Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

VictorianQueerLit posted:

I think the idea is that however different the characters are acting it's part of an ongoing storyline. Ray, Cheryl and Pam, however they have changed, aren't even in these seasons. This is basically an Archer spinoff anthology where every year every character is reset to zero in a new exotic location. Archer isn't even in the show now.

The difference in the wacky tonal shifts in the past is that the cocaine stuff was setup and handled in the weird world they had established. They callback to Pam's street racing days. They reference and build on the universe. They didn't just teleport to 1980s Miami and shuffle all of the characters around with different names only to completely abandon the idea entirely at the end of season 5.

Everything is on hold, for two or three years, so that the show runners can get really wacky with dream settings and dream characters that don't exist.

Yeah, this is pretty much what I was about to post. They sold Archer to me as a spy comedy, and the characters that I signed up to watch are supposed to be spies and their wacky support staff, or at least these same characters moving on with their lives after ISIS is shut down. If you want to have H. Jon Benjamin and whoever voice a bunch of unrelated characters in a noir setting, that's fine I guess, but it's not really Archer. (HJB is probably the worst example here, because Archer's been the one character they've represented pretty faithfully, but I can't remember any of the other actors' names offhand.)

And I really didn't think their completely unrelated Noircher show was funny enough or told an interesting enough story to hold my interest all by itself. If they'd incorporated it into the real world story even a little bit? But no.

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Apr 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Okay then, the show you want is either cancelled or on long hiatus. Condolences!

Yeah, and it sucks, and I wish they wouldn't keep calling this one Archer. :( Thanks for the chat, though.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

That's fine, but he was still Ray Gillette. We have moved from "See the wacky cast of the spy agency and their misadventures" to "See the misadventures of this wacky cast of characters voiced by the Archer actors". I think I said this before, but I signed up to watch Sterling Archer, the world's most dangerous secret agent, and his ruthless mother and so on, and even when they disbanded ISIS and starting selling cocaine or whatever, we were still at least following the same characters. If they'd said "Archer's canceled, check this new show starring H. Jon Benjamin and Aisha Tyler and the same animators", I'd think I'd be a little more accepting, but as-is I'm a little frustrated that they're trying to sell me the same show with an entirely new premise and cast of characters.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Was this the season finale already? Holy poo poo. After all my bitching I was actually starting to enjoy the last couple episodes, the setting and the crew finally grew on me a bit.

Now we're off to a new setting and crew. :(

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

GreenNight posted:

So you want it to be like Simpsons.

Unironically yes.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

I kinda liked that one. I'm a sucker for most things space-related and lacking embarrassing alien prosthetics. We'll have to see where they take it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Aw, I'm gonna miss that guy.

Loving this new season, though. I remember complaining through the last few seasons that, yeah, they might have had a few good jokes here and there, but I signed up to watch super spy Sterling Archer (codename: Duchess) and his wacky co-workers, and I just could not bring myself to give a gently caress about a bunch of season-long spinoffs starring a bunch of people who mostly look and act like the characters from one of my favorite shows, but have none of the backstory or built-up chemistry. Now that he's finally out of the coma I'm enjoying the poo poo out of the return to form, and I'm even more disappointed we wasted so much time on it.