Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 23, 2007

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Last season was the first one I couldn't finish. I just do not give a single solitary gently caress about Archer's coma dreams. Literally nothing of any importance or note is happening in these seasons. It's not even recognizably the same goddamn characters other than Archer himself. There is nothing for me in these stupid goddamn loving coma-dream seasons and I just want them to end so this show can get one last season of poo poo I slightly care about. But I have a feeling that's too much to ask, and it's just going to be more stupid loving coma bullshit in the last season.
What are you even talking about? It's not like this show has ever had any kind of continuity or consequences for anything that happens. It's always been a vague excuse for whatever wacky high jinks the writers wanted to put the characters into that week. And the characters are still just as much themselves as they ever were - if you compare Ray, Cheryl or Pam from season one to season four they're basically completely different characters anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 23, 2007

VictorianQueerLit posted:

Everything is on hold, for two or three years, so that the show runners can get really wacky with dream settings and dream characters that don't exist.
None of the characters exist. It's all fiction. What's "on hold"? What are you even waiting for them to get back to? There's never been more than the barest trace of continuity between episodes to begin with.

Tiggum
Oct 23, 2007

fishing with the fam posted:

Which is true of every piece of fictional media ever produced.

"I was really invested in the main characters growth and journey, whi..."
"YEAH, WELL MICHAEL CORLEONE DOESN'T ACTUALLY EXIST SO WHO GIVES A gently caress."
It's not though. Some media is about a continuing story. Archer isn't and never has been. Nothing has ever mattered in this show. It's all been a series of excuses to get these characters into new, funny situations right from the beginning. This season is no different, because Archer has never cared about continuity or character development.

If there'd been a dramatic shift in tone, or if the show had gone from serialised to episodic, then you might have a point. But it didn't. Remember how one time they went to space? Remember how another time it was suddenly revealed that Cheryl was super rich and cared a lot about trains? Remember how most of the characters were completely different people in season one?

The only thing that's changed is the excuse. Previously when they wanted Archer to become a pirate king they worked it (loosely) into the spy agency backstory. Then they realised that they didn't actually need to do that because the spy agency was only ever an excuse to put these characters into different scenarios every week.

Tiggum
Oct 23, 2007

fishing with the fam posted:

The show has become increasingly serialized and reliant on plot.
It hasn't though. Even in the more apparently serialised seasons (like Vice) the episodes were mostly just stand-alone random bullshit that could be played in any order. The only exceptions are explicit two or three parters.

Tiggum
Oct 23, 2007

tarlibone posted:

And I noticed that the word "Seamus" popped up on the screen; perhaps a call back to last season.

Last season? I thought it was a reference to the wee baby Seamus from season two.

Tiggum
Oct 23, 2007

Rocksicles posted:

Isn't a Tonne metric?

A tonne is often referred to as a metric ton.

Tiggum
Oct 23, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

Ray is supposed to be the Companion from Firefly?
Certainly that was the joke with the geisha outfit

Laterite posted:

The stuff with Ray was terrible. I miss when he had some depth.

twistedmentat posted:

Also I am confused that Cheryl is now Carol

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Archer and Lana at each other's throats again.
Those all seem like callbacks to season one to me and I'm assuming there's a reason.

Tiggum
Oct 23, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

You can jump into these seasons without having seen old ones, yeah?

You could, but there are a hell of a lot of callbacks that you're obviously not going to get if you haven't seen the thing it's calling back to. I'm not sure you[d be missing much of value but some of the stuff they say and do probably makes more sense with that context.

Tiggum
Oct 23, 2007

Honestly, I liked last week's better. Which is pretty typical for a two-parter, in any show. Hopefully next week will be more of a stand-alone.

Tiggum
Oct 23, 2007

Well, this show's bad now.

It hasn't been great since probably season 4, but the last couple at least had their moments. This entire episode was just... nothing.

Tiggum
Oct 23, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

They dialed the callbacks up to 1000 this season and it's easily the worst part.

Yeah, callbacks work really well when they complement fresh jokes, but when you're just falling back on them all the time they're irritating. I think they're deliberately doing callbacks as a plot thing¹ - that it's Archer, in a coma, remembering his own past - but on an episode-by-episode basis it's really not working.

¹ There've been a lot of references to season one: Lana and Cyril dating; Archer and Pam being adversarial rather than friends; Ray being a one-note stereotype; Cristal; etc.

Tiggum
Oct 23, 2007

tarlibone posted:

This was pretty good for a finale. I would have liked to see a full hour so they could explore the walls of reality breaking down around Archer, but what we got was good, and the montage at the end where we take a tour of Archer Through The Ages was neat.
They could have scrapped episodes 1-6 and just started with episode seven, then had things gradually break down over the course of several episodes instead of Archer just starting to get flashes of reality at the last minute. And maybe make it a six episode season instead of 9 since they clearly didn't have enough material for the amount of time they needed to fill.

Tiggum
Oct 23, 2007

Well, that was quite good.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Pam and Archer have such a cute friendship I kind of wish they'd just let the two of them date.
I'm glad they don't. It always makes for a refreshing change when TV writers let a man and woman just be friends.

Tiggum
Oct 23, 2007

"I hope these four little girls are just his friends, but the resemblance is uncanny."

Tiggum
Oct 23, 2007

I thought Dreamland was the best of the themed seasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 23, 2007

Some excellent lines in this episode:

I'm concerned about the mental health of them good old boys!

Let me call Michel Foucault and get back to you. Click, sorry to hear that. Apparently Foucault's still dead.

Say what you will about the Swiss, but they sure hate the poo poo out of horses.

A: Introspection is the enemy of happiness, so my advice is: don't. Always worked for me.
L: Has it though?
A: I don't know! That's the beauty.