Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

LingcodKilla posted:

She said the worst part of the job (she had night shift) was having to ignore all the kids moaning while jacking off through the night.

AUG: ignore all the kids moaning while jacking off

e: :synpa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Someone needs to make some Matt Smith Terminator Genesys shoes, or-better yet-Mystery of the Druids shoes.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

LingcodKilla posted:

She said the worst part of the job (she had night shift) was having to ignore all the kids moaning while jacking off through the night.

You'd think hearing someone moan while you're jacking off would enhance the experience

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Finally fashion for the vore enthusiasts out there.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

HenryEx posted:

You'd think hearing someone moan while you're jacking off would enhance the experience

I mean, it's usually yourself, so swings and roundabouts

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

I masturbate in absolute silence, quieter than a church mouse on prom night. It's my superpower.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

HenryEx posted:

Goddamn commas.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I went to college with a girl who was born partially deaf. Hearing her talk about her experiences being between the deaf and hearing worlds was interesting but also kind of depressing. The deaf community apparently can be actively insular to the point that there was a massive scandal about a deaf woman who got elected president of...some thing or another. I think it was a school.

The scandal? She married a hearing person and wasn't the child of two deaf parents. The view of a ton of people in the community, even though she was a stellar person who by all rights definitely deserved the position, was that she Didn't Get It because one of her parents and her husband could hear.

Sounds like Gallaudet University in Washington DC, a lot of people have got issues there.
" In 1988 the university faced a campus wide protest after Elizabeth Zinser (a hearing person) was selected as the President of The university. Students demanded that the University hire a deaf person as the new university president instead. Despite the fact that Gallaudet prides itself on diversity, students barricaded the campus entrances and burned trustees in effigy in what a former student described as “an attempt to force the university to hire someone ‘like them.'” The movement known as “Deaf President Now” eventually resulted in the hiring of I. King Jordan."

Better view: https://www.insidehighered.com/views/2006/10/31/real-issues-gallaudet

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
There's a recent Dollop episode about the Deaf President Now movement that's great

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Actually they initially wanted a deaf president, but when called up to the podium they didn't respond so they had to go with the next choice.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I did my Masters and Ph.D. at Gallaudet (and we learned about DPN in my undergrad classes).

The big issue with DPN was that the Gallaudet community had been pushing for a Deaf President at the university, and had two qualified Deaf candidates : I. King Jordan (deafened in his twenties after a motorcycle accident) and Harvey Corson (at the time, director of the American School for the Deaf). The Gallaudet Board of Trustees, the majority of which were hearing, passed them both over for Elizabeth Zinser, the lone hearing candidate in the final three.

After six days, Zinser resigned and I. King Jordan was appointed the new president.

When he retired in 2006, there were grumblings of a new protest, because Jane K. Fernandes wasn't seen as 'Deaf enough'. She'd been raised oral and only learning ASL as an adult.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

What a bunch of babies.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
I don't mean to sound like an rear end in a top hat, but why does the Deaf/deaf(?) community use capital-D Deaf? Or does that refer to a specific part of the deaf community? Or...?

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

T-man posted:

I masturbate in absolute silence, quieter than a church mouse on prom night. It's my superpower.

Hello, police? I have a lead on the Phantom Library Jizzer.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Stoatbringer posted:

Hello, police? I have a lead on the Phantom Library Jizzer.

*T-Man throws down a smoke/glitter bomb that hides her escape, then forms into the letters G O V E G A N Y O U T U R D S*

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Toe Story

Dick Burglar posted:

I don't mean to sound like an rear end in a top hat, but why does the Deaf/deaf(?) community use capital-D Deaf? Or does that refer to a specific part of the deaf community? Or...?

It's a cultural identifier. Someone who is deaf might not be a part of the Deaf community, but all members of the Deaf community are deaf to some extent.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Dick Burglar posted:

'Capital D' Deaf refers to a deaf person that uses sign and is part of the signing community. 'Little d' deaf is when a person has hearing loss but uses hearing aids/a cochlear implant/doesn't use sign language.

I really only met one 'militant' Deaf person in my time at Gallaudet who crapped on me for being hearing/non-Native signer. But they weren't a native singer either, so I have no clue what was going on there. I wasn't an audiologist or speech pathologist.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

LadyPictureShow posted:

'Capital D' Deaf refers to a deaf person that uses sign and is part of the signing community. 'Little d' deaf is when a person has hearing loss but uses hearing aids/a cochlear implant/doesn't use sign language.

I really only met one 'militant' Deaf person in my time at Gallaudet who crapped on me for being hearing/non-Native signer. But they weren't a native singer either, so I have no clue what was going on there. I wasn't an audiologist or speech pathologist.

sneak up on him and hit with a pillow really loving hard

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

LadyPictureShow posted:

So some are totally deaf, and some are only Mos Def

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

This is the worst thing I’ve ever seen in this thread. And I’ve been reading it for many years. Like, I can’t summon the words to describe the feeling I have after reading that. It’s a colorful mélange of unhappy and disgust. I finally know exactly what this icon means :smith:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Dick Burglar posted:

They crafted a community to have a feeling of belonging and took approximately 5 seconds to turn it into tribalism, as normal.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Bogus Adventure posted:

Someone needs to make some Matt Smith Terminator Genesys shoes, or-better yet-Mystery of the Druids shoes.

Or yikes the end of Sleepaway Camp

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Well, at least they're not urinals like I thought at first glance.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Knormal posted:

The bar can get so low in this thread :smith:

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005

Step 1: remove hands
Step 2: invent paws to replace hands.*

*in progress

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I assumed he would get some kind of apparatus to wear that is shaped like paws and let phantom limb syndrome do the rest

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Lakedaimon posted:

Or yikes the end of Sleepaway Camp

:getin:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

LadyPictureShow posted:

Tf is a native signer? Do they bully who were born with beating and went deaf late in life?

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Knormal posted:

Here yuh go.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Heath posted:

I assumed he would get some kind of apparatus to wear that is shaped like paws and let phantom limb syndrome do the rest

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Paladinus posted:

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?

To make fun of people like that.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

steinrokkan posted:

Tf is a native signer? Do they bully who were born with beating and went deaf late in life?

Person with Deaf parents, they learn ASL from birth. It's like someone born to French speaking parents, they're a native French speaker.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Purgatory Glory posted:

Step 1: remove hands
Step 2: invent paws to replace hands.*

*in progress

Ya know in retrospect it would have been a lot easier to invent and built robot paws if I still had my hands.......

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
So the Deaf community is basically the Wizarding World.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Do these 'Deaf Community' snobs have a hierarchy of sign languages? Is there one that one needs to use to be 'authentically' Deaf?

Because I recently found out that American Sign Language is as different to Australian Sign Language as English is to French, even though ostensibly they are both using English. And French Sign Language is a different thing altogether.

So let's say an Australian Deaf person meets a French Deaf person and an American Deaf person, they wouldn't be able to understand each other. I think there might be similarities, and they might be able to muddle through, but communication would be difficult. So would they look down on each other, for not speaking their Sign Language, and therefore not being deaf enough?

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

BrigadierSensible posted:

Do these 'Deaf Community' snobs have a hierarchy of sign languages? Is there one that one needs to use to be 'authentically' Deaf?

Because I recently found out that American Sign Language is as different to Australian Sign Language as English is to French, even though ostensibly they are both using English. And French Sign Language is a different thing altogether.
No no, American Sign Language and Australian Sign Language aren't just English translated into gestures. They are full languages in and of themselves. There's no reason they would have anything to do with each other.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

BrigadierSensible posted:

So let's say an Australian Deaf person meets a French Deaf person and an American Deaf person, they wouldn't be able to understand each other. I think there might be similarities, and they might be able to muddle through, but communication would be difficult. So would they look down on each other, for not speaking their Sign Language, and therefore not being deaf enough?

It's more about asserting that deafness is not a disability. That's why you see the snob come out when people cure it, live in a speaking home. Stuff like that.

Theres some messed up historical stuff. Alexander Graham bell (yeah that one) went full eugenics and tried to stop deaf people from breeding. Chemical castration and stuff. In america. In real life

The community definitely crosses some lines but theres some complex reasons there, it's not just that they are jerks. (Some are super jerks though)

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost
I've never heard of "deafening surgery", but i do believe theres folks who go for in vitro to ensure an embryo that will come out deaf.

We had a Deaf poster on the forums a while back, deafbypills, i think. He was very adamant about deafness not being a disability in any way, and that cochlear implants could be viewed as something like ethnic cleansing, though i think this was LF so he couldve also been a troll or devils advocate type.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

It sounds so surreal if you are just learning about. But it is A Thing.

Again pretty sure the enthic cleansing cultural fear came from Bell trying to eugenics them out of existance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Bombadilillo posted:

It sounds so surreal if you are just learning about. But it is A Thing.

Again pretty sure the enthic cleansing cultural fear came from Bell trying to eugenics them out of existance.

Yeah, the girl I mentioned had...some mechanical assistance of some sort. I forget what, exactly. They weren't implants but she definitely had things on her ears that helped her hear almost normally. She got poo poo from the capital D Deaf groups for using any kind of hearing aid whatsoever. It always struck me as really bizarre as I have yet to meet a single hearing person who gave a poo poo about whether somebody uses a hearing aid or not.