Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I'm curious if they'll do anything with Athena. She seemed to be a bit more than just a hallucination when Kratos was recovering the Blades and she's pretty much the only dangling plot thread from the original trilogy. They're sticking to the framework of the Ragnarok myth for now but adding her could be way of tossing the wrench into the gears of an otherwise predictable story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I'm kinda hoping Kratos dies in the last bit of 3.

Loki is great but I just don't feel him becoming the series protagonist.

Regardless, I have never wanted something more in a game than to see Fenrir and Loki fighting Odin and Heimdall. Kratos is pretty optional once we're in the last half of part 3.

e: Mimir even says the prophecy is all out of wack now, so they could cheese it however they want, but drat do I want to see Loki riding a wolf the size of the sun.

The Anime Liker fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Apr 26, 2018

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Well one of the gods destined to survived Ragnarok is dead, maybe two. (Modi got stabbed in the neck and fell into a pit, but gods can take a lot of punishment, so I am not certain of his death.)

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009
The supporting cast in God of War were fantastic; Mimir taking the piss out of Kratos especially.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well one of the gods destined to survived Ragnarok is dead, maybe two. (Modi got stabbed in the neck and fell into a pit, but gods can take a lot of punishment, so I am not certain of his death.)

Yeah this. I wouldn't be surprised if Kratos continues to do his kill everything in the way schtick, further throwing it out. If he kills Thor in the second game that's a pretty big tilt on top of Modi and Magni presumably both being dead. I fully expect Ragnarok to mirror Kratos ending the Greek pantheon, but rather than just diong it out of pure rage, doing it out of manipulation or just because it needs to get done. He also refuses to respect prophecy, so if someone says "the dog will end the world" you better believe Kratos' solution is going to be to kill the dog first.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow

FZeroRacer posted:

The supporting cast in God of War were fantastic; Mimir taking the piss out of Kratos especially.

It was a joy having characters which just absolutely toss poo poo at Kratos without being horribly murdered for a change.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
If you want to have Ragnarok without Ragnarok, really all that Kratos has to change is the bit about Surtr.

Finrir and Odin can kill each other, Loki and Heimdall can kill each other, Thor and Jormungandr can kill each other, etc.

Ending the gods but keeping humans alive, in a world free from Gods, which he did with the Greek pantheon, would only require him stopping Surtr from delivering that last second killing stroke on Midgard.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

If you want to have Ragnarok without Ragnarok, really all that Kratos has to change is the bit about Surtr.

Finrir and Odin can kill each other, Loki and Heimdall can kill each other, Thor and Jormungandr can kill each other, etc.

Ending the gods but keeping humans alive, in a world free from Gods, which he did with the Greek pantheon, would only require him stopping Surtr from delivering that last second killing stroke on Midgard.

I'm certain the Kratos solution or path is going to run afoul of all these characters and require him to bust em one by one. Like his mission was so seekingly inoccuous, but his wife has hoodwinked him into becoming a player. Kratos fixes wagons for a job, he's going to wreck some people and I wouldn't be surprised if he did just say "Fenrir kills all, therefore I kill Fenrir" or "Odin seems to be the problem more widely, but Thor just shot my house with lightning so he is first".

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I kinda put it out of my mind until I was going over what happened but uh, what's the deal with the dark elf king guy who was all "You have made a grave mistake"

I didn't really "get" the bifrost visions and that quote amounted to a bitter "nuh uh you didn't win" as far as I can tell.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I think the grave mistake was likely accidentally aiding Odin

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Black August posted:

I think the grave mistake was likely accidentally aiding Odin

Yeah. I'm fairly sure that light and dark elves aren't good or evil specifically in myth (like they both might harm a human for no discernible reason). I guess in the fucky God of War mythology the dark elves might have realised what was up and moved in to poo poo on the light elves for a good reason until Kratos randomly wandered in like a pissed toddler.

There's also a chance the dark elf was full of poo poo and all you did was stop them from eating all light in the universe like a bunch of fuckheads.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I kinda put it out of my mind until I was going over what happened but uh, what's the deal with the dark elf king guy who was all "You have made a grave mistake"

I didn't really "get" the bifrost visions and that quote amounted to a bitter "nuh uh you didn't win" as far as I can tell.

My immediate reaction was that he was basically an old man shaking his fist yelling "you'll live to regret this!"

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
When you take Mimir back with you to alfheim he'll clue you into the nuance, which is "this is literally the 230th time alfheim's flipped hands between light and dark".

So it's probably just there as a character building moment of doubt for BOY

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
So I rented the game and took it back after I beat it. Going to buy it in the next few days, but I have a question.

Can you replay the Muspelheim trials? Or more specifically, are there reliable, easy-to-reach places in the post game where you can keep killing things forever?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

GreatGreen posted:

So I rented the game and took it back after I beat it. Going to buy it in the next few days, but I have a question.

Can you replay the Muspelheim trials? Or more specifically, are there reliable, easy-to-reach places in the post game where you can keep killing things forever?

(Mr Burns voice) yes!

Muspelheim's final battle turns into a time attack reward arena!

E: don't need spoily tag in the spoiler thread

JBP fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Apr 26, 2018

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Wait, I thought it turns into a time attack reward arena that you can only do once. So you're saying you can repeat that as often as you like?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I don't get Niflheim and I keep dying. I run in, grab stuff, it says I have 233 mist echoes, I run out, run back in, I have 0.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

I don't get Niflheim and I keep dying. I run in, grab stuff, it says I have 233 mist echoes, I run out, run back in, I have 0.

What it says on the screen is what you have for that current run and isn't your actual inventoried mist echoes. Once you've ran back out, the mist echoes you found is added to your inventory and the counter for the next time you run back into the mists is reset to 0.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Yo go and solve the most difficult puzzle in the witches cave it gives you a loving baller chain blade runic. I found it on my way to the chamber.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

This game is still so much fun holy poo poo. I'm dying to replay and see the sights again, but I want to 100% this run first.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

ufarn posted:

Oh yeah, we also owe Mimir a body.

The brothers did take a bunch of uncomfortable measurements from him .....

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Mimir is a bro and deserves a rockin new ultrabody, his voicing is just so spot-on in being able to lightly tease the murderous dad and his melodrama

"ZEUS..."
"Zeus??"
"My father."
"Zeus is your father?! .............well that explains a LOT."

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Who was the enormous feathered creature in Hel?

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I assumed that WAS Hel. Just a gigantic world-sized vulture, chillin in the dark.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Could be. This is all pure speculation but they could be going for sort of theme for Loki children - serpent is a giant serpent, Hel is an enormous bird and Fenrir will be a giant wolf.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
In the myths, Hela is described as a young girl who is healthy and living on one side of her body and dead and rotten on the other. I don't recall any giant birds in Norse myth other than the eagle that hangs out on the branches of Yggdrasil.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Norse mythology references roosters in Valhalla, Jotunheim, and Helheim crowing to signal the beginning of ragnarok. My assumption is the bird is that, plus some poetic license on the side. It didn't seem to give enough of a poo poo about anything at all to be Hel herself, imo.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

The birb could just be backdrop for all we know, to liven up Helheim a little but its too early to signal anything because Baldr wasn't dead yet.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Maybe the giant bird doesn’t react to the dynamic duo loving up the place because it recognizes one of them as its father from the past. Doesn’t time move weirdly there?

Or, you know, Helheim is probably a natural realm of chaos that is always crumbling and re-forming randomly, and Kratos & BOY aren’t really doing anything that wouldn’t have happened to the place on any random Tuesday anyway.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Maybe it was a raven spying on Kratos

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Also, I wonder who is the Raven Master who was leaving all these notes.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

5. Loki breaks free, gathers up every soul in Helheim, every frost giant, every fire giant, and all the evils and all his children and

walk into Asgard with everything for a HUGE party.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

This game managed to have a satisfying ending while hinting at so, so much more epic poo poo that I'm gonna spend the next 3-4 years like a crack fiend waiting on every news drip for God of War: Ragnarok.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Kratos had loving better get Mjolnir, Gugnir, and at least one truly gently caress-off sword by #6

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Norse mythology references roosters in Valhalla, Jotunheim, and Helheim crowing to signal the beginning of ragnarok. My assumption is the bird is that, plus some poetic license on the side. It didn't seem to give enough of a poo poo about anything at all to be Hel herself, imo.

This is my guess. There's nothing to tie the goddess Hel to some giant bird, but the Ragnarok Cock just chilling there being like "nope, still not Ragnarok" makes sense.

Scholtz posted:

walk into Asgard with everything for a HUGE party.

lmao

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

This game managed to have a satisfying ending while hinting at so, so much more epic poo poo that I'm gonna spend the next 3-4 years like a crack fiend waiting on every news drip for God of War: Ragnarok.

There are still three more years of winter (the sequel) to attend to before we wait for the third game in the trilogy (Ragnarok).

Black August posted:

Kratos had loving better get Mjolnir, Gugnir, and at least one truly gently caress-off sword by #6

Hell yes. Norse mythology has all kinds of completely badass tools.

The one that would fit a God of War game along with the current toolset best would probably be Skidbladnir, the ship.

It’s the finest ship in the sea, large enough to hold all the gods, their armor, and their weapons, and always finds the right wind to take it where it needs to go, and was made with such craftsmanship that it can even be folded up and carried in a bag or one’s pocket when not needed.

I mean come on would that not be the most perfect home base for a video game.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

According to Cory Barlog on a recent podcast you can figure out that Atreus = Loki very early in the game somehow, in the same way that the Blades of Chaos are foreshadowed.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Frey's sword is something that would be interesting to see. It fights for itself and is blessed to never let harm come to him.

[Side note: the reason Frey gets his rear end kicked by Surtr at Ragnarok and all of mankind, living and dead, ceases to exist is because he traded this sword to his wingman so he'd hype him up to a hot giant lady]

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

According to Cory Barlog on a recent podcast you can figure out that Atreus = Loki very early in the game somehow, in the same way that the Blades of Chaos are foreshadowed.

I'm gonna guess it's deducing that Faye is probably short for Laufey and Kratos fits the description of Loki's father

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Also Jormungandr saying his voice is familiar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Plus how many half god Norse gods are there

• Locked thread