quits there. Mrs. Marathe watched two or three episodes more before coming to the same conclusion.

No regrets. I'll be curious to see if TWD proper holds my attention this season; on the one hand it's quite clear now it will always suck and will almost definitely decline further. On the other, sunk cost fallacy I guess.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm excited to see Rick Grimes finally die

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
I gave up 2 episodes ago. I just cant do it anymore. Does anyone except beerguy die in them?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Ego-bot posted:

I gave up 2 episodes ago. I just cant do it anymore. Does anyone except beerguy die in them?

Garret Dillahunt might as well have died because I'm not sure he had a single line in either of the last two eps

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill

moist turtleneck posted:

I'm the small brewery with full sized trucks hauling only my beer and also it's still stocked and was nearby in Mississippi

I legit laughed out loud the other day when I saw an ad for IRL Augie's beer. Of course Gimple cares about the product tie-ins. I think that was his only concern for 4B.

Whoever said earlier in the thread that Alicia's main weapon has become that sawed-off Machine gun barrel in place of the butterfly knife strictly for product and merchandizing reasons is 100% correct.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Decided to actually finish this season, and hoooooly gently caress they really did just toss this in the trash

Episode 15 they're trapped behind the fence by like thirty zombies, why don't they just kill them like they did at the prison in TWD? How did they know that ambulance had gas? Why was the river suddenly only 3 feet when they literally dove in after John's boat failed? Why didn't Alicia just loving headshot trash lady immediately? Jfc I thought this show was dumb but it really still impresses me sometimes

Edit: seriously their truck is surrounded by like forty zombies, Morgan could staff every one and it would be no issue. They couldn't even cgi a loving swarm of zombies? Christ

Johnny Truant fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Oct 26, 2018

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

JossiRossi posted:

I saw this elsewhere, was told it was real, still had to do my own look to be absolutely sure...

https://twitter.com/FearTWD/status/1042838261222264832

Click to see the whole thing, it's so embarrassing.

Just wanna quote this again. I don't care if it's a parody of some movie poster- it matches this season so drat well

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Joe Mama Poonana posted:

Just wanna quote this again. I don't care if it's a parody of some movie poster- it matches this season so drat well

The comment section on this tweet is hilarious.

Did they at least kill trash lady off? What is with Gimple's obsession with trash people?

precision posted:

They let Gimple drive

I legitimately want to see the 'Bear's Driving' meme with Scott Gimple's face pasted on it

ED: I am still entirely confused how this man still has a job. Critics hate him, fans hate him, actors hate him. What in the hell.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Oct 28, 2018

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Just finished this latest season. I think I'm bit more forgiving when it comes to television shows than most people here. I enjoyed all the previous seasons.

But this latest season really fell apart when the storm happened. The Martha character really is poorly done. There's nothing redeemable about that character or any story arc after the storm. Except maybe the escape from the hospital.

It's kind of suffers from the same problem as the other show. An evil protagonist appears out of nowhere, they capture them, let them go, capture them, let them go and then they die in some poorly written fashion.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

Are they going to have a time jump too? They just caught up to Walking Dead.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I really hope not. I haven't heard any definitive, but I would doubt it so they can keep doing their own thing.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

KilGrey posted:

Are they going to have a time jump too? They just caught up to Walking Dead.

It's Scott Gimple we're talking about.

Every season will span less than 24 hours

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Blazing Ownager posted:

It's Scott Gimple we're talking about.

Every season will span less than 24 hours

with a 1-10 year off camera time jump in between seasons

• Locked thread