Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carnival of Shrews
Mar 27, 2013

You're not David Attenborough

fizzymercy posted:

I just farted, queefed, sneezed, coughed, burped AND farted again, but louder all in one sexy 20 second burst. In the mall food court with a jolly holiday audience. On a first date.

I wanted to brag and I think this is the right spot.

ITT: dating tips from James Joyce.

The author of Ulysses posted:

I think I would know Nora’s fart anywhere. I think I could pick hers out in a roomful of farting women. It is a rather girlish noise not like the wet windy fart which I imagine fat wives have. It is sudden and dry and dirty like what a bold girl would let off in fun in a school dormitory at night. I hope Nora will let off no end of her farts in my face so that I may know their smell also.

This is very, very much the mildest of it. More here:

:nws: Get away from me, James Joyce :nws:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carnival of Shrews
Mar 27, 2013

Panfilo posted:

I'm honestly morbidly curious how wild Nora was honestly. Because the letters suggest she's down with all this kinky stuff, but I haven't read any letters from her to him.So for all I know she could be pretty vanilla but just really open to indulging in all the weird farting business her husband obsesses over.

Probably a little from each column. The letters were written while Joyce was in Ireland trying to sell 'Dubliners' (to a publisher in Dublin, appropriately) and Nora was living in Italy, and sending dirty letters back and forth would have been a way to keep him thinking of her since he was not a very sexually faithful man. On the other hand, they do seem to have really been in love (they were a couple for 27 years before they married, which was pretty scandalous for the time, but does not seem to have bothered either of them).

Joyce was punctilious about polite language in his everyday life. I guess it's pretty flattering, in its weird way, if an uptight genius confesses that the passion you alone can unleash drives him into a secret frenzy of smut. Apparently Nora didn't read the majority of Joyce's books, presumably for dread of what snippets of their personal life she might find. Still, her letters were spicy enough to have been destroyed by her executors (maybe Stephen Joyce, her grandson, as suggested by the owner of the site that had the excerpts on it):

quote:

If I remember rightly the long-gone and out of print book from which these came actually mentioned that after Nora’s death, Stephen Joyce (I think) did destroy the counterparts to these letters written by her. Joyce’s letters were already elsewhere and beyond his reach, so he had to settle for pressurising the publishers of the book and anybody else who sought to reproduce the material.

The real Awkward in this tale might be financial. 14 years ago, a single one of Joyce's randy missives to Nora sold for almost £250K, which may still be the world record for a C20 letter sold at auction (Joyce's ordinary letters tend to be more in the 10-30K range). OK, Nora is not the world-famous writer of the couple, but even so, my guess is that whoever got rid of her letters probably destroyed at least half a million pounds' worth of literary flatulence.

Carnival of Shrews
Mar 27, 2013

Tubgoat posted:

No it's not, a cat would never eat bread.

Content:

Madness, madness. There is no hope. Madness! I can see that now.

Carnival of Shrews
Mar 27, 2013

I can't tell if the desired look here is Anders Breivik or Norman Stansfield, but I've got a worrying feeling the answer is 'both'.

Carnival of Shrews
Mar 27, 2013

Ralph Crammed In posted:

It's also why you don't hold a cannon in your hands or a landmine.

Maybe it's just British wizards that are like this. Maybe there's some good ol boy wizards in Alabama fishing with magic dynamite and shooting at road signs with enchanted rifles.

From http://www.heromachine.com/2010/07/13/sod-194-never-try-to-sell-fake-skoal-to-a-redneck-wizard/

Carnival of Shrews
Mar 27, 2013

Miz Kriss posted:

https://i.imgur.com/cQ6mG6o.mp4

I found this too gross to put it in the gif thread

Ah, finally something wholesomely AUG. It's missing something, though: pearlfish.

Fairly scientific and factual vid about pearlfish:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6NIG3KkwLE

Worryingly enthusiastic vid about pearlfish, with bonus endoscopy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOoZ6wHiSnI

"Having said that, there have to be better places to live than up the rear end of a sea cucumber..."

Carnival of Shrews has a new favorite as of 17:15 on Mar 3, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carnival of Shrews
Mar 27, 2013

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I don't care about repeating holes, unless it's a part of something "biological", for lack of a likely way better term.

As an experiment, how about this hybrid shoe-pod:

The lotus pod holes are taken from a photo on the article below, which agrees that trypophobia isn't a true phobia, but more of a disgust response - though it seems to be common - and suggests the reason for the discomfort is because close-spaced spots are used as a warning pattern in nature (I'm not 100% convinced by this):

https://www.businessinsider.com/fear-holes-bumps-science-trypophobia-2017-6

I always assumed it was because irregular, close-spaced small holes (or bumps) look quite a lot like some botfly infestations of the skin, especially ones caused by mango worms.