Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Danger Island may have an arc but it's a lot funnier than Dreamland was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

The Archer staff were working on a post apoc show that never made it past the pilot stage.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Yeah I thought these were ten episode seasons?

Unless next year is 12?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

If we wanted to go that route it'd be much funnier for Archer to end up with a pacemaker or some other implant that makes him enough of a "cyborg" to set off his neurosis without giving him anything combat wise in return.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Davros1 posted:

Sterling is like a more intelligent Xander Crews.

Shame there aren't any more seasons after the next. Archer as superheroes could be good

Reed has said there's a possibility the show may continue now. We really have no idea.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I think Reed walked that back a year or two ago. If they have a good idea for another season they’ll do it, he was just sort of burned out by the real world seasons.

He also had some medical difficulties when he was writing the noir season and related depression, but Danger Island reinvigorated his love of the show.

That being said, I think I also read that he wants to hand it off to a new showrunner and only return if they do a movie.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

OAquinas posted:

How many episodes are in this season anyway?

Eight like the last few iirc.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

muscles like this! posted:

Anyone else think Lana sounded... off? Like Aisha Tyler had a cold while recording her lines or something.

Pam sounded a bit different as well. Could just be a change in recording equipment.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Nah, Reed's said he loves doing the character. He's also said that Ray isn't in the opening credits because he doesn't want his name appearing twice and stealing more of the spotlight.

My guess is Ray's diminishing role is part of Reed's desire to hand the show off to a new producer if it continues. This is the longest he's ran a series for.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Mr. Deadly's random gestures were great but yeah that was a solid episode all around.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Earth is DEFINITELY the point where Archer wakes up. He's really obviously fighting it now.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Jul 18, 2019

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

This last one and Mr. Deadly show the writers definitely still have that spark if they get the right concept to play with.

Really the weakest episodes were the two Barry ones this season.

Edit: \/ it never clicked with me why I got tired of Barry so fast until I read that. You're right, he's best when he's a shitlord everybody dunks on just like Archer.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jul 18, 2019

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Mr. Deadly probably belongs in the top ten episodes of the last 8 or so seasons.

Have to exclude seasons one and two because of how crazy solid they are though

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

One of the ideas they actually floated for the coma seasons was the gang working at "Archerbees"

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Yeah, Mr. Deadly and the one where they invaded the space pirate ship were definite highlights alongside a really solid finale.

As for Lana next season, I'm torn between her having moved on but now dealing with Archer back in her life or her actually holding out hope for him.

There was obvious affection growing between them and it was good for both of them as people. To write all of that off would suck.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Aug 3, 2019

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

The completely changed character dynamics are going to be a lot of fun.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Adam Reed's talked about wanting to end the show with a TV movie which could be fun but at the same time some episodes feel stretched as they are.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

I also feel they might drive eachother nuts if they got serious.

Their relationship being casual and low stakes is why it works.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Small White Dragon posted:

Don't Archer and Lana have a daughter? (I know we're early in the season, but it seems like that ought to be important.)

Lana has a daughter that Archer did accept as his (even though there were strong implications Cyril was the father.)

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Keltar posted:

Really want to see some personal growth for Archer this season instead of bringing everyone else back down.

Him growing is the only way the coma seasons will feel that relevant as well.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Cojawfee posted:

The first two felt a bit weird for me, what with Cheryl being weird and basically everyone was being weird. I get it's been 3 years for them, but we've been seeing the standard version of each character for those 3 years and now they are suddenly different. Also, it pisses me off that I pay for a Hulu subscription but I have to pirate the episodes in order to watch them at higher than 480p because Hulu just doesn't serve HD video on the website.

I made the mistake of paying for the season on google play and FXX still hasn't released the first two episodes to them.

I've seen this happen before. It's usually only the first airing that's affected but still.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

QuarkJets posted:

Most of the characters are basically the same, it is really just Cheryl and Ray who have significant differences and Cheryl doesn't count. Figgis is the same dude but started working out

Nah. Cyril certainly has developed some competence at the spy game and a bit of a backbone.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

It's Krieger. He'll have another Priest inspired van within a couple episodes.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Yeah I was kind of hoping this season would be a proper finale of some sort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Arven posted:

So did someone sit the writers down and make a rule that callbacks weren't allowed anymore? It seemed like they made up 50% of the dialog the last couple season, and their elimination alone fixed the show.

It's more likely just the new blood in the writer's room. Reed has always been heavy on the callbacks but most of his shows only ran a couple seasons.