Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Are they gonna have Cyril speaking german the entire season?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Iím just having a hard time getting invested in it because archer is just going to wake up and nothing will have mattered.

e: itís still a fun show to watch every week, but itís just that in the back of my mind none of this matters so I just donít care about any of the characters.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Tiggum posted:

It's not though. Some media is about a continuing story. Archer isn't and never has been. Nothing has ever mattered in this show. It's all been a series of excuses to get these characters into new, funny situations right from the beginning. This season is no different, because Archer has never cared about continuity or character development.

If there'd been a dramatic shift in tone, or if the show had gone from serialised to episodic, then you might have a point. But it didn't. Remember how one time they went to space? Remember how another time it was suddenly revealed that Cheryl was super rich and cared a lot about trains? Remember how most of the characters were completely different people in season one?

The only thing that's changed is the excuse. Previously when they wanted Archer to become a pirate king they worked it (loosely) into the spy agency backstory. Then they realised that they didn't actually need to do that because the spy agency was only ever an excuse to put these characters into different scenarios every week.

Okay but the thing is, those things you mentioned all ďmatteredĒ and affected character development. Iíll give you the going into space thing, but Cheryl being megarich comes back time after time. People being different from season 1 is fine too because theyíve ďgrownĒ and weíve grown with them by watching the show. Pam revealing that sheís actually a badass rear end kicker is the reason Archer sees her in his comatose dreams the way he does.

But every single thing thatís happening in this and last season donít matter because itís all fake. Itís all in Archerís head. The characters arenít growing or developing anymore because they literally arenít the same characters weíve gotten to know in previous seasons. When Arched wakes up every single thing that happened just goes poof.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I like that they brought back Woodhouse _______________________________ even if it was for one scene.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Iím watching the first episode right now. Is Lanaís husband Action Jack Barker from Silicon Valley?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

mobby_6kl posted:

I certainly hope all the van names are Judas Priest puns from now on.

Watching it now too, and he did look and sound like Jack Barker. I had to check imdb but it is indeed Stephen Tobolowsky voicing him! I'm sure he made his billions with his conjoined triangle of success theory.

E: both points were already made before so never mind

Oh yeah I see those posts now haha. I saw there were 2 episodes up so I just íed to not get spoiled.