Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

LingcodKilla posted:

Did elastic really not exist until after the 40s?

poo poo im gonna have to google this one.

My mum is 89 (born in 1929), so she was a pre-teen/teen in the early to mid 1940s -- when I was a kid in the 1970s, she was adamant that I wear only granny-pants under my school uniform (as opposed to bikini or hip-huggers) because 'They don't stay up! And there's nothing more embarrassing than to have your knickers fall down in public!!' Having your drawers or knickers fall down for whatever reason in the pre-modern elastic era was enough of a thing that it showed up in children's stories in the pre-decent elastic era and something 1940s tweens worried about because 'they knew someone it happened to!' (She claims it happened to her). Early elastics also tended to dry out in summer heat and become useless because they broke or stretched out and didn't snap back.

And now I have the Rutles' 'Knicker-elastic King' stuck in my head.

Brief (HA!) history of modern underwear

https://blog.findmypast.co.uk/pants-9-ways-underwear-changed-forever-in-1939-1434540101.html

KnickersFact! posted:

Elastic became increasingly common in underwear, replacing the buttons and clasps of previous years and making everyone sing in the streets like a scene from the Billy Elliot musical. Unfortunately in many cases it wasn't actually sewn into the underwear, simply threaded through and held together at a single seam. This meant many people had the unfortunate experience of a seam popping and their underwear falling to the floor.

Stoatbringer posted:

It's nature's toothbrush, you ignoramus!

So a missing episode of a Peter Davison Doctor Who serial? Huh.

Ms Boods has a new favorite as of 08:46 on Aug 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

text me a vag pic posted:

no

hopre ur not toying w/ me tho because

Garth Merenghi: Schooldays.