Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

quote:

This first hour, together with the trailer and the various promotional material that Square Enix has put out there today, suggest that Lara will find herself combating an inner darkness here, reckoning with consequences—a rather dangerous conceptual route to take for an action game that revolves around killing hundreds of faceless enemies. If Lara is forced to stop and think about that, then as players, so are we.

my wallet...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
Does anyone else think it’s strange that the 2013 Tomb Raider, and Rise of the Tomb Raider, and now Shadow of the Tomb Raider all have, beat for beat, the exact same prerelease journalist coverage and advertising:

“It’s Lara Croft’s definitive origin story, how she really became The Tomb Raider”
“It humanizes Lara more deeply, she’s much more of a Strong Female Role Model™ this time around”
“Its action is lot more bombastic and cinematic than before”
“It makes acquiring and using resources along the way feel much more important than ever before”
“It really makes you think about the people Lara is fighting with, and against, as people. Real characters, and not faceless entities”
“It’s the darkest entry in the series yet, it’s all a lot more serious and less whimsical and fantastical”
“The story will be a lot more thought-provoking than previous entries”

I have seen all the exact same people saying all these exact same things for these three games’ marketing cycles. I know that’s not unheard of in a game series but it’s just so so blatant in this case, it sincerely is the same routine as the last two games. What the hell lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Tomb raider as a series that people have apparently cared about for decades baffles me in general.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
those games are so bland everyone forgets everything about them a month out

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I like the anniversary games at least

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

I just want Lara to stop very cinematically moping and go back to some half decent puzzle platforming and shooting dinosaurs goddamnit

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Lumpy the Cook posted:

I just want Lara to stop very cinematically moping and go back to some half decent puzzle platforming and shooting dinosaurs goddamnit

I must protect her.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Have the new games had one dino yet?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
All I remember about the new Tomb Raider games is that you meet Jesus and Lara wants to gently caress him really badly.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Cobalt Viper posted:

All I remember about the new Tomb Raider games is that you meet Jesus and Lara wants to gently caress him really badly.

Nobody fucks with the Jesus. Until now.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

2021’s Game Of The Year will be the darkest Tomb Raider game yet. It’ll feature an aging bearded Lara Croft venturing through a snowy wasteland with her son, Jesus Christ Jr.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Lumpy the Cook posted:

2021’s Game Of The Year will be the darkest Tomb Raider game yet. It’ll feature an aging bearded Lara Croft venturing through a snowy wasteland with her son, Jesus Christ Jr.

lol

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Jesus Christ Junior Croft

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Lumpy the Cook posted:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Lara wiped the blood from her eyes and lifted her daughter from under a pile of intestines.

"Don't smoke," Lara said. Her daughter smiled.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

The 1 hour-long emotional QTE cutscene of Lara giving birth to Jesus Christ Jr. followed by a cinematic stand-off against 2 velociraptors right there in the delivery room will be a new landmak in gaming.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Lara couldn't help but think about how "tomb" sounded like "womb," even though one is associated with death, and the other with birth. This would definitely win her an award for game writing.

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT BEING THE BIGGEST CRYBABY ON THE FORUMS

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Jesus Christ Junior Croft

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

FactsAreUseless posted:

Lara couldn't help but think about how "tomb" sounded like "womb," even though one is associated with death, and the other with birth. This would definitely win her an award for game writing.

womb raider

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

i wish this was a joke

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Lmao @ all of these

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Tomb Raider: The Failson Chronicles

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

lmao

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

it’s an absolute stroke of loving genius that the game ends with her revealing she was pregnant the whole time

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

it’s an absolute stroke of loving genius that the game ends with her revealing she was pregnant the whole time

and the man she abandoned wont let go. Coming this fall: The Tomb Raider v The Womb Raider

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

*turning to my gf* That's the Womb Raider.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Lol

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

God of War and Kanye West Have Something In Common... and It’s Not What You Think

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

Lmfao

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Lol

Pablo Nergigante