Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

The Ninth Layer posted:

"Do you think he is lying?" I cannot think of any other reason bowmore would advance a position so transparently against the interests of the guild.
if we leave him alive he either dies tonight or is scum, lives, and continues to spread mis-information until he eventually gets lynched to test the claim

he claimed so early and with no pressure. and with nothing useful to provide except for possible future value

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

SalTheBard posted:

I was pretty loving pumped
if you are a cop then you hosed it up, good work+

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

bowmore posted:

if we leave him alive he either dies tonight or is scum, lives, and continues to spread mis-information until he eventually gets lynched to test the claim

he claimed so early and with no pressure. and with nothing useful to provide except for possible future value

No pressure? No votes? I was at 5. 8 were needed.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
with like 3 and a half hours to go

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
nobody asked you to claim

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

bowmore posted:

What are you even talking about??

This is complete nonsense.

##unvote
##vote bowmore

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

bowmore posted:

"You did not answer my question. Do you think he is lying?"

It seems bownore wants us to vote Sal out to save the killer the effort of killing him.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

The Ninth Layer posted:

It seems bownore wants us to vote Sal out to save the killer the effort of killing him.
he is possibly lying to save his own skin, there is no way to know for sure right now

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Asiina posted:

What are you even talking about??

This is complete nonsense.

##unvote
##vote bowmore
uhuh

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

bowmore posted:

nobody asked you to claim

No loving poo poo. Do you think I wanted to? This is literally the last move I had. Scum are killing someone tonight and it will probably be me. Better to try to actually you know kill a scum player tonight that kill 2 townies.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

The Ninth Layer posted:

Which makes 0 sense to me and it's a pretty weak rear end justification.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

SalTheBard posted:

No loving poo poo. Do you think I wanted to? This is literally the last move I had. Scum are killing someone tonight and it will probably be me. Better to try to actually you know kill a scum player tonight that kill 2 townies.
You could have made a case on someone you thought was scum instead, plenty of time to do so

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

bowmore posted:

he is possibly lying to save his own skin, there is no way to know for sure right now

"Alternatively, he is telling the truth and is quite valuable to the guild. If there is no way to know for sure right now, then why not wait and gather more information over time?"

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

bowmore posted:

You could have made a case on someone you thought was scum instead, plenty of time to do so

Who is going to believe any case I make right now?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

The Ninth Layer posted:

"Alternatively, he is telling the truth and is quite valuable to the guild. If there is no way to know for sure right now, then why not wait and gather more information over time?"

bowmore posted:

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

I don't see Sal's claim as overly hasty. If there were three people needed to achieve a consensus on him it was better to do it then then wait until later."

I feel suspicious thinking you are trying to push the angle that he claimed ahead of time and thus we now need to execute him.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

SalTheBard posted:

"Stop being so fatalistic. You are not dead yet. Stand tall and have faith in your abilities as an assassin."

Besides, it is not a given that Sal will die tonight. Assassins have been known to look out for their guildmates in a tight spot before.

Perhaps bownore also forgot this in his rush to declare Sal doomed?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

The Ninth Layer posted:

"Stop being so fatalistic. You are not dead yet. Stand tall and have faith in your abilities as an assassin."

Besides, it is not a given that Sal will die tonight. Assassins have been known to look out for their guildmates in a tight spot before.

Perhaps bownore also forgot this in his rush to declare Sal doomed?

Haha thanks. I did think about the possibility of being saved but didn't want to mention it.

Atomic Soda
Jun 9, 2005

drink this baby
good morning.

##unvote

should obviously lurk more.

The Ninth Layer posted:

I find these comments suspect for several reasons.

AS simultaneously acknowledges Podima's defense of her accusations but then repeats those accusations to anotherr without any sign of taking Podima's defense to account.

When challenged to explain why Atomic Soda's accusations speak at all to alignment, AS instead simply repeats them verbatim, as if unwilling or unable to explore them further.

AS offers two very disposable, unexplained reads of others here and ends the statement disparaging Asiina's vote and implying Asiina needs to post opinions of others. It is as if Atomic Sofa offered up these quick opinions solely to accuse Asiina of not having done the same.

An assassin should always trust their instincts. Mine are telling me to ##unvote ##vote Atomic Soda

can you please tell me how my pod reads don't speak to my view on his alignment. i'm having trouble figuring out exactly what you want from my day 1 pod case - i smelled fishing, i didn't like the tone of posts, i thought he was stretching a point on aa. god you guys make me feel like the dumbest rear end in a top hat on earth sometimes.

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
I get catching up, but I think bowmore looks weird for the series of posts leading up to Sal's claim are bad, and then this

bowmore posted:

This type of either/or situation is bad, it misrepresents all possibilities.

Rereading sal atm, but I really don't like the absenteeism followed by quick post persecution on subject with suspicion established by other players.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I don't get why people are so quick to jump to sals defense after claiming cop

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

bowmore posted:

I don't get why people are so quick to jump to sals defense after claiming cop

Because they are town and don't necessarily want to lose a power role?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
you've already ruined you're usefulness imo

Atomic Soda
Jun 9, 2005

drink this baby
someone asked me re: my bad feels on sober.

this is the post i was looking at.

IllegallySober posted:

##unvote

Oh good, another game with a miller? Thanks, Ecco :colbert:

Good post, I agree.

Somewhat agree with this too although I feel like I've played a game with her recently where she insisted she'd switched up her meta and that turned out to be the case. We'll see.

Lol, our team got so boned because of that mechanic (and because my play sucked, but, y'know).

Feel like this is trying really hard to be a gotcha way too early D1. I don't like it.

Like the gimmick and I know Ecco appreciates it but I ain't reading this much D1, sorry.

I kinda don't either. Consider myself pinged.

That's my "hot takes" for now.

- i don't think its a good post, which i covered.
- last time i played w asiina she was town and rage quit (after significant provocation)
- didn't see cckeanes post as a gotcha, just scum hunting.

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
Duck phone posting. Just deleted a big post
Djdiamrksjepsjf9em

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Atomic Soda posted:

good morning.

##unvote

should obviously lurk more.

can you please tell me how my pod reads don't speak to my view on his alignment. i'm having trouble figuring out exactly what you want from my day 1 pod case - i smelled fishing, i didn't like the tone of posts, i thought he was stretching a point on aa. god you guys make me feel like the dumbest rear end in a top hat on earth sometimes.

"How does "booooo what a boring miller claim" speak at all to alignment, let alone convey a 'negative slant?'

"Where is this fishing you keep talking about? What do you think he was fishing for?

"Why are you still suspicious of him for attempting to clarify a statement you both agreed was hard to parse?"

Above all, why are these same points repeated verbatim as if this case is still worth defending?

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Catching up.

Monathin posted:

Against my better judgement, I am trying to see where the Classic Keane ends and the Suspicious Keane begins.

Maybe I'll focus on you the next day.

Sal, to me, is someone who plays cautious - sometimes overtly so. It's, at best, a read based more on Sal's character. He gets flustered easily and backtracks quickly, but rarely would I see him say something as brazen as 'if you don't justify a vote don't make it'. Maybe that's a bad read, personally, but I consider itself something that reads more like scum who got caught trying to posture in such a way to keep more votes forming on them.

The first half of this was almost word-for-word my meta read on Sal given the last game we were both in together as scum. I'm not sure I had the same read on the "justify a vote" quote as you did at this point, though, ironically because of that same gut meta read. In my experience, scum Sal did everything possible to fly under the radar and the backtracking I've seen from him is the opposite of the challenging tone he took here.

SalTheBard posted:

Mona I really don't like this post. The reason I said something so brazen is because when asking in good faith what a person doesn't like about a post so that I can attempt to clarify I instead get stonewalled. In hoping to get an answer I posted what I posted. I don't care if you think it's scum. I asked in good faith for an argument and I got NOTHING. If you can't defend a vote don't make it. I don't think thats a harsh or brazen statement.

I'm not sure I like the doubling-down here, though. Sal, you know the scum aren't required to operate in good faith, right? I'd have expected a town player to call out the lack of response or justification, but not to go all :kingsley: about it.

As this continues to degenerate into Keane :ese: vs. Sal :rant:, I'm starting to change my thought on Sal, though. I like Keane's responses to almost everything Sal says and lean solidly as town on him as a result. Sal starting to read much more strongly as scum frustrated to be caught.

"Shaking in fury"...come on, dude.

The Ninth Layer posted:

I find these comments suspect for several reasons.

AS simultaneously acknowledges Podima's defense of her accusations but then repeats those accusations to anotherr without any sign of taking Podima's defense to account.

When challenged to explain why Atomic Soda's accusations speak at all to alignment, AS instead simply repeats them verbatim, as if unwilling or unable to explore them further.

AS offers two very disposable, unexplained reads of others here and ends the statement disparaging Asiina's vote and implying Asiina needs to post opinions of others. It is as if Atomic Sofa offered up these quick opinions solely to accuse Asiina of not having done the same.

An assassin should always trust their instincts. Mine are telling me to ##unvote ##vote Atomic Soda

Quoting this to remind me to go back and re-read AS to see if I agree with this case. I think it was an earlier post and missed it but caught BK's reply to it.

At -5?

For real?

Screams of pulling the ripcord too early. I'm willing to listen to argument but I don't buy what I'm being sold here.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

IllegallySober posted:

At -5?

For real?

Screams of pulling the ripcord too early. I'm willing to listen to argument but I don't buy what I'm being sold here.
loving finally

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

SalTheBard posted:

No pressure? No votes? I was at 5. 8 were needed.

Saw this once I hit post. I think we were both wrong and you had four votes on you, bowmore's being the only other one added since Ecco posted the count, when you claimed.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I would rather Sal had claimed when he did rather than 45 minutes before deadline after three hours of people parking their votes on him and leaving.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

IllegallySober posted:

Then vote for me. I really don't care. This is my last post because honestly I don't know why this game is effecting me the way it is.

Fact 1 - I'm Town
Fact 2 - I'm a Cop

I've operated in good faith this whole game.

##vote Bowmore this is purely an OMGUS vote but I think it's a safe one. I wish I hadn't even posted in this thread today.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

The Ninth Layer posted:

I would rather Sal had claimed when he did rather than 45 minutes before deadline after three hours of people parking their votes on him and leaving.

I suppose there's some merit to this argument but I think there's a middle ground, too. In re-reading I actually was under the impression that the people with time-zone challenges who aren't going to be around for deadline were on other people, not Sal. Am I mistaken?

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

IllegallySober posted:

At -5?

For real?

Pretty sure he was at -3, but I could be wrong.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

SalTheBard posted:

Then vote for me. I really don't care. This is my last post because honestly I don't know why this game is effecting me the way it is.

Fact 1 - I'm Town
Fact 2 - I'm a Cop

##vote Bowmore this is purely an OMGUS vote but I think it's a safe one. I wish I hadn't even posted in this thread today.

If you truly are a town cop I wish you hadn't, too. You've dug a rather large hole here.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Monathin posted:

Pretty sure he was at -3, but I could be wrong.

Ah, missed you caught that, sorry.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

SalTheBard posted:

Fact 1 - I'm Town
Fact 2 - I'm a Cop

love it when people take their ball and go home :jerkbag:

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
However, I will survive this tragedy of having lost my casework and begin anew, stronger, and more confident.

Ahem~!

In short:
I think Max and Bowmore look the worst in the persecution of Sal, whom I believe is town. They also claimed cop.

Bowmore
I get catching up, but I feel like Bowmore's posting accomplishes one thing...

Furthering to condemn a player who already had an established case on them, albeit not one I agree with.

bowmore posted:

nothing has happened as far as I can tell

Max posted:

Lazy. Plenty has happened and is still happening.

##unvote
##vote bowmore
Leaving that there for now until you post more.

bowmore posted:

not sure why max is going after me apart from being a ~lurker~

i'm not confident in calling him scum for it though

This is a strange interaction.

I imagine absentee Bowmore had been prodded by Max.

Bowmore comes to the thread with the same zeal they've had all game, a negligible amount.

The Bowmore's next post in this game a minute later is him weighing in on Sal, and then using a meta-explanation of Asiina's play and behavior to justify him thinking Sal might be scum.

However those posts, while bad, aren't what really set me off about Bowmore...

It is this:

bowmore posted:

"he either dies tonight or is scum"

This type of binary misrepresentation of the night's outcome limits the actual possibilities of what could occur.

I don't like it because it creates a false-narrative based on not even setup speculation, just nothing.

##unvote ##vote bowmore

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Quoting Vitefinder on mobile is breaking the gently caress out of my phone for some reason but this is what I see:

EccoRaven posted:

here is a robot's interpretation of the votecount, let's see if it is accurate!

:c: The Current Day 1 Votecount :c:

SalTheBard (3):

bowmore posted:

##vote Sal

the defensiveness is triggering me

gut call for sure

Atomic Soda
Jun 9, 2005

drink this baby

The Ninth Layer posted:

"How does "booooo what a boring miller claim" speak at all to alignment, let alone convey a 'negative slant?'

"Where is this fishing you keep talking about? What do you think he was fishing for?

"Why are you still suspicious of him for attempting to clarify a statement you both agreed was hard to parse?"

Above all, why are these same points repeated verbatim as if this case is still worth defending?

- cause yami is a new player, and it felt like a negative comment for an action i thought was a good one.
- i think he might have been fishing for cops, i thought this was the most obvious bit.
- maybe cause i think highly of pod, but also because it felt a little bit like a 'throw something to the wind and see if it sticks".
- i keep getting asked/cased about, plus these are my reasons. i have obviously picked up that you and others think they are rubbish, sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

IllegallySober posted:

I suppose there's some merit to this argument but I think there's a middle ground, too. In re-reading I actually was under the impression that the people with time-zone challenges who aren't going to be around for deadline were on other people, not Sal. Am I mistaken?

"Perhaps Sal could have afforded to wait longer." But at four votes as vote leader, probably not too much longer.

• Locked thread