Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Davros1 posted:

When was the CM Punk one?

Looks like he got votes in 2008 and 2011. (Did Triple H vote for him in '11?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

ChrisBTY posted:

It's "Overrated" not "Overpushed"
So the sentiment is "Why the hell do people like this bald dude who can only wrestle one match?"

If you read the award description it is absolutely supposed to be "Most Overpushed", the answer is that WOR readers are marks.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
MOST UNDERRATED

I'll be honest, this is probably the least compelling of the categories still active. It basically boils down to "please push my favorite wrestlers" and some of the top entrants are downright laughable in retrospect. (hello, Dolph). Anyway, here we go.

:siren: COMPLETE YEAR-BY-YEAR RESULTS https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ZwETjyE8ugO2aEiIWrKPJ74V_-EwAt-KwxmUs3VKVt8/edit#gid=0

code:
Chris Benoit	66
Bobby Eaton	57
Chris Jericho	57
Cesaro	45
Christian	40
Brad Armstrong	39
Paul London	36
Dolph Ziggler	36
Christopher Daniels	35
Shelton Benjamin	35
Alex Shelley	35
Tyson Kidd	35
Terry Taylor	34
Matt Hardy	34
Al Snow	33
William Regal	33
Brian Pillman	32
Psicosis	31
Daniel Bryan	31
Juventud Guerrera	30
Eddie Guerrero	26
Kassius Ohno/Chris Hero	25
Sami Zayn	25
Jamie Noble	24
Tomohiro Ishii	24
Jack Swagger	23
Dynamite Kid	22
Bret Hart	22
Chris Candido	22
Kaz Hayashi	21
Lance Storm	20
Evan Bourne	18
Neville	18
Taka Michinoku	16
X-Pac	15
The Brian Kendrick	15
Luke Harper	15
Rusev	15
Dean Malenko	14
Tajiri	14
2 Cold Scorpio	13
Yoshi Tatsu	13
Jerry Lynn	12
Tomoaki Honma	12
Booker T	11
MVP	11
The Iron Sheik	10
Buzz Sawyer	10
Adrian Adnois	10
Brian Blair	10
Mitsuharu Misawa	10
Dan Kroffat	10
Ultimo Dragon	10
Colt Cabana	10
Low Ki	10
Drew McIntyre	10
Mascara Dorada/Gran Metalik	9
Scott McGhee	8
Nobuhiko Takada	8
Pat Tanaka	8
LA Park	8
Grandmaster Sexay	8
Rob Van Dam	8
CM Punk	8
Samoa Joe	8
Dean Ambrose	8
Finn Balor	8
Shinjiro Otani	7
Takashi Iizuka	7
Billy Kidman	7
Chris Sabin	7
Sasha Banks	7
Bob Orton	6
Masa Saito	6
Ron Starr	6
Dale Veasy	6
Jack Victory	6
Owen Hart	6
Jinsei Shinzaki	6
Elijah Burke	6
Donovan Dijak	6
Dick Togo	5
Masahito Kakihara	5
Black Tiger	5
Rico	5
Suwa	5
John Morrison	5
Nigel McGuinness	5
Kevin Owens	5
Larry Zbyszko	4
Butch Reed	4
Johnny Rodz	4
Dos Caras	4
Tito Santana	4
Don Kernodle	4
Hiro Saito	4
Hector Guerrero	4
Sabu	4
Jeff Hardy	4
Mike Awesome	4
Naohiro Hoshikawa	4
AKIRA	4
Rey Mysterio	4
Super Crazy	4
Mike Knox	4
Sin Cara	4
Yuji Nagata	4
Katsuyori Shibata	4
Oney Lorcan	4
Naoki Sano	3
Steve Austin	3
Masato Yakushiji	3
Raven	3
Doug Basham	3
Takashi Sugiura	3
Go Shiozaki	3
Paul Burchill	3
Dalton Castle	3
Chic Donovan	2
Rick Martel	2
Chavo Guerrero Sr.	2
Kazuo Yamazaki	2
Sam Houston	2
Eddie Gilbert	2
Tommy Rogers	2
Johnny Smith	2
Doug Williams	2
Eric Young	2
Senshi	2
AJ Styles	2
Shuji Kondo	2
Hunico	2
Austin Aries	2
Chad Gable	2
Shiro Koshinaka	1
Buff Bagwell	1
EZ Money	1
Osamu Nishimura	1
Jimmy Wang Yang	1
Chris Masters	1
Justin Gabriel	1
Tama Tonga	1
Mark Andrews	1
Roderick Strong	1
Thoughts

-- Oh look, it's our old friend on top again (cough)

-- If you've ever watched NWA shows on the Network and thought "hey Brad Armstrong is pretty good, why didn't they do anything with him?" turns out you weren't alone! (the real answer is he had the charisma of a wet paper bag and that wasn't cutting it on a roster littered with GOAT promos, but hey, brother could work).

-- Pour one out for Tyson Kidd, his tag team with Cesaro was too beautiful for this world :smith:

-- 20/20 hindsight and all, but what in God's name did people ever see in Al Snow? That's a serious question, every time I see him on retro shows he's one of the worst things on it.

-- We all hate Dolph now and his votes made more sense at the time, but some of y'all need to come clean and admit when you used to like Jack Swagger.

-- For a minute I was totally stumped on who the hell "Skip" was, the 1995 winner. Turns out it was Chris Candido as one half of The Bodydonnas in WWF. You're lying if you remember a single thing about The Bodydonnas other than Sunny being their manager.

-- I had no idea people rated Yoshi Tatsu enough for him to be underrated at one point.

-- Kevin Owens' 2015 (holding the NXT belt for ~6 months, beating John Cena on his first main roster match, winning IC title later in the year) was apparently "underrated" to some people. Uh, OK. (I know we got mad that Cena won the rematches but c'mon)

Up Next: Tag Team of the Year
Place your bets on how high the Bucks finish

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Benne posted:

-- We all hate Dolph now and his votes made more sense at the time, but some of y'all need to come clean and admit when you used to like Jack Swagger.

-- I had no idea people rated Yoshi Tatsu enough for him to be underrated at one point.
WWECW in its final stages was probably the most consistent workrate show among all the brands at the time

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

I liked jack swagger

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Only a couple of years until Cesaro can claim the top spot!

Benne posted:

-- For a minute I was totally stumped on who the hell "Skip" was, the 1995 winner. Turns out it was Chris Candido as one half of The Bodydonnas in WWF. You're lying if you remember a single thing about The Bodydonnas other than Sunny being their manager.
He did a cool Frankensteiner, had an athletic in-ring style and definitely was a solid second best part of the Bodydonnas for me. :colbert:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

frankenfreak posted:

He did a cool Frankensteiner, had an athletic in-ring style and definitely was a solid second best part of the Bodydonnas for me. :colbert:

Wow, someone was a big Dr Tom fan! (he looked pretty dumb with his fair shaved and bleached to be Zip)

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Dolph Ziggler was always good?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I will stand by in that there were years where people kept voting for Cesaro where he didn't actually deserve to win Most Underrated

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I assume the Steve Austin underrated votes came before 1996?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Benne posted:

-- 20/20 hindsight and all, but what in God's name did people ever see in Al Snow? That's a serious question, every time I see him on retro shows he's one of the worst things on it.

Al Snow was legitimately great in SMW and was more or less buried immediately after SMW died and he went over to WWF.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Benne posted:

As I understand it, early Al Snow was supposedly doing a lot of innovative/cool-looking offense way back in the day and was pegged as a hot young up-and-comer.

From his early '90s work, though, all I've seen is one or two WWF matches and a handful of Kitao Dojo appearances, so I can't say if that's legitimate or not.

I used to like Jack Swagger back in WWECW, though in hindsight a lot of that was that I thought he had way more upside than he actually ended up showing. I thought he moved REALLY well for a man of his height and had a good look.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

forkboy84 posted:

Wow, someone was a big Dr Tom fan! (he looked pretty dumb with his fair shaved and bleached to be Zip)

in hindsight I'm amazed they ever got him to go along with it in the first place. I did like him with Candido, but I also missed the Heavenly Bodies.

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too
I mostly don't read punchsport pagoda for the wrestling, but I watch Raw regularly and have forever. When did the internet turn on Dolph? I love that guy. Every houseshow I've been to he has always been the best match on the card. I get it that he has been overdone and will never get anywhere (sorta like Sheamus, who is also great but pointless) but how is that different from, say, Christian, who I don't think people ever really turned on or got sick of?

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
I think it was for sure during the time the Authority was a thing and he was on John Cena's survivor series team. But like he was giving the exact same promos forever. The last time he was universally loved was probably when him AJ Lee and Big E were a thing.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

I feel like his mini-feud with Harper during the time KFG brought up was when his fall began, then WWE started bringing in indie talent by the bucketload who could do everything Dolph could do and more while Dolph just stayed the same.

Twisted Eye
Jan 6, 2011
It also doesn't help when it was eventually revealed that his character's Whiny Big-Headed Dumbshit promos matched up with his real-life Whiny Big-Headed Dumbshit politics. Sometimes you can separate the two for a person but it sank Dolph's chances at connecting positively with me at least, for whatever it's worth

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
The Rusev feud was what really torpedoed his goodwill

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

looking at the spreadsheet (and Benne, thanks for this, it's rad)...

achillesforever6 posted:

I will stand by in that there were years where people kept voting for Cesaro where he didn't actually deserve to win Most Underrated

Cesaro's ranking is entirely max points from 2013-2016 and 5 from last year, which is kind of amazing really. Though yeah, I'm with you in that 2016-2017 he's exactly where he should be on the card.

Jerusalem posted:

I assume the Steve Austin underrated votes came before 1996?

1995, where he was fired by WCW (lol) and hung out at ECW talking poo poo about being fired from WCW. Entirely pre-Ringmaster, even.

D.N. Nation fucked around with this message at 05:26 on May 3, 2018

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Lucasar posted:

I mostly don't read punchsport pagoda for the wrestling, but I watch Raw regularly and have forever. When did the internet turn on Dolph? I love that guy. Every houseshow I've been to he has always been the best match on the card. I get it that he has been overdone and will never get anywhere (sorta like Sheamus, who is also great but pointless) but how is that different from, say, Christian, who I don't think people ever really turned on or got sick of?

I can't remember exactly when it happened for me, but he basically went from a guy who worked real hard and kept getting the rug pulled out from under him to a guy who just seemed to consistently operate at exactly the same level month after month, year after year without ever adapting or changing up anything about himself. Bad booking has a lot to answer for, but I don't think it helps that in spite of all his promos about being the hardest working guy and the one who TRULY wants to shine, he comes across as just coasting along without ever even attempting to improve himself.

The fact he STILL insists on using that Superkick into exhausted pin spot from that one HBK match without understanding the context of it all was probably the biggest alarm bell for me, this is a guy who for all his big talk still doesn't seem to actually understand the psychology of putting together a story in a ring. He just seems to emulate (often very well) different bits and pieces of other, better wrestlers without understanding what made that stuff work in the first place. That's excusable when you're new to wrestling or still figuring things out, but he has been doing this for a LOOOOOOOOONG time now.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I think the turning point of Dolph's career was when ADR concussed him.
Never seemed the same after that.
(Unless that was supposed to be a work, I don't know man)

Dolph also had the thing where he was one of the best in the bad situation that was 2006-2011 WWE. But once they started opening their doors to indie talent and nXt became a thing he was exposed as just another overrated product of a middling to say the least developmental system.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

During the draft they should’ve put Ziggler on Raw and Sami Zayn on Smackdown

Ziggler would’ve been the whiny POS babyface that he was on Smackdown, but he would’ve been thrown around by Braun and Jericho and looked as poo poo as Sami did, whereas Sami would’ve had a great match with Dean Ambrose and a short IC reign upon beating Miz at No Mercy, and he’d look all the better for it and would ultimately define himself as a good wrestler on the main roster outside of Kevin Owens’ shadow

I mean, we wouldn’t have had the Spirit Squad stuff, but Miz was a good wrestler at that point, so he and Ryan Ward would’ve found some way to make the second half of that feud work

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Jerusalem posted:

The fact he STILL insists on using that Superkick into exhausted pin spot from that one HBK match without understanding the context of it all was probably the biggest alarm bell for me, this is a guy who for all his big talk still doesn't seem to actually understand the psychology of putting together a story in a ring. He just seems to emulate (often very well) different bits and pieces of other, better wrestlers without understanding what made that stuff work in the first place. That's excusable when you're new to wrestling or still figuring things out, but he has been doing this for a LOOOOOOOOONG time now.

Doplh Ziggler is the Cargo Cult version of a good wrestler. That makes so much sense.

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too
To each his own, I guess. Because I don't watch much indie stuff (unless Japan counts?) I don't have the same pre-approval of the guys who get brought up from that world. Judged purely by what they have done as WWE guys I don't see how people can rate Zayn over Ziggler except in terms of personal preference. The same goes for guys like Cesaro, who have the occasional brilliant match (and I love the guy), but mostly just goes about doing their crazy athletic exhibitions with no real emotion. With Ziggler I at least get the sense that he LOVES being the HBK/Rick Rude/Mr. Perfect/Ric Flair tribute show midcarder that he is. Ziggler is a little further down his road of booking purgatory than Cesaro or Zayn, so I get being burned out on him, but not really the loathing he seems to attract here. I didn't mean to start a de-rail, but I figured this was as good a place to ask as any.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Regardless of if you're familiar with Sami Zayn's prior career or not, I think it's kinda crazy to lump him in with Ziggler as a performer. Sami is a genius at working at exactly the right pace for whatever his place on the card happens to be, and he doesn't do anything in his matches without a reason. Ziggler has a tendency to just throw things out at what feels like random intervals, and I'd argue he may have even regressed somewhat in the last couple of years as his motivation/desire seems to have declined.

To be fair, any decrease in motivation can easily be blamed on WWE consistently dropping the ball with him and leaving him in booking purgatory.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
There are a million obvious reasons why Sami is better than Dolph but instead of continuing this derail, let's move on.

TAG TEAM OF THE YEAR

This was ... an interesting category to track. Due to the simple nature of the business, where singles wrestling is almost always prioritized over tag teams, not many teams have much career longevity. There were a lot of one-off teams on this list, where guys teamed up, had their run for a year or two, then went their separate ways. Or if they're in WWE, they only exist to break up and then push the guy Vince is high on. It is what it is.

Therefore, it's probably not a surprise that the teams at the top are the ones that stuck together for most, if not all, of their individual careers. And of course it's headlined by Dave Meltzer's sons Matt and Nick Jackson, arguably the biggest non-WWE draw of the modern era. But who's next on the list? The answers might surprise you.

:siren: COMPLETE YEAR-BY-YEAR RESULTS https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dLlzQz3y6Lw7XIyCS_T_5KHSorDCdw4SL4CSontUlXM/edit?usp=sharing

code:
The Young Bucks	71
Midnight Express	50
The Briscoe Brothers	45
Los Guerreros del Infierno	40
Holy Demon Army	37
The Steiner Brothers	33
The Road Warriors	30
Strong BJ	30
The Hardy Boyz	29
KENTA/Naomichi Marufuji	29
Motor City Machine Guns	26
Beer Money Inc.	26
America's Most Wanted	25
Misawa/Kobashi	23
reDRagon	22
Steenerico	21
The British Bulldogs	20
Misawa/Jun Akiyama	20
Shinjiro Otani/Tatsuhito Takaiwa	19
The Dudley Boyz	19
The Rockers	18
Las Cachorras Orientales	18
TenCozy	18
Los Guerreros	18
Apollo 55	18
Heavenly Bodies	17
Public Enemy	17
The Usos	17
The Can-Am Express	16
Edge & Christian	16
World's Greatest Tag Team	16
DoiYoshi	16
The Addiction	16
Misawa/Yoshinari Ogawa	15
American Wolves	15
Bad Intentions	15
The Fabulous Freebirds	14
The Brain Busters	14
Miracle Violence Connection	14
The New Day	14
The Eliminators	13
Emblem	13
Kings of Wrestling	13
The Rhodes Brothers	13
Stan Hansen/Bruiser Brody	12
Riki Choshu/Yoshi Yatsu	12
Manami Toyota/Toshiyo Yamada	12
Los Gringos Locos	12
The New Age Outlaws	12
Kenta Kobashi/Jun Akiyama	12
Paul London/Brian Kendrick	12
Hiroyoshi Tenzan/Masahiro Chono	11
Kenta Kobashi/Johnny Ace	11
Terry Gordy/Jmmy Snuka	10
Stan Hansen/Ole Anderson	10
Ricky Steamboat/Jay Youngblood	10
The Foot Loose	10
Misawa/Kawada	10
The Hollywood Blonds	10
Junior Stars	10
Triple X	10
LAX	10
John Morrison/Miz	10
The Shield	10
Rock 'n' Roll Express	9
Chris Benoit/Dean Malenko	9
Yoshirio Takayama/Takao Omori	9
Austin Aries/Roderick Strong	9
Team Hell No	9
American Alpha	9
The Revival	9
The Wild Samoans	8
Akira Maeda/Takada	8
The Fantastics	8
Gedo & Jado	8
Chris Benoit/Kurt Angle	8
Havana Pitbulls	8
AJ Styles/Christopher Daniels	8
KENTA/Taiji Ishimori	8
JeriShow	8
T-Hawk and Eita	8
#DIY	8
War Machine	8
The Head Hunters	7
Steve Williams/Johnny Ace	7
Rob Van Dam/Sabu	7
MNM	7
Ikuto Hidaka/Minoru Fujita	7
Giant Bernard/Travis Tomko	7
Killer Elite Squad	7
Matt Sydal/Ricochet	7
The Bar	7
The High Flyers	6
Keiji Mutoh/Masahiro Chono	6
HIrashi Hase/Kensuke Sasaki	6
Double Inoue	6
Owen Hart/British Bulldog	6
Genichiro Tenryu/Shiro Koshinaka	6
Keiji Mutoh/Taiyo Kea	6
Edge/Rey Mysterio	6
Minoru Suzuii/Marufuji	6
Takao Omori/Manabu Soya	6
Forever Hooligans	6
Masato Tanaka/Takashi Sugiura	6
New Dinamitas	6
Smoking Gunns	5
Harlem Heat	5
Stan Hansen/Vader	5
Mikey Whipwreck/Tajiri	5
Unbeatables	5
Averno/Mephisto	5
Super Smash Brother	5
Time Splitters	5
Lucha Brothers	5
Mr. Fuji/Mr. Saito	4
The Brisco Brothers	4
Adrian Adonis/Dick Murdoch	4
Revolution	4
Shawn Michaels/Diesel	4
Manami Toyota/Mima Shimoda	4
Jushin Thunder Liger/El Samurai	4
Chris Benoit/Chris Jericho	4
Yoshinobu Kanemaru/Tsuyoshi Kikuchi	4
Second City Saints	4
Takeshi Morishima/Mohammed Yone	4
Lance Cade/Trevor Murdoch	4
Age of the Fall	4
The Golden Lovers	4
CIMA/Ricochet	4
Tyson Kidd & Cesaro	4
PG-13	3
Kai En Tai	3
WILD II	3
Jun Akiyama/Akitoshi Saito	3
Kenta Kobashi/Tamon Honda	3
Rob Van Dam/Rey Mysterio	3
Kensuke Sasaki/Katsuhiko Nakajima	3
Volador Jr./La Sombra	3
Los Gueros Del Cielo	3
The Wyatt Family	3
The Kingdom	3
Big Guns	3
CCK	3
Riki Choshu/Hamaguchi	2
Ted DiBiase/Steve Williams	2
Doom	2
FBI	2
Booker T/Goldust	2
Jack Evans/Roderick Strong	2
Shingo Takagi/BxB Hulk	2
Legacy	2
Shingo Takagi/YAMATO	2
Air Boom	2
Katsuyori Shibata/Kazushi Sakuraba	2
Io Shirai/Mayu Iwatani	2
CIMA/Dragon Kid	2
Hell Raisers (Hawk/Sasaki)	1
Raven/Stevie Richards	1
Tenzan/Chono	1
Jushin Eiger/Takehiro Murahama	1
Minoru Suzuki/Takayama	1
HIroshi Tanahashi/Shinsuke Nakamura	1
Perro Aguayo Jr./Hector Garza	1
Ricky Marvin/Kotaro Suzuki	1
D-Generation X	1
Hart Dynasty	1
SANADA/Manabu Soya	1
Team Rhodes Scholars	1
Jun Akiyama/Takao Omori	1
Roppongi Vice	1
Roppongi 3K	1
Thoughts

-- It seems like everybody's cooled on the Briscoes in recent years, but their peak was still well-received enough to get third place. I definitely wasn't expecting them to place this high.

-- The Road Warriors had some awful WWF runs (as Rarity is finding out right now), but people really liked their NWA work back in the day.

-- Public Enemy having as many points as the Usos (and more than E&C) is just wrong.

-- For a few years in the 2000s WWE was just pairing Big Show with anyone who would make a good punny tag team name (JeriShow, ShowMiz, etc.) If AJ Styles signed 10 years sooner I guarantee they would've made The Phenomenal Show a thing.

-- Sydal/Ricochet would probably finish much higher if Matt didn't smoke his way out of Japan. They were pretty loving awesome at the time.

-- I'm kinda shocked at how low the Rock and Rolls placed here.

-- DIY had a beautiful thing going until that bald fuckface Ciampa ruined everything :argh:

Up Next: Best Non-Wrestler
This one didn't get started until 1999, but plenty of room for intrigue!

Benne fucked around with this message at 07:48 on May 5, 2018

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

If done today I think the All Japan tag teams would be ranked higher cause a lot of the 90's All Japan main event tags were just so good

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Public Enemy came extremely close to beating Misawa and Kobashi in 95 which is extremely great.

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too

Jerusalem posted:

Regardless of if you're familiar with Sami Zayn's prior career or not, I think it's kinda crazy to lump him in with Ziggler as a performer. Sami is a genius at working at exactly the right pace for whatever his place on the card happens to be, and he doesn't do anything in his matches without a reason. Ziggler has a tendency to just throw things out at what feels like random intervals, and I'd argue he may have even regressed somewhat in the last couple of years as his motivation/desire seems to have declined.

To be fair, any decrease in motivation can easily be blamed on WWE consistently dropping the ball with him and leaving him in booking purgatory.

I think Ziggler throwing out showy poo poo at random intervals has a reason, and that reason is that it is his character to do so. I really think how much you invest in a wrestler colors how you interpret their actions, unless they are excellent characters or actors. I think Zayn and Ziggler are both hams, but if you love Ziggler you try to see his reasons in a match and if you love Zayn you try to see his reasons. I don't love Zayn, and so the genius you're mentioning doesn't stand out to me. Sorry for the derail, if it is annoying anybody.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Young Bucks having such a strong lead over Midnight Express boggles my mind.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Strong BJ being so high up on the list is kind of surprising.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Lucasar posted:

To each his own, I guess. Because I don't watch much indie stuff (unless Japan counts?) I don't have the same pre-approval of the guys who get brought up from that world. Judged purely by what they have done as WWE guys I don't see how people can rate Zayn over Ziggler except in terms of personal preference. The same goes for guys like Cesaro, who have the occasional brilliant match (and I love the guy), but mostly just goes about doing their crazy athletic exhibitions with no real emotion. With Ziggler I at least get the sense that he LOVES being the HBK/Rick Rude/Mr. Perfect/Ric Flair tribute show midcarder that he is. Ziggler is a little further down his road of booking purgatory than Cesaro or Zayn, so I get being burned out on him, but not really the loathing he seems to attract here. I didn't mean to start a de-rail, but I figured this was as good a place to ask as any.

It’s like this post was made intentionally to wound me

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Jerusalem posted:

Young Bucks having such a strong lead over Midnight Express boggles my mind.

I'd be interested in seeing the breakdown between Eaton/Condrey and Eaton/Lane

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Davros1 posted:

I'd be interested in seeing the breakdown between Eaton/Condrey and Eaton/Lane

Me too - Condrey/Eaton won Team of the Year in 86, and Eaton/Lane won in 87 and 88, so Eaton/Lane might have gotten more votes but of course, it's not really that simple.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Jason Sextro posted:

Me too - Condrey/Eaton won Team of the Year in 86, and Eaton/Lane won in 87 and 88, so Eaton/Lane might have gotten more votes but of course, it's not really that simple.

Also kind of curious if Condrey/Rose got a vote or two, seeing as they were AWA World Tag Team Champions for a spell before feuding with Eaton/Lane

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
No Hart Foundation? That's weird af.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Numero6 posted:

No Hart Foundation? That's weird af.

Agreed. Owen/Bulldog and The British Bulldogs are there, but not Bret and Anvil? What's up with that?

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Even The High Flyers are there

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Sandman McMahon posted:

Agreed. Owen/Bulldog and The British Bulldogs are there, but not Bret and Anvil? What's up with that?

They weren't nearly as good as the British Bulldogs in a period where there were dozens of great teams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

The Hart Foundation was an extremely okay to somewhat good team that stood out in WWE tags at the time cause after the Bulldogs they were the next best tag team. WWF Tag teams were way behind the NWA in pretty much every way

• Locked thread