Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Long story short, my husband and I have an art installation coming up. He makes planets out of garbage. Here's one made from a beachball, some paint we found on garbage day, and leftover quik-crete from a neighbor:

Ive been tasked with doing catering for the opening reception, and we want all our nibbles to be spherical and planet-like. I've already got a short list from brain storming ideas today:

meatballs
takoyaki
matzo balls
use a melon baller for various fruits, roll them in spices to look like gas giants
boba tea
little onigiri
aebeleskiver

I'd actually never even heard of aebeleskiver until I searched SA for takoyaki and someone mentioned it. So in that vein, I'm looking for any ideas on round foods I may not be culturally aware of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

Rocky Mountain Oysters

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

sexy tiger boobs posted:

Rocky Mountain Oysters

I know that's a comedy suggestion, but guess I should also add it's a fundraiser for Planned Parenthood. Trying to stay away from actual balls (and my husband thinks eggs might be off the table, despite that being my first thought)

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Non-comedy options depend on if you're doing apps or what.

You could probably do some neat stuff with mochi.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
Bitterballen! It's a Dutch snack which is basically a croquette - thick roux with veal/beef as filling fridged until solid, then breaded and deep fried - in a spherical shape. You can probably take any croquette recipe and make them into bitterballen, but here is a basic recipe.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

JacquelineDempsey posted:

I know that's a comedy suggestion, but guess I should also add it's a fundraiser for Planned Parenthood. Trying to stay away from actual balls (and my husband thinks eggs might be off the table, despite that being my first thought)

Especialy Balut, I guess? :v:

Ginger Beer Belly
Aug 18, 2010

Grimey Drawer

JacquelineDempsey posted:

D'oh, I was just thinking that maybe some quail Scotch eggs would be neat, but would probably take some trial and error.

e: Looks like Jamie Oliver beat me to it. https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/eggs-recipes/scotch-quail-eggs/

Ginger Beer Belly fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Apr 24, 2018

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Mochi and bitterballen are great suggestions, thanks! And those scotch eggs look yummy as hell, though they'd be way too labor intensive and might not travel well (I'm not gonna have a kitchen on site, stuffs getting prepped at my restaurant then driven about 10 minutes away). Im scratching takoyaki off the list for that reason, after thinking about it more today. So I guess bear that in mind when offering ideas; I should put that in the OP.

Yes, LC, these are gonna be apps, finger food spread through the space. I have a hail out to the woman who runs the space whether sterno is gonna be kosher, some places have "no open flame" laws. That might be a game changer.

I appreciate in particular getting suggestions about non-US foods, since the whole theme is worlds and whatnot. I'd like to try for a real global spread, with stuff from all over the planet. Plus I learn about tasty-sounding foods like bitterballen!

Eggs might not be totally out of the question; I was all set to put my beets and pickled eggs on the list until my man said, "ehhh, maybe not eggs". I didn't make the connection, and I'm an egg-producing person who actually goes to Planned Parenthood. I really can't imagine someone getting triggered by them (well I can, but they'd probably be triggered by anything else on the menu). Plus if I get the funding we're hoping for with our grant proposal, gently caress all y'all, it's fish roe all the way down baby. Tobiko for days

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

I always see those finger food caprese things with a little fresh mozz ball, cherry tomato and basil on a toothpick. Drizzle with good olive oil and balsamic.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Crusty Nutsack posted:

I always see those finger food caprese things with a little fresh mozz ball, cherry tomato and basil on a toothpick. Drizzle with good olive oil and balsamic.

Good call, thanks! That's just what I'm looking for, easy to prep and will hold well until serving time.

Doing a little googling on "ball shaped food" (Christ, who knew there were so many recipes for making things shaped like footballs for Super Bowl parties?) also discovered labaneh, Armenian yogurt cheese balls. Gist seems to be drain yogurt then salt it, fridge it to make a chèvre-like firmness, roll into balls then marinade in a pepper oil. I think that one's a keeper, too.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Ooh I know, how about gulab jamun? So delicious. You could easily just buy them from an Indian caterer or something.

On the same note are loukoumades, Greek donuts that are roundish and soaked in honey syrup.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Falafel!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Coconut macaroons are dead easy, shelf stable, and can be round as well. Truffles are a hit with most everyone if you've got some refrigeration, as are creme puffs.

I might be tempted to do something like doughnut bites (sweet) or pretzel bites (savory) with a filling piped in as well.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
Arancini comes to mind. Sicilian deep-fried balls filled with risotto and some type of ragu.

Ohyesitsme
Apr 12, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
Maltesers!

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Deep-fried ice cream balls.

A Texas State Fair tradition.

xyigx
Nov 6, 2012
taro andagi

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Hushpuppies :yum:

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

TONS of fantastic suggestions so far guys! Thank you so much!

A middle eastern place just opened three blocks away from me, and I got to try them Monday night. I was so stoked to see labneh on the menu so I could try it. Theirs was a thick dip, and not spheres. :( Tasty stuff, though.

But their falafel were perfect little planetoids of yummy. Depending on my budget, might ask about what a catering tray would cost and outsource that to the pros.

I also recently found my egg cuber, and I think I'll make square eggs just to be a dick to my Superman-geek husband. "What? Bizarro's home world is a planet, and it's square. Eggs aren't square. .: Bizarro eggs. :colbert:"

(...actually, making soy or tea eggs and then cubing them? That poo poo would look like cut marble. Hmm. I have ideas now. Thanks for the inspiration, thread!)

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Here's a version of Chef's Salty Balls from South Park by Binging with Babish: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxPgrGdSHh8

he makes them a few ways to try and get the right shape, i think you'll like the last result.

Chalk is Cheap
Mar 29, 2005

You know, Maine has a really cool underground hip-hop scene...
You can make brandade thicker than normal and then bread it and fry it. Thank me later.

Ambuletz
Sep 7, 2006
I love my brother very much.
seconding arancini - you can make a whole lot of tasty risotto for not very much money or effort, and, breaded with panko, will hold well in an oven/hotbox. super vegetarian friendly.

in the same vein as the brandade croquettes, make a thick bechamel and fold in some chicken and aromats, refrigerate an hour, bread with panko and deep fry.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
Arancini.

Fried rice balls filled with ragu and mozzarella.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
OP, have you heard of these things called arancini? You should look in to them, they're shaped like balls so they're perfect for your purposes.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Yknow, back when I worked as garde manger for an Italian restaurant a couple years ago, we used to do these little balls of rice that were fried... Can't remember what they were called?

(Seriously, though, I do appreciate each and every response in this silly thread of mine!)

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Punsjeboller, perhaps? I've never attempted to make them, but they're soft chocolate balls made from ground nuts, leftover cake (sponge or the like), chocolate, rum, and optionally coconut; glazed with chocolate and sprinkles.

These look fairly typical: http://chocolanasblogg.blogspot.com/2012/12/punsjeboller.html
(I can probably do a quick translation if you'd like to be the guinea pig for an untested recipe from a random blog.)

I'm sure these have relatives in English-speaking countries - Australia and NZ seem to have a thing for Chocolate Rum Balls, and those look fairly similar. I would not be surprised to find out they are common in the US as well and I just didn't stumble over the appropriate Google incantation to find them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Cake pops are trash but they might fit the bill nicely for your situation.