Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

That wasn't bad, I just felt like it was all setup. I hate to say this but dumb throwaway jokes were lacking last season but I thought it was because they were trying to be true to noir. Not sure what reason they would have to not do that this season. Ray's "I'm shocked" bit was the only one I could think of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

My only real beef with how the show has changed over time is I don't find it as funny as it used to be. It might be the same jokes they used wore thin or they already had everybody sleep with everybody else or just writers' fatigue but compare to how much was going on in episodes like "Once Bitten" which, even though it has that weak multiple minute Heaven Can Wait sequence, is packed full of jokes [and is one of my favorite pieces of TV].

I'm enjoying Danger Island ok but the only joke that's really got me so far this season is Crackers hissing "it's a knob" through the door in last week's episode.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

After a weak start IMO I'm digging how the season is picking up, the whole "reverse ace" bit was brilliant and I like how Cheryl is flipping control over Mallory.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Who's saying this is still part of the coma dream? That could well be the real wake-up.

I'm guessing that's going to be a primary running joke of the season.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Why would they put a re-used joke [cricket bat] in the sizzle reel for their new season?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I think Reed walked that back a year or two ago. If they have a good idea for another season they’ll do it, he was just sort of burned out by the real world seasons.

He also had a different show he was working on when he was talking about ending Archer that never made it past the pilot.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Was the giant chicken robot an Aqua Teen Hunger Force homage? This was a much better episode even though it still feels like "Archer characters going through the motions." Much like the last two it will probably be a better watch as binging instead of weekly. I'm guessing the affable yet useless Bort may pan out to be a major league supervillain.

tarlibone posted:

Could this be a sign that Archer's dream world is starting to crack a little? Like, his consciousness is becoming aware of the fake nature of his current adventure?
I'm going to guess these seasons are based on the TV in his hospital room. There was the applause break when Pam entered in the first episode as well. Or Pam might just like pretending she's on an 80s sitcom.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I feel like this show, more than most, has suffered from the industry-wide switch from episodic to serial format. One of the great things about early season Archer was them having some ridiculous adventure and it all wrapping up [or not] in 20-ish minutes with some continuity used as jokes. I know thanks to streaming most shows are required to be serial now but 'd also not be surprised to hear the writing team decided to switch on their own. I know when I rewatched Dreamland on streaming over two days it felt way less awkward than it did when I watched it one week at a time.

qirex fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jun 13, 2019

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I actually enjoyed that episode other than the lazy setup.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Ray was pretty much a walking “France surrenders” joke last season but he had a few good lines.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Ray got to actually do something!

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I liked the gag in episode 2 where Mallory energy-sphered through a wall and dropped her drink.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Barry vs. Archer was never that funny, watching everyone else around Barry dunk on him constantly never got old. Episode 2 needed space Len Trexler to tell him not to be lovely.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I could have used a little more "mystery cube hi-jinks" and a little less "extended scene of Archer trying to choke Lana with a magazine" in that one but I see where they're going.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I’ve been rewatching some of my old favorites and it’s insane how much snappier they felt when they were more episodic and less serial. There’s more jokes in the cold open of “once bitten” than some whole episodes of Dreamland.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Halfway through ep 1 I was thinking “I wonder how long it takes them all to revert back to type?” and it turned out the answer was 2/3 of the way through the next episode.

I liked the early season-style “kind of accomplish the mission [but also kill a ton of people and blow everything up]” success conditions. Also “this hurts so much more than the hands!”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Was the jungle cat noise whenever someone jumped on the sculpture from Darcelle Jones of Team Jaguar? Darcy Carden's read felt flat, I didn't even recognize it was her until I saw her name in the credits.