Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

SalTheBard posted:

I assumed that had to do with Miller flavor since if I copped him it would come back opposite

Okay, so does IPs claim of similar flavor make sense then? Do both jive with what you have?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atomic Soda
Jun 9, 2005

drink this baby

Podima posted:

Yeah but that's after a night phase (and almost a full IRL day) passed in between those posts, which I pointed out when Yami tried to say the same thing. Are you reading Asiina's post history in isolation?

i did see that. you seem to be pretty sure asiina is town pod.

i'm saying that there are no posts between her voting bowmore, and her coming to the thread to say she thought bowmore might have been a cop. this to me looks like distancing from her previous vote.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
the deadline is super super super floating. have fun.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Atomic Soda posted:

i did see that. you seem to be pretty sure asiina is town pod.

i'm saying that there are no posts between her voting bowmore, and her coming to the thread to say she thought bowmore might have been a cop. this to me looks like distancing from her previous vote.

I have a more charitable read of the situation than you do, but fair. I think you are ignoring other possibilities.

Do you have any other points against Asiina? I saw that you were pinged by a post early on but am curious if there's more than that.

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

EccoRaven posted:

Fantastic.

I'll be back in a couple hours.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I mean I'm not making promises on how late I'll be up/how sober I'll be. I've got a big day of drinking tomorrow and need to leave the house by 10 AM sooooo.

Atomic Soda
Jun 9, 2005

drink this baby
its mostly that, plus gut vibes from the below.

Asiina posted:

But this is a text-based game, Sal.

You can't see if I'm raising my hand or not.

Unless you have cameras in here!!!

while in joke phase, thought this post was awkward. just a gut ping though.

knowing i'm town, i was suss on her push re: me. i didn't get the same vibe from tnl though that means very little at this stage i realise. i suppose i'm still confused why they thought my case re: pod didn't say why i thought you where scum, but maybe someone can explain it too me after this game lol.

Atomic Soda
Jun 9, 2005

drink this baby

EccoRaven posted:

welp i'm out for pancakes, back in a few hours.

thankyou also pod i am feeling much better today.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

I'm going to be largely unavailable tomorrow, for I will be dodging balls.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

Podima posted:

Assuming this is referring to you in the masonry, who was venting frustration and why?

We were talking about WIFOMing too hard and trying to avoid it while also still chasing our suspicions. It was a mutual conversation?

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Podima posted:

What's your opinion on AA and IcePhoenix for now, then?

AA's posts in context of the thread have honestly been a bit of a blank spot for me. Your request was the first time I've isolated his posts.

I skimmed them while I was in stop-and-go traffic (don't drive distracted, kids- do as I say, not as I do) and I was okay with the majority of his D1 posting and thought he made okay arguments. Obviously the bowmore push was mistaken, but it's D1, fine. He closed yesterday and opened today with two posts referencing ~reasons~ which look weird out of context:

Anomalous Amalgam posted:

I hate to make a last minute switch like that, but I've got reasons and it's bed time in my household so I'm out.

##unvote

Reasons.

I know I came out the gate voting Moat, and I neither have the interest or the time to explain this flip-flop.

I'll be around later this IRL day to address anything that needs addressing.

I don't think these were followed up on?

Overall, today is a blank like many players but apart from the ~reasons~ stuff I lean town.

IP doesn't have a lot of posts to go on. I don't like that they were absent for deadline and they need to post more.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

I think we should vote moat because 1) my case 2) it rhymes

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

I'm gonna be gone for the most part until the Vegas hockey game is over (2 hours?)

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I'm not confident that "super super super floating" equates to hours so I'm uneasy about the number of folks vanishing for that long.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

CCKeane posted:

Yami said he was a mysterious stranger that couldn't be trusted. If you could psychicly read their minds, surely that wouldn't be relevant?

This makes a lot of sense to me. I haven't played in an ecco game before but it seems like flavor matters quite a bit.

I don't want to not have a vote down again so for now, ##vote Yami

IllegallySober posted:

IP doesn't have a lot of posts to go on. I don't like that they were absent for deadline and they need to post more.

I know it's cliche by now but I was sick Monday-Wednesday and ended up in bed really early Wednesday night.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

CCKeane posted:

Yami said he was a mysterious stranger that couldn't be trusted. If you could psychicly read their minds, surely that wouldn't be relevant?

"Keane, I'm suspicious of this reasoning. I'm suspicious because it's a good post and I agree with it."

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Buckling down to get some poo poo done. My biggest issue is that I think Yami is scum, however that would mean that the first post Miller claim was a gambit (and a pretty impressive one at that).

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

SalTheBard posted:

Buckling down to get some poo poo done. My biggest issue is that I think Yami is scum, however that would mean that the first post Miller claim was a gambit (and a pretty impressive one at that).

Ding ding doodle bepo boop.

##unvote
##vote: Yami

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

i dont want to no lynch but i feel much more comfortable with a moat lynch than a yami one.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

BottleKnight posted:

i dont want to no lynch but i feel much more comfortable with a moat lynch than a yami one.

I'm confident Yami is a better vote than moat.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

ok. i dont get scum vibes from yami at all but admittedly i am confused by this flavor thing.

hope there are enough people around for a lynch

##vote yami

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

CCKeane posted:

I'm confident Yami is a better vote than moat.

BK the deadline is floating so we have plenty of time to decide. It won't be a no lynch.

Keane why do you think Yami is a better choice than Moat? Do you think Yami is really just trying to run a gambit with the Miller claim? I'll be honest most of Yami's interactions with me last night were pretty scummy so I'm inclined to go along with you, but the Miller claim still feels really weird to me.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

BottleKnight posted:

ok. i dont get scum vibes from yami at all but admittedly i am confused by this flavor thing.

##vote yami

oops eccogame

##unvote

##vote yami

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

SalTheBard posted:

BK the deadline is floating so we have plenty of time to decide. It won't be a no lynch.

Keane why do you think Yami is a better choice than Moat? Do you think Yami is really just trying to run a gambit with the Miller claim? I'll be honest most of Yami's interactions with me last night were pretty scummy so I'm inclined to go along with you, but the Miller claim still feels really weird to me.

Sal please, you keep going back and forth instead of making a judgment call yourself. What was scummy about Yami's interactions, and why is it not enough to override the miller claim?

The deadline being floating is no guarantee, it is over a hour past the original deadline and Ecco could theoretically throw the brakes on at any time.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

I agree that although the deadline is floating, we need to move towards a consensus, and my vote on AS isn't doing anything productive today.

##unvote

##vote Yami

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
:c: The Current Day 2 Votecount :c:

Yami Fenrir (6): Moatillata, Podima, IcePhoenix, CCKeane, BottleKnight, IllegallySober
Asiina (2): Yami Fenrir, Atomic Soda
Moatillata (1): Anomalous Amalgam, -Anomalous Amalgam, BottleKnight, Monathin, -BottleKnight
Atomic Soda (0): IllegallySober, -IllegallySober

Not Voting (4): Anomalous Amalgam, Asiina, GeneX, SalTheBard

:h: With 13 players alive, it takes 7 votes to be executed.
:d: The current deadline is May 04th, 2018 at 11 p.m. EDT -- that's in about 0 minutes from this post.

:)

Atomic Soda
Jun 9, 2005

drink this baby
lets vote fo the new player making effort posts who first post claimed miller

good plan

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Podima posted:

Sal please, you keep going back and forth instead of making a judgment call yourself. What was scummy about Yami's interactions, and why is it not enough to override the miller claim?

The deadline being floating is no guarantee, it is over a hour past the original deadline and Ecco could theoretically throw the brakes on at any time.

I'm re-reading Yami right now. Give me a few please :)

Atomic Soda
Jun 9, 2005

drink this baby

BottleKnight posted:

##vote yami

there is always the possibility that sal is fibbing. i have no scum vibes from yami either. as far as i can tell from mason chat both of us would prefer to lunch the other so i don't know why you are voting yami, esp since you say you get no scum vibes at all from him.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

SalTheBard posted:

I'm re-reading Yami right now. Give me a few please :)

##unvote since my vote was -1.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Atomic Soda posted:

there is always the possibility that sal is fibbing. i have no scum vibes from yami either. as far as i can tell from mason chat both of us would prefer to lunch the other so i don't know why you are voting yami, esp since you say you get no scum vibes at all from him.

maybe its the post two above when i say i dont want to no lynch

i would rather lunch you or moat or probably multiple other people but i always would rather town get info from a lunch than not.

Atomic Soda
Jun 9, 2005

drink this baby

BottleKnight posted:

maybe its the post two above when i say i dont want to no lynch

i would rather lunch you or moat or probably multiple other people but i always would rather town get info from a lunch than not.

i dunno i thought we had more time w floating deadline, which could be used to push someone who you have at least some scum vibes from.

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
Eh, I just reread the game. I could potentially see a case on asiina. Yami feels like a push to capitalize on time zones.

Given my own status in multiple masonries, I don't doubt that scum are probably dispersed throughout. I also think scum are playing it close to the chest though and could very likely be letting us do ourselve in.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Atomic Soda posted:

i dunno i thought we had more time w floating deadline, which could be used to push someone who you have at least some scum vibes from.

i did push someone who i got scum vibes from, and nobody really responded to it or interacted with me much other than moat himself. idk i'm not gonna sit here and yell VOTE MOAT VOTE MOAT repeatedly until ecco closes the thread

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
I think BK, Phoenix or Keane are scum. Leaning towards BK > Keane ≥ Phoenix

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

oh, ok. sick.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

I think BK, Phoenix or Keane are scum. Leaning towards BK > Keane ≥ Phoenix

Would you like to summarize your case on BK? I'm not feeling Keane, which is weird because I usually feel Keane as scum. But the fact that Keane is not pinging me is really weird.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

sal it's been 30 minutes bud where you at

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Yami Fenrir posted:

Put me on the far bottom right of that triangle, tia.

Also, apparently someone thought the newbie that was incredibly suspicious in pequod despite being town there wasn't suspicious enough, because...

**I AM A MILLER.** *This is not a joke claim.*

I am Jin, the Stranger, and I am a town aligned miller because I'm a *weird foreigner*. I am claiming day one because, well, miller. This is apparently what you do as a miller. I do not have any powers, an as such I am essentially VT.

Ok so we start with this post here. Granted I've never played a game with a Miller before (that I can recall anyways) but this to me seems like someone who went to SA Mafia Wiki, read about Millers and tried to emulate it. However this could also be something scumbros put them up to doing it.

Yami Fenrir posted:

Also the last game showed me you can't trust AA.

##vote Anomalous Amalgam

Remember this for later on when Yami complains about meta reads.

Yami Fenrir posted:

:shrug: I believe myself too inexperienced to edge any lines as a miller. This is my second SA mafia game, after all. I'd rather say it early than say "Oh yeah, totally miller!" when someone cops me.

HEY GUYS I'M TOTALLY NEW AND NOT SCUM AT ALL! I also find posts like these weird because I've been playing Mafia for awhile now and I'm not savvy enough to make complicated plays like this. Like if I was scum I wouldn't even try to put myself on anyone's radar.

Yami Fenrir posted:

Miller isn't scum. Miller is a townie that shows up suspicious to cops. As such, it's a lot better that town knows this information BEFORE you get checked. Not after. It'd be an extremely easy excuse at that point.

This post was in response to mine asking why it's better for a Miller to claim. Now it's possible that Yami got this from Mafia Wiki since this is pretty much verbatim what it says on the wiki. I'm always interested in people who are new to a game but almost instantly pick up the lingo. Prince of Space was the same way, he just really seemed to get it.

Yami Fenrir posted:

Got home from work, read through the thread, here's my current opinion: A lot of nullreads, really. People are jumping at nothings right now, in my opinion, but I don't really see them suspicious over that yet.

I will not be around at the deadline either, since that is 4 am for me.

Now, lets talk content.There's something that struck out to me immediately, and it's...

AA.

Specifically, this post:

What I am reading, between the lines here, is a fairly big lack of commitment to their reads.

"This guy is maybe suspicious. That guy is maybe suspicious. This post looks a bit weird. That guy is a bit weird.

I don't understand where the moat vote comes from at all. The "meta read" seems like a flimsy excuse to vote someone with just as little commitment as the earlier reads. It's d1, calling people out over not contributing feels a bit too early to me.

I really do not like AA's current content currently showcase. My vote remains on him.

As a side note I don't see where the AS votes are coming from. Especially asiina's looks far too easy of a vote to me. I don't like the circumstances behind that vote. at least TNL had a proper case, asiina's looks like a bandwagon to me.

This post to me feels like it could be bussing. It's a pretty lengthy post compared to the rest of what he's posted but I don't feel like it says much. It's a post for posts sake.

Yami Fenrir posted:

I feel like you're grasping at straws here. What I'm saying is that both votes are weak in my view, but TNL at least put in effort.

Speaking of which, your posting style kind of reminds me of AA. A bunch of words (propped up by quotes making it appear more than it actually is) that don't do much except low-commitment jumping on choice phrases.

Hmm.

This post O_O. Quickly dismisses what Illegally Sober says and then flips around to him "Well your posting is just like the person I think scum is"

The next 3 posts are all essentially the same where Yami talks about killing a lurker and targets Bowmore specifically (who hadn't been lurking at all because they'd been arguing with me).

Yami Fenrir posted:

So, what are your results of the day, Mr. Cop? I am curious.

This loving post really annoys me too mostly because I feel like the tone of this post is really condescending.

Yami Fenrir posted:

As for actual content, I don't know what to think about the bowmore lynch. I honestly would have voted for him anyway had I been awake. His posting looks so incredibly scummy to me I that I would vote him again if he acted the same way in the next game. His defense amounting to "This is a lazy vote" didn't help either.

AA's apparent mood swap feels bizarre to me and is kind of throwing off my read on him

Too much time for investigative roles to go to work. But then again, maybe my expectations from a videogame version of mafia are throwing me off. Either way, I believe Sal's claim to have been roadblocked, however I don't quite buy him being a cop at the moment.

You did vote for bowmore? I'm super confused at what you are trying to say here. This is also a common trend I'm noticing where you hedge your bets by believing that I was roleblocked, but Cop claim? Well thats a bridge too loving far! Here is the issue for all intents I'm Vanilla town. I'm going to keep using my ability every night but will probably be roleblocked, I'm annoyed about it, but them's the breaks, I'm alive and can continue playing and thats better than being dead.

Yami Fenrir posted:

Mostly due to Sal's reply to my question. It just feels too simple to me, in a "There, you have my alibi for having no results, now go look at more interesting people!" kind of sense. Compared to how angry he got over bowmore's prodding, this seems strangely uncaring of an reaction about likely being RB'd all game.

I've considered a few possibilities, most of them going off the deep ends (which seems to start to be my gimmick apparently, as seen in Pequod where I came up with a vote poisoner of all things).

Such as: Sal being SK and RB'ed by scum afraid of a cop
Sal being town and RB'ed by scum afraid of a cop
Sal being scum and RBed by town RBer
Sal being town and RBed by town RBer.

I am running off a lot of assumptions here, but I find a cop claim being RBed by a townie somewhat unlikely. Even if suspicious, it would make a lot more sense to give them a day or two to show results, given the way votes on him stopped when he claimed cop. In my mind, it was much more likely that scum RBed Sal (hence me saying I believe the RB'd claim)

The reason why I don't trust Sal at the moment is because I find the transitition from the anger about being prodded by bow so much, to a reponse that feels like "Oh well, I guess I'll be roadblocked forever, meh." to me. It came over more of an excuse than anything to me, a simple alibi as to why to not produce results. (Not to mention I had to ask them for their result for them to come out with that information, but that may very well be a timezone problem). The circumstances around this dialogue just feel very much off to me.

I find Sal additionally suspicious because I feel like there is a second night kill missing, as I explained above, and Sal has been roadblocked. There are, however, plenty of other reasons for this such as the simplest, there simply not being one. I am not going to vote Sal up yet, as it's very likely I may be wrong and honestly, I want to be proven wrong, as cops are useful. A tracker result on Sal would be extremely useful, for obvious reasons.

I may post some opinions on other people later too, but I don't know if I can manage timewise today. I'll definitely post more opinions on people at a later point, but this is what struck out to me the most.

So which is it? Did I lie about being role blocked or am I lying about being a cop? In one post you say you believe I was role blocked, but this post makes it seem like you don't. As to your question on why I'm so blaise about being role blocked constantly and not upset about it like yesterday let me just explain again. I don't know WHY I was in a bad mood on May 2nd, it happened but there is nothing that can be done. Normally I'm super chill guy who likes to have fun playing Mafia. One thing I would like is how any of these make sense:

Sal being town and RB'ed by scum afraid of a cop - Well no poo poo? Of course scum would want to RB the cop.
Sal being scum and RBed by town RBer - Why would town RB a claimed cop? That makes LITERALLY NO SENSE
Sal being town and RBed by town RBer. - This makes even less sense.

Yami Fenrir posted:

Hm, I did leave that open as a possibility. However, I still find their change of tone weird.

Also, didn't manage to get opinions on more people up, but I should have the time to do so tomorrow. Sorry bout that.

Again you harp on the tone of my posting, I think most posters here will say that I was extremely out of the ordinary. I get that you don't know that because we've never played before, but I would think that the fact nobody else brought it up speaks volumes. What also helps out a ton is what a difference a night of sleep can make. I had a great night of sleep and woke up in a better mood. Why would I get mad about being roleblocked? More importantly what can I do about it? NOTHING (right now anyways) because all the scum are alive. When I'm getting attacked I can at least defend myself so there is that. There is nothing I can do at night to defend myself so it's pretty much in God's hands.

Yami Fenrir posted:

Belated Happy Birthday!

Unfortunately I still don't entirely believe that.

The last sentence is also extremely scummy. It boils down to "I guess you'll just have to trust their baseless opinion, lol!" I mean yes, that may be what happened. But it may also not.

I've slept over this, however, and I am going to believe you for now, for another reason; Asiina.

Ahhh yes here we go! Meta reads! The first part was in response to me talking about how meta reads can be important in this game. Here is my exact quote:

quote:

Yami also you have to know that a lot of us have been playing Mafia together for months (and in some case years). A lot of times there are meta reads that you can't explain.

Now remember WAYYYY back when Yami voted for AA? Why did he vote for AA? META READS FROM ANOTHER GAME! At this point Yami flips on Asiina and points out that Asiina who said:

Asiina posted:

I caught up and was also thinking Sal was scummy for his strange callout on Pod that's hedgy:

But I'm also uncomfortable with how fast this bandwagon is forming.

I think Keane's "I don't need to explain myself to you, scum" is a generally lovely thing to do cause it does nothing but gets people flustered. So Keane, since you have a town read on me now, why are you voting Sal? How is that post you quoted read poorly?

I don't really like this, it feels very much like a bandwagon vote with little reason. "Oh you don't usually go on the offensive" when I don't even know what that means?

Might vote Mona for this, but still like my current vote.

Would also definitely vote bowmore as a lurker vote because I don't really expect him to actually participate at any point and might as well get it out of the way.

What I don't like is that Yami doesn't aknowledge the real meat of what Asiina is saying which is "Hey guys lets slow down here and not bandwagon this fucker!" Asiina also correctly points out that I was called out for "going on the offensive" when all I really wanted was clarification from Max on a post. This was posted May 2, 2018 16:59. Next Yami goes to this post of Asiina

Asiina posted:

I believe Sal.

Yami, you are very wrong about basically all of that setup stuff on what is typical, and like I can go into detail but also don't really want to and it won't be particularly useful. Just know that there have been 20+ player games with a single scum team with 5 or more team members, so it's not like that where there's only ever 2-3 scum members.

Anyway, I kinda only skimmed the stuff that happened since I left yesterday. I also had the fleeting thought, like Pod did, that bowmore went so hard on Sal because he was soft counterclaiming, but apparently not.

Which was posted on May 3, 2018 15:07. Yami calls out Asiina for making a "quick 180" on Me. Almost a full loving day is NOT a quick 180. Thats someone who went to sleep, thought about poo poo and realized they were wrong.

Yami Fenrir posted:

Ah yes, I am the scum. Not the person that has a post history shorter than some of single posts of mine.

:v:

Deflecting to a lurker. I mean gently caress I could keep going on and on.

##vote Yami Dude I supremely apologize if you are town, but loving Christ your posting is so scummy.

Podima to answer your question: I think Yamis case on Asiina is bad because it doesn't take into account the time between posts. I also don't like the implication that Asiina is only defending me to earn town cred when I die and flip town. Asiina correctly didn't want to bandwagon on me too fast (which is a scum move). So ya. There we go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atomic Soda
Jun 9, 2005

drink this baby
does anyone know if ecco gives closing warnings for her floating deadlines?

• Locked thread