Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Volcott posted:

It's not a child. It can't think, or feel. It's meat.

Hardly, babies have ridiculous levels of body fat, like 20-25%. it's pathetic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Kazak posted:

Hardly, babies have ridiculous levels of body fat, like 20-25%. it's pathetic.

Oh I didn't know it was a fatty. gently caress that then let the fat nazi die

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
the previous zombaby was more interesting to look at since it was missing a large part of its skull

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I feel sorry for the parents but dear God as a citizen of the UK im bored as hell of brain dead kids being in the news nonstop

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

hemale in pain posted:

I feel sorry for the parents but dear God as a citizen of the UK im bored as hell of brain dead kids being in the news nonstop

too easy

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

hemale in pain posted:

Trump Joke

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

The alternative is brexit with a bunch of brain dead adults

If only brass eye did a brain dead baby episode, but even then I think they would have decided it wasnt likely to come up as an issue

Gavrilo Princip
Feb 4, 2007

Furia posted:

The NHS is a publicly funded institution with the explicit objective of serving the public for free (to a certain extent, I understand). Unfortunately the parents are members of the public, and since the ethics and legal status of personhood is a still a topic of debate, so too is the child until a legal agreement is reached. What exactly constitutes death is something we cant agree on yet.

I dont like that theres resources being wasted on this child when the child itself (it?) could save other children, but its not like theres precedent for this kind of thing in England. What if the parents go all baby K on the child and pay out of pocket to keep it alive? Do we have a place to speak from there?

poo poos hosed all the way up and all the way down.

Wrong, this poo poo happens all the time, it just generally doesn't make the news because most people manage to handle the situation with a modicum of restraint and dignity and don't whip up a legit mob to lay siege to a hospital Assault on Precinct 13 style while hollering for the Pope to batman his way into the hospital and spirit the kid away to his new life as a noisy and expensive pot plant in some darkened corner of the Vatican.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_Gard_case

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/jul/29/ten-cases-like-charlie-gards-heard-english-courts-this-year

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

the baby was off life support and was allegedly breathing fine by himself so the parents and the 'army' were all like "See? He is alive! He can make it!"

a few minutes ago the parents put in an emergency appeal to have the life support put back in because it turns out their baby is actually dead

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Quote-Unquote posted:

the baby was off life support and was allegedly breathing fine by himself so the parents and the 'army' were all like "See? He is alive! He can make it!"

a few minutes ago the parents put in an emergency appeal to have the life support put back in because it turns out their baby is actually dead

this is the best dead baby joke yet

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Gavrilo Princip posted:

Wrong, this poo poo happens all the time, it just generally doesn't make the news because most people manage to handle the situation with a modicum of restraint and dignity and don't whip up a legit mob to lay siege to a hospital Assault on Precinct 13 style while hollering for the Pope to batman his way into the hospital and spirit the kid away to his new life as a noisy and expensive pot plant in some darkened corner of the Vatican.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_Gard_case

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/jul/29/ten-cases-like-charlie-gards-heard-english-courts-this-year

Fair enough, but that in itself creates a whole new set of circumstances

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

KomodoWagon posted:

this is the best dead baby joke yet

it is not a joke friend it is literally what is happening in the uk right now

oh wait, lol, yes i see your point.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
This is what I don't get, the parents saying the doctors were wrong to turn off the ventilator because the baby can breathe on it's own.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

hemale in pain posted:

That's no way to talk about your foreign secretary!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
imo the worst part about this is that the parents will never ever accept responsibility for what they've incited and the time (both theirs and everyone else's) that they have wasted, they're too wrapped up in their grief. They will forever go on saying it was a real shame their dead baby couldn't be brought back to life like The Mummy and it's all the fault of medical science for not trying hard enough or not being advanced enough.

edit: Nothing anyone can say to them will get them to understand that actually it's nobody's fault and nothing could ever have been done about it, because that's a real tough pill to swallow when you have convinced yourself that maybe letting your dead baby grow up into a dead adult will magically bring back its houdini-vanished brain.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Apr 24, 2018

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
So they want to take him to Rome, where he'll get 'more care'. But the poor kid's brain has literally rotted away, has anyone told them you can't grow a new brain? It's desperately sad and I hope they can let go and start to grieve. To be honest it's pretty ghoulish that the Italian hospital is even giving them the false hope that anything can be done.

d3c0y2
Sep 29, 2009

Bardeh posted:

So they want to take him to Rome, where he'll get 'more care'. But the poor kid's brain has literally rotted away, has anyone told them you can't grow a new brain? It's desperately sad and I hope they can let go and start to grieve. To be honest it's pretty ghoulish that the Italian hospital is even giving them the false hope that anything can be done.

The Italian Hospital has been pretty explicit that it'd just be life support forever and that the condition is irreversible. Basically the hospital is operating on every life is sacred philosophy and is prepared to keep him alive as a vegetable forever.

The people in the UK are deliberately misconstruing this as the Italian hospital offering treatment to try and rile up poo poo.

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Bardeh posted:

The real kicker comes when they find out the only way to save their baby's brain is with... stem cells.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
I can't even imagine how much it would cost to fly a toddler that requires a room full of machinery to breathe from the UK to Italy. I would imagine the NHS system draws a line at that.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

fishing with the fam posted:

I can't even imagine how much it would cost to fly a toddler that requires a room full of machinery to breathe from the UK to Italy. I would imagine the NHS system draws a line at that.

The NHS also draws the line at causing unnecessary suffering to an innocent child in order to prolong it's non-life

I hear in the US they call this DEATH PANELS, which sounds way more metal than it really is.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

Quote-Unquote posted:

So is the kid dead for reals now?

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

No, they put him back on life support because they got a new last-minute High Court hearing

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Bardeh posted:

Duh brain transplant

Grillfiend
Nov 29, 2015

Belgians ITT
(ie Me)

mind the walrus posted:

Look these losers found themselves on a gravy train made from their infant son's inert gray matter. They're gonna ride it ten times longer than the kid's lifespan.

hell, Maddie McCann's parents will be riding that gravy train for life, and these parents won't even have to kill their kid themselves

Grillfiend fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Apr 24, 2018

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jel Shaker posted:

Duh brain transplant

Oh poo poo, wasn't the doctor who was gonna do that head transplant Italian? They're gonna put that Russian dude's head on the baby aren't they

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Bardeh posted:

No, they put him back on life support because they got a new last-minute High Court hearing

But I thought he was breathing on his own or some poo poo

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

He's not dead dead

The parents are trying another appeal to fly him to Rome where he will be kept on life support indefinitely

Gavrilo Princip
Feb 4, 2007

Furia posted:

Fair enough, but that in itself creates a whole new set of circumstances

Which are pretty satisfactorily addressed by the notion that children aren't property and that in cases where parental wishes and welfare concerns collide, welfare wins out every time. I seriously doubt the kid is actually capable of suffering given the extent of the damage but if he has even borderline brain function left his existence is likely an Event-Horizon level hellscape and the only moral thing to do is allow nature to take its extremely inevitable course. It's why the absolute latest appeal to take him to Rome is likely to fail, because this isn't and never has been about cost and everything to do with it not only being futile but actively inhumane to sustain "life".

Nature's gnarliest trick is handing off autonomic stuff like heartbeat and breathing to the brain stem which tends to be comparatively resilient to conditions that wipe out the actual thinkmeats and subsequently tricks rubes into thinking that because all the ultra-basic bodily poo poo works he's going to wake up some day and play some catch with dad when he's not even going to get to the extremely fundamental poo poo like "swallowing", "moving" or "maintaining blood vessel tone". poo poo, apparently he even has saccades which make his parents think he's looking at them.

Edit: To be clear, if they somehow manage to finagle moving him to Rome and keeping him on life support, a bunch of people are going to claim that it's somehow "life affirming" when it's the exact opposite, the kid literally doesn't feel and to all intents and purposes can't possibly care since the difference between "alive" and "dead" in his case is more matter of legal status than of actual will or understanding, however limited.

Gavrilo Princip fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Apr 24, 2018

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
Jeez just let them have the baby I guess. Doesn't sound like it would "survive" long enough to make it back to the hospital.

Going to have to say to whoever suggested giving its organs to needy actual babies to reconsider that one though lol. Remember this former baby has an unknown disease that ate 80% of its brain but left just enough to appear alive ...

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

But I thought he was breathing on his own or some poo poo

He was for a bit but then had to be put back on life support. Now he's staying on life support until this appeal to fly him thousands of miles to a place where he can remain on life support forever

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

1gnoirents posted:

Jeez just let them have the baby I guess. Doesn't sound like it would "survive" long enough to make it back to the hospital.

Yes but he'll be in immense suffering for no reason other than the parents have fewer brain cells than their son that is missing 80% of his brain.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Furia posted:

The NHS is a publicly funded institution with the explicit objective of serving the public for free (to a certain extent, I understand). Unfortunately the parents are members of the public, and since the ethics and legal status of personhood is a still a topic of debate, so too is the child until a legal agreement is reached. What exactly constitutes death is something we can’t agree on yet.

I don’t like that there’s resources being wasted on this child when the child itself (it?) could save other children, but it’s not like there’s precedent for this kind of thing in England. What if the parents go all baby K on the child and pay out of pocket to keep it alive? Do we have a place to speak from there?

poo poo’s hosed all the way up and all the way down.

Doctors have a duty of care, and unlike the US parents cannot refuse treatment for a child because of dumb rear end beliefs that vaccines are evil or whatever. There's plenty of legal precedent supporting that basically if the government equates what the parents want to do as basically child abuse (even via negligence) the government will just tell the doctors to do whatever they think is best.

The baby's brain has literally disintegrated, it's got just enough brain to be a living being but only supported by modern machinery making it live. The doctors say the baby has a 0% chance of living any sort of life worth living, and there's no chance this crazy American based treatment will ever work. Keeping the child alive with like only 5% of its brain left or whatever through the use of machinery isn't just expensive it's cruel.

Gavrilo Princip
Feb 4, 2007

For an example of just how hosed this situation can get, I invite you to read the following:

https://hods.org/pdf/Long%20Survival%20Following%20Baterial%20Meningits-Associated%20Brain%20Destruction1.pdf

quote:

ABSTRACT
This report describes the brain autopsy of a boy who at age 4K years experienced an episode of fulminant Haemophilus
influenzae type b bacterial meningitis, resulting in massive brain destruction and the clinical signs of brain death.
However, medical intervention maintained him for an additional two decades. Subsequent autopsy revealed a calcified
intracranial spherical structure weighing 750 g and consisting of a calcified shell containing grumous material and cystic
spaces with no recognizable neural elements grossly or microscopically. This case represents an example of long
survival of brain death with a living body

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

Quote-Unquote posted:

Yes but he'll be in immense suffering for no reason other than the parents have fewer brain cells than their son that is missing 80% of his brain.

I mean for all we know the baby is currently experiencing an endless loop of pain and "knows" nothing else. Of course its likely experiencing nothing at all because its missing its brain... but in either case it still sounds like the best option is to let the baby pass.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Gavrilo Princip posted:

For an example of just how hosed this situation can get, I invite you to read the following:

https://hods.org/pdf/Long%20Survival%20Following%20Baterial%20Meningits-Associated%20Brain%20Destruction1.pdf

4,000 years must take a wee bit of toll on the brain

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

1gnoirents posted:

I mean for all we know the baby is currently experiencing an endless loop of pain and "knows" nothing else. Of course its likely experiencing nothing at all because its missing its brain... but in either case it still sounds like the best option is to let the baby pass.

Yeah that's what the NHS is trying to do, rather than paying enormous amounts of money to keep his lungs expanding and collapsing and having the parents fly to Rome where his lungs will continue expanding and collapsing and sending the bill to the UK

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

I'm sure the RC church has enough money to offer to pay for the trip to pump the nonfunctioning brain full of stem cells or whatever they're going to try. Maybe they can pay for it?

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

I hope that I father a child whose brain eats itself so that Italy offers my family lifetime citizenship. It would be so romantic to live there

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

I'm sure the RC church has enough money to offer to pay for the trip to pump the nonfunctioning brain full of stem cells or whatever they're going to try. Maybe they can pay for it?

lol the RC church wouldn't do anything, especially not if there was some radical treatment involving stem cells.

The parents want to fly the baby to Rome literally so he can stay on life support, that's all. The hospital he's going to has already said that there is no treatment but they'll keep him 'alive'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004

It's not just the fact that the parent's are dumb and desperate, they've also had a ton of false hope about their little potato poured into their heads by the christian legal centre who are a bunch of fundie scumfucks lead by Andrea Minichiello Williams, a young earth creationist nutter.

• Locked thread