Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Alright, cleared Niflheim and Muspelheim, all that stands between me and a platinum trophy are some ravens and artifacts :effort:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Never platinum any game, it’s the opposite of fun

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Steve Yun posted:

Yeah, I started running around looking for the missing artefacts and the ravens, but meeeeehhhh, I don't care about them anymore.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Any game is worth obtaining all the achievements for if you like it enough. Unless it's pure tedium dodge-300-lightning-bolts style stuff, then imo you can skip them whether you like the game or not. God of War doesn't have any of those though, really.

And speaking of trophies, I gotta hand it to the devs for leaping right the hell over that "only 75-80% of players ever get the very first achievement" barrier.

Good job, developers.

edit: This means that approximately 2 million people have beat the poo poo out of baldur. Which is good because he deserves it

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 19:38 on May 30, 2018

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Steve Yun posted:

Bloodborne.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

shut up blegum posted:

Yeah, I started running around looking for the missing artefacts and the ravens, but meeeeehhhh, I don't care about them anymore.
You can always use a guide for that poo poo, way less tedious than just running around in circles.

Or like you said, say gently caress it :v:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Having a guide open on your phone while you go through the game makes getting the Ravens trivial.

I wouldn't try to platinum this game if doing so requires fulfilling all those "slaying quests" like "freeze a guy and then make him shatter by kicking him into another guy" because doing things in combat just because they check off an item on a list is the opposite of fun for me.

Like if I end up naturally doing all those challenges because I'm a badass then cool, but I'm definitely not gonna go into any fight and think "okay, so all I can do in this fight is freeze and kick, that's fun"

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

precision posted:

Having a guide open on your phone while you go through the game makes getting the Ravens trivial.

I wouldn't try to platinum this game if doing so requires fulfilling all those "slaying quests" like "freeze a guy and then make him shatter by kicking him into another guy" because doing things in combat just because they check off an item on a list is the opposite of fun for me.

Like if I end up naturally doing all those challenges because I'm a badass then cool, but I'm definitely not gonna go into any fight and think "okay, so all I can do in this fight is freeze and kick, that's fun"

Thats the only one I never got because it really never felt like it happened naturally.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It's also real fiddly to pin guys to walls, the criteria for when it will work or not seems fairly arbitrary.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

precision posted:

It's also real fiddly to pin guys to walls, the criteria for when it will work or not seems fairly arbitrary.

Oh I stand corrected, I forgot about that one.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Muspelheim is just a cascade of bad challenges

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I loved Muspelheim. They really ran through every permutation of the gameplay mechanics they could twist and turn into something else, it was awesome the whole way through. Here's me fighting enemies to the rock song from Alan Wake

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ql59JZ0hwIE&t=6389s

This game genuinely kept surprising me with how MUCH there is to it. They explored nearly every single mechanic I could think of in the sidequests and exploration and tons that I didn't even consider. They wrung the most they could out of the gameplay and I loved every second of it.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Muspelheim is just a cascade of bad challenges

I stopped on the no damage one. only tried it once and I'm sure I could have done it, but it didn't seem very fun. didn't do niflheim much either

they're both interesting ideas that didn't work for me

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

precision posted:

Not really. I checked a guide and they were collecting the ravens from the start of the game. I'd warp to the location and then had to figure out where I first got in that area without quick travel and then take the 'normal path'. I gave up pretty quick.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
So I am going through muspelheim, and I was nervous about the trials, but I cleared everything on the first try. I must be getting good, I thought to myself, climbing up to meet a Valkyrie who then proceeded to cave my skull in.

Crummelhorn
Nov 3, 2010

You gotta do like a million chalice dungeons to get that Yharnam Stone, buddy, that is a bad example

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

I just turned the difficulty to easy after the main game was completed, felt good to crush my enemies before I was done with the game

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I got all the fighting challenges pretty easily except the pin enemies to walls one. I got like two before I received the Platinum.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I never got most of the challenges that involved freezing enemies on my playthrough, mostly because the axe throw freeze is really rare on anything bigger than the bog standard sword wielding Doom Imps- and there's really not much reason to freeze them anyway other than style points. I saw it happen occasionally on larger/tougher enemies but I never figured out how I could make it happen on command.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Crummelhorn posted:

You gotta do like a million chalice dungeons to get that Yharnam Stone, buddy, that is a bad example

Same.

Victis posted:

I just turned the difficulty to easy after the main game was completed, felt good to crush my enemies before I was done with the game

Yea same I could tell from that I would’ve fuckin hated muspelheim

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

CJacobs posted:

I never got most of the challenges that involved freezing enemies on my playthrough, mostly because the axe throw freeze is really rare on anything bigger than the bog standard sword wielding Doom Imps- and there's really not much reason to freeze them anyway other than style points. I saw it happen occasionally on larger/tougher enemies but I never figured out how I could make it happen on command.

A lot of people don't seem to realize that Light and Heavy do different things when Axeing. Heavy is more likely to freeze enemies, whereas Light is used to trip them. I feel like this isn't really explained well, and if you keep the attack buttons on the shoulder I think a lot of people are defaulting to one throw or the other depending on which trigger they like better.

Another reason to use Classic controls (besides them making lots of other moves easier to do as well).

The only thing that isn't improved with Classic controls is the skill where you hold Light Attack to mark 5 dudes and throw at them but I also never found that skill to be very useful anyway (though it does look cool)

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I was several hours into the game when I realized you could throw with R1 lmao

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

acksplode posted:

Lol high five on this one

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

acksplode posted:

Huh? You have to throw your axe for a puzzle like 10 minutes in the game :confused:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

shut up blegum posted:

Huh? You have to throw your axe for a puzzle like 10 minutes in the game :confused:

you can also throw it with r2. afaik the game never forces you to use the light throw

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Ooh like that. Yeah, for me it was the other way around, I only started to use the heavy throw towards the end of the game.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The heavy throw feels a whole lot better. I very rarely used the light throw unless I was picking off weaklings in quick succession (and in most cases boy is a better way to do that).

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The game tells you that you can toss with R1 or R2 the first couple times you need to throw it, but the popup comes and goes fast.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

CJacobs posted:

The game tells you that you can toss with R1 or R2 the first couple times you need to throw it, but the popup comes and goes fast.

Yeah and that popup actually makes it worse because it could be read as "press either of these buttons because they both do the same thing" :(

I believe a Heavy throw to the noggin will freeze any human-size enemy. I know it can freeze Revenants.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

precision posted:

Yeah and that popup actually makes it worse because it could be read as "press either of these buttons because they both do the same thing" :(

Haha that is very true. drat. If it said

quote:

HOLD L2 TO AIM

PRESS R1 TO DO A LIGHT AXE THROW
PRESS R2 TO DO A HEAVY AXE THROW

PRESS TRIANGLE TO RECALL THE AXE

instead, that probably would do the job just fine.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Jun 2, 2018

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
How the hell are you supposed to read that in 5 point font in the middle of an axe fight

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The one in that second screenshot pops up when you need to throw the axe to solve a puzzle, so there's no excuse to not know that both buttons toss the axe at least. precision is right about it not specifying light or heavy though.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

CJacobs posted:

The one in that second screenshot pops up when you need to throw the axe to solve a puzzle, so there's no excuse to not know that both buttons toss the axe at least. precision is right about it not specifying light or heavy though.

My excuse is that aiming the axe evoked ADSing in a shooter, which triggered my muscle memory for firing a gun. And the game never steered me away from that

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

i have so many hours in this game and I’ll admit I think I completely forgot you could do a different throw and didn’t do it once past probably right after the tutorial that tells you

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Mandrel posted:

i have so many hours in this game and I’ll admit I think I completely forgot you could do a different throw and didn’t do it once past probably right after the tutorial that tells you

Well, to be fair, the way the tutorial is written doesn't make it very clear. The way to make it clear is to say press (button) for heavy throw, or (button) for light throw.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

acksplode posted:

Yea I didn’t find out until I figured there had to be a faster way to hit the bells for the urn coffins

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

The op mentions that there's something behind the house after you return. What is it?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I think it was determined that that line refers to the very first hidden chamber you come across in the intro, which you can finally reach in the post-game by chopping the vines that grow behind the house with the chains.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I went there as soon as I got back from hel looking for Valkyries and there wasn't even one there :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

CJacobs posted:

I think it was determined that that line refers to the very first hidden chamber you come across in the intro, which you can finally reach in the post-game by chopping the vines that grow behind the house with the chains.

you can get that a lot earlier than post game

• Locked thread