Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
ALIENS
Theatrical
Director's Cut
View Results

• Locked thread
CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Tennessee and Daniels rule and apparently they would’ve come back in the sequel if they did it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
It's aliens->alien->predator->blade runner->prometheus->covenant->soldier ------------>predators------------++++++++----->whatever

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

CelticPredator posted:

Re Alien Covenant.

It depends on how much you dig Prometheus. I love Covenant to death but I also love Prometheus. David is a top tier character and the only real issue with Covenant is the Xenomorph stuff which doesn’t quite work perfectly. But it’s still fine compared to AvPR.

It’s really David’s story. And that’s why I love it.

I actually liked Requiem better than AvP. At least I think I do. It's been a long time since I've seen them.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

AvP is better because it looks better and doesn’t have a child killing an alien with a small
Pistol.

(And isn’t complete and utter trash)

I hate avpr

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

I’ve somehow managed to never see either of the avp movies and I think I’m gonna keep it that way

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Legit good idea.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

avp2 is a riot. the opening scene is one of the most unintentionally funny things. you can't help but laugh at how edgy it's trying to be throughout.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That is fair. I just cannot handle the CineD read that it’s good. At all.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i saw someone arguing bright was good in there. do their delusions know no bounds????

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

no

I skirt the lines but sometimes.... the gen chat thread is good. Before weirdos continue to cite me talking poo poo about a sub forum I hang out at the most.

That’s p much my favorite people

CelticPredator fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Apr 27, 2018

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

I like talking about movies so I post on cine d but it has lots of dumb af “here’s why transformers 3 is actually about the Rwandan genocide” theories too. Mostly it’s okay with SMG on ignore bough

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I post in CD once a year. Lurdiak puts on an awesome twitch type thing where we watch horror movies every weekend in October and there is a pizza raffle. Join us this year!

Otherwise I stay out of there.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I don't care as long as it's Alien 3

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
My biggest beef with Cameron right now is that all the filming stuff he pioneered in the 80's-90's have become standard, and ultimately his approach to Avatar came off as a big-budget spectacle that nonetheless played everything safe and straight. I could just about recite the entirety of T1 and T2 to you but I'll be damned if I could remember anything about Avatar beyond "Evil Colonel shoots Ripley and knife-fights a space-dinosaur." Nothing stands out.

Also if fukken' W-Y had a hold of Pandora they wouldn't have thought twice about buying out the scientists and their research before warcrime'ing the living daylights out of the natives; what kind of sorry, pussy-rear end-excuse of a science fiction megacorp actually bothers with trying to accommodate interests other than their own profit?

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
i bet avatar probably seems like a really average movie if you never saw it in big rear end 3d

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

CelticPredator posted:

Goddamn shut the gently caress up

He sucks, dude. He makes derivative, mass-appeal schlock about 5º removed from Michael Bay. At least Scott puts some effort towards collaborating with writers.

Tolkien minority posted:

I’ve somehow managed to never see either of the avp movies and I think I’m gonna keep it that way

:cheers:

Tolkien minority posted:

I like talking about movies so I post on cine d but it has lots of dumb af “here’s why transformers 3 is actually about the Rwandan genocide” theories too. Mostly it’s okay with SMG on ignore bough

I thought the satire read of Dark of the Moon was pretty engaging, honestly. Those movies suck rear end but they are absolutely time capsules, to say the least.

ChickenHeart posted:

My biggest beef with Cameron right now is that all the filming stuff he pioneered in the 80's-90's have become standard, and ultimately his approach to Avatar came off as a big-budget spectacle that nonetheless played everything safe and straight. I could just about recite the entirety of T1 and T2 to you but I'll be damned if I could remember anything about Avatar beyond "Evil Colonel shoots Ripley and knife-fights a space-dinosaur." Nothing stands out.

Also if fukken' W-Y had a hold of Pandora they wouldn't have thought twice about buying out the scientists and their research before warcrime'ing the living daylights out of the natives; what kind of sorry, pussy-rear end-excuse of a science fiction megacorp actually bothers with trying to accommodate interests other than their own profit?

It's interesting, because Scott's idea of how to make contemporary sci-fi is so totally divorced from Cameron's, much more actor oriented and hands on. Prometheus was like 75% practical effects plus digital post, while shitheels like Cameron and Peter Jackson are filming some of the least interesting green-screen extravaganzas of all time.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

James Cameron changed everything you bitch

He owns

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

CelticPredator posted:

James Cameron changed everything you bitch

He owns

For the worse.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

THE 'METHEUS!
:2bong:

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
You can't really say anything about Cameron's recent work because the last real movie he released before Avatar in 09 was Titanic in 97. Scott on the other hand just churns one out every year or two. He's literally directed 3 times as many movies as Cameron total and like 5 times as many in the last 20 years.

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
i cant wait until ridley scott makes the cash in sequel to gladiator

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
gladiator: maximus rising

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.
the time is ripe for nick cage cave's scriptwriting skills to shine

also, if we're going to have prometheus/covenant chat in here, I'm still trying to find a screenshot that shows the title spaceship from covenant in all its blatantly, not-even-trying-anymore-with-subtlety penile glory. seriously, I even went and skimmed thru covenant again just to try to get my own screenshots of it and I'm not sure if I missed the specific shots or if they were actually edited out of the home video version

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Amarcarts posted:

You can't really say anything about Cameron's recent work because the last real movie he released before Avatar in 09 was Titanic in 97. Scott on the other hand just churns one out every year or two. He's literally directed 3 times as many movies as Cameron total and like 5 times as many in the last 20 years.

Scott's catalogue is far more varied/interesting and, unlike Cameron, Scott has directed between 5-10 very good films.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Watching Ridley Scott's films in order, It's like watching those sped up nature videos when a beautiful animal dies (in 1982), degrades and is eaten by insects + mould.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Apr 27, 2018

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hm.

No.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Honestly though I always turn it up to 11 in GBS, partly because you can't say anything bad about Prometheus in CD without hordes of people jacking themselves off over who can get the most offended.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Apr 27, 2018

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Watching Ridley Scott's films in order, It's like watching those sped up nature videos when a beautiful animal dies (in 1982), degrades and is eaten by insects + mould.

Open your mind.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Honestly though I always turn it up to 11 in GBS, partly because you can't say anything bad about Prometheus in CD without hordes of people jacking themselves off over who can get mad the most.

CD hates Prometheus. Only I like it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

You’re stupid as hell

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

CelticPredator posted:

You’re stupid as hell

Why so insecure?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

CD hates Prometheus. Only I like it.
I'm surprised at that. Seems fickle, considering how many people there loved it when it came out. Dang.

Doctor Bishop posted:

penile glory.
The difference in subtlety between 1982 - now is like the difference between using a feather and a chicken.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Apr 27, 2018

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I'm surprised at that. Seems fickle, considering how many people there loved it when it came out. Dang.

So it goes. Most of the people working on it knew they were treading on hallowed ground, to a degree.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Why so insecure?

I’m mad at how dumb you are tbh.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

jimmyjams posted:

i cant wait until ridley scott makes the cash in sequel to gladiator

Nick Cave's concept for Gladiator 2 sounded loving awesome and I want it to happen. It was the exact opposite of a cash-in.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

jimmyjams posted:

theatrical

showing the loving aliens and alien craft before ripley and co ever get to it ruins the loving movie imo

Yeah, I want to be kept in suspense re. if there are any aliens in the Aliens movie.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

steinrokkan posted:

Yeah, I want to be kept in suspense re. if there are any aliens in the Aliens movie.

The director's cut has serious pacing issues, suspense notwithstanding

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Pennywise the Frown posted:

So how is Alien: Covenant? I think I might watch it tonight but have heard bad things about it. I'm a huge Alien fan, although I didn't like Resurrection. Too "wacky." Although you have to love Brad Dourif. Well, and Winona Ryder is dreamy. :allears:

So am I going to be disappointed? I'm probably going to get really drunk and high so that might affect things. The drunkenness will make it hard to pay attention, but being high will help me focus more. Very logical.

holy gently caress,

get your shoes ready to throw at the retards on the screen.

Stupid characters aside, yeah, it's a bad movie

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

David remains an interesting character and the ending is impressively mean-spirited...but, yeah, Covenant is mostly formulaic poo poo. The majority of the actors are completely wasted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Still reeling at the David / Walter fisting scene.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Apr 27, 2018

• Locked thread