Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

I think the weakest parts of this season (and the last, like, three) is whenever they rehash the old running gags. There's been two "well I guess just pout!" already, and neither had a twist or any kind of punch as heavy as Ray staring Archer down as he rolls out on a wheelchair. The voicemail gag is funny because every time it happens it's even more ridiculous than any previous situation, and they subverted it half the time.

The strongest part of this season is definitely Crackers. Krieger is definitely coming out the strongest in the coma seasons. I genuinely enjoyed the Aaron Liebowitz episode last season, even if it tonally wasn't Archer at all. Show still good.

"Not as much as this map, though."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Cheryl hasn’t actual had any coerced sex so far, and I think it’s a fair assumption that she’s not going to. If she did, that would be way worse than selling coke, yes.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Unconscious rape is definitely the skeeviest thing the show has joked about, but I daresay that coerced sex might be a tad worse.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Yeah, for all the poo poo they got, ISIS usually achieved what they set out to do. The Vice Gang didn’t accomplish anything until they stumbled into the CIA weapons shipment. I like the second half of Vice, but the standalone episodes in that season are by far the show’s weakest.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

They’re gonna find it at the end of the season and spend the entirety of seasons 10 trying to sell it unsuccessfully, but swapping it for various increasingly illegal contraband until they end up with a literal, not figurative, ton of cocaine.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

I'll be honest, the rogue gallery of invincible cyborgs is my least favorite part of the show, and I'm glad mecha-Hitler Cyril did not turn out to be one. Cyborg Archer would be a step in the wrong direction.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Who's saying this is still part of the coma dream? That could well be the real wake-up.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

If it’s set in the future, it could feature the wee baby Seamus and Abbiejean as adults.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

That reminds me, Archer was very clearly envisioning himself as Rip Riley this season, and had Len Trexler be Mother's counterpart in the previous one. Did Dreamland have any other Dad parallels? Is there any Dad that could have a major Aliens role?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Archer already had vampires, though, back in season 5.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

I would definitely watch the poo poo out of a vampire Cyril episode, especially if it has a protracted fight scene where Archer finally leads him into direct sunlight, only to have him start sparkling awkwardly.

Naturally, Archer would end up defeating the vampire with his BAC.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Isn't his first line "I call him fister Roboto"? I remember that being a hell of a way to break the mute spell.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

I can't believe nobody told me this was out. I had to learn about it from Netflix, of all places.

Binged the whole thing over the course of my sunday. I wasn't a fan of the first two episodes, but all of the standalones were solid as hell and I'd watch another three seasons of those. Kinda mixed feelings about Archer's breakdown; it wasn't exactly subtle and the rapey murder attempt on Lana was really uncomfortable. Him going after a giant reptile with Predator powers in the Picard episode was also way more heroic than his last stand against Barry, and I cannot believe that got glossed over.

The montage and wake-up scene were also good. I swear they re-animated all of those scenes while sticking to the older styles, because some of those frames were hella tight.

It sounds like the next (last?) season is gonna be more arcy than episodic, which is a shame because I think they do the latter a lot better, but I am on board.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Man, I haven't liked Barry episodes for like a decade, but somehow this was the perfect conclusion to their arc.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

ODIN never recovered from their boss being a head of lettuce and their top agent defecting to the KGB. It’s a lot easier to just create a splinter cell or five under new names than to try to patch up that mess.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

I'm pretty sure the song is in Spanish. I caught the word "mańanitas," at least.

And in the episode you're thinking of, the Germans sing It's a Long Way to Tipperary and the pilot is based on one of Archer's prep school bullies from season 7. Barry doesn't feature at all in that one coma dream.

...Yes, I've seen the coma seasons a couple times.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Things are not at all going the way I expected, and I am here for it.

I'll actually be kinda disappointed if Lana and Archer get back together.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

I respect the Noir season for taking the uncomfortable “Krieger is a nazi scientist” gag and turn it into something compelling. Crackers was just a delight. I liked those seasons fine, but Krieger was def the highlight of both.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

I was just thinking that one more episode didn't really seem like enough for a proper send-off, but I'm not sure that's where I was going.

I currently believe they can pull off at least one more season, though.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

I am a bit let down that Lana's husband turned out to be such a massive turd, though. I liked his brief tenure as a non-toxic person interacting with the old gang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

What was the deal with all the hallucinations towards the end? Are they hinting that Archer is still in a coma?

What, is he gonna wake up again next season, only this time the gang is a successful drug cartel?