Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

I wasn't thrilled, but - that was a lot of setup to establish in twenty minutes and it was done in a way that felt lazy. But: twenty minutes. Everyone has to be established in this new iteration, the situation and backstory need to be filled in, and the catchphrases must be fired off in salute to remind the channelflipping chuds what they're watching. It's a terse pilot. But we also see the palette of references being drawn on, and in a way the great stories and tropes of space opera become characters themselves. It might become really fun, all the right pieces are there, but I like it when Reed gets experimental, and this seems a little by the numbers in terms of setup and jokes.

The entire thing looked gorgeous. As a visual homage to, like, the entirety of space opera from gungy lived in cockpits to hyperdrive, as a huge fan of the genre, I thought it was spectacular, and visually distinct. Worth it for that alone, and it's still great to listen to these actors do their thing even if you're rolling your eyes at how many times you've heard that catchphrase.

That might even be deliberate: here's all the catchphrases, even Space Phrasing, but the fan service is over. Now it's time for Barry-6.

also those assholes on Reddit will never let us hear the end of Bort

Kesper North fucked around with this message at 08:57 on May 30, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Not as different as Mallory sounded a season or two ago, it was like she had a cold while she was recording. They all sounded normal to me this time though.

I wonder if there is some symbolism hinting at a relationship between Archer's coma, the fact that he wanted his friends and family to stay in stasis - stay the same, while he had his coma-dreamtime fun - and Lana's pleading that they finally return to Earth as promised, which seems like a metaphor for him waking up. It could be that in among the science fiction references we start getting some Total Recall/Matrix bleed-through.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

tarlibone posted:

Thanks for snaping our dumbledores, man. Really appreciate that. Now if you'll excuse me, I might as well crumple up my TV and toss it into the trash.

Well, I'm sorry, Doctor Venture, but as per the terms of the Guild-OSI treaty I can't be held responsible if the show becomes too predictable and my bullshit psychoanalysis of a fictional character's dream actually proves correct (And I followed the TVIV spoiler policy!)

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

tarlibone posted:

Personally, I had my eyes peeled for a sign that Archer's dream world was starting to fray. I seem to remember someone from the show saying that the coma worlds might start breaking down as these seasons go along. I mean, Dreamland was pretty straightforward noir, albeit with robots and the usual Archer nonsense (like the common radiator fix of using a potato, which everyone keeps in the potato compartment). Then, Danger Island had a couple moments where things didn't make perfect sense within the world of the show. Mainly, I'm thinking about how Pam casually mentioned a "catch-twenty-two," and Archer correctly (given the time setting) told her that that wasn't a thing yet.

If that does happen, I hope it's done well. Maybe we'll get some reality checking in on him, or maybe a Dreamland or Danger Island character will make an appearance. (Maybe the Pooveys will fight each other.)

I'd be down for all of this, though it makes me kinda wish Reed was a Farscape fan so that it could come from in-universe brain fuckery: Have Barry in a Scorpius-style cooling suit instead of a robot body, have Barry put Archer in the Aurora Chair, all of a sudden he's getting flashes of these OTHER MEMORIES including the real one. But I keep getting the impression Archer is somehow self-aware that this is a dream, with the "not a thing yet" style references, as you mention.

tarlibone posted:

Or, maybe it ends with Archer finding Woodhouse.

For Archer: Aww, sweet.
For Woodhouse: [long-suffering, exhausted sigh]

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

FactsAreUseless posted:

Pam: At first we were fighting, but soon it became more like dancing.

Other Pam: Only this one doesn't need a bionic dick to get me off!

Heard this in their voice, snorting San Pellegrino on my keyboard.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Payndz posted:

The Let's Read James Bond thread in The Book Barn, after repeatedly noting that Sterling Archer is really more of an homage to the book version of Bond than a parody (book Bond is a perpetually drunken lecherous gently caress-up who repeatedly wins only by a combination of sheer luck and being really good at violence), recently quoted an exchange of dialogue verbatim from Goldfinger, but with Bond and Tilly Masterson replaced by appropriate pictures of Archer and Lana.

It not only fits perfectly, but you can't not hear it in their voices.

Thanks, I went and found that exchange, it was great. I honestly hope they do more of that!

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

I actually quite enjoyed that, but I'm not quite sure if I'm ashamed.

Classic Archer.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Atlas Hugged posted:

This would have been an excellent episode of Farscape.

Now I want Browder as a guest star as one of those hypermasculine foils Archer always has a giant crush on.

Speaking of masculinity, what the gently caress is up with Ray this season. There are so many better ways to use that character than one-second sight gags about a Firefly joke that was tasteless the first time. I miss organized and competent Ray; Lana needed the backup and both characters suffer without one another to play off of.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Post your dreamboat showrunner to succeed Reed

and

Pitch what Adam Reed's next project should be.

I'll post mine, but I gotta think about it for a bit.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

That was great. A throwback to the spyfi days, but in space.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

tarlibone posted:

And it was surprisingly effective. Even Cyril was useful, albeit accidentally (by becoming a cowering distraction).

Suppressing his inner fire!

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

The ending reminded me of Sealab 2021. Heads up, Kingston!

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

I'm guessing Mallory is more of a human upload than an AI. Aging is for rubes and that bitch Trudy Beakman.

In which I finally realize there's a James Bond reference in Mallory's name

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Milo and POTUS posted:

There an ep tonight?

Next episode July 10. Shows tend not to air new material on holidays even though that's when most of us have more time to watch.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

No.1 Special posted:

Pretty good finale. Jessica Walter was great in the last part. Can't wait to see if Archer is able to claw his way back.

The silent pan on her things in that scene was fantastic.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

When was Archer ever going to go out with grace. I mean the man is a living faux pas.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

My brain still says "Jade Falcons" when it sees this, I am sorry

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

And sometimes, in drag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

tarlibone posted:

Didn't someone take the writing duties over from Adam Reed? That might explain the renewed enthusiasm.

There's a team now. I've noticed that some of the author credits are better than others.

I suspect Adam Reed is still doing the finale.