Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Clear off, fatso, this is a respectable establishment

I just might forgive everything that's not great about this season because the parrot is so loving adorable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

If itís set in the future, it could feature the wee baby Seamus and Abbiejean as adults.

Yeeesss make Archer and Cyril have to deal with each other because their children are married, this is what I want

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I realise I'm in a minority but I actually really like Cyril. As a character. And I think he'd shown actual growth over the course of the show, and the only thing I haven't liked the last couple of years has been that he's basically been a different character. A fun one, but not the same guy. I would like to see him be himself again. ...though it's really funny that Archer hates him enough to make him a Nazi.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

I like Cyril too and while he's got major faults I never hated him enough to agree with him being an actual Nazi. They could have at least gone the more morally ambiguous route. He doesn't have the makings of a true believer

He was *really* upset when he found out Krieger was probably a Nazi.

What's weird is I *hated* him the first time I watched through the show. He made me furious. Then I watched again and realised he's just got more normal human faults than the rest of that merry band of fuckups.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

tsob posted:

He was becoming a cheating dick well before Lana got pregnant, and blaming his cheating on basically everything bar himself. I like Cyril, but I like him as a "relatively normal guy constantly squashed under everyone else's heel and then going crazy at any sniff of power himself because he's so sick of being poo poo on". Him being a "nice guy" kind of makes sense in that he just doesn't want to face up to his own failings so he starts putting it on other people while building a facade of himself as an oppressed but actually nice person who's just caught in lovely circumstances all the time. He kind of reminds me of Rimmer from Red Dwarf in that regard.

Yes! Exactly. He feels very well-realised as someone who had a horrendously over-critical parent and now deals with any criticism by either being crushed, or deflecting, or both. He's a lot like Rimmer who was also my favourite person in Red Dwarf, so maybe I just enjoy that character, I dunno. I enjoyed seeing him start to get his feet under him a bit, start to get slowly a bit more confidence, easing back from some of his more repulsive behaviour.

I think Archer hates Cyril so much because he's a personal threat, rather than a professional one. And possibly because he's jealous of Cyril's big willy. Men are very mysterious.

e: It was also very noticeable this year that everyone reacted to Fuchs with instant hostility and contempt before he'd had a chance to earn it, which in context of Archer's feelings is hilarious and I'm honestly not complaining

HopperUK fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jun 16, 2018

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

tsob posted:

Lana was quite cozy with him prior to realizing she was probably being scammed since Fuchs hadn't paid her, and several other characters were fairly neutral to him initially; like Mallory and Rey. Sheryl was more against him because he was kind of a douche to her when she was having dinner with him, using cheesy lines about how he was going to eat her or something that just made her roll her eyes and use sarcasm on him. Really, I don't think anyone's treatment of him was unearned.

The fact Cyril's analogue in this season is German probably made him less likable to a lot of the cast anyway, given the more definite time period and recent history with both World War I only 20 years ago and Germany currently antagonizing a lot of Europe in the build up to World War II. Even insulated as whatever Pacific island they're on is, a lot of the cast seemed somewhat up to do on recent news so likely to hold Germans somewhat in contempt just for their nationality rather than based on any personal feelings.

That's fair! Oh no what a shame, I need to watch again.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Postal Parcel posted:

Outside of Krieger, I think everyone had sex with at least one other person in the office.

I 100% agree with this though. It's pretty funny to see him finally get some authority(e.g. Figgis Detective Agency), feel as if he's in control, and then get squashed by the real big dog, Mallory.

Hell almost everyone in that office has had sex with Cyril. Mostly under some kind of duress.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

tsob posted:

I remember him loving Carol/Cheryl, Lana, Mallory and Rey at the very least. Has Pam ever had sex with him? Is it just Archer and Kreiger who haven't?

Pam was riding him while he was unconscious in the bathroom, same incident when Ray got molesty with him. I think it's just Archer and Krieger, yeah.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Crackers is the best character in anything ever written. Now I think every show should convert a character to a parrot for one season. Preferably unremarked.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

This looks like a lot of fun to me. Yay.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Hmmmm lack of Ray in that trailer. Maybe he wised up and got a better job.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I love season 5. It's okay to like things!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

On a scale of 'not much' to 'just enough', how much Ray is in the current season? He's my favourite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

'Just Enough' he gets some great lines too, especially in the final episode.

Hooray, thank you.