Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Remember this show as a kid? Well it's been like a decade since it came out. Did anyone ever figure out what's going on with his hair? Can I get a diagram or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's a plastic helmet. he's actually bald.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
The dark powers of Egypt gave him dyed blond tips.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
What I never understood is why Yugi--a nebbish little dork with a negligible number of friends at the beginning of the story, who isn't particularly concerned about his image, or heavy into any particular subculture apart from "games!" from what we see--is going around with giant Visual Kei hair and wearing chains and a choker and poo poo

Chalk it up to reincarnation I guess

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

The front bit, at least, is genetic from his Grandfather. Given they have the same spike shape on the front. The rest is probably magic from ancient Egypt though yeah.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Someone challenged him to a hair design competition, and the central conceit of the story is that he always wins games.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

tbf I don't think the chains come until post duelest kingdom when he gets the puzzle stolen by brainwashed keith and almost dies in a fire over it.

cardgame anime is weird.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Yu-Gi-Oh is insanely epic

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

OnimaruXLR posted:

a nebbish little dork with a negligible number of friends at the beginning of the story

OnimaruXLR posted:

is going around with giant Visual Kei hair and wearing chains and a choker and poo poo

Effect, cause.
:goonsay:

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

OnimaruXLR posted:

What I never understood is why Yugi--a nebbish little dork with a negligible number of friends at the beginning of the story, who isn't particularly concerned about his image, or heavy into any particular subculture apart from "games!" from what we see--is going around with giant Visual Kei hair and wearing chains and a choker and poo poo

Chalk it up to reincarnation I guess

The chain specifically came after Yugi's Millennium Puzzle was stolen by Bandit Keith.

Jeremiah Flintwick
Jan 14, 2010

King of Kings Ozysandwich am I. If any want to know how great I am and where I lie, let him outdo me in my work.

Yugi is a loving punk.

"Oh gee this duel's really tough, guess I'll call up an ancient egyptian spirit to just win for me."

How is that not just cheating?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Zartosht posted:

Yugi is a loving punk.

"Oh gee this duel's really tough, guess I'll call up an ancient egyptian spirit to just win for me."

Compared to what some of the other protagonists do, this is downright fair

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Ain't no rule says a dog can't play Duel Monsters.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

OnimaruXLR posted:

What I never understood is why Yugi--a nebbish little dork with a negligible number of friends at the beginning of the story

is going around with giant Visual Kei hair and wearing chains and a choker and poo poo

From the emo/goth kids I knew in high school this actually lines up pretty well, including "not deep into any hobbies or subcultures, maybe some nerdy stuff of some sort like card games". Like picture what they sell at a hot topic and who they sell it to.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
he's a saiyan

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
he has dark red hair (red only visible when in direct light) and he dyes his bangs blonde but also for some reason combs 3 strands of his bangs into his hair and lets the rest of them hang. also he gels it into spikes

hope this helps, OP.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
I actually know the reason for his hair, it came up during a discussion with a friend of mine who animates on that show while he was back home on his honeymoon

a computing pun
Jan 1, 2013

504 posted:

I actually know the reason for his hair, it came up during a discussion with a friend of mine who animates on that show while he was back home on his honeymoon

well go on then

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Zartosht posted:

Yugi is a loving punk.

the ancient egyptian spirit technically comes out on it's own to straight-up murder, in horrific ways, whoever is tormenting yugi that week

it's kind of a problem

it's only later that it gets addicted to card games and chills the gently caress out

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Apr 22, 2018

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
At least Yugi is playing against terrorists, evil ghosts, billionaire criminals and the like

the fuckin kid from Hikaru no Go is literally just loving with professional players careers by cheating cuz he's a little poo poo

Has Takeshi Obata ever drawn a manga with a protagonist who wasn't a punkass?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Season one has so many people murdered because Yugi happened to be there and the cops never investigated it because they don't wanna be another notch on his puzzle pyramid.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

well, he anime

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Crabtree posted:

Season one has so many people murdered because Yugi happened to be there and the cops never investigated it because they don't wanna be another notch on his puzzle pyramid.

yeah anyone who messes with that little dingus seems to get eaten by deadly snake monsters or lit on loving fire, i wouldn't go near him either

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

He probably leaves behind calling cards like a drat serial killer. The city gripped in fear of the Winged Kuriboh Mangler.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

It got bigger when it was time to d-d-d-duel

RME
Feb 20, 2012

When you’ve been styling your hair since ancient Egypt you probably have a few tips to pass on with your new vessel as you get there

No point in taking over if you can’t hit the style you want when you’re there after all

Kibibit
Sep 10, 2009

You must be a friend that's good at shredding!
The one with the sharpest hair wins

That's what Yu-Gi-Oh is!

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Kibibit posted:

The one with the sharpest hair wins

That's what Yu-Gi-Oh is!

So thats why this guy sucks so much.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
Its where the aincent litch thing in that necklas stores the soul of the child who body he steals to play a card gamr against children, adult children, and ancient horrors.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

504 posted:

WHat is it???

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I activate the spell card "just gently caress my poo poo right up fam"

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

504 posted:

but its based off of a manga....

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
lol at the idea of someone pretending to know the secrets of yugioh hair to sound cool for the internet

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

HitTheTargets posted:

He probably leaves behind calling cards like a drat serial killer. The city gripped in fear of the Winged Kuriboh Mangler.

Joey, Tristan and Tea only hang out and pal around with him because they're afraid one bad day is all it'll take for any of them to be next. And all he does is take them onto weird adventures to some rich rear end in a top hat's Battle Royal Island or other freaks with Ancient Anime Egypt poo poo going on with their hair or their accessories. Like a loving pedophile with some cheap eye poo poo in his skull or a white haired stalker with a killer backscratching thing.

And then there's Seto Kaiba and the less said about him the better.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
In the early manga, it's more obviously just particularly weird hair, the gold parts being gelled and dyed or something; it's still weird but it looks kind of like hair, without all the sharp angles and stuff, rather than metal spikes or whatever.

On a tangent from that, the early manga was amazing. Yugi going around cursing and murdering and destroying the minds terrible people after being them in ridiculous games was the best. I wish the manga had stayed about that really. It was great.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Crabtree posted:

Joey, Tristan and Tea only hang out and pal around with him because they're afraid one bad day is all it'll take for any of them to be next.

joey and tristan sure but tea is 110% down with it

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Average Bear posted:

Remember this show as a kid? Well it's been like a decade since it came out. Did anyone ever figure out what's going on with his hair? Can I get a diagram or something?

the mans gay obviously

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
The more ridiculous your premise, the more ridiculous the hair needs to be, to distract from it.

That's why later protagonists look like this

and when Pokemon started going to alternate dimensions they had to introduce this guy

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Roland Jones posted:

In the early manga, it's more obviously just particularly weird hair, the gold parts being gelled and dyed or something; it's still weird but it looks kind of like hair, without all the sharp angles and stuff, rather than metal spikes or whatever.

On a tangent from that, the early manga was amazing. Yugi going around cursing and murdering and destroying the minds terrible people after being them in ridiculous games was the best. I wish the manga had stayed about that really. It was great.

That YGO abridged episode where they poke fun of how psycho season 0 was with Yugi setting people on fire and stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
I still can't believe there was a loving classist post Apocalypse dystopia about card games on motor cycles.

I mean, I can understand the progression from an education system that just teaches people only how to play a children's card game at even more exorbitant college fees and teaching them basically nothing that can get you a job, that it would quickly turn to - uh, Mayan crop circles and the death of modern society; but racing bikes while also not watching the road to play holographic card games?!

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Apr 28, 2018

• Locked thread