Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.

Grimey Drawer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcKk22LNdJE
The main problem with Archer Vice is that the stuff they showed in the teaser was way cooler than what actually ended up in the show. The first half of the teaser was pretty much a preview of the show, but then there is a ton of cool scenes in the latter half that never actually happened. I wonder if they changed their mind or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.

Grimey Drawer

Yeah, having them fail at the exact same task over and over is just boring and repetitive. It would have been more interesting if they had been allowed some initial success, only to fail at the more high-level task of trying to run a drug business.

Also, part of what kept the spy agency plots interesting is that the character's really were highly competent at some things, and often managed to bumble their way to successful mission completion in the end. They didn't just fail at everything all the time.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

This episode was ok, but it was no Weir of Hermiston.

Seriously, that was great. This season has been getting waaay better the last couple of episodes. Now I am actually excited to see where they go with it. Archer and Pam's relationship is definitely the highlight.

Also, now I kinda want to read the Weir of Hermiston. It sounds pretty cool.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Megillah Gorilla posted:

So, what IS Mallory, now?

I think she is supposed to be a Star Trek holodeck style hologram that can take physical shape.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Jerkface posted:

Really liked all the gags in this episode. Especially with the bit with the sentry guns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IS2PtmM9mwU

In case anyone else didn't get the reference at first.

"Director's cut?"

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Aug 2, 2019

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Now that they are a spy agency again, I kinda wish they would go back to being an actual organization with minor employees doing stuff in the background, the main characters having different functions, etc. They still seem to be sticking to the late-season status quo, where the agency consists entirely of the main characters, who all go on field ops as one big group.

Oh, well, the episodes are still reasonably funny, and I will be sticking around to the end.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Yay, the KGB is back! I always liked the modern-day cold war setting and was sad that they abandoned it in later seasons.

This episode was honestly season 1-3 quality for me; lot's of solid jokes. Cyril nodding in the background when they talked about Barry's amazing penis was a great detail.

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Oct 1, 2020

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

SimonChris posted:

Now that they are a spy agency again, I kinda wish they would go back to being an actual organization with minor employees doing stuff in the background, the main characters having different functions, etc. They still seem to be sticking to the late-season status quo, where the agency consists entirely of the main characters, who all go on field ops as one big group.

Oh, well, the episodes are still reasonably funny, and I will be sticking around to the end.

Also, they seemed to have listened to my feedback because both of the recent episodes have had Cyril, Lana, and Archer (and Barry) handle the field missions, while the rest of the cast have their own b-plot back at the office. Just like in the good old days!

All that is missing from the first seasons is the sense of the agency being a larger organization with wacky extras doing stuff in the background, references to other agents, etc. The office building seems oddly empty with just the main cast there.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

pixaal posted:

I think that's the point they are just starting back up and are a small elite team still which is why everyone was going on every mission. Watch them recruit every rival team they ran into to fill the roster and it ends with everyone they hated being a big happy family together. (Archer really shouldn't go for that type of ending, but since it's 2020 it might be the right ending).

That's a good point. Speaking of rival teams, I wonder what happened to ODIN? They introduced an entirely new rival spy agency last episode, but everyone seems to have forgotten about their old rivals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Another great episode! Cyril and Archer realizing that they are best friends in their own way was quite moving.

I like how the characters are basically saying what we are all thinking. Yes, Krieger, it is just like the good old days.